PDA

View Full Version : TIG Welded Steel frame for 300 lb Rider

Rouleur88
05-26-2014, 10:35 PM
I'm currently looking for a extra large 61-62cm framed bicycle. I was told of a TIG welded Steel frame that is available in my size. Is a TIG welded frame as strong, for cycling purposes, as a lugged steel frame? I am 300 lbs but will only be at that weight for a very short time.

christian
05-26-2014, 10:40 PM
Yes. Assuming the tubing is of appropriate diameter, gauge, and butting (or lack thereof, the joinery method makes no appreciable difference as to the strength of the frame.

bikemoore
05-26-2014, 11:04 PM
There is no need to worry about the strength of TIG welding. If anything, I would more comfortable with the strength of a welded joint than a lugged/brazed joint which relies on a soft metal spread over a larger surface area to make the joint. Properly executed welds are plenty strong. When TIG welded road bikes came along when the norm was brazing, the knock against TIG welding had nothing to do with strength. Roadies just didn't like the ascetics of welds after decades of oohing and aahhing and arguing over lugs and brazed joints.

rphetteplace
05-26-2014, 11:19 PM
No problems what so ever. Just go double oversized and don't go for crazy light spirit/life kind of tubes.