PDA

View Full Version : Dirty Kanza - tips for first-timers?

josephr
05-27-2014, 08:30 AM
This is my first DK --- I'm not too worried about the distance as I've only signed up for the Half-Pint (100mi). I'm looking at this as a stepping stone for 2015 for the 200mi option.

I recall hearing something about short warm up rides on Thursday...each about 20 miles, but cannot locate where I read that or find again. :help:

Any tips for the newbies? Fun stuff to do in Emporia? Ever packed grass-fed beef for the drive home?
Joe

jcampbel
05-27-2014, 09:10 AM
Eric has some good tips:
http://adventuremonkey.com/blog/dirty-kanza-200-advice

jmoore
05-27-2014, 01:24 PM
My inlaws live in Kansas. Riding in the Flint Hills is really nice but the wind can be BRUTAL. Last year I rode 4 days over Memorial Day weekend and it was rough. Steady 25mph winds for hours on end through the KS rollers. Good times.

This tweaks my interest in a gravel bike big time.

josephr
05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
My inlaws live in Kansas. Riding in the Flint Hills is really nice but the wind can be BRUTAL. Last year I rode 4 days over Memorial Day weekend and it was rough. Steady 25mph winds for hours on end through the KS rollers. Good times.

This tweaks my interest in a gravel bike big time.

25mph headwind means lots of misery and suffering which is a good ride!
25mph tailwind means a great pace with less fatigue --- also a good ride!

tiretrax
05-27-2014, 04:46 PM
Riding in the Flint Hills is really nice but the wind can be BRUTAL. Last year I rode 4 days over Memorial Day weekend and it was rough. Steady 25mph winds for hours on end through the KS rollers.

That says a lot coming from someone living in Dallas!

Jason, The Spinistry races are a well organized and nearby (Denton/Decatur area). Check out their Facebook page - they told me they're not putting as much effort into their website.

Andreas
05-27-2014, 06:57 PM
There is a long standing forum member who came in 3rd in the 200 in 2013 - may be pm him?