PDA

View Full Version : shimming an OS cyclometer mount for std-diameter bars?

wallymann
05-27-2014, 02:28 PM
figure i can do several wraps of electrical tape and i'll be fine, but if anyone has more elegant solutions to shim an OS-spec cyclometer mount to work with std-diameter bars, i'm all ears!

Scuzzer
05-27-2014, 02:42 PM
3M rubber tape

Lewis Moon
05-27-2014, 02:43 PM
cut an inner tube.

wallymann
05-27-2014, 02:47 PM
cut an inner tube.

excellent idea!

Mark McM
05-27-2014, 03:11 PM
The difference in diameter is close to 1/4", so a shim would have to be about 1/8" thick. That's a lot of electrical tape. And probably won't provide a very solid mounting surface.

A more structurally solid mount would be to use a 26.0mm to 31.7mm handlebar shim, like the Problem Solvers shim (http://problemsolversbike.com/products/handlebar_shims), which costs about $8. I've used this shim to mount an Out Front Garmin mount for a Garmin 800, and it's very secure.

wallymann
05-27-2014, 03:52 PM
just tried some innertube. ~4 wraps will get you the right thickness, but it's too mushy for my taste.

just ordered some 1/8" thick x 1/2" wide rubber strip in med-hard rubber...should do the trick.

c-record
05-27-2014, 04:41 PM
Go to your local shop and they will have a bin full of rubber shims used for reflectors. Each new bike comes with a bag full of them and very few get used. Very clean and some are even ridged to center the spacer under the clamp.

Unless the clamp in question varies from what I'm picturing then I'm no help.

vqdriver
05-27-2014, 04:48 PM
i did this not too long ago for a light mount. any kind of foam tape, electrical tape, rubber, etc... had squish to it whenever i toggled the brightness or switched on and off. the light had a recessed weatherproof button so that exacerbated things. don't know what computer you're using, but repeated button mashing would be a pain.

ultimately i used a handlebar shim like Marc suggested. either metal or plastic would work, but it's gotta be something rigid to get enough purchase without overtightening. it's amazing how much less clamping pressure is required for it to function so much better.

OtayBW
05-27-2014, 07:26 PM
Rubber gasket material from any hardware or plumbing supply store. Cut to fit. Et voila!