PDA

View Full Version : Drafting with strangers

VanBikeGuy
05-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Hey Guy's,

I live in cycling mad Vancouver (where the mayor is putting in new bike lanes every year) and I've noticed a lot of new, inexperienced riders out that don't know cycling rules of the road.

Do to my work / family schedule, I generally ride by myself these days and last night while riding home some stranger that I passed up a hill decides to catch up to me and draft behind me (within 1 - 2 feet) during a long declining stretch. I must say it really bothers me when this happens as his bike was significantly older, not well maintained and if I had to brake suddenly he would surely have rammed into me.

If I'm riding in a group, I'm all for pacelines and drafting (and have agreed to in advance of the ride), but what is the etiquette on this on the open road? He knew I wasn't too happy about it, but basically gave me a blank stare like I should be accommodating or something.

brando
05-21-2014, 02:51 PM
IMHO it's by permission only. And if I don't know you, probably not getting it.

kramnnim
05-21-2014, 03:01 PM
How do you get rid of them?

45K10
05-21-2014, 03:07 PM
I moved from Vancouver a few months back and yes there are some wheelsuckers out there, especially on Marine Drive close to UBC.

Some people would ask if they could sit in and some wouldn't but hey you live in one of the best cities in the world (IMO) don't sweat it and enjoy the place.

PS: Get a MTB, it is way better than the road riding in Vancouver, again just my opinion.

biker72
05-21-2014, 03:14 PM

Stop for a few seconds. Works every time....:)

Tony
05-21-2014, 03:15 PM

One person I know blows his noise until the drafter drops off.

I was one of those who didn't know any better and would jump on anyone that passed me. One of the guys I now ride with was one of those riders who dropped back and checked me, "you need to let me know bro your back there"

I now have riders draft me a lot, some of the time I don't mind. Sometimes I'll make a game of it, see if I have the power to drop them, If I can't I'll make them take their turn and then I'll try again, repeat.....

malbecman
05-21-2014, 03:16 PM
Unless I'm in a hurry, I usually just sorta abruptly sit up, check my nails, play w/ my computer, look at them, etc. and see if they get the message.

MattTuck
05-21-2014, 03:20 PM
Word. Just sit up and start having a conversation with them. That or, wait until there's a big pothole, and swerve to avoid it at the last second.

ceolwulf
05-21-2014, 03:24 PM
See how many you can collect, get a rotation going, impromptu team time trial

Bradford
05-21-2014, 03:25 PM
I ride my ride and don't worry about anybody behind me.

If they want to sit in, it doesn't change my ride. On the bike path I ride too and from work, it really can't be avoided on nice days because two-way traffic keeps passing opportunities down. Sometimes I have to sit it until its safe to pass, sometimes I have people sitting in on me. No biggie either way.

Lanterne Rouge
05-21-2014, 03:29 PM
That makes me so angry. It's like getting on a crowded subway car and sitting on someones lap because you don't want to stand. It's very bad form to draft someone you don't know.

rePhil
05-21-2014, 03:31 PM
A bit different but....I have been passed by small group rides where I have been invited to "jump on" by one or more riders. It's usually preceded by my slowing and looking over my shoulder and making eye contact.
If I don't know anyone and / or there is no invite I let them go.

FlashUNC
05-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Sit up.

BumbleBeeDave
05-21-2014, 03:35 PM
. . . without letting them know I'm behind them. Even then, I only do it for a short time, then come up along side to say hello.

If somebody's doing it to me I say something to them. If they're novice and don't know and want to learn, then cool. If they give me attitude then I just slow down and let them pass. Life's too short to worry about these asshats.

BBD

makoti
05-21-2014, 03:44 PM
I know it's petty, but I can't stand it when people just come up behind, sit there, and don't say a word. Say hi. Ask to sit in. "I'm behind you". Anything. And I'm good with it. Happy to pull. Was doing it anyway.
Silence? I'm slowing down right away.

blessthismess
05-21-2014, 04:48 PM
I do most of my riding solo and it seriously drives me crazy when I look over my shoulder and some random dude is tucked right behinde me. In order to loose my tail I start by giving a couple quick funny looks over my shoulder, if that doesn't work I will pull to the right slightly and bike erratically or slow down/sit up. If I am riding in the city I will usually jump quickly to the left and start sprinting and splitting lanes ( fyi it's legal here in CA ) That one almost always works :D

Tony
05-21-2014, 04:48 PM
I know it's petty, but I can't stand it when people just come up behind, sit there, and don't say a word. Say hi. Ask to sit in. "I'm behind you". Anything. And I'm good with it. Happy to pull. Was doing it anyway.
Silence? I'm slowing down right away.

Yes, the silent ones that stay on for a long time.

Thinking more about this, mostly I really don't mind.

Tony T
05-21-2014, 04:53 PM
As long as they're at least 2 feet back, I don't mind.
I hate it more when they pass me, then immediately slow down!

gavingould
05-21-2014, 05:15 PM
it's bad form and it's dangerous.

i wouldn't draft someone without at least saying "hey, mind if i sit on a bit" and get their OK. i'd damn well watch them to make sure they weren't riding erratically before getting near.

definitely would not want an unknown rider plowing into the back of me or half-wheeling when i need to go around something. if looking back doesn't give them the idea, either rip their legs off or sit up. brake checking a potentially inexperienced rider is even more likely to cause a wreck.

Joel
05-21-2014, 05:27 PM
A little polite conversation - as in any social situation.

What gets my goat is the random 'bonehead' who has on headphones isn't holding a line and gets on my wheel - especially since most days I'm on a fixed gear.

That's the danger signal.

I'll sit up, holler good morning back etc. Anything to make sure they don't smash into the back of me or overlap a wheel.

If the person is reasonably nice and can ride straight I'll tow them all day. I don't care. Otherwise, not so much...

Javaman
05-21-2014, 05:40 PM
I would not do it myself. The closest I trail a stanger it 5-10 feet. Is that drafting? :rolleyes: Now on the other side of things; I don't mind stranger drafting me. Most of the time they end up passing me anyway cause I am riding real slow :)

umami
05-21-2014, 05:43 PM
I found myself on the other side of this recently. Hit a pace that happened to match a group of riders in front of me, on a busy trail with few opportunities to pass. I could have cranked it up and passed, but I would have really had to push it. Easier just to hang there. I made a point of leaving a bike's length between me and the guy in front of me, to make it clear that I wasn't drafting. I noticed that he would occasionally look back and started giving me hand signals, which was a nice gesture--but could have meant he felt like I was drafting and didn't want to get rear-ended.

Had the situation been reversed, I wouldn't have minded. A respectful space implies no draft, just two people riding at the same speed. Contrast that with the guy who pulled up behind me on the same trail the other day, inches from my wheel. I hit the brakes hard coming into a crowded area and he nearly plowed into the back of me with a shout, finally whipping around and dodging pedestrians as he blew through the crowd. I wanted to chase him down, but he obviously didn't realize or care what he was doing. Asshats abound.

The real cake-taker was the guy who rear-ended me at a stoplight, about 20 seconds after I had stopped. He was duly embarrassed, but offered no explanation. Hit me not quite hard enough to knock me off my bike, but it was a healthy smack. Fortunately no harm done. :rolleyes:

TimAZ
05-21-2014, 06:06 PM
I don't mind so much if somebody jumps on to my wheel, but only if they let me know they are there, and ask if its cool to sit in. Although, if they do know what they are doing. Judging by kit, bike, etc... and it's windy I do expect them to take equal turns on the front, and to point out road hazzards while doing so, if they do not. I will sit up while they are on the front, or I try and drop them. It's a give and take. I'm not looking to tow somebody back to town, but I have when they are totally cracked. We have all been there before.

Exonerv
05-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Ha...in your case you could just ride off and leave us :)

aramis
05-21-2014, 06:13 PM
I know I am just encouraging bad behavior, but when I get an unwanted drafter, I just drop them.

Shortsocks
05-21-2014, 06:22 PM
You know, this has happened to me more often than I thought...

I'll be out riding generally around white rock lake, I live 10 feet from a 11 mile round lake, and I'll go for a 20 mile lunch spin. There are a few 5 mile stretches where I like to let my legs open up. And I'll be in my riding zone loving life...and then I'll look behind me and there are half a dozen people huffing and puffing on my wheel!! They don't even say anything!

So I push up the speed and then I HAVE to drop them. I end up feeling like a dick. Maybe it's diesel guilt or something? BUT you have to say something if you're going to suck someone's wheels.

For me it's a very personal thing to let draft with someone. To actually know someone enough where you trust them enough to stare at their ass and just RIDE!

VanBikeGuy
05-21-2014, 06:24 PM
I agree that the silence aspect bothers me the most.

To me that's very dangerous as a lot of times, I don't know they are there. I might actually invest in a good handlebar plug mirror.

A little courtesy seems to be missing in Vancouver these days with everyone biking more.

rain dogs
05-21-2014, 07:05 PM
+1

It's brutal for wheelsucking in Vancouver.

Normally I just change my line or cross a lane, but a while ago I literally had a guy tail me from one side of (the one-way, two-lane) road around Stanley Park to the other and back and forth. It was absurd.

I finally said to him, "you came out for a workout didn't you? So, leave me alone and do some work cause I'm not your XXXing donkey"

Without starting a polemica, I swear it's worse since Strava came on the scene... I rarely go to the Park anymore.

Also, It always seems to happen when you're doing a low heartrate ride as well (zone 1,2), which is super annoying, cause then you're JRA and don't want to up the pace or stop. It's like horseflies.

Sorry, rant over... but that behavior really burns me up. It's not the TdF.

Shortsocks
05-21-2014, 07:10 PM
I finally said to him, "you came out for a workout didn't you? So, leave me alone and do some work cause I'm not your XXXing donkey"

Not to be a prick but I'm totally going to use this, and take full credit for it. I love it!! Very very well said.

I am going to be a "Saying Flipper". :banana:

CiclistiCliff
05-21-2014, 07:31 PM
Unless I'm in a hurry, I usually just sorta abruptly sit up, check my nails, play w/ my computer, look at them, etc. and see if they get the message.

yep

lhuerta
05-21-2014, 08:42 PM
Oh not another one of these threads...???

Really....the only "etiquette" is RIDE! You should be concerned about what is in FRONT of you, not what is behind you. If there is someone drafting me then I simply let THEM know that I am aware of it...sometimes looking over my shoulder and smiling/nodding, sometimes a flick of the arm letting them know its their turn, pointing out hazards, or simply saying good morning and INVITING them along for the ride. If I see them crossing wheels then I will let them know to chill a bit, and teach them how its done. I don't brake, I don't spit or blow snot on them (really?... classy folks), I don't stop to let them pass, and I certainly don't flex my ego and try and drop them. Its all about communication with your fellow cyclists and its all about enjoying the roads with others. I am no more entitled to a piece of the road then another, so if we are there at the same time then its about sharing the experience together. This is how I was brought up by those who showed me the ropes over 35 years ago when I first started cycling, and this is the way I will continue to engage those I encounter out on the road.

As I have said before on similar posts, if you are concerned about fellow cyclists "creeping up" on you, then you are probably riding too slow. instead of scoffing at your fellow cyclists, why not simply engage....life is too short.

Lou

zmudshark
05-21-2014, 09:14 PM
If someone wants to draft me, I'm flattered.

Daveyk
05-21-2014, 09:23 PM
I may not know proper etiquette, but Lou ^^^ makes sense.

cbresciani
05-21-2014, 09:49 PM
I'm with zmudshark on this one. As long as they don't try to ride too close I'm ok with them drafting me with or without asking. Most of the time it just makes me want to ride a little harder, win-win.

pbarry
05-21-2014, 09:51 PM

Really....the only "etiquette" is RIDE! You should be concerned about what is in FRONT of you, not what is behind you. If there is someone drafting me then I simply let THEM know that I am aware of it...sometimes looking over my shoulder and smiling/nodding, sometimes a flick of the arm letting them know its their turn, pointing out hazards, or simply saying good morning and INVITING them along for the ride. If I see them crossing wheels then I will let them know to chill a bit, and teach them how its done. I don't brake, I don't spit or blow snot on them (really?... classy folks), I don't stop to let them pass, and I certainly don't flex my ego and try and drop them. Its all about communication with your fellow cyclists and its all about enjoying the roads with others. I am no more entitled to a piece of the road then another, so if we are there at the same time then its about sharing the experience together. This is how I was brought up by those who showed me the ropes over 35 years ago when I first started cycling, and this is the way I will continue to engage those I encounter out on the road.

As I have said before on similar posts, if you are concerned about fellow cyclists "creeping up" on you, then you are probably riding too slow. instead of scoffing at your fellow cyclists, why not simply engage....life is too short.

Lou

^^ Old school and gets it. :hello:

giordana93
05-21-2014, 10:06 PM

Lou
Thank you for putting into words what I was too lazy or unable to write and not wanting to rain on the "how to get rid of a wheelsucker" movement. My education was about 30 years ago, fwiw. I pretty much assume that anyone I pass might jump on, and check over my shoulder after a short while; though I do always ask permission when I do the jumping on. If someone is riding dangerously or you want to ride alone, let them know. Otherwise, build community and teach them how not to be a road wheenie.

benitosan1972
05-21-2014, 10:16 PM
Why would anyone want to draft me, cuz I fart, snot, and spit alot when I ride, lol. If you wanna sit in the jet-stream of my bodily fluids and gases, be my guest, haha!

pbarry
05-21-2014, 10:35 PM
Why would anyone want to draft me, cuz I fart, snot, and spit alot when I ride, lol. If you wanna sit in the jet-stream of my bodily fluids and gases, be my guest, haha!

People will put up with all of the above if you are faster than them. ;)

ThaRiddla
05-21-2014, 10:52 PM
1. sit up
2. ride faster

gianni
05-21-2014, 11:24 PM
I'm with Lou.

If you overtake someone it's natural that they may want to sit on--no problem. I just continue rolling and some will take a turn and some won't.

What I do find entertaining is the corporate/competitive/commuter/ type A types with their new big brand bikes who will roll up at a light and want to race. My favorite is to sit back and watch them implode and eventually crack. You can tell right away with observations of how comfortable they are... Awesome. Occasionally, there is the no muscletone person on a crappy bike who just rolls ...even better!

benitosan1972
05-21-2014, 11:26 PM
If you have some good bmx/MTB/trials skills,
You could always pull a 180, then mean mug them while riding fakie,
Then 180-out and ride away to a stunned tailgater. I've done this, haha, priceless.

Tony
05-21-2014, 11:30 PM
If you have some good bmx/MTB/trials skills,
You could always pull a 180, then mean mug them while riding fakie,
Then 180-out and ride away to a stunned tailgater. I've done this, haha, priceless.

I would love to see this.

Tandem Rider
05-22-2014, 05:35 AM
Being a "nice guy" is the best way in my opinion, we all encounter a$$hats occasionally, why be one. A little friendly small talk, coaching, or advice delivered with a smile goes down much better.

Getting hit from behind by someone overlapping a wheel won't cause you to crash.

Gummee
05-22-2014, 06:16 AM
I don't get what y'all are getting so worked up over. Ride your own ride and let them ride their own ride.

That said, if someone is on my wheel and is unannounced, I don't point out hazards as I would if I were in a group. Its not my job to ride for everyone, just me.

I've had pathletes here and in Sandy Eggo 'racing' draft me. I get a kick out of the whole 'Dood! I SO dropped that guy on the S-Works on the hill!' when I'm out on a recovery ride. That's typically after they've sucked my wheel for X miles. :rolleyes:

M

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 06:50 AM
The used to happen to me often when I commuted on the MUP. I'm on a loaded commuter bike just wanting to get home for dinner. I'd ignore them for the most part except if I heard brakes close behind me, then I'd sit up. Too dangerous. I don't commute anymore so I'm almost always on a recovery ride for these encounters. I just sit up. If they're wiling to engage in conversation, great, but too often they're not. No need to blow the plan for these Strava holes.

Tom
05-22-2014, 07:03 AM
Personally, if somebody comes up on me I'd rather chit-chat than have them get all serious about drafting and pulling. It's funny, though, if I encounter somebody I don't know turning onto the route I'm taking or I ride up on them I'll hang back if it would be work to pass and make it stick - generally I have a route and an effort level mapped out and I don't want to change it unless it's a lightning storm chasing me home or something. Don't get me wrong, I'm not all serious and working 90 percent of the time I'm out there, but if I want to loaf along that's what I want to do or if I want to drill it that's what I want to do. If I want to meet new people I'll attend a group ride.

cfox
05-22-2014, 08:51 AM
Lou nailed it. Cyclists are such a weird lot, always looking for someone or something to whine about. I've competed in a number of sports and cycling, bar none, is populated with the most unfriendly, passive aggressive people I've ever met.

Seriously, the likelihood is pretty remote that some dude is just going to ram into your back wheel. Ride your freaking bike and either engage them or ignore them. Either way, you'll be OK, I promise. Really.

tiretrax
05-22-2014, 09:00 AM
It's unavoidable during my training routes, so I put up with it or accelerate. Sometimes, I end up doing it. Sorry for the wheelsucking, Shortsox. When I'm on a century ride and they don't try to take a pull, it aggravates me to no end because they're using me to block the headwind (I'm 6'2", 200+).

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 09:27 AM
Seriously, the likelihood is pretty remote that some dude is just going to ram into your back wheel. Ride your freaking bike and either engage them or ignore them. Either way, you'll be OK, I promise. Really.

Then how come charity rides and grand fondos are sketch fests? Inexperienced riders going at the limit. I don't want one on my wheel. Next to me, no problem at all, and once I see more than their front wheel maybe we can do some work, but that situation is rare for me.

cfox
05-22-2014, 09:35 AM
Then how come charity rides and grand fondos are sketch fests? Inexperienced riders going at the limit. I don't want one on my wheel. Next to me, no problem at all, and once I see more than their front wheel maybe we can do some work, but that situation is rare for me.

Weren't we discussing riding solo and having one guy pull up behind you? That's how the thread started. Fondos and charity rides are sketch fests; hundreds or thousands of rider of greatly varying ability. But riding solo with someone behind me doesn't frighten me at all.

redir
05-22-2014, 09:47 AM
Weren't we discussing riding solo and having one guy pull up behind you? That's how the thread started. Fondos and charity rides are sketch fests; hundreds or thousands of rider of greatly varying ability. But riding solo with someone behind me doesn't frighten me at all.

Yeah but if you rode up on some one's wheel wouldn't you at least say hello? I don't think it would bother me either but I think that's odd.

As to one of your other comments, I've come across some a-holes at races before but by far and large I think cyclist are a great bunch of people and most of my friends are indeed cyclists. Maybe location has something to do with it idk?

joosttx
05-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Hey Guy's,....
.....stranger that I passed up a hill decides to catch up to me and draft behind me (within 1 - 2 feet) during a long declining stretch. I must say it really pisses me off when this happens as his bike was significantly older, not well maintained and if I had to brake suddenly he would surely have rammed into me.

Questions for the OP, How does the quality of the drafter's bike figure into your ire? If he was on a newer and nicer bike would you mind him drafting? If the drafter's bike was newer and nicer than yours how would you feel about him drafting?

To me this is the most interesting part of the post.

Tony
05-22-2014, 10:20 AM
Been cycling for a while, mostly because that's what my wife enjoys. Never rode in a pace line nor drafted anyone, just rode with her. I've only taken riding seriously this last year. I can't believe how much I love riding and the bike. This tread on drafting with strangers is interesting as I ride often and meet all flavors on the bike trail. Some don't mind, others obviously do (don't ask me how I know the person who blows his nose on drafter) Some are very competitive, as I am myself, challenge themselves and the drafter, not a flex my ego thing, but more a competitive spirit and a way of mixing it up a bit. As I said in a earlier post I was one of those wheel suckers. A year ago I would ride just waiting for a fast rider to go by and I would jump on, or try to. I was surprised by several riders who didn't care for this, so I learned to ask. Now I am one of those faster riders, want to be like the riders who made me feel welcomed, several who are now friends I ride with.

VanBikeGuy
05-22-2014, 11:19 AM
The person in question likely had a 30lb older commuter / hybrid bike that didn't look well maintained (I didn't look that hard). It wasn't about class or standing if that it was you were implying, but more to the point of good braking ability vs. not very good braking ability. If I slammed on my brakes, he would likely have hit me.

At the end of the day, I go out for a solo ride to get excerise and enjoy myself, not to risk getting taken down or hit by someone I didn't even agree to ride with.

If the drafters bike was newer, it would still bug me if they road up without evening advising they were there.

Honestly, I chat with fellow cyclists all the time on the road and sometimes agree to an impromtu draft session. If someone rides up beside me (regardless of the bike) and chats I'm usually happy to. The original post was to discuss the fact that many people in society don't seem to take into consideration other people's space anymore and don't realize how dangerous it can be.

I just think some degree of mutual acceptance should be part of the equation.

Questions for the OP, How does the quality of the drafter's bike figure into your ire? If he was on a newer and nicer bike would you mind him drafting? If the drafter's bike was newer and nicer than yours how would you feel about him drafting?

To me this is the most interesting part of the post.

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 11:25 AM
If someone rides onto my wheel on a Pinarello, I am going to dial it up to 700 watts and drope the hamer. I don't want to be anywhere near that thing when it essplodes.

VanBikeGuy
05-22-2014, 11:27 AM
Meeting new friends / riders is great and I've met lots of nice riders on the road. If there is implied consent by both side (with a nod or whaever), no issues from my side.

It's the silent guys that creap up on you that bug me where you don't know they are there. Maybe it's my lack of handling skills or fitness (which has been reduced significantly with age and work/ family commitments).

At the end of the day, I can easily sit up and they can pass, I just think I shouldn't have to. Further, being considerate to the rider by advising you're there should happen more IMHO.

Been cycling for a while, mostly because that's what my wife enjoys. Never rode in a pace line nor drafted anyone, just rode with her. I've only taken riding seriously this last year. I can't believe how much I love riding and the bike. This tread on drafting with strangers is interesting as I ride often and meet all flavors on the bike trail. Some don't mind, others obviously do (don't ask me how I know the person who blows his nose on drafter) Some are very competitive, as I am myself, challenge themselves and the drafter, not a flex my ego thing, but more a competitive spirit and a way of mixing it up a bit. As I said in a earlier post I was one of those wheel suckers. A year ago I would ride just waiting for a fast rider to go by and I would jump on, or try to. I was surprised by several riders who didn't care for this, so I learned to ask. Now I am one of those faster riders, want to be like the riders who made me feel welcomed, several who are now friends I ride with.

Tony
05-22-2014, 11:40 AM
Meeting new friends / riders is great and I've met lots of nice riders on the road. If there is implied consent by both side (with a nod or whaever), no issues from my side.

It's the silent guys that creap up on you that bug me where you don't know they are there. Maybe it's my lack of handling skills or fitness (which has been reduced significantly with age and work/ family commitments).

At the end of the day, I can easily sit up and they can pass, I just think I shouldn't have to. Further, being considerate to the rider by advising you're there should happen more IMHO.

I agree Billy, consideration, letting the rider know your there should happen more.

Admiral Ackbar
05-22-2014, 11:56 AM
wow, a lot of real salty bastards here. talk about taking something too seriously.

i don't really mind someone taking my wheel, ill either let em hang, or dispatch them. ···· slowing down so they can swerve around you then get in the way once they're in the wind though. I've had a few really fun cat6 battles started this way.

TBDSeattle
05-22-2014, 12:00 PM
wow, a lot of real salty bastards here. talk about taking something too seriously.

^^^ This!

Spring has come. It is time to stop getting wound up about silly stuff and instead ride our bikes in the sunshine.

VanBikeGuy
05-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Agreed. Let's just close the post......

professerr
05-22-2014, 12:26 PM

merlinmurph
05-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Funny, I never have anybody ride my wheel, they're always passing me.....

Joachim
05-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Funny, I never have anybody ride my wheel, they're always passing me.....

:). I was just about to say I'm amazed at how many Paceline forumites will "drop" the other guy. Everyone is super strong on here!

kevinvc
05-22-2014, 01:19 PM
I hate drafting / being drafted by anyone outside of my circle of riding friends. The reason is that I'm not a highly experienced / skilled rider. I do my best, but I can be thrown off my line or pace by hitting debris or a small pothole that other riders blow through no problem. I'm learning, but right now I'm a danger to someone who isn't familiar with me hanging 6" off my wheel.

TheEnglish
05-22-2014, 01:51 PM
I have been in both positions of this scenario (though not on a questionable steed). I would say that the most dangerous thing isn't you braking and them running into you (if you have to miss something, the best course of action is to veer, not stop), but overlapping wheels or them passing too close and you veering into them.

That said, you have to be responsible for your own safety and comfort on your ride. Sure there is a level of consideration and etiquitte, but your going to give yourself and ulcer if you worry about everyone else and their manners.

Either ride with them and engage them in a conversation, drop them and their crap -a** bike (if it's that bad and they aren't a skilled rider, you should be able to crush them), or sit up and let them pass.

Most of all, it's fine to ask a question about this as etiquitte has to spread some way, but move on and enjoy the ride. Riding bikes is fun and it should be a joyful experience. Otherwise, our friends and family won't want to join us.

cheers,
-e

tiretrax
05-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Older guys and heavy guys get a pass on that though -- I always respect that they are out no matter what they are on.

Thanks. We need all the help we can get, especially when we're double qualified.

benitosan1972
05-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Drafting this post now, before it gets closed. Carry me to the end, guys! I have nothing left :banana:

Ti Designs
05-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Group ride threads tend to get a lot of "I ride alone" responses, drafting threads seem to be mostly negative. Yet drafting is both more efficient and faster - I can't think of many riders who want to wasted more energy to go slower...

I have great confidence in my riding skills and the skills of the riders I coach. When it comes to a stranger, it only takes me a few seconds to tell if they have the riding skills to not be a danger. As for them drafting me, I try to be the perfect draft. The chances of them taking me down from behind are very low, so they're drafting at their own risk.

I don't have anything to prove by dropping strangers, but I've noticed a number of riders making a point of dropping me. That's just an invitation to come play...

Tony
05-22-2014, 04:19 PM
[QUOTE= but I've noticed a number of riders making a point of dropping me. That's just an invitation to come play...[/QUOTE]

YES :banana:

rain dogs
05-22-2014, 04:23 PM
I disagree that there exists some king of old school brotherhood that obligates you to take the responsibility of having someone on your wheel.

Certainly, blowing snot or turning it into an race is bad form, but I don't think I'm obligated to accept pacelining behavior if I am doing my thing. I move over calmly and let the person know to go through, but if they don't... that's just weird.

Would you go up to someone in a tennis court who is practicing their serve and just start returning balls to them, without first introducing yourself, shaking their hand and asking "you want a hitting partner?"

I don't think so. I someone did that, you'd think they were a nutter. You'd probably say, what the heck you dong?

Now, certainly drafting someone isn't nuts, but if the front person illustrates that they don't want to be pulling someone around, and move over, that's their own perogative.

Saying that's somehow reprehensible behavior, or isn't the proper "old school" is just as silly as a lot of the persistent and bothersome drafting that goes on when a rider calmly illustrates the don't feel like adopting a riding buddy.

Mr.Pave
05-23-2014, 01:35 AM
It doesn't bother me I ride within myself most of the time but will always take the time to chat a bit at stops and let someone draft if they need it,
I like to help out if I'm feeling strong. I live in the Portland Oregon area and this is cycling central and most riders have their S&$t together here so it's never been an issue for me.

nathanong87
05-23-2014, 05:32 AM
rip those farts

christian
05-23-2014, 07:17 AM
I've been riding for sport for, oh, 19 years or so. I think the number of times that I have been "draft stalked" is two. All the other times, the rider has ridden up behind me, said, "Hello, mind if I sit on?" or something like that, and we've had a fine time. Sometimes we sit up and chat, sometimes (when I used to commute) I just dragged them along to where I was going. Maybe it's just where I ride, but is this really a problem?

ceolwulf
05-23-2014, 08:35 AM
If anyone ever pulls up behind me here in southern Manitoba it's almost certain that I know the guy.

fiamme red
05-23-2014, 09:30 AM

LouGreat post. :beer: