PDA

View Full Version : So What's Happened to Trek?

pjmsj21
05-27-2014, 12:37 PM
This past weekend, we spent time on Bainbridge Island which is a popular place for Seattle cyclists to head over to and ride as it has a good cycling environment.

So while out walking and doing some riding, I am a bit surprised to see almost every road bike being a Specialized and I don't think I saw a Trek in three days. If my experiences and observations about market share are even remotely reflective of what is happening in the market, Specialized seems to be eating Trek's lunch. Is this really the case?

BTW; I do not own either brand.

melonyogloo
05-27-2014, 12:53 PM
Come to the Midwest. I see Treks everywhere in Milwaukee, Chicago, and Minneapolis. Maybe the West Coast thing.

FlashUNC
05-27-2014, 12:59 PM
My guess is location more than anything.

See a fair share of Treks, Specs and Cannondales on rides here every weekend.

AngryScientist
05-27-2014, 01:01 PM
i think a lot of it has to do with what the best local shop sells.

ceolwulf
05-27-2014, 01:06 PM

That's pretty much it I think.

My area will likely be filled with Scotts soon as the one good local shop has started carrying them. Most mountain bikes are already Rocky Mountain for the same reason.

oliver1850
05-27-2014, 01:16 PM

Not necessarily the best.........

All three shops closest to me are Trek shops. Two used to be exclusively Trek, but one has just picked up Colnago.

William
05-27-2014, 01:20 PM
I see a lot of Spec-ed and Felt around here, Trek a distant third. Passed a guy on a Spec this morning on my way to the gym, said "Hi" and I rode past went on my merry way.

William

hida yanra
05-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Bainbridge Island
<snip>

Specialized seems to be eating Trek's lunch. Is this really the case?

Right- a few thoughts.

Seattle is an odd spot for Trek (and also Giant, FWIW)
It is absolutely true, there aren't many Treks around, that's accurate. But that is mostly to do w/ which shops Trek has exclusive agreements with in this area- and what those Treks sit next to in the showroom.
In a show room w/ Madone, Tarmac/Roubaix, Dogma, & SuperSix/Synapse... those Madones aren't the ones standing out in a crowd.
Whether or not it is a good long-term business plan for them, eh, not a big worry in my world.

To your second question- 'S' & Cervelo have eaten into Trek's dominance of the American market in a big way. 10 years ago Treks were ubiquitous (see your local Cragslist for confirmation), and now they are a major brand. This certainly isn't the end of the world for them, but it isn't great news either.

thirdgenbird
05-27-2014, 01:43 PM
Not necessarily the best.........

All three shops closest to me are Trek shops. Two used to be exclusively Trek, but one has just picked up Colnago.

This.

CunegoFan
05-27-2014, 01:47 PM
Trek needs to find a new doper to support. That will bring in the sheep.

GeorgeTSquirrel
05-27-2014, 01:51 PM
I think it's a Bainbridge thing... I don't recall seeing a disproportionate number of Specialized bikes when I lived in Fauntleroy. Perhaps take a ride on the Burke-Gilman for comparison? FWIW, I was riding a Kona when I lived out there. I mostly ride a Trek at the moment.

MattTuck
05-27-2014, 01:55 PM
Perhaps they're not trademarking generic terms and then suing people frivolously enough...

Keith A
05-27-2014, 02:58 PM
i think a lot of it has to do with what the best local shop sells.This is true in my area. I would say that almost half of the guys/gals that do our local "A" rides are riding a Trek with most of these being a Madone. And with no strong Specialized dealer in our area, you rarely see one on our group rides.

Lewis Moon
05-27-2014, 03:22 PM
Used to be Colnagos, Masis and the stray Paramount.....

biker72
05-27-2014, 03:51 PM
Trek and Specialized are still selling well where I work.

thirdgenbird
05-27-2014, 03:52 PM
Perhaps they're not trademarking generic terms and then suing people frivolously enough...

They started by suing subaru. It just is not as popular to complain about trek's legal team.

vqdriver
05-27-2014, 04:54 PM
mostly cannondales on my regular routes but i do see a lot of treks still.

fwiw, they may be popping up more and more on the trails since they unloaded a tidal wave of 650b this year. and by all accounts they're quite well designed.

notoriousdjw
05-27-2014, 06:55 PM
Classic Cycle in Bainbridge is a Trek dealer and is a really cool bike shop. They bill themselves as a museum and have a bunch of interesting vintage bicycles (colnago titanio with split downtube caught my eye) on display.

I don't recall what Trek stock they had (because nothing from Trek interests me I guess) but they had more Ritchey Breakaways than I have ever seen in one place including a couple of the titanium versions. Not sure why you didn't see any Treks but I don't think it is lack of dealer support.

stien
05-27-2014, 07:59 PM
I agree with the local shop. Only real shop on cape cod sells only trek road bikes. As a result everyone has one. Many with the Bontrager carbon wheels that must've been $$ new, yikes. Makes me glad I build our bikes.

Elefantino
05-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Trek needs to find a new doper to support. That will bring in the sheep.
*favorite*

Chris
05-27-2014, 08:49 PM
I'm not buying a bike with a brake behind the bottom bracket. My 1989 Schwinn mountain bike had them. They sucked 25 years ago and I've heard from lots of folks that they still suck.

likebikes
05-27-2014, 09:07 PM
Trek is still the #1 brand nationwide, no?

http://www.rvms.com/thevoyageout/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/representation.jpg

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/opinion-analysis/2012/06/20/rick-vosper-whos-number-1#.U4VE8ehX-uY

Wonder how the pie chart has changed since then.

kykr13
05-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Lots of them around here, but the factory isn't far and every other shop has the line. As a matter of fact, I rode my Ritchey past there over the weekend. :rolleyes:

krhea
05-27-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm not buying a bike with a brake behind the bottom bracket. My 1989 Schwinn mountain bike had them. They sucked 25 years ago and I've heard from lots of folks that they still suck.

FYI, Trek makes more road bikes without that brake placement then they do with that behind the BB placement...So I have a feeling you must have another reason for not buying a Trek.

mcteague
05-28-2014, 06:18 AM
Trek is still the #1 brand nationwide, no?

http://www.rvms.com/thevoyageout/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/representation.jpg

http://www.bicycleretailer.com/opinion-analysis/2012/06/20/rick-vosper-whos-number-1#.U4VE8ehX-uY

Wonder how the pie chart has changed since then.

I gotta find that "Other" brand. They seem to be the most popular!:D

Tim

Chris
05-28-2014, 06:48 AM
FYI, Trek makes more road bikes without that brake placement then they do with that behind the BB placement...So I have a feeling you must have another reason for not buying a Trek.

Most of that was tongue in cheek. I have a Trek cross bike that I love and use a lot as my dirt road/bad weather bike. However, I got on the website just yesterday to look at their offerings for high end road stuff. This move to sticking the brake underneath the frame, as many other manufacturers are doing, is a definite point of contention for me though. I think it's ridiculous and in the grand scheme of things does not help the rider more than it could potential cause problems in an actual race situation. So many changes just to be changes...

earlfoss
05-28-2014, 07:40 AM
That rear brake configuration is going away on the Madones in the next model year. Also look for the Domane to take the sweet spot in Trek's model lineup. They're doing some cool stuff with that bike in R&D right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk