PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Record 9 rear hub question

bfd
05-27-2014, 11:39 AM
:banana:I recently picked up a couple of Campy rear hubs. One is a Chorus with oversized axle. Nice hub and looking forward to building it! :banana:

The other is a Record 9 rear hub. This one is the pre-oversized axle rear hub and may be from 1998. It looks like this one:

http://static.lfgss.com/attachments/61619d1355241675-rear-hub.jpg

Unfortunately, it did not come with a skewer or box. The freehub body is aluminum and will fit 9/10/11 cassettes.

However, looking around I see that there was a "titanium" rear hub from this generation that looks like this hub. What was "titanium" on these rear hub, e.g., axles?, and how do I tell if this hub is "titanium" or not?
:confused::butt::eek:

Thanks in advance for your help! :banana:

wallymann
05-27-2014, 12:34 PM
IIRC the axles were Ti.

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/6VEAAMXQ7j1SKPOX/$(KGrHqR,!ogFI(eBrPndBSKPOW4Gyw~~60_12.JPG

oliver1850
05-27-2014, 12:55 PM
This hub is a Record Ti 8 speed that has been converted to 9 speed, but both 8 and 9 speed models used the same axle. You can ID it by the presence of "CAMPAGNOLO" on the drive side end.

distanc3
05-27-2014, 01:03 PM
Kind of off topic

Are there any significant differences between the pre-oversize and oversize hubs in terms of lock rings, thing to look out for during maintenance or noticeable performance differences?

bfd
05-27-2014, 01:15 PM
This hub is a Record Ti 8 speed that has been converted to 9 speed, but both 8 and 9 speed models used the same axle. You can ID it by the presence of "CAMPAGNOLO" on the drive side end.

Thanks! I will look at this when I get home. I will also put a magnet to the axle to see if it sticks! :eek::cool::butt:

bfd
05-27-2014, 01:31 PM
Kind of off topic

Are there any significant differences between the pre-oversize and oversize hubs in terms of lock rings, thing to look out for during maintenance or noticeable performance differences?

Yes. Lockrings - the newer rear hubs with the oversized axles use a 27.0mm threaded OD lockring. These are pretty common and can be found relatively easily and cheaply ($10-25). The older rear hubs that do not have the oversized axle use a 26.0mm threaded OD lockring. These lockrings are rarer and cost from $35 on up.

Maintenance - both rear hubs use cup and cones. The newer rear hub with the oversized axles seem to be easier to open up and bearings are smaller (?) like 5/32" instead of the old standard 1/4" ball bearings:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CANEWHUB.JPG

Finally, performance difference - weight. The newer Record rear hub with the oversized axles supposedly weigh in around 250g; 1999-2006 Chorus and Centaur are like 10g to 20g heavier, but have the same innards as Record!

The older rear hub weighed in the 370-400g range. Definitely heavier when holding them! Good Luck!

distanc3
05-27-2014, 01:42 PM
Yes. Lockrings - the newer rear hubs with the oversized axles use a 27.0mm threaded OD lockring. These are pretty common and can be found relatively easily and cheaply ($10-25). The older rear hubs that do not have the oversized axle use a 26.0mm threaded OD lockring. These lockrings are rarer and cost from $35 on up.

Maintenance - both rear hubs use cup and cones. The newer rear hub with the oversized axles seem to be easier to open up and bearings are smaller (?) like 5/32" instead of the old standard 1/4" ball bearings:

http://www.yellowjersey.org/photosfromthepast/CANEWHUB.JPG

Finally, performance difference - weight. The newer Record rear hub with the oversized axles supposedly weigh in around 250g; 1999-2006 Chorus and Centaur are like 10g to 20g heavier, but have the same innards as Record!

The older rear hub weighed in the 370-400g range. Definitely heavier when holding them! Good Luck!

What are the chances of swapping oversize hub bodies to shimano/campy? would the oversize hub fall into the same replacement body as the current line used in the zonda/euru/shamals that are available in Shimano 8/9/10?

oldpotatoe
05-27-2014, 01:55 PM
What are the chances of swapping oversize hub bodies to shimano/campy? would the oversize hub fall into the same replacement body as the current line used in the zonda/euru/shamals that are available in Shimano 8/9/10?

Yep..any Campagnolo aluminum axle hub can be Campagnolo or 'HG', including 11s..plug and play.

Mark McM
05-27-2014, 02:20 PM
Kind of off topic

Another difference in maintenance is that the pre-oversize hubs don't have a clip to hold the freehub pawls, so you'll need to use a pawl retaining tool when re-installing the freehub body. If you don't have the official tool, you can improvise with a piece of wire or length of string.