PDA

View Full Version : Switching from speedplay, but to what?

Highpowernut
05-27-2014, 07:23 PM
So my fit is requiring more stack height.

I am currently running speedplay zero ti on both bikes.(road and Tri) my shoes are northwave extreme speedplay compatible.

I am looking for the pros and cons of look, dura ace , etc .

Really like the speedplay but can't cut seatpost so I have to change.

I'll prob change shoes eventually, only have current shoes for speedplay sole.

Thanks
Wayne

donevwil
05-27-2014, 07:33 PM
You need more stack height ? Have you tried adding spacers between the cleats and shoes (Speedplay makes them) ? Can you simply drop the saddle and bars ?

Ozrider
05-27-2014, 07:41 PM
Maybe you could give more details on why you need more stack height on your pedals.
I am not quite sure what you mean by needing more stack height, but the difference stack between Speedplay and Shimano is 5mm.
8.5mm (Speedplay compatible Shoes) and Shimano 13.7mm
As @donevwil says, Speedplay make spacers to accommodate unequal leg length, so,this is an option or changing to shoes with a 3 bolt cleat (non Speedplay specific)
Simply lowering your saddle 5mm will solve this, and 5mm height difference on handlebar to saddle drop is negligible, but removing a 5mm spacer and placing it above the stem will bring the measurements into line.
Even changing saddles often requires raising or lowering the seatpost as different saddles have different height.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thegunner
05-27-2014, 07:42 PM
i've thought about the same switch (but mostly because i hate the cleats on speedplays), that said - if your main issue is stackheight, they definitely have shims that allow you to adjust that.

Highpowernut
05-27-2014, 07:52 PM
I switched shoes and pedals and the result is the seat must be lowered.
I need about .5 cm but can't cut seat post.

So a switch is necessary, figured I'd switch pedals cuz speedplay cleats suck for triathlon.

oldpotatoe
05-27-2014, 07:58 PM
I switched shoes and pedals and the result is the seat must be lowered.
I need about .5 cm but can't cut seat post.

So a switch is necessary, figured I'd switch pedals cuz speedplay cleats suck for triathlon.

Shimano or look...either DA or or Keo ....all good

pbarry
05-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Followed the seatmast thread with interest. I'd encourage you to explore the modification of the seatmast if you haven't already. It can be done, and will probably cost far less than new pedals for multiple bikes, and new shoes..

Edit: Since you aren't thrilled about SP for tri, then what OP said! Advantage is that re-sale of SP is very good. :)

mktng
05-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Switched to dura ace spd from speedplays. Increased q factor. Less knee pain. Less scraping on my crank arms. No heel rubbing on chain stay. No need to worry about running into the bushes to take a leak and not being able to clip back in. Just a few ups. Haven't seen any down sides yet.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

BdaGhisallo
05-28-2014, 04:25 AM
How much float do you use with your SP's? If it's six degrees or less, I would recommend Keywin pedals. You can back off the float adjustment screw and the float will approach the free feeling of SP's. They also pivot around a central point over the axle, much as SP's do. I haven't come across another pedal that does that.

If you want some extra stack height, go with the CRM model. That will get you about 9mm to play with. The newer Carbon models will get you about 6mm in added stack over the stated 8.5mm figure for SP.

echelon_john
05-28-2014, 05:18 AM
If you change to non-Speedplay native shoes don't you gain 3-4mm for the adaptor? That plus a shim?

shovelhd
05-28-2014, 07:46 AM
If you change to non-Speedplay native shoes don't you gain 3-4mm for the adaptor? That plus a shim?

Beat me to it.

Highpowernut
05-28-2014, 10:50 AM

Yes It will, that is the reason I'm having trouble. (Speedplay northwave adaptor) super low stack height. .3 mm.

I would prefer to cut seat post correctly so I can keep all bikes the same pedals/ shoe type.

Aggravating part is the shoe change that caused this was planned during fit process prior to Serotta cutting seat post first time.

shovelhd
05-28-2014, 11:51 AM
The four hole Speedplay compatible shoes have a lower cleat stack height than a standard three hole bike shoe with the adapter. I must be missing something.

ultraman6970
05-28-2014, 05:53 PM
Time RXS or maybe the unknown kiwi pedal... keywin.