PDA

View Full Version : Bike coaches to teach young kids how to ride

Web1111a
05-21-2014, 09:15 AM
Check this link out

http://www.myfoxny.com/story/25569301/kid-struggling-to-learn-to-ride-hire-a-bike-coach

carpediemracing
05-21-2014, 12:34 PM
When I was younger I was sort of dating an older woman. At a get together for her 4 year old one of the other parents asked me innocently how I knew the mom (initially she asked if I was friends with her older barely teenage son?? I wasn't that young). I didn't want to say anything controversial so I told her that "I rode bikes with her". The parent took it to mean I coached her so she then asked me if I would coach her 4 year old boy. I sputtered some kind of answer about how I'm not qualified to work with kids etc but that a different coach might be appropriate.

There are those that live in a different world from the rest of us.

djg
05-22-2014, 06:52 AM
Never occurred to me.

Any links to coaches who will teach kids how to clean up their rooms?

cfox
05-22-2014, 08:35 AM
yikes. The parents are either incompetent to the degree that they should not have kids, or are Uber A-type parents will do anything they think is "the best" for their kids. The latter is what has given rise to things likes "Ivy Bound" which is a tutoring service for pre-school kids. Blech.

In youth sports now, kids are being privately coached from a very young age. It has become an arms race between parents who want their kids to succeed. I know a guy that gives private lacrosse lessons for $300/hour

shovelhd
05-22-2014, 09:33 AM
Sitting here thinking how I can get a ride on this gravy train.

cfox
05-22-2014, 09:38 AM
Sitting here thinking how I can get a ride on this gravy train.

First of all, stop giving free clinics. Second, find a way to make cycling the new cool sport in $uburbia. There is no limit to what parents will pay to get Little Joey on the team.

christian
05-22-2014, 09:40 AM
My children (3&5) are good riders and I'm known as the cycling guy among my friends and acquaintances. Not a month goes by where I don't get asked about teaching someone's kid to ride.

I think there's definitely a market for this in affluent suburbia.

In the end, I don't see why not. I ski well, have taught ski school, but I'm happy to leave teaching my kids to ski to current professionals and ski with them for fun. Cycling could well be the same.

cfox
05-22-2014, 10:06 AM
My children (3&5) are good riders and I'm known as the cycling guy among my friends and acquaintances. Not a month goes by where I don't get asked about teaching someone's kid to ride.

I think there's definitely a market for this in affluent suburbia.

In the end, I don't see why not. I ski well, have taught ski school, but I'm happy to leave teaching my kids to ski to current professionals and ski with them for fun. Cycling could well be the same.

Teaching your kid to ride a 2-wheeler is a time honored tradition in parenting. All you need is a bike, a kid, and a patch of grass. And maybe, maybe, 2 minutes on youtube. You can't really compare it teaching a kid to ski, right? That's not easy by any means.