PDA

View Full Version : the idaho stop

cat6
05-29-2014, 10:39 AM
"Why cyclists should be able to roll through stop signs and ride through red lights"

http://www.vox.com/2014/5/9/5691098/why-cyclists-should-be-able-to-roll-through-stop-signs-and-ride

MattTuck
05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
Stopping at stop signs doesn't seem like an undue burden to me.

I'd rather cycling advocacy groups focus on stiffer penalties and effective campaigns aimed at stopping distracted and reckless driving. If we're going to ask drivers to treat us with respect, pay special attention to us and not run us down, I feel like the least we could do is obey the same rules of the road that they do.

It's a minor inconvenience for them to slow down and wait for a same time to pass. I feel the same about stopping at stop signs, especially if you're in view of drivers.

cat6
05-29-2014, 11:10 AM
Stopping at stop signs doesn't seem like an undue burden to me.

I'd rather cycling advocacy groups focus on stiffer penalties and effective campaigns aimed at stopping distracted and reckless driving. If we're going to ask drivers to treat us with respect, pay special attention to us and not run us down, I feel like the least we could do is obey the same rules of the road that they do.

It's a minor inconvenience for them to slow down and wait for a same time to pass. I feel the same about stopping at stop signs, especially if you're in view of drivers.

Do you stop at every stop sign you hit, unclip and put a foot down? If so how many stop signs do you encounter on an average ride?

MattTuck
05-29-2014, 11:20 AM
Do you stop at every stop sign you hit, unclip and put a foot down? If so how many stop signs do you encounter on an average ride?

I'll typically encounter 4 - 6 stop signs or lights on a 20 mile ride. Of the stop signs, I'd say I stop and unclip at 30%, stop and track stand at 60% to check for traffic (still achieve velocity of zero) and slowly roll through the remaining 10%.

And trust me, if it meant an end to distracted driving, not only would I stop, I would happily dismount at every stop sign.

David Tollefson
05-29-2014, 11:31 AM
This got hashed out pretty extensively on VS (I think, maybe it was Slowtwitch). My reaction is this:

(1) Let's not make laws that differentiate us further from motor vehicles. It'll only fuel the fire.

(2) Let's not make laws that think of cyclists only as the enthusiast rider, and doesn't make ANY sense for the kids on BMX bikes/old folks on beach cruisers/middle agers who just bought their first "real" bike and make them menaces on the road.

(3) Learn how to do a frickin' track stand.

Formulasaab
05-29-2014, 11:37 AM
This got hashed out pretty extensively on VS (I think, maybe it was Slowtwitch). My reaction is this:

(1) Let's not make laws that differentiate us further from motor vehicles. It'll only fuel the fire.

(2) Let's not make laws that think of cyclists only as the enthusiast rider, and doesn't make ANY sense for the kids on BMX bikes/old folks on beach cruisers/middle agers who just bought their first "real" bike and make them menaces on the road.

(3) Learn how to do a frickin' track stand.

Agreed!
Though it should be noted that on a bike with a freewheel, you can't track-stand on a downhill. ;)

Mr. Pink
05-29-2014, 11:53 AM
That scene from Harold and Kumar Go to White castle comes to mind. You know, the jaywalking scene.

Around here, the soccer moms in their SUVs seem to think it's Idaho when a stop sign appears.

cat6
05-29-2014, 12:14 PM
where i live it seems much safer to use rolling stops. if i'm riding with traffic and i have a clear cross section at an approaching stop, i'd imagine the cars behind me appreciate my slow roll opposed to a complete stop.

what works for some might not work for others, ymmv and all that...

blessthismess
05-29-2014, 12:22 PM
I agree with the Idaho stop law in in theory, unfortunately it relies a lot on the idea that people inherently have "common sense"

Mikej
05-29-2014, 12:22 PM
I burn 'em all if I can -freakin' cagers....