PDA

View Full Version : Six Inches Between Life and Death

redir
05-29-2014, 12:45 PM
Every Wednesday night is our local race ride which is a mix of cat 1's all the way to beginner which we call Wednesday Worlds. Been doing it for over ten years. Great ride for fun and fitness and race training. Last night a driver of a small SUV angrily swerved into our group and came about 6 inches from the guy on the front. A friend of mine, a father of a beautiful one year old girl. After he passed us he almost drove off the road. I wish he did. And I wished it would have killed him. And I am serious.

On that note. I've been looking at these cameras: http://www.rideye.com/store/

If some scum bag is going to kill me I want my wife and family and friends and the law to know who it is.

Sick and tired of it! The more of us who get devices like this and use them to prosecute felonious coward criminals like that then the safer our roads will be.

CaliFly
05-29-2014, 12:57 PM
Sick and tired of it! The more of us who get devices like this and use them to prosecute felonious coward criminals like that then the safer our roads will be.

"Prosecute" is the key word here. I don't see any hope of this happening with any regularity in my lifetime...especially when there is no actual collision.

Dired
05-29-2014, 01:23 PM
Sorry about your experience. I've also been looking for a similar device, very interested in what the forum recommends.

54ny77
05-29-2014, 01:29 PM
it's a sad day when considering front & rear mounted cameras as an after-the-fact defense mechanism.

yet, i completely understand.

Mikej
05-29-2014, 01:42 PM
All they have to say was it was an accident / not on purpose and it seems like they walk on the charges.

redir
05-29-2014, 02:00 PM
In Virginia we now have a 3ft law so it may help. Also in this case the guys driving was clearly intentional. It's worth a try anyway. And like I said if it's the last moment of my life on this earth and it's captured and a hit and run criminal is put in jail that makes it worth it.

rwsaunders
05-29-2014, 02:06 PM
They passed a 4ft law in PA, which lately seems to be translated that a driver can't be any further than 4ft from me...

shovelhd
05-29-2014, 02:24 PM
I rarely do these kinds of rides anymore. They're too dangerous. Vehicles just aren't used to large packs of bicycles going 2 and 3 wide averaging 27mph and taking the lane for sprints. It frustrates the heck out of them when they try to pass. They are an accident waiting to happen.

I endorse riding, training or otherwise, with a camera. Cops around here won't do anything unless you are struck, although if an incident turns into road rage then it can be useful documentation as long as you keep your cool. Cops here won't dispute video if it's clear.

gdw
05-29-2014, 02:32 PM
"it's a sad day when considering front & rear mounted cameras as an after-the-fact defense mechanism."

+1
It's time to switch to mountain biking or find a new sport if the area where you ride is that dangerous or making you that paranoid.

Mark McM
05-29-2014, 02:35 PM
In Virginia we now have a 3ft law so it may help. Also in this case the guys driving was clearly intentional. It's worth a try anyway. And like I said if it's the last moment of my life on this earth and it's captured and a hit and run criminal is put in jail that makes it worth it.

The 3 ft. law now just means that they get a ticket when they run over a cyclist. Well, unless they claim that the cyclist swerved in front of them at the last moment - then they come away with no ticket or any other punishment just like before.

redir
05-29-2014, 02:38 PM
Where I live that one car last night was one of only about 4 that passed us that night. I rode down a road called Rt 42 last week and purposely counted the number of cars that passed me. In 40 miles of road 13 cars passed. Traffic is not an issue. I'm very lucky and grateful to live here because of that and it's why I am still here after all these years.

The far majority of drivers are descent people. All it takes is one.

We usually call car back and when it is safe to do so get single file and wave them on. This by the way was a group of 5. We had broken off a group of about 10. When the kids are at the University it can get big with two groups of 20 or so.

redir
05-29-2014, 02:39 PM
The 3 ft. law now just means that they get a ticket when they run over a cyclist. Well, unless they claim that the cyclist swerved in front of them at the last moment - then they come away with no ticket or any other punishment just like before.

I know what you mean.

54ny77
05-29-2014, 02:54 PM
that thought has crossed my mind more than once. not hanging things up entirely, but seriously not motivated to ride.

in the past couple/few years, i know people who've been killed or seriously injured while riding on the roads. i'm talking seasoned, very highly experienced folks, not the occasional weekend warrior who can't hold a line or know when to say when.

myself, i've skirted near misses so many times in recent years that if it weren't for my pretty decent handling skills, i'd be a statistic. i shudder to think of certain situations i've been in where if, say, my wife was riding her bike with me (either in front or behind), there's just no way her limited riding experience would be sufficient to allow for quick thinking/balance in avoiding a real mess. i could never live with myself if something bad happened.

it's just plain gotten worse out there and the enjoyment factor for me has gone way way way down.

as for mtb riding, it's hard to find a 3 hour easy spin mountain bike ride--mtb riding is tough!

"it's a sad day when considering front & rear mounted cameras as an after-the-fact defense mechanism."

+1
It's time to switch to mountain biking or find a new sport if the area where you ride is that dangerous or making you that paranoid.

Ahneida Ride
05-29-2014, 03:52 PM
All they have to say was it was an accident / not on purpose and it seems like they walk on the charges.

This is so true and even when they are flat out guilty, they get 3-4 years
and serve 1-2.

ultraman6970
05-29-2014, 03:56 PM
The bad part is that even with incriminating video, that won't assure the guy will be prosecuted or even get a descent punishment for an fatal accident. Just because happened before.

makoti
05-29-2014, 04:11 PM
In Virginia we now have a 3ft law so it may help.

We do? Since when? It's not being practiced in NoVa, that's for sure.

FastforaSlowGuy
05-29-2014, 04:26 PM
I rarely do these kinds of rides anymore. They're too dangerous. Vehicles just aren't used to large packs of bicycles going 2 and 3 wide averaging 27mph and taking the lane for sprints. It frustrates the heck out of them when they try to pass. They are an accident waiting to happen.

We had a bit of an argument on my last group ride when guys decided to sprint for a town line on a fairly busy street. My rule of thumb is, if there are cars behind, the sprint is off. It's just not worth the risk of getting hit or becoming the example drivers point to when they claim that cyclists are taking up the road.

shovelhd
05-29-2014, 06:22 PM
I applaud you for taking a stand. It's not a popular opinion.

Gummee
05-29-2014, 06:27 PM
If 'the sprint is on' aren't y'all coming darn close to or even going over the speed limit?

If that's the case, what's seems to be the issue?

If its not the case, then it ain't a sprint.

M

redir
05-29-2014, 06:57 PM
We do? Since when? It's not being practiced in NoVa, that's for sure.

Just a couple months ago. But since we don't have a continued drivers education system then only current 15 year old's in drivers ed are learning the law, if even that. When I took drivers ed I don't think the bicycle was even mentioned. So yeah, it's mostly an after the fact type law but still I do believe as more and more people know they are being watched then we are all better off.

We've all seen Russian dash board cams right? Reason they do that there is the same... proof!

Elefantino
05-29-2014, 08:13 PM
Let's hope the Rideye camera has more common sense in it than the developer. Some of the early footage of prototypes being used in L.A. was shot by an apparent bike idiot taking way too many chances in traffic.

If any of you are the bike idiot, I apologize for calling you a bike idiot.

BumbleBeeDave
05-29-2014, 08:44 PM

THANK YOU.

I've been saying this here ever since these idiot laws started being passed. They don't protect anybody.

There's absolutely no way to prove a driver was within 3 feet, 4 feet, or whatever of you unless they actually hit you--and then they get a traffic ticket. These do-nothing laws are just feel-good PR from legislators who want to look as if they have solved a problem when they have done nothing. Nothing. :no:

Please quit deluding yourselves, people. Geez . . . :crap:

BBD

redir
05-29-2014, 08:52 PM
THANK YOU.

I've been saying this here ever since these idiot laws started being passed. They don't protect anybody.

There's absolutely no way to prove a driver was within 3 feet, 4 feet, or whatever of you unless they actually hit you--and then they get a traffic ticket. These do-nothing laws are just feel-good PR from legislators who want to look as if they have solved a problem when they have done nothing. Nothing. :no:

Please quit deluding yourselves, people. Geez . . . :crap:

BBD

Unless they actually hit you right?

If that means that my killer has now violated a law then it also may mean that my wife can sue the chit out of him in a civil case. I think 'do-nothing' laws were actually advocated by cyclists who were sick and tired of fighting a system that is clearly against them.

cnighbor1
05-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Yes a rural rode two lane my wife and other were riding. A car accelerated passed me close pulled over to edge of road than pulled out and passed my wife very closely. He was proving what. that he is cable of inflicting great body damage to cyclists. wonderful way to enjoy life with that attitude!!