PDA

View Full Version : How to clamp into a Breezer dropout.

pcxmbfj
05-30-2014, 11:45 AM
I like the breezer dropouts that are on a couple of my bikes but always questioned whether there is a best way to clamp the wheel quick release.

So I pose that question to the forum.

donevwil
05-30-2014, 11:50 AM
I went so far as to dedicate a pair of old Campy skewers (any similar internal cam skewer would do, Shimano, etc) to my bike, regardless of wheels used, so I can run the skewer arm parallel to and beneath the chainstay.

sokyroadie
05-30-2014, 12:22 PM
so I can run the skewer arm parallel to and beneath the chainstay.

On the Serotta Fondo I have the skewer has to be pointing at least 45 deg. down to clear the dropout "hood".

Jeff

christian
05-30-2014, 12:27 PM
My hampco has breezer drop outs and fender mounts. I run the skewer lever straight back. No other real option.

eddief
05-30-2014, 12:36 PM
purposely spec my latest ti custom frame with flat drop outs. Not fond of hooded ones at all.

redir
05-30-2014, 12:49 PM
I don't like these dropouts for this very reason. I just point them straight back and down slightly.

donevwil
05-30-2014, 01:00 PM
My hampco has breezer drop outs and fender mounts. I run the skewer lever straight back. No other real option.

This is what I do on my wife's Hampsten as well.

teleguy57
05-30-2014, 02:40 PM
Right now I have all Campy skewers on my massive quiver of 3 wwhole heelsets. I'll probably hunt more down as I really like how they work on my Hampsten -- lever forward under the CS.

54ny77
05-30-2014, 02:42 PM
whatever way the skewer closes and locks most securely, as it depends on the brand.

they're not the most aesthetic-friendly thingamajigs. but, i've got bigger issues to be concerned with, such as pedaling....

CunegoFan
05-30-2014, 02:46 PM
What is the trick for breezers when using quick releases with D-rings?

teleguy57
05-30-2014, 03:53 PM
What is the trick for breezers when using quick releases with D-rings?

Not sure of the question. Two of my Campag QR sets are silver Record, which have the D-rings. No issues at all.... as a matter of fact, they're easier to use than the silver Chorus set without the rings as it's easier to spin them to the right preset without getting my fingers caught in the dropout hoods.

CunegoFan
05-30-2014, 07:36 PM
Not sure of the question. Two of my Campag QR sets are silver Record, which have the D-rings. No issues at all.... as a matter of fact, they're easier to use than the silver Chorus set without the rings as it's easier to spin them to the right preset without getting my fingers caught in the dropout hoods.

The D-rings on my Record QR's can get hung up on the drive side hood of the drop out. It depends on the orientation of the D-ring. It is sort of annoying.

Bob Ross
05-30-2014, 07:46 PM
Thread drift: What's the point (sic) of breezer dropouts anyway?
I think they look cool as hell, but I too have some skewer issues with the breezer dropouts on my bike. Is there some structural benefit to that "hood"?

DRietz
05-30-2014, 07:49 PM
Thread drift: What's the point (sic) of breezer dropouts anyway?
I think they look cool as hell, but I too have some skewer issues with the breezer dropouts on my bike. Is there some structural benefit to that "hood"?

It's just a larger surface area to weld to.

sjbraun
05-30-2014, 07:59 PM

fogrider
05-30-2014, 08:07 PM
The other way was to cut the tubing or flatten the tubing, some thought it weakened it and not as finished.

teleguy57
05-30-2014, 08:17 PM
The D-rings on my Record QR's can get hung up on the drive side hood of the drop out. It depends on the orientation of the D-ring. It is sort of annoying.

Hmmm. I wonder if the radius of your hood is narrower than my Hampsten's, as mine don't hang up there.

I'll have to take a photo....

pbarry
05-30-2014, 08:48 PM
Iirc, breezer dropouts are a modern iteration of Wright bros dropouts from nearly a century ago. If JB secured a new patent, he should have done well.

Have any bikes been raced in the Euro pro tour with them? Have no idea, but they would be a distinct disadvantage during a wheel change.

CunegoFan
05-30-2014, 09:06 PM
Hmmm. I wonder if the radius of your hood is narrower than my Hampsten's, as mine don't hang up there.

I'll have to take a photo....

This is on my Moots. It's not so much the radius of the hood. It is the gap between the derailleur and the chainstay end of the hood. The gap is narrow enough that the D-ring will not fit through if it is oriented wrong. I suppose an even larger radius would increase the gap size...

I suppose I should grow a third hand or use QRs without D-rings.

pbarry
05-30-2014, 09:18 PM
81 years since Tullio's patent on the sliding hub gear changer, and you all are trying to figure out how to place your QR levers correctly on an ever earlier design.. :eek:

vqdriver
05-30-2014, 11:34 PM
My answer to the op is shimano levers. They exit out the left side of the "head" of the qr, not the center, so it clears just fine.

oldpotatoe
05-31-2014, 07:47 AM
81 years since Tullio's patent on the sliding hub gear changer, and you all are trying to figure out how to place your QR levers correctly on an ever earlier design.. :eek:

Tee hee, sounds like a subject for February.