PDA

View Full Version : What makes a good gravel bike

stephenmarklay
05-25-2014, 06:31 PM
I did a little dirt road riding today and we have a fair amount of this sort of roads/riding available.

Right now I have one bike, a Bridgestone RB-1, with 28mm Conti tires.

It worked OK. There were some washboard sections that made climbing and descending a little tricky. I know that those conditions are tough for a road bike or non suspending bike.

It got me thinking should I make the RB-1 better at this or build up a bike that is better suited. Aside from clearance for bigger tires what makes a good gravel bike? I am better off starting with a mountain bike rather than a road bike?

Thoughts?

Der_Kruscher
05-25-2014, 06:41 PM
Just about any cyclocross bike works just fine. Maybe one that has a relatively low BB.

bobswire
05-25-2014, 06:46 PM
I did a little dirt road riding today and we have a fair amount of this sort of roads/riding available.

Right now I have one bike, a Bridgestone RB-1, with 28mm Conti tires.

It worked OK. There were some washboard sections that made climbing and descending a little tricky. I know that those conditions are tough for a road bike or non suspending bike.

It got me thinking should I make the RB-1 better at this or build up a bike that is better suited. Aside from clearance for bigger tires what makes a good gravel bike? I am better off starting with a mountain bike rather than a road bike?

Thoughts?

I build this one up in order to ride what you are describing more confidently as well as comfortably a Surly Cross Check , cost me under $800 total to build up but I already had the wheels. It has become my favorite ride (maybe because it is still new,I'll know more in a few weeks). Right now Bicycle Outfitters Indy has a sale on the Cross Check frame set $360 delivered with memorial day 25% off coupon.
http://www.bicycleoutfittersindy.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=surly+cross+check

http://i60.tinypic.com/30xd0k3.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/wkloiq.jpg

Ken Robb
05-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Slack angles and long chainstays make a bike more stable which I like when riding on loose surfaces. Lots of touring bikes are built this way.

Jgrooms
05-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Specialized Tricross. Never much of a 'real' cross bike. However, perfect gravel bike. Long stays, great fork, Roubaix tech (if you buy into that), plentiful and cheap. Mine sans cages and pedals comes in at a low 17 lbs.

rnhood
05-25-2014, 07:02 PM
Specialized Tricross. Never much of a 'real' cross bike. However, perfect gravel bike. Long stays, great fork, Roubaix tech (if you buy into that), plentiful and cheap. Mine sans cages and pedals comes in at a low 17 lbs.

Agree, the Tricross is near perfect for this type riding - and doesn't weight a ton - nor cost a ton.

The new Trek Boone is also a nice gravel grinder. Its got the isobar (or whatever its called) suspension. Not much but every little bit helps.

The Surly is a bargain even if it weighs more. For the budget minded, I doubt one can do better.

robin3mj
05-25-2014, 07:16 PM
Agree, the Tricross is near perfect for this type riding - and doesn't weight a ton - nor cost a ton.

The new Trek Boone is also a nice gravel grinder. Its got the isobar (or whatever its called) suspension. Not much but every little bit helps.

The Surly is a bargain even if it weighs more. For the budget minded, I doubt one can do better.

Re: the Boone. I think it's the same geo as the Crockett, which I picked up this winter because I wanted to replace my old commuter with something with discs. It rides much more road-like than any of my previous CX bikes which is appreciated on both my commute and on dirt roads. I am an infrequent enough cx racer that anything it gives up in race geo is not going to be my limiting factor.

stephenmarklay
05-25-2014, 07:45 PM
I build this one up in order to ride what you are describing more confidently as well as comfortably a Surly Cross Check , cost me under $800 total to build up but I already had the wheels. It has become my favorite ride (maybe because it is still new,I'll know more in a few weeks). Right now Bicycle Outfitters Indy has a sale on the Cross Check frame set $360 delivered with memorial day 25% off coupon.

Funny I had one about for a few years. I rode it between 2001(2) and sold it around 2004. I really liked it and it WAS very versatile. I did few long centuries on it and some commuting. At the time I did not do gravel or have appropriate tires.

A quick question on your build. It looks like you may have went smaller on the frame and stacked the stem? That would may be a nice way to go for more dirt?

Good thought. Thank you.

mtb_frk
05-25-2014, 07:56 PM
I just picked up a redline conquest from pricepoint. They are blowing them out right now. The geometry looks pretty good, has disc brakes, and was probably 90-95% of what I was looking for. It doesn't have fender mounts, and max tire size is 35mm. But I have a whiskey fork for it that should take a bigger tire in the front at least. I plan to race this for cross and also use it as my main good weather gravel bike until I can get some fenders on it.

SlackMan
05-25-2014, 08:06 PM

Unfortunately, the 25% off is not valid on bicycles. Tried the Surly and discount didn't work.

jimoots
05-25-2014, 09:55 PM
Personally I've never ridden a bike with canti's but find that when I'm riding firetrack/singletrack/dirt-road, my Ultegra 6700 rim brakes were insufficient in technical and or bumpy descents.

Disc brakes seem to work a lot better with a lot less hand effort which makes the experience of riding down unknown bumpy roads (because discovery and exploring is half the fun) at a cautious pace a lot more pleasant.

stephenmarklay
05-25-2014, 10:26 PM
Personally I've never ridden a bike with canti's but find that when I'm riding firetrack/singletrack/dirt-road, my Ultegra 6700 rim brakes were insufficient in technical and or bumpy descents.

Disc brakes seem to work a lot better with a lot less hand effort which makes the experience of riding down unknown bumpy roads (because discovery and exploring is half the fun) at a cautious pace a lot more pleasant.

I have never had love for canti brakes myself. I think a disc bike would be nice.

bobswire
05-25-2014, 10:48 PM
Unfortunately, the 25% off is not valid on bicycles. Tried the Surly and discount didn't work.

It worked for the Surly frame set, don't know about a full bike. I always build up my own bikes. I bought another to build up besides the one I posted above.

From Paypal receipt: Business Name:
Bicycle Outfitters Indy (The recipient of this payment is Verified)

Total amount:
-$360.00 USD

cat6
05-26-2014, 01:35 AM
Disc brakes, bb30, oversized HT and electronic shifting are pretty much necessary if your grinding any serious gravel.

fogrider
05-26-2014, 01:51 AM
no doubt a cross bike is a great way to explore dirt and trails. I have one and love it for dirt rides! I think a gravel bike is more of a road bike that can handle bigger tires to ride the trails and gravel roads that pop up. I would say a gravel bike is not to replace a cross bike, and I'm sure there are guys that will want one bike to do everything and a cross bike might be their choice. But a true cross bike will have lower gearing for the dirt, even bigger tires and different geo. Which is great for the dirt, but for the road I prefer the ride of my road bike. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to want to be bombing down steep gravel roads on a gravel bike, so powerful brakes is big deal for me. I want a gravel bike that is pretty much the same as my road bike but designed for bigger tires.

jimoots
05-26-2014, 02:18 AM
Disc brakes, bb30, oversized HT and electronic shifting are pretty much necessary if your grinding any serious gravel.

Hahahah

05-26-2014, 02:41 AM

And you left the FMB silk cross tubulars and the aero bars off the list? When are you going to take this seriously?

Seriously, and really seriously, it helps to decide what you want to do with the bike. Some on here like to tour back roads, some effectively want to race. Some are into really sloppy gravel roads -- I think they are the same people who like mud in winter -- and others want packed roads that you can make a lot more speed on (and that's speed, upright). The options are as varied as you can find in a mountain bike. Of course, you DO need electronic shifting, 11-speed, and those FMB silk tubulars. Just like on your regular road ride.

Remember, whatever you ride, that a lot of gravel rides have a lot of pavement under them as well. If you build the bike like a pure cross bike, it may not be great on the roads, and nothing feels worse than a dead road bike. You're still basically riding a road bike, so I like to say that this bike should be a road bike with tire clearances. I don't see changing the bike into a cross bike unless you just want a bit of a touring bike -- this forum is full of people who go in for fancy road bikes and high performance equipment, so why not do the same for your gravel ride? Not trying to be snobby or snotty, just saying that enjoying your back roads long term, you want the same riding attributes you have in your Parlee or your S5. Nick Crumpton once made a carbon fiber frame called the Flahute, which was built with thicker-walled tubing, stronger chain stays, wishbone seat stay, and a superb ride on the likes of a Flemish cobbled race or a southern Italian strada blanche special. It fits 28 mm Contis and passes everybody -- and I mean everybody -- on back roads. I've gone back to him for more, but that one bike was a unique and exemplary design that was the perfect gravel bike before there were defined gravel bikes. Dave Kirk also had his earlier bikes which, in steel, did something similar -- clearances, vertical compliance, and a frame that rode fast enough to race (and felt like it even if I wasn't).

Everyone has their own idea of what to ride, just like everyone picks what they want on the road -- Colnago C60 or Surly Long Haul Trucker or Richard Sachs or Cervelo -- you should feel free to do the same on backroads. And pick the kind of roads you want to ride, just like you pick mountains or not, scenic waterfronts or fast pace lines. Get what you want. Remember, the pros are riding these roads on 25 or at most 27 mm tires. If it fits you, it's a good gravel bike.

jr59
05-26-2014, 03:22 AM

:banana::banana:

very funny

oldpotatoe
05-26-2014, 06:13 AM

Tee-hee

stephenmarklay
05-26-2014, 07:24 AM
Thanks for the thoughts!

The things that I could improve over what I have is better tires or perhaps just gearing to allow me to spin more. I was slipping the rear standing even being careful. That was using my 42x27.

I also was really beaten up coming back down on the washboards so I had to slow down a lot. I am not sure there is a lot to be done about that unless I opt for a suspension fork. At that point I might as well get a mountain bike.

As far as "Disc brakes, bb30, oversized HT and electronic shifting" I was actually thinking to just get a single speed 29er to use for this kind of exploring. Opposite ends of the spectrum!

witcombusa
05-26-2014, 07:30 AM

:rolleyes:

witcombusa
05-26-2014, 07:41 AM
Thanks for the thoughts!

The things that I could improve over what I have is better tires or perhaps just gearing to allow me to spin more. I was slipping the rear standing even being careful. That was using my 42x27.

I also was really beaten up coming back down on the washboards so I had to slow down a lot. I am not sure there is a lot to be done about that unless I opt for a suspension fork. At that point I might as well get a mountain bike.

As far as "Disc brakes, bb30, oversized HT and electronic shifting" I was actually thinking to just get a single speed 29er to use for this kind of exploring. Opposite ends of the spectrum!

What used to be called "euro road stage geo." still works great for me. My requirements might include; 43cm or longer CS, room for tires 32mm or bigger at the proper pressure, gearing as close to a 1 to 1 as your fitness and location demands.
Brakes need to work but on dirt/gravel almost any decent brake will easily lock either wheel so no discs for me. Stutter/braking bumps that form by traffic are best ridden "loose" on the bike. The more you tense up the worse it will be. Much of this is confidence driven. Give it time.

mike p
05-26-2014, 08:20 AM
As many here have already said it really comes down to the intended use of the bike. "Gravel road bike" can cover a lot of different types of riding. It also comes down to your skills and preference. Many here will disagree with me but I think you already own the perfect backroad, gravel bike. I've owned a couple RB-1's and I think they were perfect for bombing gravel, seasonal roads, and even a little single track every now and then.

Mike

saab2000
05-26-2014, 08:29 AM
Stable handling. Meaty tires.

I used my Indy Fab this weekend on a tough gravel ride in Virginia and I had Michelin Jets. They were great. And the disc brakes didn't suck either.

The real key was the stable handling made possible by long chain stays and a properly sorted front geometry, whatever that means. I don't know enough to comment, but it made all the difference.

It's not a cross bike either but people seem to think it is because it has disc brakes and fat treaded tires.

csm
05-26-2014, 09:29 AM
I've got a Salsa Fargo that I ride pretty much anywhere. It's a bit of overkill for most gravel but I put Clement MSO tires on it and that makes it more interesting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

gomango
05-26-2014, 11:24 AM
I've got a Salsa Fargo that I ride pretty much anywhere. It's a bit of overkill for most gravel but I put Clement MSO tires on it and that makes it more interesting.

I have a Fargo as well.

I have that and a Honda Trail 90 at the cabin in Ely.

I can't imagine have any more fun than those two machines.

FWIW I just ordered the MSOs this morning. Have you had them on pavement as well?

Any pics? Thanks.

stephenmarklay
05-26-2014, 11:32 AM
I have a Fargo as well.

I have that and a Honda Trail 90 at the cabin in Ely.

I can't imagine have any more fun than those two machines.

FWIW I just ordered the MSOs this morning. Have you had them on pavement as well?

Any pics? Thanks.

Well the HT90 is almost as fun as my TW200 :banana:

csm
05-26-2014, 11:41 AM
I've been riding the MSOs on pavement, gravel and trails here and there. They almost make me think I could go down to one bike with a couple/few pairs of wheels. That one bike would have to be the Fargo ti! We've actually got 3 Fargos in the garage,... My wife's, mine and my son's.
I'll take a pic and post.

csm
05-26-2014, 11:49 AM
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/27/zavy5ery.jpg

aatores
05-26-2014, 01:51 PM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=145840

Nags&Ducs
05-26-2014, 03:14 PM

Nice looking Surly! I'm very tempted- have one just like yours in the cart at indy. Still himmin and hawwin and can't seem to PTT. $360 delivered is a great deal, just not sure I need one. I have a steel Ciocc inbound, and plan on getting a steel De Rosa next so my cupboard is full. Still, I have a hard time passing up such deals. A bike like this would be my market/city explorer bike where I wouldn't be too upset if it got dinged up or worse stolen. I'd build it with cheap Campy 8 or 9 spd and Mavic OPs.

gomango
05-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HDhttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/05/27/zavy5ery.jpg

Thanks for the pics.

That's quite a stable. :)

cat6
05-26-2014, 04:28 PM

Nags&Ducs
05-26-2014, 05:36 PM
for me the most important thing is the tires. sure dudes ride gnarly gravel on 28's with no problem, but at the end of the day there's a better way.

my biggest consideration pre-ride is the dirt/road ratio. if it's a 50 mile ride 10 miles of dirt/gravel, i will leave the knobbies at home. if i'm going to be on dirt 85% of the ride, i want knobbie tires. where i live most off road riding will involve a decent amount of sand, like thick-wash-out sand, so having some traction makes a big difference.

Hey is that SoCal? Looks very familiar to me- like Cheseboro Canyon.

Nice bikes btw!

witcombusa
05-26-2014, 07:37 PM
http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u141/lukerulz/Bike/1983%20Specialized%20Sequoia/B3E43D81-6229-4AFF-B97F-AACB7274B5D4_zpsxhwgv3ez.jpg

so yeah...tires...

By the time you need tires like this, why not just take a hardtail mtb?

Gummee
05-26-2014, 07:42 PM
no doubt a cross bike is a great way to explore dirt and trails. I have one and love it for dirt rides! I think a gravel bike is more of a road bike that can handle bigger tires to ride the trails and gravel roads that pop up. I would say a gravel bike is not to replace a cross bike, and I'm sure there are guys that will want one bike to do everything and a cross bike might be their choice. But a true cross bike will have lower gearing for the dirt, even bigger tires and different geo. Which is great for the dirt, but for the road I prefer the ride of my road bike. I'm pretty sure I'm not going to want to be bombing down steep gravel roads on a gravel bike, so powerful brakes is big deal for me. I want a gravel bike that is pretty much the same as my road bike but designed for bigger tires.
My CX race bike(s)* have become gravel bikes with the changing of rings and maybe smaller cassettes.

I've got a Gunnar Crosshairs that makes a very good gravel bike. Not quite a race bike, but you'll have a hard time prying it out of my fingers.

M

*Fuji Altamira CX 1.0 and a Van Dessel Full Tilt Boogie
M

cat6
05-26-2014, 08:33 PM
By the time you need tires like this, why not just take a hardtail mtb?

agreed! i eventually ditched that bike and bought a custom soulcraft dirtbomb (picture above the rivendell) for rough stuff. more of a specilized rock combo than stumpjumper, but purpose built nonetheless.

GRAVELBIKE
05-26-2014, 08:47 PM
Every bike I own is part gravel bike, because every bike gets ridden on dirt and gravel. What makes them good gravel bikes? They fit me properly so that I can ride relaxed on pavement, dirt, gravel, etc.

One of my favorite rigs for non-technical dirt/gravel is my Black Mountain Cycles road model. It's 56/56 with 73/73 angles, and rolls on 25-28mm road tires. No canti's, no discs. Just dual-pivot calipers and an 11-speed SRAM road drivetrain.

Like they say, free your mind and your bike will follow.

oldpotatoe
05-27-2014, 08:13 AM
Every bike I own is part gravel bike, because every bike gets ridden on dirt and gravel. What makes them good gravel bikes? They fit me properly so that I can ride relaxed on pavement, dirt, gravel, etc.

One of my favorite rigs for non-technical dirt/gravel is my Black Mountain Cycles road model. It's 56/56 with 73/73 angles, and rolls on 25-28mm road tires. No canti's, no discs. Just dual-pivot calipers and an 11-speed SRAM road drivetrain.

Like they say, free your mind and your bike will follow.

Yep-

Coming out of Lyons going east. Ute highway..turn right at the farm with the great big guy with the broken cowboy hat..ya know, the 25 foot one..that dirt road..I do that all the time..also the one leaving Boulder HWY 36, just past Pros closet on the left.....little industrial park on the right..turn right, down hill, onto dirt..do that one also...

On my Moots Vamoots..Pave clinchers, 27mm....

Gummee
05-27-2014, 09:04 AM
Yep-

Coming out of Lyons going east. Ute highway..turn right at the farm with the great big guy with the broken cowboy hat..ya know, the 25 foot one..that dirt road..I do that all the time..also the one leaving Boulder HWY 36, just past Pros closet on the left.....little industrial park on the right..turn right, down hill, onto dirt..do that one also...

On my Moots Vamoots..Pave clinchers, 27mm....Them's some fun roads.

M

unterhausen
05-27-2014, 07:32 PM
a couple of years ago, I rode my road bike with the worlds smallest 32mm tires, and it worked ok. Biggest issue on that bike was lower trail than I would like, and some self-steering. Some people like lower trail bikes on gravel, I'm not one of them. Cantilever brakes meant for some hairy moments too, didn't like them. Last couple of years, I rode a bike with some 30mm tires that were considerably larger, higher trail and it worked much better. This year, I'm going to even larger tires and discs, I hope it works better yet