PDA

View Full Version : lightweight base layer?

one60
05-25-2014, 12:04 PM
interested in suggestions for lightweight base layer to replace a well worn Craft top. Looking to spend under $25? (never have understood why these simple pieces can be so expensive)

jlwdm
05-25-2014, 12:51 PM
Hard to beat Craft, but a little more $. Craft has so many choices for different conditions. I have about 10 Craft base layers; 6 white, 2 red and 2 black.

Jeff

RedRider
05-25-2014, 12:51 PM
The Craft Superlight is my personal favorite next-to-skin base layer for all year riding but it's $50. Cotton T Shirts are running $20+ so if you want the high-tech stuff you'll probably have to pay more. Base layers rarely go on sale but you might get lucky.

Lewis Moon
05-25-2014, 12:58 PM
Craft. Popped for one, now angling to get more.

Peter P.
05-25-2014, 02:10 PM
Try Long's Cycles. (http://longscycle.com/product/base-layer-fusion-short-sleeve-cycling-bike-bicycle-jersey-sockguy/)

If you like closeouts and seconds, you'll find a bargain there.

I've also had good luck with DeFeet baselayers (http://www.defeet.com/63359/Base-Layers.html).

The prices for the above exceed your $25 limit, however. I checked Sierra Trading Post which sells seconds and closeouts as well but there are no cycling compatible baselayers.

I think you're going to be hard pressed to find them within your price range.

shovelhd
05-25-2014, 02:34 PM
Under $25 I use Starter from WalMart.

jensenn
05-25-2014, 02:55 PM
Pactimo is having a sale right now. Use code "BA14EST' for an additional 30% off. Zero weight base layer comes out to $19 and some change. Kind of annoyed cause my girlfriend just bought me the sleeveless baselayer last week and paid the regular price...

Lewis Moon
05-25-2014, 08:45 PM
Pactimo is having a sale right now. Use code "BA14EST' for an additional 30% off. Zero weight base layer comes out to $19 and some change. Kind of annoyed cause my girlfriend just bought me the sleeveless baselayer last week and paid the regular price...

Thank you!

mvrider
05-26-2014, 01:11 AM
I like Craft too, but really, my $5 C9 by Champion undershirts from Target work just as well. They're made from wicking polyester, though I don't know if they're still available, since I got mine on clearance.

Gummee
05-26-2014, 06:35 AM
IDK if they're under $25, but the Castelli Seamless Sleeveless and/or Core Mesh base layers are great.

Also in the rotation are a Garneau very lightweight base and mesh base.

Good stuff

M

Dired
05-26-2014, 07:09 AM
+1 for craft

christian
05-26-2014, 07:24 AM
I like Craft too, but really, my $5 C9 by Champion undershirts from Target work just as well. They're made from wicking polyester, though I don't know if they're still available, since I got mine on clearance.
I loooove the C9 by Champion stuff, but I have found the polyester undershirts don't compare to a cycling-specific mesh base layer. I can wet out one of the C9 shirts in about an hour of mtb. In the same time, my Campagnolo and Castelli base layers are damp at the neck and sleeve hems, but otherwise dry.

I ordered two of the Pactimo base layers. They look identical to the Rapha mesh ones, and I got two shipped for $50.

christian
06-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Update - tested the Pactimo baselayers.

I used one on a 2:20 hour road ride in temps ranging from 65d to 77d on Sunday. It stayed dry and vented very well when I had my jersey zipper dropped. I used the other on a 1:40 hill-repeats workout on my mtb late Saturday night. The baselayer stayed pretty dry and I did not get chilled riding home at low effort after some higher-effort work. I give them a solid "works well" rating. They did what I expected and worked well.

A size medium is pro-cyclist tight on me at 5'11, 165-170, but doesn't ride up if I wear bibs.

All in all, I am more than satisfied at $25 per baselayer.

thunderworks
06-02-2014, 08:13 AM
I've been quite happy with Giordana base layers. They make a very lightweight base in sleeveless, short sleeves, and a long sleeve version. I've had good luck finding them on ebay quite inexpensively. I think the last time I bought some I paid around $18.

FlashUNC
06-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Replace the Craft with another Craft.