PDA

View Full Version : Campagnolo Zonda.....How hard to change a tire?

Ralph
05-26-2014, 03:41 PM
For over 30 years I've always used hand builts (Record Hubs 32's....aluminum rims, DT spokes, brass nipps, etc) by a terrific local builder, who doesn't charge much (spoiled....I know), and never have had one single problem with her wheels in all this time, now thinking about some medium depth "wheels otta box" as OP says. Campy cassette body. Zonda's are about the price I'm accustomed to spending for wheels ($550 ish), and the very latest versions are lighter than older ones, but still come in a clincher version and a two way fit version. Not interested in two way fit, but wonder how hard it is to change a flat out on the road with the newest Zonda regular clincher version. I'm accustomed to maybe using one tire iron to help get tire off, and fingers to put it back on. And I'm reasonably skillful at doing this. I also have a set of old rims I use to stretch new tires before I use them. So anyone changed a flat on a new version Zonda clincher lately? BTW....I usually run Michelin tires.....Pro race or Lithion. They are not difficult on my other rims.

merckx
05-26-2014, 03:46 PM
I have not encountered a challenge when mounting tires on Zondas. You should be worry free. Neutrons are a different matter.

killerrabbit
05-26-2014, 03:50 PM
I use Zondas as well. No problems mounting tires here either.

Very good wheels for the price, btw.

biker72
05-26-2014, 04:05 PM
My Continental 4 Season tires were "challenging" to get on the Zonda wheels.

The Zondas are great wheels. I honestly expected some spoke problems but so far so good.

Saffs
05-26-2014, 04:20 PM
Same experience here, on the previous generation Zondas, with All Seasons. Seem as awkward as the Protons are. Doable by all means, just I need two levers to get the tire off and one to get the tire on.

They are great wheels. I used mine for about last years CX season and they weren't even out of true afterwards.

(Why did I do that? They rode great and I got them cheap haha.)

My Continental 4 Season tires were "challenging" to get on the Zonda wheels.

The Zondas are great wheels. I honestly expected some spoke problems but so far so good.

rounder
05-26-2014, 10:05 PM
I have three sets of Neutrons. The most recent are the Neutron Ultras. I like them. Tires are hard to install the first time around. I ride Conti 4000s. After that, they reinstall fine. My favorite set are the new ones with the Neutron Ultras with a Chorus cassette. When coasting, the wheels purr.

DerekB
05-27-2014, 04:05 AM
I am running Vittoria open corsa cx 25's on my Zondas and installed them using only my fingers the first time. I have changed one tube and needed no levers.
I do have to report my rear had a sticky pawl at first which I corrected with a little less oem grease and a little oil.

thwart
05-27-2014, 06:43 AM
Folks have stated that the new Zondas are easier to mount tires on… but no personal experience.

AngryScientist
05-27-2014, 06:46 AM
in my experience the reports of tight fitting tires on campy wheels is totally overblown. sure they may be a thumb buster to get tires on the first time, but once the tires stretch out, especially in hot weather, remounting is really not a big deal. i've never had an issue on the side of the road with lots of different campy wheels. i would not let that concern deter you from some of the nicest pre-builts on the market.

dana_e
05-27-2014, 09:58 AM
really helps, 23s are passe

jemoryl
05-27-2014, 05:51 PM
I have Protons and recent Zondas (non-two way) and the Zondas are by far easier to mount tires on. I have heard the older Campy wheels like my Protons will be easier to deal with if one uses a really thin rim strip instead of the factory ones, but I haven't checked this. The newer Zondas are not drilled through and have no rim strip at all, so maybe that makes a difference?

Ralph
05-29-2014, 06:11 AM
So.....what is the advantage of the far more expensive Eurus and Shamal wheels with their thick bladed aluminum spokes VS the bladed thinner steel spokes of the Zonda's......other than about 100 grams of weight? And I can see where the weight loss comes from....some extra milling in rims, carbon hubs, and lighter aluminum spokes, etc. But some of those "advantages" don't seem like pluses to me. Assuming, if i broke a spoke on the Zonda's, could probably substitute in another brand if necessary.....maybe wrong on that. Anyone have an opinion on this. BTW.....Zonda's cheap now from several places.

Mark McM
05-29-2014, 09:22 AM
So.....what is the advantage of the far more expensive Eurus and Shamal wheels with their thick bladed aluminum spokes VS the bladed thinner steel spokes of the Zonda's......other than about 100 grams of weight? And I can see where the weight loss comes from....some extra milling in rims, carbon hubs, and lighter aluminum spokes, etc. But some of those "advantages" don't seem like pluses to me. Assuming, if i broke a spoke on the Zonda's, could probably substitute in another brand if necessary.....maybe wrong on that. Anyone have an opinion on this. BTW.....Zonda's cheap now from several places.

I can't conceive of any advantage of aluminum spokes over steel. While steel is three times denser than aluminum, it also has about three times the strength, and three times the stiffness (modulus). For a member with unidirectional stress, a steel spoke and an aluminum spoke of the same weight will have just about the same strength and stiffness - except that the steel spoke will be thinner, for less aero drag.

In addition, steel has a higher fatigue limit than aluminum. Spokes experience a very number of stress cycles (about 800 cycles per mile for a 700c wheel), so steel spokes should have a longer fatigue life than aluminum spokes.

dana_e
05-29-2014, 09:26 AM
sweet price point and nice wheels

you can mount tires on them, use a 25, and do not push with thumbs to get tire in, pull towards you using your finger tips, you can get way more power

binxnyrwarrsoul
05-29-2014, 09:57 AM

Ralph
05-29-2014, 11:36 AM
sweet price point and nice wheels

you can mount tires on them, use a 25, and do not push with thumbs to get tire in, pull towards you using your finger tips, you can get way more power

I've been using 23's on some wheels, and 25's on others. Think I'm just going to use all 23's in future. Smooth roads around here, and I weigh about 155. And I like how they fit the rim better than 25's. I'm just not a convert for my use.