PDA

View Full Version : More stunning video from AToC

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 10:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bEw7eXizLg

I've been above 50 before but never on curves like THIS. These guys are in a whole different league. Just ONE little miscalculation and . . .

BBD

bobswire
05-22-2014, 10:56 AM
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=149094

I've been above 50 before but never on curves like THIS. These guys are in a whole different league. Just ONE little miscalculation and . . .

BBD

So I have to buy the hubs before seeing the video? :)

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Sorry, wrong link! Fixed it. That's what happens when I try to create a thread at 55mph . . . :eek: :p

BBD

bobswire
05-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Sorry, wrong link! Fixed it. That's what happens when I try to create a thread at 55mph . . . :eek: :p

BBD

Pretty cool, I've very seldom have had the chance to exceed 45 mph.

David Tollefson
05-22-2014, 11:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bEw7eXizLg

BBD

Looks like an absolute BLAST! I didn't see anything particularly menacing -- no hairpins, relatively open, good sight distance. Things naturally spread out a bit on descents like this because, really, there's not much point in staying 6" off some one's wheel.

ceewho
05-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Pretty sweet footage. I like watching them lean side to side with the lean propagating down the line of riders.

On Stage 5, they were saying Taylor Phinney was hitting 75 mph... :eek:

MattTuck
05-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Pretty cool, I've very seldom have had the chance to exceed 45 mph.

Yep. After crashing on a descent, I'm not one to push the pace downhill. Try to keep it under 40 unless I have great sight lines, and even then, 40 seems pretty fast to me. Maybe its that I'm not young anymore, or have come to the conclusion that a helmet and lycra offers very little protection at 40mph.

But the biggest thing is just dealing with the potential energy converting into kinetic energy on a descent. You can really get into trouble quick in those situations.

TBDSeattle
05-22-2014, 12:18 PM
wow.

wow.

at about 1:50 it starts getting insane.

Nope, I've never done anything like that before. Doubt I ever will.

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 12:28 PM
wow.

wow.

at about 1:50 it starts getting insane.

Nope, I've never done anything like that before. Doubt I ever will.

When I first started watching it I thought "Hey, that doesn't look so bad. I could do that."

Then it got to the 1:50 point and I had to go put on clean underwear.

BBD

Scooper
05-22-2014, 12:45 PM
I'm a nervous wreck after just watching it.

Whew!

gaucho753
05-22-2014, 03:20 PM
That's coming down Decker Canyon. I grew up about two miles from this descent and must have ridden that road hundreds of times. The section from about 2:40 to 2:55 is by far the steepest part, and where you really have to watch your speed so you don't fly over the rail or veer into oncoming traffic at the right turn ~2:53 in the video. Coming out of that turn (around 2:55 to 3:05) is where you're most likely to reach max speed. Definitely a fun descent, but not as fun as going down Rock Store.

tiretrax
05-22-2014, 04:02 PM
I wish the camera was forward facing.

If you haven't ridden over 50 mph, I suggest you do the Copper Triangle on August 2. There is a very long, curvy descent after the second rest stop where I was going 48-55 and getting passed! There are four descents on the route, although the last one isn't as much fun because it's on a narrow path with folks coming up it, too. The ride benefits the Davis Phinney Foundation, too.

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 04:08 PM
. . . buy me some clean underwear?

BBD

beeatnik
05-22-2014, 04:20 PM
That's coming down Decker Canyon. I grew up about two miles from this descent and must have ridden that road hundreds of times. The section from about 2:40 to 2:55 is by far the steepest part, and where you really have to watch your speed so you don't fly over the rail or veer into oncoming traffic at the right turn ~2:53 in the video. Coming out of that turn (around 2:55 to 3:05) is where you're most likely to reach max speed. Definitely a fun descent, but not as fun as going down Rock Store.

Ya, and not very technical. That and the stage 7 descent on ACH. On Angeles Crest you dont have to touch the brakes for the whole section from Clear Creek to Foothill. Without wind and limited to a single lane, a 35mph average isn't too tough. A recreational cyclist using the whole road could hit 45-50 easily.

Anyhoo, the fact that they're pedaling gives you an idea of the lack of difficulty in those sections. That and heart rates under 100 when they tuck:

http://www.strava.com/segments/1338669

http://www.strava.com/segments/1202741?filter=overall

Saguaro
05-22-2014, 06:30 PM
I grew up in Agoura (hi gaucho 753!) so those roads look very familiar to me. I used to drive my 1968 MGB GT through there, probably about as fast as those guys are riding!

foo_fighter
05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
My buddy sent me this one as a reply:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7_Fq56g2c

It's even more insane(real life Breaking Away scene).

tiretrax
05-22-2014, 06:40 PM
. . . buy me some clean underwear?

BBD

New chamois

Cornfed
05-22-2014, 08:19 PM
This close to a signpost. Plus crossing back and forth over lane reflectors, and on a road where rocks tumble on to the road with some frequency, ... insane. Bet they didn't even appreciate the scenery. ;)

pdmtong
05-22-2014, 08:32 PM
This close to a signpost. Plus crossing back and forth over lane reflectors, and on a road where rocks tumble on to the road with some frequency, ... insane. Bet they didn't even appreciate the scenery. ;)

you would think that going that fast, someone would have to hit a lane dot even if they are cognizant.

in my world that would create a pucker of epic proportions.

plus, like you say, the loose rock and gravel.

recall what wiggo said about the ordinary descent on stage 7...sky just cant mail the stage in because a puncture at that speed would result in much time loss - race not over until yellow safely across.

danielpack22@ma
05-23-2014, 08:45 AM

Every time they crossed the center line I thought about hitting the reflectors and how I can feel those in my truck let alone on my bike!

Fatty
05-23-2014, 09:41 AM
My buddy sent me this one as a reply:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO7_Fq56g2c

It's even more insane(real life Breaking Away scene).

Wow! You are not kidding.

PQJ
05-23-2014, 11:08 AM
That's cool. It sure helps to be able to use the whole road. I'm sure it's an awesome experience!

Bud_E
05-24-2014, 02:53 PM
I've been down and up that road (Westlake) several times. I'll admit To being wimpy and tending to ride the brake - Some of those turns are pretty tight and steep. Having both lanes probably wouldn't make much difference in my case.

William
05-24-2014, 03:16 PM
After watching that all I can say is.....

YEEEE HAAWWWWWW!!!

I've always loved blasting descents. If you are real comfortable and confident in your descending skills it's a good way to open a big gap on many other riders in the field.

William