PDA

View Full Version : Ultra Torque BB/crank Installation Problem

pjmsj21
05-20-2014, 07:03 PM
Warning this is my first build. I have looked at the videos on line but am still having some difficulty with the bb/crank installation.

I have put anti-seize on the cups and screwed them into the bb. I then put the right crank into the cups and push in as hard as I can. I then to the same with the left crank along with the wavy washer.

I then align the cranks and screw in the bolt pretty hard but not to the 35nm torque. But in checking to see how the two spindles are engaging and I find that I have a fair amount of play between the two crank arms. In other words when I rotate one crank as if it was being pedaled, there is a fair amount of play between the two crank arms.

Am I just not torqueing the bolt enough? I am concerned that I might be forcing something that I shouldn't have to force that much to remove the play.

Thoughts or suggestions please?

Pat

jtakeda
05-20-2014, 07:06 PM
I think you're not tightening enough and the little teeth on the crank spindle aren't engaging.

Also did you take the c clip out first? That might be preventing the crank from engaging.

oldpotatoe
05-20-2014, 07:29 PM
Warning this is my first build. I have looked at the videos on line but am still having some difficulty with the bb/crank installation.

I have put anti-seize on the cups and screwed them into the bb. I then put the right crank into the cups and push in as hard as I can. I then to the same with the left crank along with the wavy washer.

I then align the cranks and screw in the bolt pretty hard but not to the 35nm torque. But in checking to see how the two spindles are engaging and I find that I have a fair amount of play between the two crank arms. In other words when I rotate one crank as if it was being pedaled, there is a fair amount of play between the two crank arms.

Am I just not torqueing the bolt enough? I am concerned that I might be forcing something that I shouldn't have to force that much to remove the play.

Thoughts or suggestions please?

Pat

Get the RH bearing way into cup(lotsa grease inside cups, right?), then install clip in RH cup, left bearing in and tighten. Don't think the teeth are filly engaged and seated.

vqdriver
05-20-2014, 07:58 PM
before forcing the issue with the crank bolt, try removing the crank from the bb and assemble it off the bike. you'll see how tight the bolt should feel to get no play in the crank. the interface should be tight enough to feel no play whatsoever.

David Kirk
05-20-2014, 08:42 PM
Any chance you are putting the bolt in from the wrong side. I've seen this done a number of times........put it in, tighten it up and all is good except it hasn't clamped the two halves together.

Worth looking at -

dave

Veloo
05-20-2014, 08:47 PM
If you have a mobile device that can Skype, perhaps you could do a video call with a forumite or someone else with experience/ knowledge? I did an Athena build last year with UT cranks. I'm no professional but I got it on with no play. I'd be happy to do a Skype if you want.

zmudshark
05-20-2014, 08:54 PM
Any chance you are putting the bolt in from the wrong side. I've seen this done a number of times........put it in, tighten it up and all is good except it hasn't clamped the two halves together.

Worth looking at -

daveI've seen that happen a couple of times, too, done by shops that don't do Campy regularly, and don't read instructions.

pjmsj21
05-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Thanks guys.....let me try all of these suggestions.

pjmsj21
05-20-2014, 10:55 PM

Worth looking at -

dave

Dave.....you nailed it. Once you said this I recalled unscrewing the bolt out of the left hand crank arm when unpacking the box. I installed it on the correct side and even with moderate tightening seems to be nice and snug.

Thanks guys sooooo much. Stay tuned for my next head scratcher.

Pat

fogrider
05-20-2014, 11:25 PM

Worth looking at -

dave

Wow!!! so the bolt was installed on the same side that has the threads?

oldpotatoe
05-21-2014, 06:33 AM

Worth looking at -

dave

Gee, I've never seen that....wink, wink..did that the first UT crank I installed...

Timdog
05-21-2014, 07:51 AM
I want to thank everyone for coming forward about installing the bolt from the wrong side. Hey, you have a 50-50 chance, right. To my credit, mine didn't come with instructions, but I did check out a video. Looked simple enough.
Tim

paredown
05-21-2014, 08:16 AM
I'm glad the OP did this first--I have my first UT crank install coming up, and with my current foggy brain, I'm pretty sure this would have been me posting...:banana:

pjmsj21
05-21-2014, 01:31 PM
As the OP, while a bit embarrassing to share amongst friends on the forum, it is far less embarrassing than walking into my LBS with frame and crankset in my hand and having them enjoy the incident for a long time into the future.

I'm glad the OP did this first--I have my first UT crank install coming up, and with my current foggy brain, I'm pretty sure this would have been me posting...:banana:

FlashUNC
05-21-2014, 01:55 PM
Just don't forget that retainer clip.

WSBA Jr.
05-21-2014, 02:16 PM
...only it was after I had done the process several times before correctly. Out loud to self: "I've done it exactly this way before, did I just get stupid?" 20 minutes later: "Apparently so!" ;-)

cfox
05-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Just don't forget that retainer clip.

my thoughts exactly. op didn't mention installing the c-clip and leaving it out would cause play.