PDA

View Full Version : The New Merlin Extralight....your thoughts

firerescuefin
05-30-2014, 08:51 AM
http://www.competitivecyclist.com/merlin-extralight

Have had 2 Merlins in the past. The extralight was the first bike I truly lusted after and the Magia (XL Compact) was the best bike I have owned. So there is an emotional component associated with name/brand for me...even if the company isn't the same.

I've been give a thumbs up by the family CEO to build something new, and I am kicking this bike around (among others).

Your reaction when you look at this bike (Objective/Subjective)

texbike
05-30-2014, 08:59 AM
I like it, but a Moots, Spectrum, Strong, etc isn't that much more expensive. Given Brendan's departure from Competitive Cyclist and his apparent surrender of the Merlin IP/branding, I'm not sure where the current Merlins sit in the market. They kinda seem like a bike without a country...

Just my $.02.

Texbike

eddief
05-30-2014, 09:00 AM
"However, unlike carbon fiber, which strategically redirects shock energy throughout the frame, 3-2.5's elastic modulus creates a natural dampening of vibration and shock. The Extralight benefits from less abrasive handling without diminishing any of its natural stiffness."

This is probably a great bike. Just not yet fond of BB30 and giga headtubes. Otherwise, it's a lot o money.

AngryScientist
05-30-2014, 09:01 AM
My Merlin is also one of the, if not the best riding bikes i've ever owned. my take is this: Tom Kellogg was the man behind my magically awesome merlin, if i had big dollars to spend on a new Ti bike right now, I would go directly to him/Spectrum cycles. the new Merlin is $3500 - for very close to that money you get, IMO the best designer of titanium bikes to design and build you a bike, rather than an off the rack bike with a nostalgic brand name, but relatively unknown current production value.

avalonracing
05-30-2014, 09:03 AM
I have a Merlin Works CR. I've said a number of times that it is the best riding/racing bike I've owned. Before the last incarnation of Merlin Folded they stopped using the "Works" moniker and just called this version bike the Extralight.

I'm always on the lookout for a Works TR or a later model Extralight because it is just like mine but has a level TT instead of a sloping one (I just like a level TT aesthetically).

If I were you I'd contact Tom Kellogg and have him make you a Spectrum with the specs of the Merlin Works or Last ABG Extralight. When I last checked he designs it and Seven does the building. That is a hell of a combo.

avalonracing
05-30-2014, 09:04 AM
As happy owners of Merlins it looks like Angry Scientist and I had roughly same advice for you at the same time.

firerescuefin
05-30-2014, 09:05 AM
Thoughts on TK are very valid...and Rob's folks know how to craft and finish a product.

Good points.

jamesutiopia
05-30-2014, 09:09 AM
To my eye (probably just the way they've photographed it), the Enve fork looks enormous and out of proportion. PF30 makes me sad (http://www.bicycleretailer.com/product-tech/2013/04/26/mag-bottom-bracket-designs-evolve-quiet-creak#.U4iP4BZZ_0c), though perhaps the (purportedly excellent) craftsmanship will be enough to make it work well.

The Paragon rear dropout suggests to me that Seven is not making these.

I used to ride an Extralight, and other than the derailleur rub it was an excellent ride. One the the bikes I regret passing on...

FlashUNC
05-30-2014, 09:13 AM
The PF30 BB would be a deal breaker for me. YMMV.

akelman
05-30-2014, 09:14 AM
Tom Kellogg was the man behind my magically awesome merlin, if i had big dollars to spend on a new Ti bike right now, I would go directly to him/Spectrum cycles. the new Merlin is $3500 - for very close to that money you get, IMO the best designer of titanium bikes to design and build you a bike, rather than an off the rack bike with a nostalgic brand name, but relatively unknown current production value.

Sage advice.

enr1co
05-30-2014, 09:57 AM
My Merlin is also one of the, if not the best riding bikes i've ever owned. my take is this: Tom Kellogg was the man behind my magically awesome merlin, if i had big dollars to spend on a new Ti bike right now, I would go directly to him/Spectrum cycles. the new Merlin is $3500 - for very close to that money you get, IMO the best designer of titanium bikes to design and build you a bike, rather than an off the rack bike with a nostalgic brand name, but relatively unknown current production value.

I like it, but a Moots, Spectrum, Strong, etc isn't that much more expensive. Given Brendan's departure from Competitive Cyclist and his apparent surrender of the Merlin IP/branding, I'm not sure where the current Merlins sit in the market. They kinda seem like a bike without a country...

Just my $.02..

I would concur with Angry and tex's posts and toss another $.02 towards this pot.

The following web info provides some introductory merit and sizzle to the new Merlins but with the all the well established Ti brands/builders already in this space, I would (and have) consider going one of the them.

http://www.bikeradar.com/us/news/article/merlin-looks-to-conjure-up-the-old-magic-36563/

http://www.formcycles.com/FORM_cycles/HOME.html

soulspinner
05-30-2014, 10:01 AM
The PF30 BB would be a deal breaker for me. YMMV.

This and a non replaceable d-hanger.

Idris Icabod
05-30-2014, 10:16 AM
I think they are made by Form out of Arizona (the Ti Merlin mountain frames are). For me, I really liked the idea when CC first bought the name, but now Brendan has left CC, the place kind of lost it's soul. I agree with what people have posted above, you'll get great service from CC but the bike is now just a rebrand, I'd rather buy a Form than this.

kramnnim
05-30-2014, 10:28 AM
This and a non replaceable d-hanger.

The one on the Extralight appears to be replaceable...?

The text says no, but the pics say yes.

FastforaSlowGuy
05-30-2014, 10:47 AM
I'll echo everyone else's comments here but add Seven to the consideration mix (Rob V being an ex-Merlin guy who took a bunch of their folks to start Seven). If you called them up and said you wanted a Seven that rode like a Merlin, they'd know what you are talking about.

I believe you'd be looking at the same/similar money for a frame (no fork), but you'd get exactly what you want. For 3 grand, I'd spring for the extra couple bills and make it precisely what you want.

jr59
05-30-2014, 11:14 AM

You will not be sorry you called TK and talked to him. First off, he knows his stuff, but most of all, he is a GREAT guy. That willingly gives of his knowledge. He is also a heck of a rider himself. My praise of him and what he does has no limits.

here is the one he rides;
http://www.bikerumor.com/2014/05/29/ballers-bicycles-spectrums-tom-kelloggs-titanium-road-bike/#more-79309

cmbicycles
05-30-2014, 11:21 AM

^^This^^ I would go for the Spectrum Super over a new Merlin if I had the money. I don't care for the PF30 BB or the oversized head tube, though you could get that on a spectrum super if that suits your ideal bike, plus get it custom designed for you for not much more. The Spectrum ti bikes are designed by Tom, and welded at Seven using TK's welding process. It is basically as close to an original Merlin as you can get combining TK and Rob Vandermark. The new Merlin bikes are designed by ??? and welded by ???, they have the merlin name on them, but not the right name on the ND chainstay.

metalheart
05-30-2014, 06:34 PM
At 3500 for the CC Merlin, I think I would consider a custom build. TK is certainly among the masters as are a few others often mentioned here. I'll plug my favorite builder, Bill Holland in San Diego. His all Ti frames are 3300. IMHO, Bills frames compete with anyone.

http://fairwheelbikes.com/c/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/holland-titanium-960x638.jpg

jtakeda
05-30-2014, 06:40 PM
My Merlin is the best bike I've ever ridden.

The only time I ever considered selling it was to snag a Moots.

I've ridden Moots, honestly I thought the bikes were very similar, the appeal of the moots to me was 1 1/8" headtube for easier fork swap and stem options.

That being said, you're looking for a new ti bike?

Go to Tom Kellogg or get a Moots. If the Merlin was $1600-1800 I'd think a little more.

Peter P.
05-30-2014, 07:25 PM
The New Merlin Extralight doesn't have the longevity in the market to guarantee the builder will be around for warranty service, if needed. This would be the deal breaker for me. You would likely have to go through Competitive Cyclist for any service, adding possible difficulties because of the extra link in the supply chain.

While there are numerous differences between the old and new Extralight, if the presence of the old logo brings back the memories you enjoyed, then the new frame would likely evoke the same feelings. I'm sure it would ride fine.

However for the $3400 of the new Extralight, you could have a custom Carl Strong titanium frame ($3000). Heck; you might even be able to have Carl reproduce the Extralight geometry if you desire. Although likely not double butted, the Strong would be custom and you'd still have money left over for a fork. I'm sure there are other titanium builders out there with comparable custom offerings at competitve pricing.

pbarry
05-30-2014, 08:11 PM
Find a way to make a trip to TK's shop, you won't regret it. You are built like a trackie ;), and Tom has worked with more world class track riders than anyone in the States. Go for a ride with him, and he'll design a bike that will rock your world. If you've got the coin, custom with a real time builder fit is the only way to go. Buying a new "Merlin" is just buying the sticker set..

bluesea
06-08-2014, 03:20 PM
In the flesh so to speak.

From what I can find (and guess) this frame was prolly designed under Brendan's watch, which is good. Whether it fulfills it's bold price remains to be seen.

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8357/8445280837_f89d0cc1c4_z.jpg (https://www.flickr.com/photos/37220746@N06/8445280837/)
Extralight headtube, yummy (https://www.flickr.com/photos/37220746@N06/8445280837/) by Competitive Cyclist Photos (https://www.flickr.com/people/37220746@N06/), on Flickr

RedRider
06-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Kellogg, Seven, Holland are all great frame builders and I'll add Kelly Bedford to the list... At about $3500 he can build a custom Ti frame with the BB, HT and dropouts of your choice.

charliedid
06-08-2014, 05:29 PM
I'm sure the new Merlins ride just fine...

Something else to consider.

http://www.alchemybicycles.com/bikes/aiolos-titanium-road-bike

Steve in SLO
06-08-2014, 06:09 PM
As others have said, at that pricepoint your options are wide open.
As a data point, I bought my DeSalvo custom Ti frame powdercoated with 44mm HT, trad. threaded BB and ENVE tapered fork for slightly less than that.

1centaur
06-08-2014, 06:27 PM
Reading the unanimity of this thread, one wonders if the pricing boffins at CC should cut $500 off the price, permanently.

tiretrax
06-08-2014, 06:35 PM
At that price, I'd look elsewhere if buying new. Seven, Spectrum, Moots, or a small custom shop.

Johnny P
06-08-2014, 09:01 PM
Kellogg, Seven, Holland are all great frame builders and I'll add Kelly Bedford to the list... At about $3500 he can build a custom Ti frame with the BB, HT and dropouts of your choice.

I would also consider Kelly Bedford for a custom Ti bike.

Asudef
06-08-2014, 10:25 PM
How does Hampsten or Firefly compare to the prominent builders mentioned here?

happycampyer
06-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Reading the unanimity of this thread, one wonders if the pricing boffins at CC should cut $500 off the price, permanently.

I think the anonymity of the fabricator hurts their marketability. Titanium has become a niche market, and buyers tend to be savvy enough to want to know who built the frame—is it Form, Mosaic, ABG, Habanero? They say that they're made in the US, which is fine, but not knowing by whom depresses their value imo. It's fine to have a builder employ Merlin-specific details to distinguish Merlins from the builder's standard line (the curved machining of the headtube is an example). TK does this with Seven—Spectrums are different from Sevens, even though Seven fabricates them.

How does Hampsten or Firefly compare to the prominent builders mentioned here?Hampsten and Firefly are both exceptional builders. Steve's ti welder/fabricator, Max Kulloway, is a former Seven welder, and Steve has a real no-nonsense approach to geometry and design, and has a heathy skepticism of whizbangery. Firefly is currently turning out some of the nicest ti frames on the market, but I think their pricepoint is higher than the Merlin.

93legendti
06-09-2014, 07:48 AM
I'd add Carl Strong to the ti bike list...

Ahneida Ride
06-09-2014, 05:51 PM
How does Hampsten or Firefly compare to the prominent builders mentioned here?

right up there ..... These are all premium builders with only Peers.

also consider Steve Potts.

malcolm
06-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Jim Kish will do straight gauge for $2800 and butted for 3200.

http://www.kishbike.com/bikes/road/

54ny77
06-09-2014, 07:20 PM
not for me, but i hope they sell a ton of 'em since it's u.s. builders using u.s. materials. keep the bucks onshore.

donevwil
06-09-2014, 07:26 PM
Jim Kish will do straight gauge for $2800 and butted for 3200.

http://www.kishbike.com/bikes/road/

... plus the price of a fork. $450 for the same Enve 2.0 as the Merlin. Still a good price for custom Ti, however.

tuscanyswe
06-09-2014, 07:32 PM
Merlin comes with a ck inset as well i believe so thats another 160 or so worth. May not be a deal breaker for most but makes for a more fair comparison at least.

I think it looks really nice tho id most likely spend my cash elsewhere if i were in the market for new ti.

bluesea
06-09-2014, 07:49 PM
Merlin comes with a ck inset as well i believe so thats another 160 or so worth. May not be a deal breaker for most but makes for a more fair comparison at least.

I think it looks really nice tho id most likely spend my cash elsewhere if i were in the market for new ti.

Think it comes with a fork too, but yea, better to look for this one on the used frame market.

pbarry
06-09-2014, 08:00 PM
I think the anonymity of the fabricator hurts their marketability. Titanium has become a niche market, and buyers tend to be savvy enough to want to know who built the frame—is it Form, Mosaic, ABG, Habanero? They say that they're made in the US, which is fine, but not knowing by whom depresses their value imo. It's fine to have a builder employ Merlin-specific details to distinguish Merlins from the builder's standard line (the curved machining of the headtube is an example). TK does this with Seven—Spectrums are different from Sevens, even though Seven fabricates them.

Hampsten and Firefly are both exceptional builders. Steve's ti welder/fabricator, Max Kulloway, is a former Seven welder, and Steve has a real no-nonsense approach to geometry and design, and has a heathy skepticism of whizbangery. Firefly is currently turning out some of the nicest ti frames on the market, but I think their pricepoint is higher than the Merlin.

Presuming you were just throwing names out there? Afaik, Mosaic is not doing private label work: It's a small shop. Please enlighten me if anything has changed.

happycampyer
06-09-2014, 08:47 PM
Presuming you were just throwing names out there? Afaik, Mosaic is not doing private label work: It's a small shop. Please enlighten me if anything has changed.Yeah, just throwing out names. The other company that was set up for ti production was Saratoga, but not any more...

buddybikes
06-09-2014, 09:01 PM
For some builders you had better be prepared for a wait, so do you want it this season?

earlfoss
07-21-2014, 10:26 PM
I wonder how many of these CC has moved so far at that price. I'm very curious to see where things go with this frame set. I think it's a pretty great looking rig which is more than suitable for racing. The BB30 thing does suck though and is for sure a deal breaker now that I'm in the market and looking at the myriad of choices there are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

christian
07-22-2014, 06:00 AM
Fewer than a dozen, I'd guess.