PDA

View Full Version : OT: tablets - different for the sake of trying something different

Wayne77
05-20-2014, 09:52 AM
Hey, this is way off topic I know but I wanted some perspective from folks who obsess about bikes rather than the pros and cons of Android and iOS. I'm in the market for a tablet after having an iPad 2 for several years. I'm looking at the iPad mini, Sumsung Tabs of various flavors, Nexus, etc. I've had Android and iOS devices before and familiar w/ the Pros and Cons of each. I'm not vested in either OS to care about past content or App purchases. I had a Kindle Fire HDX for a while - decent device but sometimes feeling like you're front and center in the Amazon marketplace is a little off putting.

So yesterday I walked into a Microsoft retail store (its striking how much these new retail stores are positioned to be like the Apple "glass boxes"...right down to the super nice hipsters mulling about to help answer questions) and checked out some devices running the new Windows 8 mobile system. I gotta say I love the way they look and feel. The OS seems like a fresh departure from the "screen with lots of random icons" look of Apple and Android.

But the deal is I like change for change sake. I'm fickle, and will switch to something new just because I get bored easily. So I don't want to jump on that ship and regret it. Anyone here have a Surface or other tablet running Microsoft? Have you been happy with the device? I used to dislike Windows, but I kinda like the new direction, and I think the Apple OS is getting kinda booring (too me). I don't mind if there are fewer apps in the Wondows store, but it looks like the major ones are all there, and they have some heavy hitters that are integrated very well (One Note). I'm not into gaming at all, but I do love to view photo sites like Flikr, 500px, etc. Will use it for note taking at work, maybe some light Excel number crunching, etc. Maybe a movie from time to time.

So are these new MS tablets the real deal, or maybe iShould stay with the tried and true iPad...

signed,

iWayne

Anarchist
05-20-2014, 10:14 AM
I figure there is a reason that MSFT have lost $1.3 billion on the Surface product line, so far.

MadRocketSci
05-20-2014, 10:23 AM
no apps....ok not "no" apps, but you know what i mean....example, no strava and no plans for strava from strava*

i like the live tiles interface as well though...

people don't seem as willing to get a tablet just for Office products...

got my wife and kid into an MS store, both wanted to leave after 10 minutes...can't pull my kid out of the apple store sometimes.

*yes, i know we're talking tablets but just illustrates the uphill battle that MS has...no markestshare, no app...no apps, no marketshare...

deechee
05-20-2014, 10:31 AM
Are you talking about Surface RT or Pro? They're two completely different systems. The RT will not run anything you owned in Windows. The Pro is closer to being like your laptop, but its significantly more expensive which makes it less attractive to me.

From what I've heard, the Office suite on RT is really bad. Word is probably fine, but Excel is terrible (from a tester's perspective). So, if that's your main draw, I'd play with it first.

Second, despite all the news about Windows8 gaining market share, the data is skewed with the large sales of Nokia's low end Windows phones, the 5xx series. They're not money makers. Honestly, when Windows 7, 7.5 etc came out on Nokia phones, I loved the UI. But then MS came out with 8, which is not compatible with anything from 7. REALLY?! What will they do with 9? (Look at the new Xbox one strategy; lower the price of the unit by removing the Kinect, screwing companies that develop apps for Kinect.)

All that said, I used to work at Nokia, before Elop came in and sunk the ship. So I'm biased ;)

John H.
05-20-2014, 10:41 AM
Question- can the windows 8 tablets run all of the programs that my PC does?

FlashUNC
05-20-2014, 10:48 AM
Microsoft just announced a new line of Surface tablets...

http://gizmodo.com/the-surface-pro-3-has-a-big-beautiful-12-inch-screen-1578974248

Climb01742
05-20-2014, 11:02 AM
i may be in the minority on this, but after using an iPad for two years, i actually hate it. for me, i has so many compromises and klunky interface features. a tablet is the bastard child of phones and laptops and i can't see me ever buying another one, regardless of who makes it.

i got the mrs a MacBook Air and IMO that is the best 'tablet'.

tiretrax
05-20-2014, 11:37 AM
I played with the Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 for a few weeks. I preferred it to an Ipad. I passed on the Surface because of the lack of aps, and the need to upgrade to the higher priced model to get any real productivity. I suggest you think about how you intend to use it, and that will dictate the appliance you buy.

Gsinill
05-20-2014, 11:45 AM
+1

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I hate my iPad, but I agree that with a smartphone and an ultraportable laptop, I don't necessarily see a real need for a tablet either. If I had to give up one gadget, the iPad would bite the dust.

Take this with a grain of salt though, since I am also one of the few that doesn't want the iPhone to get any bigger...

i may be in the minority on this, but after using an iPad for two years, i actually hate it. for me, i has so many compromises and klunky interface features. a tablet is the bastard child of phones and laptops and i can't see me ever buying another one, regardless of who makes it.

i got the mrs a mac air and IMO that is the best 'tablet'.

Tony T
05-20-2014, 11:57 AM
Take this with a grain of salt though, since I am also one of the few that doesn't want the iPhone to get any bigger...

http://www.in-traction.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/bigphone.jpg

Anarchist
05-20-2014, 12:40 PM
+1

I wouldn't go as far as saying that I hate my iPad, but I agree that with a smartphone and an ultraportable laptop, I don't necessarily see a real need for a tablet either. If I had to give up one gadget, the iPad would bite the dust.

I don't believe you are. It's just that the people who have made them bigger as a "feature" scream really loud, and then the talking heads start screaming and .....

CaliFly
05-20-2014, 12:55 PM
I would really only consider the Surface Pro 2 (or 3). I think it does a bang-up job as both a tablet and an ultralight laptop for some real productivity. However, I think the device is overpriced by $200-$300. I could get used to the interface. iOS by contrast just seems limited.

You just really need to decide how you will use it. Be honest about it. My iPad 2 still serves me well as a Netflix portal/recipe stand/Bible/Google searchy-thingy. I don't need it to be more than that. Actual work away from the desktop is done on a MBPR.

But different strokes something something...

vqdriver
05-20-2014, 01:25 PM
everyone gets to choose if they want a tablet or not. but if you do want that form factor, i'd stick with ios or android.

i've got two ipads now and am probably going to change one to a samsung tablet to give android a shot. win8 has no appeal for me cuz they keep changing direction. when they figure out what they want to do, i'll reconsider. but until then it's an ongoing clusterF

rnhood
05-20-2014, 01:44 PM
I also highly recommend a MB Air over the iPad, or any tablet for that matter. It just does so much more with hardly any compromise in convenience. In fact I could argue there isn't a compromise any more, other than the MB Air cost more. But the added functionality and capability is well worth the difference in cost.

Wayne77
05-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I hear ya, but most of the apps I use are there. I can't think of a good use case to need a strava app on a tablet. Any, I agree MS has an uphill battle...

no apps....ok not "no" apps, but you know what i mean....example, no strava and no plans for strava from strava*

i like the live tiles interface as well though...

people don't seem as willing to get a tablet just for Office products...

got my wife and kid into an MS store, both wanted to leave after 10 minutes...can't pull my kid out of the apple store sometimes.

*yes, i know we're talking tablets but just illustrates the uphill battle that MS has...no markestshare, no app...no apps, no marketshare...

MadRocketSci
05-20-2014, 01:54 PM
Yeah, I hear ya, but most of the apps I use are there. I can't think of a good use case to need a strava app on a tablet. Any, I agree MS has an uphill battle...

Yeah, I meant that only as an example, which unfortunately was the only thing i looked into specifically when evaluating Win8 phones (not surface tablets). From what I can tell it's a prevalent attitude among the app makers that don't get some kind of incentive from MS, and thus, "Win8 is not in our current plans"

Wayne77
05-20-2014, 01:55 PM
I was looking at the Surface 2. The pro is too much $$$ for me. Thanks for the heads up about the RT version of Excel. I played with Excel and it seemed fine, but I'll look for some in-depth reviews. I can't imagine it being worse that trying to do a spreadsheet in iOS or Android though....

hmm, I'm on Amazon prime. Maybe I'll order through amazon w/ free return shipping if I don't like it. For some reason I have this chronic desire to get something a little different this time around...we'll see how it works out I guess. Last time I was in a similar predicament with cameras...all my friends and family had Canons and Nikons. I ended up with a Pentax K-5 and I LOOOVE that camera :cool:

Are you talking about Surface RT or Pro? They're two completely different systems. The RT will not run anything you owned in Windows. The Pro is closer to being like your laptop, but its significantly more expensive which makes it less attractive to me.

From what I've heard, the Office suite on RT is really bad. Word is probably fine, but Excel is terrible (from a tester's perspective). So, if that's your main draw, I'd play with it first.

Second, despite all the news about Windows8 gaining market share, the data is skewed with the large sales of Nokia's low end Windows phones, the 5xx series. They're not money makers. Honestly, when Windows 7, 7.5 etc came out on Nokia phones, I loved the UI. But then MS came out with 8, which is not compatible with anything from 7. REALLY?! What will they do with 9? (Look at the new Xbox one strategy; lower the price of the unit by removing the Kinect, screwing companies that develop apps for Kinect.)

All that said, I used to work at Nokia, before Elop came in and sunk the ship. So I'm biased ;)

eippo1
05-20-2014, 01:58 PM
I'd agree that most apps I use (except for banking) are available on windows. I have a first generation crashpad, a windows 8 phone, a windows 8 laptop and an Asus Nexus 7.

I find the Win 8 live tiles work great for a touchscreen, but the interface is worthless on my laptop. I figure it would be great on a tablet and am recommending my wife gets the new Asus Transformer which runs Windows 8.

That said I really enjoy my Nexus for its size and how well it works. I absolutely love the fingerswipe method of typing on andriod and it might push me towards getting an android phone for my next one.

Wayne77
05-20-2014, 02:03 PM
I'm glad you bring up the finger swipe typeing of Android. I love that input method too. I can swipe-type way faster than I can peck on my iPad. Anyone know if MS has any plans to support swipe typing in Win8 or WinRT?

ANyway, thanks to all who have contributed so far. Great insigts. I would love a MB Air if I could afford it! That said, I like a tablet form factor because I much rather sit on the couch than in a chair when I'm consuming media vs being productive, and tablets seem to lend themselves more to that. Then again, I've never curled up on the couch with a MB Air. I will try it for free and post a review if anyone wants to send me one :-)

I'd agree that most apps I use (except for banking) are available on windows. I have a first generation crashpad, a windows 8 phone, a windows 8 laptop and an Asus Nexus 7.

I find the Win 8 live tiles work great for a touchscreen, but the interface is worthless on my laptop. I figure it would be great on a tablet and am recommending my wife gets the new Asus Transformer which runs Windows 8.

That said I really enjoy my Nexus for its size and how well it works. I absolutely love the fingerswipe method of typing on andriod and it might push me towards getting an android phone for my next one.

mgm777
05-20-2014, 02:06 PM
A year ago, I was contemplating a tablet...mostly an iPad since my house is predominately an Apple environment. I ended up purchasing a 13 inch Air instead and it has been wonderful. It has completely killed my tablet/iPad envy.
I use the Air, with its super fast start-up SSD, for sitting on the couch surfing the net, business travel, etc. Battery lasts a long time and super quick startup and connect to wifi. No need for a tablet/iPad. Just my experience.

Climb01742
05-20-2014, 02:25 PM
I wonder how many iPad users really would rather have a MB Air? Probably more than Apple would like to admit.

Anarchist
05-20-2014, 03:08 PM
I bought the first gen iPad, now on the 3rd gen and will upgrade this year to a new Air. I rarely ever use a desktop or laptop anymore, in fact I use my laptop for two reasons. To sync my Garmin and to download photos from my camera. That's it.

I never bring the laptop on travel anymore, and for work travel, just the iPad. Use Evernote and Notability and I hardly ever even carry paper with anymore either. I use the iPad for all of my report writing and doing presentations as well.

The form factor of the iPad works well for me too. Sitting on a plane, or at home, I appreciate the form factor even more.

As to Apple caring about iPads vs. MB Air - they are quite happy to sell either one for a profit.

ceolwulf
05-20-2014, 03:49 PM
I wonder how many iPad users really would rather have a MB Air? Probably more than Apple would like to admit.

Interesting question. I have both, use both, but use them for quite different things.

EDS
05-20-2014, 04:07 PM

Sure, everyone would rather have the macbook air but it is more than twice the cost. That said, I was deciding between a macbook air and macbook pro for my wife and the size/weight difference was so small I went with the macbook pro.

Climb01742
05-20-2014, 04:08 PM
I've been an Apple user since '85. And the iPad really is my first big meh from Apple. As phone screens get bigger and laptops like the MB Air get lighter and cheaper, I do wonder if tablets will get squeezed into 'who cares?' Even as a pure media and content consumption device, an iPad is just too klunky, but that may just be me. My 2.5 year old daughter loves it though!;) soon it will be all hers.

Len J
05-20-2014, 05:41 PM
I've been an Apple user since '85. And the iPad really is my first big meh from Apple. As phone screens get bigger and laptops like the MB Air get lighter and cheaper, I do wonder if tablets will get squeezed into 'who cares?' Even as a pure media and content consumption device, an iPad is just too klunky, but that may just be me. My 2.5 year old daughter loves it though!;) soon it will be all hers.

I got a mini and haven't used the iPad since. Perfect size IMO.

Air is overkill both in terms of price and functionality for many/most Facebook/e-mail/internet/e-reader users

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Climb01742
05-20-2014, 06:52 PM
I got a mini and haven't used the iPad since. Perfect size IMO.

Air is overkill both in terms of price and functionality for many/most Facebook/e-mail/internet/e-reader users

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Len, I'm totally open to the fact that I may well be the odd man out here in finding the iPad lacking. Maybe I'm too ingrained in a laptop interface. And I sure don't watch enough movies or TV shows on it to realize that utility of it.

Len J
05-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Len, I'm totally open to the fact that I may well be the odd man out here in finding the iPad lacking. Maybe I'm too ingrained in a laptop interface. And I sure don't watch enough movies or TV shows on it to realize that utility of it.

Nice having choices.

Wayne77
05-21-2014, 10:49 AM

I guess everyone probably has a different use case that determines the form factor that works best for them. Personally, after thinking about this more, I've narrowed down my selection where I'll likely end up with an iPad Mini. Will keep my productivity task to my laptop. Would still love an MB Air, but the laptop form factor wont work for me very well if I want to pull out a little tablet from my bag to catch up on the train (sometimes standing) and browse the news, flickr feed, forums, etc. I really like the one-handed use of the mini form factor. I agree that a full sized tablet format (whether it's an iPad or a Surface or an Android), especially these newer ginormous 12 inch tablets overlap too much with the smaller/thin laptops like a MB Air.

Wayne77
05-21-2014, 10:58 AM
Microsoft just announced a new line of Surface tablets...

http://gizmodo.com/the-surface-pro-3-has-a-big-beautiful-12-inch-screen-1578974248

Just checked out the news here...confused. Why does the world need 12" tablets? It looks rediculous to pull one of those suckers out of a bag and try to use while you're on the go. There were boatloads of rumors prior to yesterday that they would anounce a mini version of the surface, which would have been cool. Checking some newsfeeds now everyone is saying MS will not go the mini direction and this is a deliberate move to further entrench themselves in the 'productivity / office" niche with these huge high end so called "pro" tablets. Might make sense I guess, but that niche is completely at odds with their new retail stores which are all about getting the younger crowd that wants media consumption devices.

Climb01742
05-21-2014, 11:00 AM
I guess everyone probably has a different use case that determines the form factor that works best for them. Personally, after thinking about this more, I've narrowed down my selection where I'll likely end up with an iPad Mini. Will keep my productivity task to my laptop. Would still love an MB Air, but the laptop form factor wont work for me very well if I want to pull out a little tablet from my bag to catch up on the train (sometimes standing) and browse the news, flickr feed, forums, etc. I really like the one-handed use of the mini form factor. I agree that a full sized tablet format (whether it's an iPad or a Surface or an Android), especially these newer ginormous 12 inch tablets overlap too much with the smaller/thin laptops like a MB Air.

That sounds very logical. Really understanding how we, personally, use a device should always drive our choice. And few things are more effortlessly portable than a Mini. Enjoy!

Dired
05-21-2014, 09:05 PM
Just ran across this in my rss, I thought it was well put:

"The main problem is that this is still a Windows 8 machine, missing the elegance of Apple’s iOS, its touch-based app selection, and its accessory and media ecosystem. Really, Microsoft has just made a good argument for Apple to release a larger (and even thinner) iPad Pro sometime sooner than later — that actually sounds great."

via Gruber
http://daringfireball.net/linked/2014/05/21/frommer-surface

That being said, I personally use a w8 desktop and an android tablet/phone.

93legendti
05-21-2014, 09:28 PM
I love my iPad mini with connectivity. I sometimes use a Asus Nexus 7, because 7" screens can be easier to hold. I don't like the android internet browsers as much as safari, but it's still a nice tablet and I do enjoy the convenience of widgets as oppose to apps.

Wayne77
05-22-2014, 01:50 PM
I love my iPad mini with connectivity. I sometimes use a Asus Nexus 7, because 7" screens can be easier to hold. I don't like the android internet browsers as much as safari, but it's still a nice tablet and I do enjoy the convenience of widgets as oppose to apps.

this is why I really like Microsofts take on widgets and apps. It's like the best of both worlds. You can pin anything as a tile an then specify where it goes and how big it is. App, favorite website, picture, widget, etc. And it all lines up nicely too. Of course you can do this in Android, but it just doesn't look as nice - kind of kludgy. But I love the iPad HW, build, and app store selection. Give me an iPad mini retina w/ live tiles like MS and I'd be a happy camper!

the screens full of app icons is what I don't like about Apple. Seems a little dated. Live tiles and widgets are much more personal and immersive IMO. I bet when iOS 8 comes out we'll see some very cool changes.

93legendti
05-22-2014, 03:50 PM
this is why I really like Microsofts take on widgets and apps. It's like the best of both worlds. You can pin anything as a tile an then specify where it goes and how big it is. App, favorite website, picture, widget, etc. And it all lines up nicely too. Of course you can do this in Android, but it just doesn't look as nice - kind of kludgy. But I love the iPad HW, build, and app store selection. Give me an iPad mini retina w/ live tiles like MS and I'd be a happy camper!

the screens full of app icons is what I don't like about Apple. Seems a little dated. Live tiles and widgets are much more personal and immersive IMO. I bet when iOS 8 comes out we'll see some very cool changes.

I haven't gotten into windows based tablets or phones...I have my hands full with an android phone and an iPad mini.:)