PDA

View Full Version : Merckx MX Leader's - Vintage vs 2004/2005 frames?

damocles
05-26-2014, 04:14 PM
So I've had a nice clean Merckx on the "wish list" for some time... Been watching a few here and there, and enjoying the dissection of that Belgian one on another recent thread.

Can any of your Merckx expert's out there provide some insight on the 2004/2005 "re-issued" MX Leaders vs the original "vintage" ones from the 80's and 90's? The obvious difference I can see is the 2004/2005 one's have unthreaded forks.

Are these any more/less desirable? Looks like only 100 of the Motorola one's were made.

According to GITA (http://www.gitabike.com/cgi-bin/shop/merckx_loadhome.cgi?file=merckx.html) these sold for $1,600 in 2004 for the Molteni and $1,950 in 2005 for the Motorola. Any thoughts on current value for a great condition one?

Lastly, on most of my "modern" bikes I'm using a 55.5cm to 56cm effective top tube, and am thinking I'd fit best on a 55cm Merckx which would have a similar top tube length. Good logic?

texbike
05-26-2014, 04:36 PM
Can any of your Merckx expert's out there provide some insight on the 2004/2005 "re-issued" MX Leaders vs the original "vintage" ones from the 80's and 90's? The obvious difference I can see is the 2004/2005 one's have unthreaded forks.

Are these any more/less desirable? Looks like only 100 of the Motorola one's were made.

According to GITA (http://www.gitabike.com/cgi-bin/shop/merckx_loadhome.cgi?file=merckx.html) these sold for $1,600 in 2004 for the Molteni and $1,950 in 2005 for the Motorola. Any thoughts on current value for a great condition one?

Lastly, on most of my "modern" bikes I'm using a 55.5cm to 56cm effective top tube, and am thinking I'd fit best on a 55cm Merckx which would have a similar top tube length. Good logic?

Besides the threadless forks, the Re-Issues also didn't have chrome on the chainstays like the originals.

As for desirability, it's been mentioned by some that have owned both an original and a Re-Issue that the later bikes didn't ride as nicely as the originals (made during the 90s). I haven't ridden a Re-Issue and therefore couldn't confirm or deny that rumor. I personally prefer the originals but wouldn't mind owning a Re-Issue if a nice deal popped up on one in my size.

On pricing, I'd guess somewhere around $1K-$1200 for a minty frameset in an average size.

For fit, be sure to pay attention to the STA/HTA differences between the MXL and your current bike. The MXLs tended to have slacker STAs.

Good luck in your search!

Texbike

Climb01742
05-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I owned a mid-90s MXL and one of the re-issues. For me it was a night and day difference. The original was my favorite riding bike I've ever had. The re-issue was just a run-of-the-mill steel bike. The difference is puzzling. I've always wondered how much had to do with the original forks. My .02 is hold out for an original.

oldpotatoe
05-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Besides the threadless forks, the Re-Issues also didn't have chrome on the chainstays like the originals.

As for desirability, it's been mentioned by some that have owned both an original and a Re-Issue that the later bikes didn't ride as nicely as the originals (made during the 90s). I haven't ridden a Re-Issue and therefore couldn't confirm or deny that rumor. I personally prefer the originals but wouldn't mind owning a Re-Issue if a nice deal popped up on one in my size.

On pricing, I'd guess somewhere around $1K-$1200 for a minty frameset in an average size.

For fit, be sure to pay attention to the STA/HTA differences between the MXL and your current bike. The MXLs tended to have slacker STAs.

Texbike

Owned both, old and 2 re issues, they all ride identically. Btw I had the forks threaded on the 2 reissues, still have a Molteni one.

christian
05-26-2014, 06:00 PM
Older ones are threaded and have chromed chain stays, and are frequently afflicted by stupidly low brake bridges. Reissue ones don't.

I don't understand the appeal of the Molteni ones at all - totally anachronous.

damocles
05-26-2014, 06:09 PM

Texbike

Thanks for your comments Texbike... So a slacker STA would put the saddle further back all other things being equal right?

damocles
05-26-2014, 06:12 PM
Btw I had the forks threaded on the 2 reissues

Oldpotatoe, forgive my lack of detailed knowledge here (and thanks for yours), but by having the forks threaded I'm assuming you're then able to run a traditional quill stem? That certainly appeals to me... Where/how did you get this conversion done? Cheers...

oldpotatoe
05-26-2014, 06:22 PM
Oldpotatoe, forgive my lack of detailed knowledge here (and thanks for yours), but by having the forks threaded I'm assuming you're then able to run a traditional quill stem? That certainly appeals to me... Where/how did you get this conversion done? Cheers...

That is correct. I know a guy locally who has a lathe. Boulder. Guy with a machine shop who was main designer for Maverick.

wallymann
05-26-2014, 06:57 PM
thats kinda the point. ;)

wallymann
05-26-2014, 06:58 PM
assuming you keep your saddle fore-aft relative to BB constant (which is what you should be doing) a slacker STA shortens the effective top-tube length.

your position should not change willy-nilly just because a frame has slightly different geometry.

So a slacker STA would put the saddle further back all other things being equal right?

Climb01742
05-26-2014, 07:17 PM
Owned both, old and 2 re issues, they all ride identically. Btw I had the forks threaded on the 2 reissues, still have a Molteni one.

I stick by my feeling that original and re-issue rode differently, but if you're gonna take anyone's advice, even I'd trust the old spud.;)

witcombusa
05-26-2014, 07:31 PM
Older ones are threaded and have chromed chain stays, and are frequently afflicted by stupidly low brake bridges. Reissue ones don't.

"frequently" afflicted?

Are you saying that from batch to batch the early bikes had the rear brake bridge in different positions?

My '98 team bike has plenty of room for a 25mm tire/mid slot on the brakes.

merckx
05-26-2014, 07:39 PM
The Merckx MXL was a benchmark machine for me. It was used as a template for my current Zank and Della Santa. My current rides are as perfect as perfection can be, but they wouldn't be if the MXL didn't come first. I should have kept my MXL out of respect.

merckx
05-26-2014, 07:41 PM
"frequently" afflicted?

Are you saying that from batch to batch the early bikes had the rear brake bridge in different positions?

My '98 team bike has plenty of room for a 25mm tire/mid slot on the brakes.

Those brake bridges were moving targets. Consider yourself lucky.

christian
05-26-2014, 07:46 PM
Yup, mine would fit a Conti 25 (actual 23.3) with about 1.5mm to spare.

wallymann
05-26-2014, 07:57 PM
Yup, mine would fit a Conti 25 (actual 23.3) with about 1.5mm to spare.

many '90s merckx had this affliction. here's one with a 28mm schwalbe ultremo...TIGHT!

http://brown-snout.com/cycling/bikes/merckx_corsa-os/IMG_20130917_175134_188.jpg

damocles
05-26-2014, 11:13 PM
assuming you keep your saddle fore-aft relative to BB constant (which is what you should be doing) a slacker STA shortens the effective top-tube length.

your position should not change willy-nilly just because a frame has slightly different geometry.

Thanks Wallymann, I appreciate the guidance on this...

christian
05-26-2014, 11:19 PM
many '90s merckx had this affliction. here's one with a 28mm schwalbe ultremo...TIGHT!

http://brown-snout.com/cycling/bikes/merckx_corsa-os/IMG_20130917_175134_188.jpg

Haha, yeah, that'd be a no-go for me. Call me crazy, but if I can't fit a 3mm allen key in between, I'm not real comfortable.

thwart
05-27-2014, 03:12 PM
Well, one owner's guess as to the value of one of the Corsa 01's from the re-issue batch…

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=148943&highlight=molteni

witcombusa
05-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Follow up. You guys got me curious.
Some more pix of the brake bridge on my '98 MXL.
Rim is Velocity A23, Tire is Vittoria Open Corsa Evo CX, 700 x 25
She measures almost 26mm in cross section w/this rim.
I have 4mm of clearance above tire. Brakes about mid slot.

cnighbor1
05-27-2014, 05:18 PM
The Eddy Merckx to own is those built by De Rosa for Eddy Merckx
A nicer built frame with finer details

oldpotatoe
05-27-2014, 06:18 PM
The Eddy Merckx to own is those built by De Rosa for Eddy Merckx
A nicer built frame with finer details

I'm gonna do some research but Merckx as a company started in 1980, and those frames were made in Belgium. The 'Merckx' made by DeRosa were team bikes and not for sale as cumsumer bikes. The one pictured is a Merckx made Merckx, I just sold one identical to it.

Could be wrong but I'll call my buddy at Gita.