PDA

View Full Version : Why I don't ride in Alabama

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 10:45 AM
Not sure if anybody has already posted this . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=MF3HNNbQuPU&app=desktop

Just more proof you never know exactly who might be in that car coming up behind you.

BBD

bobswire
05-22-2014, 10:54 AM
Lots of folks are like him, he was not being impeded at all but the sight of seeing a cyclist on the road gets his blood boiling.

Rada
05-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Wow. I'd hate to be that angry all the time.

azrider
05-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Saw this and shared it with as many people as i could. Deeply saddens me that people with this kind of mental capacity exist. Finds it convenient to justify his actions on being delayed for work but I counted a total of 5 seconds that he might have been held up. In the end nothing will happen and he'll just continue to be a menace. POS.

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 10:58 AM
He apologized. I wonder about the sincerity of it.

holliscx
05-22-2014, 11:06 AM
Where's his apology?

I bet the only thing Mr. Maddox loves more than cyclists is to be on the receiving end of a masturbation gesture directed towards his truck. : )

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 11:08 AM
Go to the Facebook page where his videos are.

malcolm
05-22-2014, 11:10 AM
My great state. I've almost completely quit riding the road bike, not really because of that, but I just enjoy the peacefulness of the mtn bike and the roads in Alabama are just not suited for road bikes, no shoulder in most places and lots of traffic unless you really go out to the middle of nowhere. I do realize and support the fact that you have the right to be there on a bike but with no shoulder and humans driving cars for me it isn't worth the risk, dead is dead no matter who is at fault.

R2D2
05-22-2014, 11:13 AM
He apologized. I wonder about the sincerity of it.

His address/number/ facebook page were exposed.
So I'm sure he's getting some "nice" messages.

More like damage control than sincerity.

Idiot.....

redir
05-22-2014, 11:13 AM
I would have sworn it was joke at first. I mean he did give the cyclists a lot of room at least.

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 11:19 AM
. . . at first.

And these days you feel particularly helpless because almost anybody can have a gun on them.

BBD

chiasticon
05-22-2014, 11:22 AM
i just don't understand why he's so angry and hateful. it's not even like he's being affected by the cyclists; he's just mad that they're there. he mentioned "folks tryin' getta work!" but in the three clips here there's a total of three other cars shown. and none of them appear to be impeded by the cyclists. he himself was slowed down maybe five seconds combined in all three clips. i wait longer than that to pull out of my driveway in the morning.

this feller could never live in the city.

holliscx
05-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Pro tip: wear this

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/bicyclinghub/alabama-cycling-jersey-22.jpg

nooneline
05-22-2014, 11:31 AM
"Cuss! Cuss!"

Gsinill
05-22-2014, 11:35 AM
Don't ride in Alabama?

Watching this nut job, I wouldn't limit it to that...
I guarantee this wacko has at least one legally owned gun in his car.
Ticking time bomb IMHO.

Lanterne Rouge
05-22-2014, 11:38 AM
Some people just want to be angry and he's one of those guys. If it wasn't cyclists it would be some sort of gosh darnit critter or foreign policy or something equally as benign.

holliscx
05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
I scrolled his FB timeline and saw one video but didn't see an apology. Would love to read it.

MattTuck
05-22-2014, 11:44 AM
. . . at first.

And these days you feel particularly helpless because almost anybody can have a gun on them.

BBD

You could get an NRA cycling jersey to send a message. There is a pretty big body of psychological literature around 'in group bias', and the idea that humans are able to treat those not in the 'in group' very poorly, view and treat them as less than humans, in fact.

rwsaunders
05-22-2014, 12:04 PM
I kid you not, when we designed our MS150 jerseys a few years ago, we had a good sized American flag printed on the left, rear of the jersey so that motorists could see it. Our rationale was that some people wouldn't mind hitting a cyclist, but that same element would most likely not deface a flag. The 'Bama jersey is along the same line of thinking.

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 12:06 PM
. . . at the MS rides I want to some years ago said he wore nothing but patriotic themed jerseys with highly visible stars, stripes, flags, eagles, etc., after he realized how much more room people gave him when he wore them.

BBD

FlashUNC
05-22-2014, 12:07 PM
BBD, I thought you didn't ride in Alabama because you live in the Empire State.

TBDSeattle
05-22-2014, 12:12 PM
My great state. I've almost completely quit riding the road bike, not really because of that, but I just enjoy the peacefulness of the mtn bike and the roads in Alabama are just not suited for road bikes, no shoulder in most places and lots of traffic unless you really go out to the middle of nowhere. I do realize and support the fact that you have the right to be there on a bike but with no shoulder and humans driving cars for me it isn't worth the risk, dead is dead no matter who is at fault.

When I was 19 I rode across the country on my bike with a buddy. Miami to Seattle. Alabama was the second state we rode through. I sure learned a lot about the country, and I sure learned a lot about the southeast.

Alabama was the only state where I was actually hit by a car (just a side mirror, and I was fine). It was also the only state where a cop demanded my license, and read it to dispatch for a check. I do not know what he was checking for.

It was also the only state where a cop pulled over, chatted with me and my friend, then radioed ahead to the next two counties to let the cops know we were coming, and to look out for us on the road and make sure we were safe.

It is a hell of a country, this USA.

bikenow
05-22-2014, 12:21 PM
You would think this guy is angry at a lot of things, cyclists are probably the tip of the iceberg

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 12:21 PM
BBD, I thought you didn't ride in Alabama because you live in the Empire State.

. . . with facts! :rolleyes:

BBD

Ahneida Ride
05-22-2014, 12:29 PM
beyond belief ,,,

thwart
05-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Alabama was the only state where I was actually hit by a car (just a side mirror, and I was fine). It was also the only state where a cop demanded my license, and read it to dispatch for a check. I do not know what he was checking for.

It was also the only state where a cop pulled over, chatted with me and my friend, then radioed ahead to the next two counties to let the cops know we were coming, and to look out for us on the road and make sure we were safe.

The spectrum of human behavior, all in one state…

One just hopes the cops (or for that matter, the populace in general) in your own community are much more like the person in the second paragraph than the first.

malcolm
05-22-2014, 12:42 PM
When I was 19 I rode across the country on my bike with a buddy. Miami to Seattle. Alabama was the second state we rode through. I sure learned a lot about the country, and I sure learned a lot about the southeast.

It is a hell of a country, this USA.

I hear you. I've lived here almost 20 years and it really is not a bad place, but you will often have antiquity of thought thrust upon you.
Some of the nicest people you'll ever meet mixed with an occasional idiot that is beyond belief. There are still parts of Alabama that are incredibly rural and undereducated and I've lived my whole 55 years except during the military in the southeast. Several years ago I heard the illiteracy rate in Greene Co., Alabama was above 50%, never checked the veracity but it wouldn't surprise me.
The suburbs of Birmingham where I live is pretty insulated from that, but you'll occasionally be reminded it's only down the road.

merlinmurph
05-22-2014, 12:46 PM
To be fair, I think we're all aware that this man's, uh, philisophies, are hardly unique to Alabama.

redir
05-22-2014, 12:48 PM
I scrolled his FB timeline and saw one video but didn't see an apology. Would love to read it.

I found this:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=639954952747043&id=100001976318641&p=10&refid=52

holliscx
05-22-2014, 12:55 PM
I found this:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=639954952747043&id=100001976318641&p=10&refid=52

Can you cut/paste or screenshot?

I can't view link and have to go via my wife's FB which is a pain

If I lived in Ala I would have a helmet custom painted houndstooth

josephr
05-22-2014, 01:05 PM
born and raised here....live in Birmingham but growing up in a small town in the 80s wasn't a great place to ride...anytime I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I still get anxious when I hear a pick-up truck come up behind me with glass-packs.

still, I have to say I think my 'fear' is more of a hold-over from the past...recently rode 90 miles to family reunion in the middle of nowhere and only one 'bad driver' incident was a Mercedes CLS ripping by at 80mph. So, it wasn't the redneck this time.

There's jerks like this everywhere you go....not just Alabama though. The American flag on the back left side of a jersey is a good idea. Be a cold day in hell before I wore anything that had U of A on it though. WDE!!! :)
Joe

bcroslin
05-22-2014, 01:22 PM
We deal with these types on rides in rural Florida. Everyone I know has had an F150 buzz them at 70 mph. Just part of the fun of living in the south.

Mr. Pink
05-22-2014, 01:26 PM
I kid you not, when we designed our MS150 jerseys a few years ago, we had a good sized American flag printed on the left, rear of the jersey so that motorists could see it. Our rationale was that some people wouldn't mind hitting a cyclist, but that same element would most likely not deface a flag. The 'Bama jersey is along the same line of thinking.

Wouldn't you be better off with a confederate flag, too?

I guess even rednecks are tech savvy enough to be on facebook and post videos.

Saint Vitus
05-22-2014, 01:33 PM
Wouldn't you be better off with a confederate flag, too?

No, other people would be (rightly) offended by that one, but not likely they would run yer tail off th' road though...

malcolm
05-22-2014, 01:40 PM
born and raised here....live in Birmingham but growing up in a small town in the 80s wasn't a great place to ride...anytime I'm out in the middle of nowhere, I still get anxious when I hear a pick-up truck come up behind me with glass-packs.

still, I have to say I think my 'fear' is more of a hold-over from the past...recently rode 90 miles to family reunion in the middle of nowhere and only one 'bad driver' incident was a Mercedes CLS ripping by at 80mph. So, it wasn't the redneck this time.

There's jerks like this everywhere you go....not just Alabama though. The American flag on the back left side of a jersey is a good idea. Be a cold day in hell before I wore anything that had U of A on it though. WDE!!! :)
Joe

I've got some pretty nice low traffic loops, 22. 46 and 80 just north of Bham around Morris/Kimberly, Al.. I posted them on map my ride several years ago, you should check them out. Probably more grown up, but low traffic and lots of rolling hills some quite steep.

link to one, caveat, I posted this in 2007 and probably haven't done since 2008

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/kimberly-al/morris-long-loop-route-526073

54ny77
05-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Lord knows what would happen if Taylor Swift came on the radio AND he saw a cyclist at the same time.

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 01:48 PM
There's jerks like this everywhere you go....not just Alabama though.

I wasn't meaning to slam Alabama in particular. I think no matter where we live, if we ride a lot we've had unfortunate contact with people who you are sure are voicing this same monologue in THEIR cars.

BBD

holliscx
05-22-2014, 02:15 PM
A Dale Earnhardt 3 or a house divided Auburn / Alabama jersey; save your Attaquer kit for rollers.

Mr. Pink
05-22-2014, 02:22 PM
A Dale Earnhardt 3 or a house divided Auburn / Alabama jersey; save your Attaquer kit for rollers.

There may be a market for a faux denim overall look in a kit down there.

vqdriver
05-22-2014, 02:24 PM
unless you're here

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/419yPqivSVL._SY300_.jpg

Pro tip: wear this

http://ep.yimg.com/ay/bicyclinghub/alabama-cycling-jersey-22.jpg

Anarchist
05-22-2014, 02:32 PM
I found this:

Grammar and spelling are not his strong points.

beeatnik
05-22-2014, 02:33 PM
A lot of Tide fans in LA...

malcolm
05-22-2014, 02:34 PM
Grammar and spelling are not his strong points.

Thinking is probably not his strong suit.

gaucho753
05-22-2014, 02:53 PM
I found this:

Sure, I'll "except" his apology. :rolleyes:

timto
05-22-2014, 03:02 PM
I do realize and support the fact that you have the right to be there on a bike but with no shoulder and humans driving cars for me it isn't worth the risk, dead is dead no matter who is at fault.

I've been thinking about this more and more as my kids get older.... thanks for summing up why I've lost some motivation of late.

I've been doing shorter safer rides that are still rewarding for me. Less inclined to spend 10 hours on the roads anymore...

holliscx
05-22-2014, 03:04 PM
could someone cut/paste the apology please?

i think that's a mobile link and i'm not able to access?

gaucho753
05-22-2014, 03:07 PM
^^^

I found this:

Here's the text of the apology, but a lot of the reply comments are from people who didn't feel an aopolgy was needed:

Keith Maddox
I want to publicly apologize to all people that I have offended over those absolute stupid videos that I posted ...anybody who knows me knows that I would never ever intensionally hurt anyone...those were in very bad taste and I especially want to apologize to the northeast Alabama bicycle association...I am truly sorry for Anyone I may have offended....and please everyone share the road and be very aware of bicycle riders everywhere..and again I am truly sorry for my extremely bad judgement...please except my apology thanks....

joosttx
05-22-2014, 03:11 PM
http://youtu.be/foGHh14uvKk

UGA agrees about the people in Alabama.

sailorboy
05-22-2014, 03:26 PM
I'm still in the early stages of 'data collection' on it, but my recent switch from a local cycling club/team over to the official US military cycling/tri team and the corresponding patriotic looking kit we have seems to have cut down somewhat on the close passing, engine revving and shouting obscenities that I occasionally experience.

I'll post a photo of the jersey sometime. Any God-fearing, flag-waving good-ole-boy would likely think twice before taking me out wearing it. Sad that it comes to that, but I'll take a wide berth any way I can get it.

I guess it's hard to produce a jersey showing my 20 years of active service and one year spent in AFG as a combat advisor, but that might give the Keith Maddox's of the world a little something to think about.

I might even sell my 'queer' rapha stuff so I can afford to roll in the US mil kit every ride.

fiataccompli
05-22-2014, 03:33 PM
One more reason I believe a national effort (or at least one in each state, for you states' rights kinda folks) should be made to get more police officers out & involved with real road riding. I feel certain the experiences on the road would lead to an evolution of attitude with regard to enforcement of a lot of the pretty decent laws already in place addressing cycling safety, road rage, assault with a deadly weapon & that sort of stuff.

I'm just glad he was very safely driving his truck and making a video at the same time. Good thing he's not doing something that could be dangerous or prevent someone else from getting to work on time, eh?

redir
05-22-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm still in the early stages of 'data collection' on it, but my recent switch from a local cycling club/team over to the official US military cycling/tri team and the corresponding patriotic looking kit we have seems to have cut down somewhat on the close passing, engine revving and shouting obscenities that I occasionally experience.

I'll post a photo of the jersey sometime. Any God-fearing, flag-waving good-ole-boy would likely think twice before taking me out wearing it. Sad that it comes to that, but I'll take a wide berth any way I can get it.

I guess it's hard to produce a jersey showing my 20 years of active service and one year spent in AFG as a combat advisor, but that might give the Keith Maddox's of the world a little something to think about.

I might even sell my 'queer' rapha stuff so I can afford to roll in the US mil kit every ride.

Yeah but you have anarchist nuts like the Cliven Bundy wanna-bee soldiers to contend with now. I think a Bush Beer jersey might go over better :)

cfox
05-22-2014, 03:37 PM
That video was effing hilarious. I wish he'd make more. He was all bluster; he gave every cyclist 10 feet whether he was gunning the gas or not. Any day I'd take crazy 'ol coots giving me 10 feet and calling me names vs. soccer moms in escalades.

redir
05-22-2014, 03:44 PM
I was thinking it was a joke too but not sure why he would not have mentioned that in his apology unless that is a continuation of the joke ;)

sngk
05-22-2014, 03:52 PM
That video was effing hilarious. I wish he'd make more. He was all bluster; he gave every cyclist 10 feet whether he was gunning the gas or not. Any day I'd take crazy 'ol coots giving me 10 feet and calling me names vs. soccer moms in escalades.

+1. Would take this over a distracted driver any day.

CunegoFan
05-22-2014, 03:57 PM

This should cut down on being buzzed.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n8IE11CsWoU/T2C9NyORqhI/AAAAAAAAZm8/FhPUojWCPS0/s1600/machine+gun.jpeg

93legendti
05-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Trust me, this is much better:

http://tar21.com/iwi-tavor-tar21-rifle-idf-military-assault-rifles/x95-micro-tavor-compact-rifle-of-the-idf/

...balance across the back is perfect.

BumbleBeeDave
05-22-2014, 04:29 PM
. . . there will be a conveniently close local waterway near the home of whoever gives you a hard time and you can introduce them to your little friend. :)

BBD

Scooper
05-22-2014, 04:32 PM

Is this it?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/USMilitaryCycling_zps8bc12e82.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/elite_cycling_teammed_zps620aede8.jpg

redir
05-22-2014, 04:54 PM
Trust me, this is much better:

http://tar21.com/iwi-tavor-tar21-rifle-idf-military-assault-rifles/x95-micro-tavor-compact-rifle-of-the-idf/

...balance across the back is perfect.

Cute little bullpup.

Lovetoclimb
05-22-2014, 06:31 PM
I actually had people throw things, most often soda bottles or big gulps, out of their cars (usually trucks) at me when I was living and riding in and around Huntsville AL. Worst year of biking in my life, despite there being some gorgeous countryside and small mountains in the area.

joosttx
05-22-2014, 06:34 PM
I actually had people throw things, most often soda bottles or big gulps, out of their cars (usually trucks) at me when I was living and riding in and around Huntsville AL. Worst year of biking in my life, despite there being some gorgeous countryside and small mountains in the area.

I had two girls flash me in Georgia once while riding. With that said my experiences riding in the south have been quite pleasant not considering the humidity.

sailorboy
05-22-2014, 07:08 PM
Is this it?

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/USMilitaryCycling_zps8bc12e82.jpg

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d7/k4drd/Bicycles/elite_cycling_teammed_zps620aede8.jpg

Yup, that's us. The folks in the photo are actually the elite division--racing cat 1 and such, but we all wear the same stuff. I traveled with a few of the folks in that picture last year to the world championships as their medical officer. Good times, and I witnessed why racing in Belgium looks ridiculously hard.

sailorboy
05-22-2014, 07:09 PM
[QUOTE=CunegoFan;1553172]This should cut down on being buzzed.

hilarious and unsettling all at the same time...

FastforaSlowGuy
05-22-2014, 07:22 PM

Yeah, but this has happened to me on the South Coast of MA. And from a Range Rover, not a pick-up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

93legendti
05-22-2014, 07:44 PM
I was riding with several people on the way back from Ann Arbor and someone threw a large, empty glass bottle at us. Thank G-d it missed us. These things can happen anywhere.

CunegoFan
05-22-2014, 08:20 PM
[QUOTE=CunegoFan;1553172]This should cut down on being buzzed.

hilarious and unsettling all at the same time...

Going by the riders's bibs, that pic was probably taken in Colorado. Excel Sports bibs.

chiasticon
05-22-2014, 09:19 PM
didn't see this mentioned, so apologies if repost. but this jackass was arrested for this: http://www.annistonstar.com/news/article_752b90ae-e203-11e3-beed-001a4bcf887a.html

bcroslin
05-22-2014, 09:27 PM
And after posting in this thread earlier today we had a redneck in a big diesel truck buzz us while dumping diesel exhaust all over the group on this afternoon's ride.

I hate the south.

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 09:37 PM
Around here we have the modified pickup trucks with the coal roller kits. They love to test them out on us.

fiataccompli
05-22-2014, 09:37 PM
People get chips for diesels to do that...sad.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

azrider
05-22-2014, 11:39 PM
Guess they arrested this turd.....good on local Sheriff

http://www.annistonstar.com/news/article_752b90ae-e203-11e3-beed-001a4bcf887a.html#.U36LHz4QnsM.facebook

jtakeda
05-23-2014, 12:10 AM
This video is absurd. I actually thought it was a joke at first.

I'm happy to say that Smart cars are the only thing I have to worry about on the road.

Fortunately for me if I get hit by one, the car will likely be totaled and the driver would probably sustain injuries similar to mine.

http://node1.ecogeek-cdn.net/ecogeek/images/stories/electric_smart_car.jpg

joosttx
05-23-2014, 01:03 AM
Guess they arrested this turd.....good on local Sheriff

http://www.annistonstar.com/news/article_752b90ae-e203-11e3-beed-001a4bcf887a.html#.U36LHz4QnsM.facebook

That's beyond awesome. What a knuckle head.

holliscx
05-23-2014, 01:35 AM
I think he got some help with the apology which doesn't read like something he wrote judging from the videos and the few minutes I spent scrolling his FB timeline.

malcolm
05-23-2014, 08:45 AM

That's one of the biggest frustrations in Alabama. North and central Alabama are beautiful with rolling hills and lots of short steep climbs on very nice smooth two lane blacktop, but there is zero shoulder and more traffic than you would expect given how rural it is. Huntsville is a nice town in a pretty area but not road bike friendly at all. Mountain biking on the other hand is wide open and awesome.

malcolm
05-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Just realized this guy is from Piedmont, Al. Piedmont is a little town that has a welcome center on the Chief Ladiga trail where you can rest, get water, etc., it's a rails to trails paved path that goes from Anniston, Al. to Atlanta, Ga. right around 100 miles one way. I'm betting he hasn't signed the guest book.

bcroslin
05-23-2014, 09:18 AM
That's one of the biggest frustrations in Alabama. North and central Alabama are beautiful with rolling hills and lots of short steep climbs on very nice smooth two lane blacktop, but there is zero shoulder and more traffic than you would expect given how rural it is. Huntsville is a nice town in a pretty area but not road bike friendly at all. Mountain biking on the other hand is wide open and awesome.

The crazy thing about Huntsville is that there is a huge population of educated and fitness savvy people living there. It's a technology hub and the closest thing the south has to a little silicon valley. NASA is there as well as a handful of defense contractors. Huntsville is beautiful and raises the collective IQ of the state at least 30 points.

oldpotatoe
05-23-2014, 09:27 AM

I had a guy throw a half eaten Whopper at me up by Longmont, CO.

From a truck...and I was really hungry...if I Could have caught it, I would have eaten it. Remember the video from Dirk Freil(?), some guy following honking his horn. Always 5% everywhere.

Lived in Pensacola also....over to Mobile like a different planet....early 70s.

redir
05-23-2014, 09:49 AM
Yeah I don't think geography has much to do with it. There are plenty of red necks in Maine too they just talk differently.

Ahneida Ride
05-23-2014, 10:22 AM
I had a guy throw a half eaten Whopper at me up by Longmont, CO.

From a truck...and I was really hungry...

I had a half eaten large Pizza thrown at me right in front of the Serotta Factory.
The noise it made when it hit the ground was terrifying,

Aaron O
05-23-2014, 11:45 AM
Didn't I see this guy's dad in Easy Rider?

R2D2
05-23-2014, 11:52 AM
Didn't I see this guy's dad in Easy Rider?

No.
That was Mississippi.

mcteague
05-23-2014, 11:57 AM
Many years ago a couple of kids pulled along side of me, pointed a gun and fired. They were shocked that I did not flinch but only because I did not really see it in his hand. Turned out to be a blank or loud cap gun.

Generally, when a vehicle passes way too close it is big pickup. This is in Northern Baltimore county.

Tim

GregL
05-23-2014, 12:11 PM
Happily, there are some positive stories too. Here in CNY, I haven't had a deliberate bad experience with a motorist in several years. The only instances that were even "moderately close" calls did not appear deliberate, just ignorant. Even in a very rural, economically weak area, most drivers are reasonably courteous. And in today's local paper:

http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2014/05/new_city_webpage_devoted_to_biking_in_syracuse.htm l#incart_river_default

I try to ride as an ambassador for all cyclists: waves, smiles, thumbs-up, and "thank yous" to motorists who follow the law and yield the right of way when appropriate. Reinforce the positive behavior. And don't ride like a scofflaw!

- Greg

Aaron O
05-23-2014, 12:14 PM
No.
That was Mississippi.

Same thing to us north Easters ;)

R2D2
05-23-2014, 01:21 PM
Same thing to us north Easters ;)

Hey my wife is from Philly!
Love me some sweet Lebanon bologna and Taylor pork roll.

Climb01742
05-23-2014, 01:25 PM
Generally, when a vehicle passes way too close it is big pickup.

That's been my experience too. Wonder why? It's as true in New England as anywhere.

Mr. Pink
05-23-2014, 01:47 PM
Well, what can you say about these guys who buy these monster pickups. Sorry about those feelings of inadequacy, you know? Used to work in a large plant in upstate NY, and the parking lot was full of them. It's not as though any of them needed them for work, which is what they're made for. One guy tied to justify his by telling me that he picked up his and his relative's wood with it (this is the same guy who sat at a computer for eight hours next to me). I know he didn't live on a farm. So, of course, I asked him, doesn't your wood guy deliver? Subject drifted to the Yankees..........

redir
05-23-2014, 01:51 PM
Well, what can you say about these guys who buy these monster pickups. Sorry about those feelings of inadequacy, you know? Used to work in a large plant in upstate NY, and the parking lot was full of them. It's not as though any of them needed them for work, which is what they're made for. One guy tied to justify his by telling me that he picked up his and his relative's wood with it (this is the same guy who sat at a computer for eight hours next to me). I know he didn't live on a farm. So, of course, I asked him, doesn't your wood guy deliver? Subject drifted to the Yankees..........

And how many times have you had to justify shaving your legs? :p

Lots of people have oddball hobbies.

Mr. Pink
05-23-2014, 02:17 PM
I do not shave my legs. evah.

I could see owning a pickup if I was into MTB, that's about it. Put the muddy thing back there, hose it down. I never understood why America loves to drive them. Why?

93legendti
05-23-2014, 02:20 PM
Is not the car, it's the driver.:rolleyes:

alessandro
05-23-2014, 02:27 PM
That's been my experience too. Wonder why? It's as true in New England as anywhere.

In general motorists in Vermont seem to be patient and courteous, but there's always people who are not, whether it's car-car or car-bike. My unscientific observation is that when I'm out riding, and I hear an engine accelerating to pass (rather than slowing to wait and pass), and the passer forces the car in the oncoming lane onto the shoulder, it's usually a pickup truck. A black one.

Other than that, have a nice day.

Cornfed
05-23-2014, 02:54 PM
didn't see this mentioned, so apologies if repost. but this jackass was arrested for this: http://www.annistonstar.com/news/article_752b90ae-e203-11e3-beed-001a4bcf887a.html

Suggested punishment: Take away his license and truck for a year. Hand him a bike and tell him, "Here's your commute vehicle. Hope you don't run into any selfish a**holes like yourself out there."

FastforaSlowGuy
05-23-2014, 03:29 PM
In general motorists in Vermont seem to be patient and courteous, but there's always people who are not, whether it's car-car or car-bike. My unscientific observation is that when I'm out riding, and I hear an engine accelerating to pass (rather than slowing to wait and pass), and the passer forces the car in the oncoming lane onto the shoulder, it's usually a pickup truck. A black one.

Other than that, have a nice day.

I'm not sure I see a real pattern, but I worry more about minivan-driving soccer moms than I do aggressive a$$holes. But my funniest memory came when a guy in a Porsche Boxter buzzed my wife. She called him a jerk, which he heard (top was down. He actually circled back to tell her that he wasn't about to move over and risk crossing the center line into traffic. She stopped her bike, very politely pointed out that he was the only car within eyesight, and said that he should be ashamed for risking her life like that. His wife turned to him and said: "she's right, you owe her an apology." It was just awesome.

TimAZ
05-23-2014, 04:32 PM
It must suck to be grumpy and fat.

Tandem Rider
05-23-2014, 04:55 PM
I have only been hit by a motor vehicle twice. First time was in the 70's by an oncoming Ford LTD turning left into me. Second time was last year, from behind, new Nissan 4 door car. It was intentional, hit and run. Neither one was a TTI, Trophy Truck of Inadequacy, those fellas are afraid of getting it scratched.

About 35 years and about 300k miles between incidents. Not bad odds.

Dired
05-23-2014, 05:25 PM
injecting a little levity - bikesnob picked up on this story:

http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/2014/05/bsnyc-pre-long-weekend-friday-fun-quiz.html

Louis
05-23-2014, 05:26 PM
But my funniest memory came when a guy in a Porsche Boxter buzzed my wife. She called him a jerk, which he heard (top was down. He actually circled back to tell her that he wasn't about to move over and risk crossing the center line into traffic. She stopped her bike, very politely pointed out that he was the only car within eyesight, and said that he should be ashamed for risking her life like that.

She might also have inquired about whether or not that particular model came with a brake pedal.

Both this and the idiot in the video are examples of drivers just not being able to see the cyclist as a fellow human being. For some reason we are "other" and so they just don't care, and sometimes they even hate us.

SpokeValley
05-23-2014, 05:26 PM
Suggested punishment: Take away his license and truck for a year. Hand him a bike and tell him, "Here's your commute vehicle. Hope you don't run into any selfish a**holes like yourself out there."

Man, is THAT a great idea.

josephr
05-24-2014, 06:42 PM
I've got some pretty nice low traffic loops, 22. 46 and 80 just north of Bham around Morris/Kimberly, Al.. I posted them on map my ride several years ago, you should check them out. Probably more grown up, but low traffic and lots of rolling hills some quite steep.

link to one, caveat, I posted this in 2007 and probably haven't done since 2008

http://www.mapmyride.com/us/kimberly-al/morris-long-loop-route-526073

The Kimberly Fire Department is the one that was flattened by a tornado a few weeks ago. I've only seen pictures but looks like they took a nasty hit. Thanks for the route! Always looking for new rides/courses/adventures!
Joe

soulspinner
05-25-2014, 05:54 AM
This should cut down on being buzzed.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n8IE11CsWoU/T2C9NyORqhI/AAAAAAAAZm8/FhPUojWCPS0/s1600/machine+gun.jpeg

Reminds me of Cipollini playing secret agent flying down a mountain on his bike:eek:

djg21
05-28-2014, 10:49 PM
Not sure if anybody has already posted this . . .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=MF3HNNbQuPU&app=desktop

Just more proof you never know exactly who might be in that car coming up behind you.

BBD

http://cyclistsinternational.com/god-i-hate-bicycles/

rePhil
06-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Update:

http://m.annistonstar.com/news/article_92393230-f63c-11e3-a6a1-001a4bcf887a.html?mode=jqm

ntb1001
06-17-2014, 07:30 PM
That video kinda seems like something Mayor Rob Ford would do in his Escalade....but he's in rehab tight now...

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

sidextwo
06-18-2014, 09:22 AM
To people like this riding a bike is either something for kids or something he has to do when he gets another DUI. He basically sees a little league game in the road on his way to work.

In 12 years of biking in a city (Boston) I've seen way more passive ignorance (texting, eating etc) than outright hatred of bikers... good to see the two can be combined!

bcroslin
06-18-2014, 09:37 AM
Deleted

fiataccompli
06-18-2014, 09:40 AM
Two words: budget and priorities.

fiataccompli
06-18-2014, 09:44 AM
What I mean (in part) is that it's rather unlikely that anyone in the law enforcement community will be privy to career advancement or increases in funding due to efficient apprehension of anger management/cyclist assault cases....as, for instance, compared to armed robbers, shooters, stabbers and whatnot.