PDA

View Full Version : Bontrager Road Lite, Good or Bad?

Javaman
05-21-2014, 12:46 AM
So I have an opportunity to acquire one, just the frameset. Not really familiar with Bontragers although I have a buddy who owns a Race Lite and raves about it. I want to get it, my size too :rolleyes:. But I have read mixed reviews about them. Any of you guys have or had one? Mind sharing your thoughts about it? I don't see them a lot and I'm kinda digging those monostays.

hokoman
05-21-2014, 01:00 AM
I have one... This is my second one, another forum member has my other one. Nice riding bike, long head tube (at least for the Small), rides like a nice steel bike. Pretty rare bike...

weaponsgrade
05-21-2014, 01:18 AM
So I have an opportunity to acquire one, just the frameset. Not really familiar with Bontragers although I have a buddy who owns a Race Lite and raves about it. I want to get it, my size too. But I have read mixed reviews about them. Any of guys have or had one? Mind sharing your thoughts about it? I don't see them a lot and I'm kinda digging those monostays.

Bontrager has a cult following among the vintage mtn bike crowd. I never had a Road Lite, but I had a Race Lite in college. I loved that bike and wish I still had it. At the time I was looking at Kleins, Fat City, and Bontrager. Bontrager seemed to be the more scrappy of the three. I liked that his "marketing" brochure was a thick photocopied document that explained the reasoning behind his design choices. Bontrager was also a bit less than the other two. There's a forum member here who I think was selling a Road Lite at some point that I really wanted to get. But my purpose in getting it would be more for nostalgia. And I already have a lot of nostalgia bikes. I think Bontrager was known more for his mtn bikes. Even though there probably aren't many Road Lites around they don't seem to get the ooohs and ahhhs that say a De Rosa or Colnago of that era would. I think it would be a fine riding bike, but part of what you're buying is the nostalgia. If you don't care for that then I'd look at something like a Gunnar for a nice production type bike - or maybe a new Rock Lobster made with the latest steels. Paul Sadoff builds w/ a monostay and was Bontrager's neighbor.

Javaman
05-21-2014, 02:53 AM
I have one... This is my second one, another forum member has my other one. Nice riding bike, long head tube (at least for the Small), rides like a nice steel bike. Pretty rare bike...

Thanks for the photo. That is my size also. 54.5 ett right?

Javaman
05-21-2014, 03:10 AM
Bontrager has a cult following among the vintage mtn bike crowd. I never had a Road Lite, but I had a Race Lite in college. I loved that bike and wish I still had it. At the time I was looking at Kleins, Fat City, and Bontrager. Bontrager seemed to be the more scrappy of the three. I liked that his "marketing" brochure was a thick photocopied document that explained the reasoning behind his design choices. Bontrager was also a bit less than the other two. There's a forum member here who I think was selling a Road Lite at some point that I really wanted to get. But my purpose in getting it would be more for nostalgia. And I already have a lot of nostalgia bikes. I think Bontrager was known more for his mtn bikes. Even though there probably aren't many Road Lites around they don't seem to get the ooohs and ahhhs that say a De Rosa or Colnago of that era would. I think it would be a fine riding bike, but part of what you're buying is the nostalgia. If you don't care for that then I'd look at something like a Gunnar for a nice production type bike - or maybe a new Rock Lobster made with the latest steels. Paul Sadoff builds w/ a monostay and was Bontrager's neighbor.

Thanks for the insight. You're right huh? Eventhough they're rare they don't really generate much excitement... From what I've read so far, there are a lot of folks who love/loved their Road Lites but there are also people who hated them. So was kinda intrigue why people did not like it. I just did a search and one member here even placed his Road Lite as one of his worst riding bike ever. He used the words "dead feel". :) And you're correct, I will most likely buy it for nostalgia and the fact that it is rare.

hokoman
05-21-2014, 02:18 PM
Thanks for the photo. That is my size also. 54.5 ett right?

Yes 54.5 ETT. Wow, I can't comment on the worst riding road bike ever... I did end up selling my CX for peanuts on Ebay.. and I was thinking that this would also get sold at some point, but for how little I would get.. decided I would keep it. If you're a big Bontrager fan, I have the metal sprocket sign shop that I would sell... it's like a boat anchor. :)

Gummee
05-21-2014, 03:12 PM
Didn't like mine. Rode 'dead.' The E-5 S-Works I had (and have again) rode much nicer. Ditto with the Battaglins in the garage.

YMMV

M

Javaman
05-21-2014, 04:10 PM
If you're a big Bontrager fan, I have the metal sprocket sign shop that I would sell... it's like a boat anchor. :)

Thanks for the offer :) But I can't imagine how much it will cost to ship that thing.:rolleyes:

Javaman
05-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Didn't like mine. Rode 'dead.' The E-5 S-Works I had (and have again) rode much nicer. Ditto with the Battaglins in the garage.

YMMV

M

Really appreciate the response. Makes me think twice in getting it.

Kirk Pacenti
05-21-2014, 04:22 PM
I loved mine... sorry I sold it.

Kirk Pacenti
05-21-2014, 04:23 PM
If you're a big Bontrager fan, I have the metal sprocket sign shop that I would sell... it's like a boat anchor. :)

I might be interested...

Hindmost
05-21-2014, 04:39 PM
A piece of history. Likely to be rideable and collectable at the same time.

Full disclosure--I live on the other side of the Santa Cruz mtns and own an OR mountain bike.