PDA

View Full Version : OT: Your experience with Paleo Diet

firerescuefin
05-30-2014, 08:07 AM
Not trying to drop weight per se. Wanting better health and more energy and willing to make long term changes.

Would like to hear from folks that have given it an honest shot.

TIA

Geoff

pbarry
05-30-2014, 08:12 AM
Geoff, no personal experience, but a former client, who's a chef, swears by it:
http://www.elanaspantry.com/paleo-diet-recipes/

Kirk Pacenti
05-30-2014, 08:26 AM
A couple good resources:

http://nusi.org/

http://eatingacademy.com/

Cheers,
KP

vav
05-30-2014, 08:29 AM
Wanting better health and more energy and willing to make long term changes.

I am/was a sugar/wheat/pasta junkie. Decided to drop all sugar/grains/pasta from my diet. Most of my sugar intake now comes from natural fruit.

No more bread/crackers/pasta/nada. Overall feel a lot better. This spring my usual allergies have been way less than previous years (coincidence? don't know)

And I have dropped like 15 pounds ;)

I have never, ever been on a diet ( I eat way too much ) just now I eat tons of fruits/salad/veggies/beans/ and nuts. I always ate all these but I ate all the bad stuff too.

Kirk Pacenti
05-30-2014, 08:32 AM
I am/was a sugar/wheat/pasta junkie. Decided to drop all sugar/grains/pasta from my diet. Most of my sugar intake now comes from natural fruit.

No more bread/crackers/pasta/nada. Overall feel a lot better. This spring my usual allergies have been way less than previous years (coincidence? don't know)

And I have dropped like 15 pounds ;)

I have never, ever been on a diet ( I eat way too much ) just now I eat tons of fruits/salad/veggies/beans/ and nuts. I always ate all these but I ate all the bad stuff too.

This has been my experience as well.

8aaron8
05-30-2014, 08:33 AM
I think my main problem with the paleo diet is the quantity of meat you need to eat. Since there is a lack of grains, which provides needed vitamin b12 for energy and helps keep you feeling full, you need to eat excessive quantities of eat to satiate your body. Of course, if you had to spend your days walking for miles and running down your dinner with a spear, then I would have no problem with the indulgence, however, for the most part we utilize far less calories than our predecessors. This coupled with the fact that the digestion of meat puts your body in an acidic state, which promotes bacteria growth, and the overconsumption of protein being shown to increase caner growing cells just keeps me weary. A while back I went Vegan for two years, and at first thought it was a great change. However, I found myself getting sick far more often than I used to, and I probably wasn't getting everything my body needed in terms of nutrition. So, I started eating meat once or twice a week and I felt great. I had a lot ore energy and have staved off sickness quite well, especially for being a primary special education teacher. I think moderation is definitely key to diet. That coupled with reducing the amount of sugar and processed foods you eat. In addition, I think it's important to really be aware of how foods make you feel, keep a food log and see if you can find any days where common meals have made you feel different. This will do a lot in terms of directing you away from foods that make you feel unwell.

MattTuck
05-30-2014, 08:34 AM
Geoff,

I'll give you my limited experience. I did Paleo for about a month... and I did it when I had limited access to a kitchen of my own. There were two big take-aways for me.

1. If you're eating out a lot, it is pretty straightforward to get paleo compliant meals.
2. My bowel function/regularity improved.

At the end of the day, I stopped doing it because I liked certain foods way too much, and I'm not entirely convinced of the science behind it. It sounds logical when you first hear it, but then you realize that human society took off when people started growing grains... so there is a reason we're not all hunter/gatherers, and we certainly did not develop all these health issues back in mesopotamia when they first started growing wheat.

On top of that, I began seeing people cooking cakes and brownies with Almond flour. And I was thinking to myself... is this what the cavemen did? Collected their almonds and ground them into a flour so they could consume huge amounts of them? (Remember, we only have almonds in this abundance thanks to almond farms. it's not like there are people wandering the country side looking for wild almonds). That's just an example of the hypocrisy I see in the idea. I figure back in the day, almonds were a scarce resource (calorie dense) and I doubt people had enough to be baking cakes.

As an ideal diet, I am an advocate of eating whole foods. The less processing, the better. Most of the health problems today are associated with SUGAR, so if you're going to eliminate something, I'd shoot for that.

Best of luck.

JasonF
05-30-2014, 08:37 AM
I've been gluten-free for some months now, my wife for 2 years and our autistic son for 13 of his 15 years. I'm 90% compliant, my wife is 99% compliant and our son is 100% compliant since ingesting gluten does terrible things to his digestive tract and behavior.

Although not explicitly Paleo, going GF by default takes you in that direction (especially if you avoid rice/potatoes often).

I surprisingly didn't have any of the much-touted withdrawal symptoms and noticed a GREATLY increased cognitive focus about a week or so after cutting out gluten. On a whim, I had a beer + pizza not long ago (probably the worst gluten combo you could find) and noticed a mental fog/hangover well into the next day. This could be totally psycho-somatic but whatever since I feel pretty good.

Cutting out gluten has been surprisingly easy, especially since most of our family is on board. I haven't noticed much weight reduction but that wasn't necessarily the goal.

I would recommend the Paleo Solution and Wheat Belly as two great books to get started. The first book is an easy read and very light-hearted. The second, while still an easy read, is a little denser and since it was written by a cardiologist, has a fair amount of "science" built in.

JasonF
05-30-2014, 08:41 AM
On top of that, I began seeing people cooking cakes and brownies with Almond flour. And I was thinking to myself... is this what the cavemen did? Collected their almonds and ground them into a flour so they could consume huge amounts of them? (Remember, we only have almonds in this abundance thanks to almond farms. it's not like there are people wandering the country side looking for wild almonds). That's just an example of the hypocrisy I see in the idea. I figure back in the day, almonds were a scarce resource (calorie dense) and I doubt people had enough to be baking cakes.

As an ideal diet, I am an advocate of eating whole foods. The less processing, the better. Most of the health problems today are associated with SUGAR, so if you're going to eliminate something, I'd shoot for that.

Best of luck.

Amen to this. Almond flour, tapioca flour, sugar, etc...could easily negate any benefits you'll see. One of the principles behind Wheat Belly was that modern farming/hybridization has hurt our overall health for the sake of greater crop yields. I have zero scientific background and have no basis to either believe or reject this statement but I still avoid gluten since I feel good doing so.

AngryScientist
05-30-2014, 08:42 AM
As an ideal diet, I am an advocate of eating whole foods. The less processing, the better.

yes, i'm on board with this part. it's a struggle for me, but i've completely eliminated soda and fast food from my diet, and feel better for that.

FlashUNC
05-30-2014, 09:10 AM
Just to be the contrarian:
http://www.salon.com/2013/06/09/paleo_diet_is_founded_more_on_privilege_than_logic _partner/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

I'm on board with the idea of eating as much natural, whole food as possible and avoiding the processed stuff as much as is practical, but paleo cuts off too many viable avenues for nutrition that I also happen to enjoy eating.

Strikes me as just another fad diet really.

ThaRiddla
05-30-2014, 09:23 AM
My wife was diagnosed with a thyroid disorder early this year. In addition to medication, she started paleo diet. As a good husband, I decided to do it with her to support her and also make meal prep a lot easier.

SIDEBAR
I've never had a weight problem, never really paid attention to the health of the food I eat, despite my wife's persistent "recommendations" and was pretty scared of it due to the amount of riding/racing I do. I have a pretty high metabolism. I love(d) chips, pasta, pizza, cookies, lots of junk food, all that stuff.

I've been paleo since about February and I rarely miss any foods that I shouldn't eat. I do make exceptions for beer and whiskey in moderation, but I'm not a heavy drinker at all. We go through periods of ebb and flow of the foods we allow - sometimes no dairy, some limited, rice at times, but stick pretty much to standard paleo rules - no grains, legumes, soy, limited dairy.

I've lost roughly 15 lbs and feel wonderful. I didn't really NEED to lose any weight, but I dropped much of the nagging fat that I've been carrying around and am in pretty good race condition.

Here's the biggest changes I've noticed:
1. I never get "hangry" anymore. I used to get these waves of hunger, gorge myself cause I'm hungry, and then bottom out because I was filled up on carbs. I don't get it anymore. I can go for 7-8 hours and not even notice I'm hungry.
2. It's made cooking/food interesting again. There are TONS of resources out there for recipes and fun ways to make the foods you THINK you want, only so much healthier without sacrificing flavor. It's the first time my wife is excited to cook or bake. I'm the main cook in the house, but she's excited to try things and experiment with cooking and baking.
3. Once you learn what to eat/what not to eat, it's not really any different than any other way of living. I'm not eating gobs of protein to stay alive, I just eat a sensible meal with meat and veggies. There's tons of variety and it's not as caveman as some folks portray it.
4."Treats" are treats again. Every now and then I have some ice cream, cake, cookies, whatever. Now I eat them in major moderation. Where I used to get a plate of them, now 1-2 suit me just fine.

follow http://www.nomnompaleo.com it's got tons of great ideas.

4Rings6Stars
05-30-2014, 09:23 AM
Just to be the contrarian:
http://www.salon.com/2013/06/09/paleo_diet_is_founded_more_on_privilege_than_logic _partner/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMOjVYgYaG8

I'm on board with the idea of eating as much natural, whole food as possible and avoiding the processed stuff as much as is practical, but paleo cuts off too many viable avenues for nutrition that I also happen to enjoy eating.

Plus 1 billion.

Cut out as much processed food as you can, don't eat tons of carbs or fatty meat everyday and ride your bike. You'll be fine. I don't trust any of the extreme diets.

ceolwulf
05-30-2014, 09:30 AM
Cleared up my gut issues overnight. Over the next three months lost about 25 lb without really trying. I'm sold.

I do find it difficult to stay with it though, seems like almost everything in the supermarket has wheat/corn/legumes in it. And thinking of Italian food that I loved makes me shed a tiny tear ...

Edit to add: I don't really eat that much red meat, maybe a little more than a "standard" diet but not much. Just because the fantasy is of cavemen sitting around a fire eating an entire mammoth at a sitting doesn't obligate you to attempt the same.

ThaRiddla
05-30-2014, 09:59 AM
Plus 1 billion.

Cut out as much processed foods as you can, don't eat tons of carbs or fatty meat everyday and ride your bike. You'll be fine. I don't trust any of the extreme diets. My buddy that is paleo eats an absurd amount of red meat...I don't see that ending well.

Like anything, there are folks that do it well, and folks that take it to an extreme and give it a bad name.

blessthismess
05-30-2014, 10:28 AM
I am definitely in the " eat simple unprocessed foods " camp. I am not super educated on the Paleo diet but am weary of anything that involves completely cutting out large food groups. It just seems unhealthy in the long run and un realistic. Everyone is different though, and has different body chemistry, allergies and metabolisms so what works for one person may not for the next, and vice versa. It is all about finding what works for you, and maybe in some cases that is a "paleo" diet, but I doubt it. If you really are interested in making some serious diet changes I would go and visit a nutritionist. They should be able to give you a more concrete plan/diet that is catered to you and your bodies needs

CunegoFan
05-30-2014, 01:36 PM
I suggest substituting unprocessed grubs, worms, and insects for farmed chicken and beef to make your paleo experience more authentic. You'll lose a lot of weight.

ceolwulf
05-30-2014, 01:51 PM
I suggest substituting unprocessed grubs, worms, and insects for farmed chicken and beef to make your paleo experience more authentic. You'll lose a lot of weight.

You can't deny. This looks delicious.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/31/gupareby.jpg

fiamme red
05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
I suggest substituting unprocessed grubs, worms, and insects for farmed chicken and beef to make your paleo experience more authentic. You'll lose a lot of weight.Well, they now make energy bars from crickets: http://chapul.com/

A proper paleo shake:

http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g7/ceejster/shake1.jpg

CunegoFan
05-30-2014, 02:20 PM
You can't deny. This looks delicious.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/31/gupareby.jpg

Now you are getting the idea, but that looks way too processed for a respectable caveman. When it comes to new age diets founded on pseudo science about ancient peoples who were lucky to live to thirty, it is important to get the full experience. Juicy beef and chicken is a product of giant agribusiness. That sort of food is not for you. Instead the simpler fare of insects and other creepy crawlers are where it is at. As a side benefit, this stuff is cheap and you often do not have to travel much to get a meal. A fly in your house is no longer an annoyance. It's food, fresher and less processed than anything bought in a store. This sort of thing can be a real time saver, which is important in this day and age when everyone is struggling to get ahead. Be creative. While your coworkers waste time and effort visiting the vending machine, fostering a good case of lice will allow you to snack in true Neanderthal style without leaving your office. The time saved and weight lost will be considerable.

dogdriver
05-31-2014, 07:12 AM

Agreed. Good dietary advice I've received over the years:

"Only buy things from the outside aisles of the grocery store."

"Never eat anything with a barcode."

Regarding the Paleo diet, you could probably eat anything you wanted and be fine if you were virtually guaranteed to be dead by the time you were 30 y.o.

Seriously, too much emphasis on meat for my taste (Balance and harmony, said the master, in all things...), and I'm not nuts about the connection to Crossfit, which hurts people (fact) and is a little cultish (opinion).

Kirk Pacenti
05-31-2014, 07:54 AM
It occurred to me that I have never actually read anything specific to Paleo diets. All the stuff I have read is about keto-adaptation, which is designed specifically to control insulin response. It may not be the same thing as Paleo...

The aspect of the keto idea that resonates with me is how the rise in diabetes and obesity over the last 30-40 years closely mirrors the mainstream acceptance of low-fat, high carbohydrate diets.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Art-Science-Carbohydrate-Performance/dp/0983490716

Climb01742
05-31-2014, 08:34 AM
One aspect of some of these diets that I don't understand is ruling out rice. Natural, unprocessed carbs like brown rice and baked potatoes are very different from processed carbs like bread. Many cultures base their cuisines on rice and those cultures don't suffer from many of the diseases we do. Not all carbs are the same and ruling out rice,particularly brown rice, seems like a brush too broad.

malcolm
05-31-2014, 08:58 AM
Didn't read the whole thread but skimmed it. Here is the diet truth for most people, If it has a name don't follow it. They take good ideas to the extreme or become popular then try and cash in by producing processed foods to sell you that defeat the purpose of the whole thing anyway.

Don't eat processed foods, period that includes overly refined grains. No bread in the supermarket is good for you, no matter if it says whole wheat. It's too processed and the calories are absorbed too quickly and you absorb every one of them. After having said that eating gluten free if you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity is unnecessary, but if you avoid over processed grains you'll essentially be gluten free except when you eat grains in their whole form which is ok if you're not sensitive.

Eat a varied diet, mostly plants. If it comes in a box or bag don't eat it.

If you want to do extreme do the Jack Lalanne diet it's easy. 1) If it tastes good spit it out. 2) If man made it, don't eat it.

The other choice is easier and tastier.

cmbicycles
05-31-2014, 09:21 AM

I remember reading some time ago that the world health organization recommended eating more insects as a good sustainable source of protein.

It would increase hand eye coordination and keep your home bug free naturally. ;)

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

oldpotatoe
05-31-2014, 10:12 AM
I remember reading some time ago that the world health organization recommended eating more insects as a good sustainable source of protein.

It would increase hand eye coordination and keep your home bug free naturally. ;)

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

Just ask my cats.

stephenmarklay
05-31-2014, 10:17 AM
Didn't read the whole thread but skimmed it. Here is the diet truth for most people, If it has a name don't follow it. They take good ideas to the extreme or become popular then try and cash in by producing processed foods to sell you that defeat the purpose of the whole thing anyway.

Don't eat processed foods, period that includes overly refined grains. No bread in the supermarket is good for you, no matter if it says whole wheat. It's too processed and the calories are absorbed too quickly and you absorb every one of them. After having said that eating gluten free if you don't have a gluten allergy or sensitivity is unnecessary, but if you avoid over processed grains you'll essentially be gluten free except when you eat grains in their whole form which is ok if you're not sensitive.

Eat a varied diet, mostly plants. If it comes in a box or bag don't eat it.

If you want to do extreme do the Jack Lalanne diet it's easy. 1) If it tastes good spit it out. 2) If man made it, don't eat it.

The other choice is easier and tastier.

I am in this camp as well. I kind of went down the Paleo path some years ago and I do think it brought some attention to how crazy our manufactured food has become. I would rather eat raw meat (I did) than a toaster strudel.

Now days I eat a lot of veggies, some fruits, raw milk, some meat and nuts. Too many nuts actually. I don't get concerned about the whole omega 6 trend either.
Studies show that eating nuts is healthy and those who eat them every day have the least all cause mortality. Not saying eat nuts just saying.

One issue that is pervasive is for a study to be meaningful it has to be narrow. But then it can't possibly encompass the reality of complex food well.

Tony T
05-31-2014, 10:27 AM
The Straight Dope:
Will a Paleolithic diet do me any good? (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3161/will-a-paleolithic-diet-do-me-any-good)

Never mind what cave folk actually ate. What I want to know is, will the diet we call paleo do me any good?

There’s little evidence so far. As is common with diet fads, experiments to date have been small-scale and inconclusive. Some of them suggest eating paleo makes it easier to lose weight, but that’s a side issue. The core question is: If you’re healthy and fit on the pyramid diet, will going paleo make you healthier and fitter?

I’m not seeing it. Looking at the big picture, we don’t lead anything like a Paleolithic hunter-gatherer lifestyle. One analysis estimates prehistoric humans estimates burned three to five times as much energy per day as we do. Never mind diet — paleo-style caloric intake with zero hunting and gathering means in no time you’re pulling a woolly mammoth’s weight.

oldpotatoe
05-31-2014, 10:28 AM
"If it comes in a box or bag don't eat it."

Can or bottle?

All things in moderation. Having a beer and greasy burger infrequently won't kill you.

'Don't', 'never', 'always'..... No absolutes please.

YMMV and IMHO

malcolm
05-31-2014, 11:28 AM
"If it comes in a box or bag don't eat it."

Can or bottle?

All things in moderation. Having a beer and greasy burger infrequently won't kill you.

'Don't', 'never', 'always'..... No absolutes please.

YMMV and IMHO

Very true, especially beer, I prefer tap but can or bottle will do just fine.

If any of you interested in this haven't read Michael Pollan's books especially the omnivore's dilemma and in defense of food you should.

malcolm
05-31-2014, 11:33 AM
The Straight Dope:
Will a Paleolithic diet do me any good? (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/3161/will-a-paleolithic-diet-do-me-any-good)

Never mind what cave folk actually ate. What I want to know is, will the diet we call paleo do me any good?

There’s little evidence so far. As is common with diet fads, experiments to date have been small-scale and inconclusive. Some of them suggest eating paleo makes it easier to lose weight, but that’s a side issue. The core question is: If you’re healthy and fit on the pyramid diet, will going paleo make you healthier and fitter?

I’m not seeing it. Looking at the big picture, we don’t lead anything like a Paleolithic hunter-gatherer lifestyle. One analysis estimates prehistoric humans estimates burned three to five times as much energy per day as we do. Never mind diet — paleo-style caloric intake with zero hunting and gathering means in no time you’re pulling a woolly mammoth’s weight.

One of the problems with studying the effects of diet or supplement use is you are looking for small effects over the course of a lifetime. That is very hard to study and control for.

I suspect anyone eating a moderate diet that is not overweight will probably do fine and like OP said the occasional cheeseburger won't hurt you but again watch your weight and percent body fat and eat accordingly.

firerescuefin
07-16-2014, 05:56 PM
I've been intrigued by some of the ideas of Paleo, but thought the extremity of it was not based in well researched reality. I've read 3 books and been going through numerous blogs and came across this book last week. The author (Chris Kresser) is highly thought of/educated on the subject and his views have evolved over time.

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=your+personal+paleo+code&tag=googhydr-20&index=aps&hvadid=20922562761&hvpos=1t1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11769891137767976097&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_1mtavp7g7j_b

Reading the book, it makes the most sense to me as it looks to establish a baseline of foods that are healthy/non inflammatory/ nourishing to the body, then selectively introducing many foods than many hardcore Paleo zealots would cringe at because they are beneficial and should be included in many diets. As I said, best book on the subject I have found.

Thought some would find it interesting

lookout2015
07-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Two columns which may be of interest re the science (or not) behind the Paleo craze:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/23/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/08/02/how-to-eat-like-a-chimpanzee/

But then, I like figs :banana:

fiamme red
07-17-2014, 11:20 AM
Two columns which may be of interest re the science (or not) behind the Paleo craze:

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/07/23/human-ancestors-were-nearly-all-vegetarians/

http://blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/2012/08/02/how-to-eat-like-a-chimpanzee/

But then, I like figs :banana:We're descended from apes, apes love bananas, therefore bananas must be good for us. :banana:

ptourkin
07-17-2014, 03:46 PM
We're descended from apes, apes love bananas, therefore bananas must be good for us. :banana:

http://boingboing.net/2010/10/30/god-hates-figs.html

Eat clean, reduce processed food and junk but the low carb trend may not be the best for endurance sports, Friel aside. I think we already discussed a recent study showing the carb consumption of elite African endurance athetes - it was higher than most Americans but also whole and unprocessed.

Personally, I'm plant-based but I also believe there is much in common between a whole food vegan diet and the paleo craze - if you ignore the meat, both are eliminating processed food and bad fats, which is why people tend to see results with either. As a long term proposition, I think the plant-based whole food diet is a safer set-up - the evidence the paleos are constantly citing for the efficacy of eating lots of fat is based on fragments of cherry-picked studies. The long term effects of eating a ton of animal fats in the way that they advocate needs more study.

PQJ
07-17-2014, 04:08 PM
The long term effects of eating a ton of animal fats in the way that they advocate needs more study.

If you believe The China Study, animal-based diets are very, very bad for us. Which is hard for me to reconcile with the fact that I really, really like bloody steak, but I think they're on to something.

ptourkin
07-17-2014, 04:14 PM
If you believe The China Study, animal-based diets are very, very bad for us. Which is hard for me to reconcile with the fact that I really, really like bloody steak, but I think they're on to something.

For the animals too. I'm a believer, others will come around when they're ready.

Kirk Pacenti
07-17-2014, 04:44 PM
Some might argue the results of the China Study were pre-determined, or at least 'colored' by the researchers own beliefs... http://chriskresser.com/rest-in-peace-china-study

and

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

ptourkin
07-17-2014, 05:45 PM
Some might argue the results of the China Study were pre-determined, or at least 'colored' by the researchers own beliefs... http://chriskresser.com/rest-in-peace-china-study

and

http://rawfoodsos.com/2010/07/07/the-china-study-fact-or-fallac/

The China "Study" is a misnomer and not the moniker chosen by T. Colin Campbell. It is actually an analysis of a number of different academic studies. There were a recent preponderance of articles like the ones you cited, not published in any peer-reviewed journals but published under the auspices or influence of the Weston A. Price Foundation and the infamous quack Dr. Mercola. The WAP is almost certainly a front for the meat industry - they don't reveal their funding but they frequently attack soy protein, for instance and cite the frequently sanctioned Mercola, who is certainly a quack.

Campbell didn't have an axe to grind when he started his work and had no particular interest in a vegan diet. He is also a qualified academic researcher unlike many of his critics, including the above-cited Chris Kresser, who is a "licensed acupuncturist and practicioner of integrative medicine."

For a good discussion of his methodology and his answers to these attempts to debunk him, you can listen to Campbell on the Rich Roll podcast: http://www.richroll.com/podcast/rrp-79-t-colin-campbell-china-study-critics-plant-based-nutrition-prevent-reverse-disease/

Kirk Pacenti
07-17-2014, 08:05 PM
The China "Study" is a misnomer and not the moniker chosen by T. Colin Campbell. It is actually an analysis of a number of different academic studies. There were a recent preponderance of articles like the ones you cited, not published in any peer-reviewed journals but published under the auspices or influence of the Weston A. Price Foundation and the infamous quack Dr. Mercola. The WAP is almost certainly a front for the meat industry - they don't reveal their funding but they frequently attack soy protein, for instance and cite the frequently sanctioned Mercola, who is certainly a quack.

Campbell didn't have an axe to grind when he started his work and had no particular interest in a vegan diet. He is also a qualified academic researcher unlike many of his critics, including the above-cited Chris Kresser, who is a "licensed acupuncturist and practicioner of integrative medicine."

For a good discussion of his methodology and his answers to these attempts to debunk him, you can listen to Campbell on the Rich Roll podcast: http://www.richroll.com/podcast/rrp-79-t-colin-campbell-china-study-critics-plant-based-nutrition-prevent-reverse-disease/

And when equally qualified researchers find fault with his methodology and / or findings, are they also dismissed as "quacks"?

By "good" do you mean that the selected examples highlighted in this particular podcast intended to debunk him were foiled?

John H.
07-17-2014, 09:12 PM
You guys talk about giving up all this processed stuff.
How about giving up your beers?
Alcohol is the most empty calorie there is.

ptourkin
07-18-2014, 09:03 AM
And when equally qualified researchers find fault with his methodology and / or findings, are they also dismissed as "quacks"?

By "good" do you mean that the selected examples highlighted in this particular podcast intended to debunk him were foiled?

It's an interesting discussion on the podcast. I'm not aware of any equally qualified researchers who published a peer reviewed study that found fault with his methodology and/or findings.

Mercola is a quack who has been ordered by the FDA to stop making his claims. He also questions the relationship between HIV and AIDS and falls into the anti-vaccine camp. He's an "osteopath" who has no advanced degree in scientific medicine.

The attacks on the China Study come from vested interests in the animal agriculture industry, not from academia.

malcolm
07-18-2014, 09:09 AM
[QUOTE=John H.;1586415]You guys talk about giving up all this processed stuff.
How about giving up your beers?
Alcohol is the most empty calorie there is.[/QUOT

Are you insane !!

All diets with a name are inherently flawed. They always have the one evil food group and require eliminating things that make them difficult for most people to stay on for a lifetime and eating habits need to be lifetime things.

There have been healthy populations over the world that have had widely varying diets some with very narrow staple items and yet they have been remarkably healthy with varying amounts of protein, carbs, fat between populations.

Western diets are bad and we are fat because we get a predominance of our calories from overly processed foods with added high calorie sweeteners. We consume more calories of crappier food, it's as simple as that. I think Michael Pollan had it right, "Eat Food, Mostly Plants" and you'll be fine. Avoid the bags, boxes or refined carbs and added sweeteners.

Tony T
09-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Stories in the WSJ and NYT today:
WSJ: My Problem With the Paleo Diet (http://blogs.wsj.com/experts/2014/09/15/my-problem-with-the-paleo-diet/)
NYT: The Paleo Lifestyle: The Way, Way, Way Back (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/fashion/the-paleo-lifestyle-the-way-way-way-back.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news)

CunegoFan
09-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Stories in the WSJ and NYT today:
WSJ: My Problem With the Paleo Diet (http://blogs.wsj.com/experts/2014/09/15/my-problem-with-the-paleo-diet/)
NYT: The Paleo Lifestyle: The Way, Way, Way Back (http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/fashion/the-paleo-lifestyle-the-way-way-way-back.html?hp&action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=HpSum&module=second-column-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news)

LOL. Kook.

"If she has to check her iPhone, she wears amber goggles to block the blue-spectrum light that she believes interferes with her circadian rhythms."

Hls2k6
09-20-2014, 09:29 PM
I found the China Study to be excellent, although I also believe there's plenty of healthy ways to eat that include lean meats.

The Paleo diet, at least in the way I imagine the average lay-practitioner actually eats, is awfully hard to defend. The emphasis on whole foods, lots of veggies, etc. is good, but little to no brown rice, oatmeal, or whole grains? And lots of bacon? All while limiting fruit to moderate amounts? No thanks.

Great, light, common-sense discussion of it and many other diets here:

http://www.amazon.com/Diet-Cults-Surprising-Fallacy-Nutrition/dp/1605985600/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1411266008&sr=8-1&keywords=diet+cults

rilz
09-21-2014, 10:28 PM
There is no science to back up the paleo diet, so if you're doing it for that reason I wouldn't suggest it. Eating any large quantity of meat is certainly bad for you. That being said, if you feel good and it tastes good then it seems great to me.

Personally I have never felt better since I switched to lacto-ovo vegetarian.