PDA

View Full Version : Moots seat clamps-

Mikej
05-21-2014, 06:21 AM
Looks like MOOTS has clamps on all road frames and now have a larger diameter seat tube as well. As an ERIKSEN owner, I likey MOOTS, they still have a cool vibe after all these years. New kit looks great as well. Wish I needed a new bike....

MannyHarris
05-21-2014, 02:49 PM
I have a question for you...I am looking for a new bike and have always wanted a Moots!! recently i was considering an Eriksen very seriously. How does your Eriksen ride? Do you think there is much difference between the two? I love the idea of a custom built bike from The Man! I am able to get a bit of a deal through a friend on the Moots. This would give me the opportunity to get a complete bike for roughly the cost of the custom frame, fork and some goodies. Having said that , I could always buy a new group later and the frame will outlast the groups anyways?????
Thanks for any input

John H.
05-21-2014, 04:01 PM
Let me start by saying that I am a huge Eriksen fan.
If you ride a stock sized bike well and if you are a normal weight for you height it would be tough to top a Moots at a discount.
But if you are in need of a custom or want a bike that is a bit more unique, I would say Eriksen all the way.
Though Moots will make a custom- they are 99% a production shop. But a very high quality production shop.
Kent will design and build a bike from the ground up- no stock tubes or stock geometry.

oldpotatoe
05-21-2014, 04:11 PM
If you ride a stock sized bike well and if you are a normal weight for you height it would be tough to top a Moots at a discount.
But if you are in need of a custom or want a bike that is a bit more unique, I would say Eriksen all the way.
Though Moots will make a custom- they are 99% a production shop. But a very high quality production shop.
Kent will design and build a bike from the ground up- no stock tubes or stock geometry.

Yep, the difference between 1500 frames a year and 150. Kent can make you pretty much anything, as long as it works. Moots by virtue of their size, is 'production'....must have models, dealers, etc.

Mikej
05-21-2014, 06:54 PM
I have a question for you...I am looking for a new bike and have always wanted a Moots!! recently i was considering an Eriksen very seriously. How does your Eriksen ride? Do you think there is much difference between the two? I love the idea of a custom built bike from The Man! I am able to get a bit of a deal through a friend on the Moots. This would give me the opportunity to get a complete bike for roughly the cost of the custom frame, fork and some goodies. Having said that , I could always buy a new group later and the frame will outlast the groups anyways?????
Thanks for any input

Well, I am a bit biased towards Eriksens, I have 2! My road bike has 1" chaninstays, beefy down tube and custom geometry. He is really good at keeping it quick-6-8 weeks. And I have to say Brad Bingham is hands down the best ti welder out there. Won nahbs best tig. The price is really close to a Moots compact / vamoots. You can call and just chat, see if you like what he's selling. He sponsored our Wisconsin mtb team for several years. As stated above- if you find a moots in stock and can get a deal and it fits, you can't go wrong, but if you want your own set up custom, Kent is the guy.

pdmtong
05-21-2014, 07:15 PM

+1 what john says

if you can fit a stock moots, that I would buy that and ride it - a lot. then, once you figure out what you like / dont like you sell it for close or what you paid (assuming you got a sweet deal) and then are more informed to order your custom KE.

the moots will ride great but available to anyone. the KE will be just more personal

that said, there arent enough Moots out there that anyone would think them a commodity ride like a madone or tarmac

Cat3roadracer
05-21-2014, 07:36 PM
I am fortunate to have two Moots bikes, the ride on each is excellent. I'm sure KE takes it up a notch.

Having to decide between the two - a good problem to have.

John H.
05-21-2014, 10:38 PM
What size do you ride?
I have an Eriksen that may hit the classifieds soon.
I just received another Eriksen.

Thanks for any input

redir
05-22-2014, 09:52 AM
So are you saying that Moots no longer has the... I don't know what it's called... the 'welded on the frame seat clamps' but rather a band clamp?

Disappointing.

thegunner
05-22-2014, 09:54 AM
So are you saying that Moots no longer has the... I don't know what it's called... the 'welded on the frame seat clamps' but rather a band clamp?

Disappointing.

yes.

MannyHarris
05-24-2014, 01:20 AM
What size do you ride?
I have an Eriksen that may hit the classifieds soon.
I just received another Eriksen.

I ride a 56. 5'11, 32" inseam, size 11
Would love to see a picture of your Eriksen?
How is the ride?
Handling?
Acceleration?
Weight
Thx
manny

John H.
05-24-2014, 10:19 AM
Here are some pics.
http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=145354
Ride nice- neutral, stiff and comfy.
The OS tubing definitely keeps the bike tight and acceleration crisp.
Weight is low 16's- could be lighter with lighter wheels and a couple lighter parts.

I ride a 56. 5'11, 32" inseam, size 11
Would love to see a picture of your Eriksen?
How is the ride?
Handling?
Acceleration?
Weight
Thx
manny