PDA

View Full Version : Bont shoes and cleats....

LJohnny
05-29-2014, 10:01 PM
For those using Bont shoes: what pedal system are you using?

I have the A1 (3-hole version) and found that, at least in the pair I have, the speedplay zero pedals/cleats were not a good match. Shimano SPD-SL pedals/cleats were better, but still the best match I've found are Mavic Race pedals/cleats. It is my understanding that the Keo system is similar to the Mavic. (in fact I've heard you can use the Keo cleats on Mavic Race pedals, albeit, haven't tried myself)

My findings were that some pedal/cleat combinations would "deform" the sole and create "hot zones" thus making the shoe very uncomfortable after a short while on the bike. The worst combination as stated above in my experience were the SP zero. The shimano DA were better, but still for some reason, there were at least one hot spot.

Maybe the speedplay-specific bont sole is the "secure" way to go.

ultraman6970
05-29-2014, 10:33 PM
HI...

I'm using time rxs... in your case there's a reason why bont has speedplay specific shoes you know.

As for the other concerns you have, so far no problems with the sole of the shoe, as stiff as ever so wonder why yours is deforming.

I put them in the oven like 3 times but took me like a month riding like 2 times per week to get them kind'a ok, I was having a hot spot aswell. What I ended up doing is tossing the bont insoles and use cork liner to made my own insoles and add more room (I'm runnin' tad small shoe) everywhere, then Added pieces of cork where needed, now I have no issues so far.

No idea where your hot spot is but i would do is add "shim" pieces made of 1 mm cork or another soft material at the opposite side of the hot spot, there is chance your feet is not distributing the weight too good and where it hurts is because there is too much weight right in the hot spot you know, thats why you shim the other side a little bit to even the things up.

So far no problems with the shoes, great arch support.

LJohnny
05-29-2014, 10:40 PM
No hotspots with the Mavic pedals Ultra. They are pretty comfy now.

I am just basically curious what people are running with their Bont. And, I guess, whether anyone else has had this experience with speedplay pedals.

ultraman6970
05-29-2014, 11:01 PM
Kensington hmm... havent been in that side of md in a while.. have a work in bethesda next week.

ronf100
05-29-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm using Speedplay Zeros with Bont Vaypor+. I am using ESoles. I haver high arches and narrow heels. Liking them a lot

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

jds108
05-29-2014, 11:55 PM
Bont A1 and Keywin. I don't think either the shoe or cleat with this combo has any deformation.

catchourbreath
05-30-2014, 06:39 AM
Bont Vaypor and Speedplays
No issues with that combo.
They're a touch narrow for me so I'm in the process of trying to figure out what to do, I've molded them a few times. Might try different insoles see if that helps.

ultraman6970
05-30-2014, 12:50 PM
Go to home depot and get a sheet of cork, and cut insoles out of it. That might give you more room.

If you are going to heat the shoe put super thick socks (or the front of them) and mold the shoe that way.

pinoymamba
05-30-2014, 01:51 PM
i found no difference when i molded and didn't mold my bonts. i guess it's because my feet are narrow?

i love these shoes!

ultraman6970
05-30-2014, 04:23 PM
One of my friends calls them cycling crocs :D that's what they looks like after all.