PDA

View Full Version : Helmet Pads

Matthew
05-28-2014, 03:41 PM
How does one get replacement helmet pads? Mine have worn out from general use and from removing them to wash them. The velcro has damaged the the underside. I have a Bell helmet that came with a couple extra but it seems the helmet will long outlive the pads. Any thoughts? Any alternatives from bike shops that may sell something that would work? Thanks.

djdj
05-28-2014, 03:55 PM
Try calling the manufacturer. When the pads on my Giro Pneumo disintigrated somewhat prematurely a few years ago, Giro sent me a new set gratis.

Ralph
05-28-2014, 04:25 PM
As above said....call the manufacturer. I've had Bell and Giro send me new pads free, and if over a couple years old, sell them to me cheap. There is usually replacement pads on E bay also. Lots of folks in that business on E Bay.

RedRider
05-28-2014, 06:01 PM
Bicycle helmets have a life expectancy of 3-4 yrs maximum. Sweat, heat and sunshine reduce the safety properties of the foam core and can shorten it even more. The mid to high priced helmets usually come with an extra set and that usually lasts for the life of the helmet.

CNY rider
05-28-2014, 06:23 PM
Bicycle helmets have a life expectancy of 3-4 yrs maximum. Sweat, heat and sunshine reduce the safety properties of the foam core and can shorten it even more. The mid to high priced helmets usually come with an extra set and that usually lasts for the life of the helmet.

Do you have data to back this up?

Matthew
05-28-2014, 06:31 PM
Never thought of Ebay for some reason. Can pretty much find anything there I suppose.

tlittlefield
05-28-2014, 07:20 PM
Ok, here are some basic rules for helmets.

1. Helmets get broken down by UV light. If you're going to keep it in the car or in the sun, it will break down faster. It will particularly break down cheaper helmets quicker that use lesser grade epoxies to bond the shells to the foam.

2. Helmets get broken down by heat. If they are in the car baking, they will die quicker.

3. Helmets get effected from crashes. If you go down on something hard and you see "ANY" dents, etc to your helmet, time to replace it. Same theory that applies to armored vehicles.. if you see a change in shape on a plate, replace it. Deals with the transfer of kinetic energy

Bell states 3 yrs and this is the result of aggregate testing. If you are keeping you helmet covered inside 90% of the time and you clean it with lemond pledge on the outside and shampoo on the inside you can probably pull 5 yrs easily.

However....... Divide a $150 by a day for each year of 3 yrs and i comes to something like 13 to 14 cents per day to have the helmet whether you ride it or not. I'd say good insurance and if it keeps me alive. I am going to buy a new one every 3 yrs.

bcroslin
05-28-2014, 08:18 PM
I've had good luck finding replacement pads on Amazon.

Peter P.
05-28-2014, 08:27 PM
Order replacement pads directly from your local bike shop.

Knowing my helmet would outlive the first set of pads, I ordered 2 spare sets at the same time I purchased my helmet from my LBS. That way the pads won't be hard to source once the helmet model has been discontinued.

Hope this tip helps you in the future.

dekindy
05-28-2014, 08:51 PM
http://www.biketiresdirect.com/search/bell-helmet-accessories