PDA

View Full Version : Planet X Ultra Light CNC Brake Calipers?

Tony
05-27-2014, 05:48 PM
Anyone here have any experience with Planet X Ultra Light CNC Brake Calipers?

Also, a interesting brake review by Fairwheel

Tony
05-27-2014, 06:04 PM
Forgot to add the link to the brake review.
http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=125349

stien
05-27-2014, 07:23 PM
I didnt see planet x brakes in that review but I can tell you I've been using them and have been happy with their performance thus far.

binouye
05-27-2014, 08:07 PM
I've got a pair. They have decent modulation (Swiss Stop pads) but I found they took more hand force at the levers (Ergos) than my Campy Records, so the Record calipers went back on that bike.
The Planet X brakes got moved to the fixed gear bike instead.

stien
05-27-2014, 08:12 PM
I've got a pair. They have decent modulation (Swiss Stop pads) but I found they took more hand force at the levers (Ergos) than my Campy Records, so the Record calipers went back on that bike.
The Planet X brakes got moved to the fixed gear bike instead.

I can see that being an issue if you go between bikes, but for me having one it's a get used to it once and you're golden type thing.

I do agree, more hand force.

Edit: I weigh 155# soaking wet.

bianchi10
05-27-2014, 08:32 PM
Anyone here have any experience with Planet X Ultra Light CNC Brake Calipers?

Also, a interesting brake review by Fairwheel

Here is a review I posted on a different forum

http://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycling/867000-planet-x-cnc-brake-calipers-pictures-info.html

russd32
05-27-2014, 09:31 PM
I had a set, but I ended up selling them because they wouldn't clear 25's on my frame. They were good brakes though, stopped well and were pretty light. They also looked great, the quality is very impressive for the price.

fffuhq
05-28-2014, 02:52 AM
they were quite tight with a wider wheel. ended up getting sram red aero link instead.

izzyfuld
05-28-2014, 03:07 AM
My brother has a pair on his crit bike. He often says "they slow you down. Not stop you" which is fine by him I think because I also often hear him saying "if you hit your brakes you lose" :) I on the other hand am very heavy and like strong stoping power. Trp r960 for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yashcha
05-28-2014, 03:48 AM
They are light, inexpensive, and work well. Mine is the forged version though.

azrider
05-21-2015, 10:00 PM
Can anyone else chime in on their experience with Planet X brakes?

I'm trying to eek out just few more mm of clearance and am hoping these could do the trick?

THanks all

R3awak3n
05-21-2015, 10:11 PM
I don't have experience with the Planet X but when I was looking for a new set of brakes and wanted to save weight I looked at everything and read tons of reviews.

Of course I wanted EE Brakes but at $600 it wasn't going to happen. I about bought the planet X but read a lot of bad reviews about it. Braking being not so good, specially if you are a big buy. Also I hate single pivot brakes.

I ended up getting a pair of Far and Near brakes (yes they are more expensive and not as light, almost as light), I got lucky and got a new set on ebay for $70 shipped but was ready to buy them for $220. I have now used them and they are excellent, they brake as good as the centaur skeletons they replaced.

So my recommendation is if you want to spend a little more money then get the far and nears, on the fair wheel review they came out as a great set of brakes for the money.

azrider
05-21-2015, 11:45 PM
Thanks for review of the Far and Near brakes. Question: did they help increase your clearance for larger tires by chance ?

Thanks

Bruce K
05-22-2015, 04:26 AM
I have Planet X on all my road bikes

They work fine and look great

Plus, price is nice, too

BK

peanutgallery
05-22-2015, 06:14 AM
Slightly related

Anyone order something recently? Went to get some planet x items and did not realize that the usa store was now drop shipping from the UK. salty shipping cost and DHL

I went someplace else. They've always been a good source for parts, curious about recent experience

Bruce K
05-22-2015, 06:16 AM
That might end it for me

See the related DHL thread about duties and fees

Liked doing business with a USA based store

BK

R3awak3n
05-22-2015, 06:58 AM
Thanks for review of the Far and Near brakes. Question: did they help increase your clearance for larger tires by chance ?

Thanks

It's tough to say, that bike has a good amount of clearance and never had clearance problems with the campy brakes so it was not something I checked. I would check for you but the campy brakes are long gone

bkw
05-22-2015, 07:48 AM
I have the CNC ones in black/red and they're fantastic. Light, great modulation, relatively inexpensive, and they look good. I recently upgraded to a Felt AR and I wish they'd release a direct mount for the rear so I can match the set and toss the crappy shimano unit into the bin.

reggiebaseball
05-22-2015, 12:38 PM
Can anyone else chime in on their experience with Planet X brakes?

I'm trying to eek out just few more mm of clearance and am hoping these could do the trick?

THanks all

Yes they will do the trick.
They offer 2-3mm better clearance than stock Campy brakes, for example.