PDA

View Full Version : do computer wheel magnets wear out?

eddief
02-15-2006, 07:09 PM
that says it all. on my cateye cordless i have new batteries in the head and in the sender, but only getting an occasional mph reading.

Chief
02-15-2006, 07:13 PM
I suppose over time with a lot of bumps they could lose their magnetization, but I don't think this is likely. See if it attracts steel or iron. If not, it is history. If so, try placing the magnet as close to the sensor that you can and check the contacts on your computer. Try rubbing the contacts with an eraser to make sure they are electrically clean.

jwprolo
02-15-2006, 07:15 PM
My magnet was ruined by oxidization. That could be a possibility, but would be pretty obvious.

ada@prorider.or
02-15-2006, 08:05 PM
My magnet was ruined by oxidization. That could be a possibility, but would be pretty obvious.

well simply
then this was very low quality magnet
buy a neodinum magnet strong last a live time

you can buy these in almost any form

Sandy
02-15-2006, 08:10 PM
Do what Chief says. He knows everthing there is to know in engineering and most everything else.

Sandy

jerk
02-15-2006, 08:12 PM
that says it all. on my cateye cordless i have new batteries in the head and in the sender, but only getting an occasional mph reading.

no. move the magnet.

jerk

Rover-Rich
02-15-2006, 09:29 PM
Are you sure the problem is with the sensor detecting the magnet? I had a problem with a cateye wireless before and it had to do with the sensor unit making communication with the computer head. Turns out that my heatrate monitor was interferring. Also had a problem with the sensor unit being too far from the computer head. You may want to hold the computer near the sensor and see if that fixes the problem. Hope this helps.

Bud_E
02-16-2006, 10:29 AM

I don't know if magnets wear out as you described, but the same thing happened to my cateye cordless. I replaced both batteries and even with holding the magnet in my hand and waving it by the sensor , I was only able to get it to "register" sporadically. I installed a new computer ( wireless flight deck ) which works perfectly with the same magnet. I'm guessing that the sensor/transmitter just flakes out after a while - or not.

Kevan
02-16-2006, 10:33 AM
under those power lines.

eddief
02-16-2006, 02:58 PM
after applying the scientific, try some patience, method it turns out I had one bad sending unit out of the four bikes with Cateye Wireless Computers.

Called Cateye and no questions asked they are sending a new sending unit out immediately.

They have always done great customer service.