PDA

View Full Version : Installing a bottom pull front derailleur on a Moots Psychlo X

s4life
05-26-2014, 04:23 PM
Hi all,
I need some help installing a road front derailleur on a moots CX. I am thinking I need some sort of cable re-routing or a device that will mimic the bottom pull movement.. or does the moots come ready for this type of installation?

This is my first CX build and I am learning as I go! thanks for all your help in advance!

foon
05-26-2014, 04:48 PM
You can use a pulley like this:
http://problemsolversbike.com/products/cross_clamps_pulleys

tuscanyswe
05-26-2014, 04:55 PM
Dunno bout the current models but they used to be build with a pulley wheel inside the rear triangle, at least mine does. So you can just use whatever front fd you normally do.

oldpotatoe
05-26-2014, 05:18 PM
Hi all,
I need some help installing a road front derailleur on a moots CX. I am thinking I need some sort of cable re-routing or a device that will mimic the bottom pull movement.. or does the moots come ready for this type of installation?

This is my first CX build and I am learning as I go! thanks for all your help in advance!

You should have a wee threaded brazeon on back of seat tube down by the bb for a bolt on roller.

Gummee
05-26-2014, 07:49 PM
There's 2 better options than a pulley: Umlenker device that simulates bottom pull from the top (have one, never used it) or a CX70 front derailleur. Have one of those too and ride it LOTS. Much mo bettah than any pulley you can put on your bike.

HTH

M

s4life
05-27-2014, 08:37 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!
no pulley wheel inside the rear triangle and I don't see anything that resembles a braze on by the bb.. I'll take photos -- I mean to post this build in the production bikes forum too so this is a good chance!

I will try installing my own SR11 front derailleur -- it just looks better -- but if nothing works I will look into top pull derailleur options.

Regards!

Gummee
05-28-2014, 08:17 AM
no pulley wheel inside the rear triangle and I don't see anything that resembles a braze on by the bb.. I'll take photos -- I mean to post this build in the production bikes forum too so this is a good chance!

I will try installing my own SR11 front derailleur -- it just looks better -- but if nothing works I will look into top pull derailleur options.

Regards!
AFAIK there's only one top pull road derailleur option. CX70

If you're stuck on the SR stuff, google umlenker.

M

oldpotatoe
05-28-2014, 08:30 AM

Regards!

Is the fder cable routing along the top tube or under the BB shell? If cross frame and under BB shell, very unusual.

s4life
06-13-2014, 12:22 AM
Is the fder cable routing along the top tube or under the BB shell? If cross frame and under BB shell, very unusual.

master oldpotatoe, all cables are routed along top tube as well. I meant to say that if I can't install my SR11 front derailleur using w/e device is available, I'll look into top pull derailleur options.

Thank you all for your help,

A

Steve in SLO
06-13-2014, 01:26 AM
Maybe it was built as a 1x frame?

oldpotatoe
06-13-2014, 06:33 AM
master oldpotatoe, all cables are routed along top tube as well. I meant to say that if I can't install my SR11 front derailleur using w/e device is available, I'll look into top pull derailleur options.

Thank you all for your help,

A

Top tube routed front der cable/housing and no place for pulley is very unusual.

3 cable stops along top tube? Fder, rear der and rear brake?

Pix of back of seat tube?? Not that I don't believe ya but I can't believe the boys at Moots didn't put one there..

s4life
06-13-2014, 09:26 AM
I guess this is how the back of the seat tube should look?

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/project-monstercross-moots-psychlo-x-rsl-frameset10.jpg

My frame has that braze-on in the back of the seat tube, but I doesn't have the pulley.. I checked the moots website and they don't seem to have it either. What kind of pulley is that and where can I get it?

Thanks!
A
Top tube routed front der cable/housing and no place for pulley is very unusual.

3 cable stops along top tube? Fder, rear der and rear brake?

Pix of back of seat tube?? Not that I don't believe ya but I can't believe the boys at Moots didn't put one there..

sashae
06-13-2014, 09:30 AM
You can get either the Problem Solvers or Thorne pulley here (http://www.cyclocrossworld.com/cyclocross-misc-parts).

skijoring
06-13-2014, 09:31 AM
I can send you a free pulley, but I can't send it out until June 20-21. :banana:

oldpotatoe
06-13-2014, 09:34 AM
I guess this is how the back of the seat tube should look?

http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/project-monstercross-moots-psychlo-x-rsl-frameset10.jpg

My frame has that braze-on in the back of the seat tube, but I doesn't have the pulley.. I checked the moots website and they don't seem to have it either. What kind of pulley is that and where can I get it?

Thanks!
A

Ahhhh, any pulley, Moots one, problem solver, lots of choices. Go see a decent LBS....didn't think it was forgotten.

s4life
06-13-2014, 11:06 PM
Thanks guys,
I really appreciate your advise/help!

Best,
A