PDA

View Full Version : Gonna buy sum tools

Dead Man
05-19-2014, 06:09 PM
Howdy

I'm fortunate to have bros that don't mind loaning me tools, but it's a pain in the ass, and I find myself making changes and building often enough that a week doesn't go by before I'm borrow more tools. But I'm a poor man and always have a stack of unpaid bills and things that need to be bought... so I'm not looking to buy a $500 with a bunch of crap in it I already have anyway...

Necessary tools:
-Cassette socket
-Whip
-External BB spanner
-Common cone wrenches
-Spoke tools

Really want:
-Cable tension tool
-Cable cutter
-Headset press - I'll probably make one of these, though

Have already:
-Oiler
-Greaser
-Standard wrenches and sockets
-awl
-cleaning tools

Anything I'm forgetting?

Is there a kit that's appropriate for me, or should I just start piecing it together? Anything to definitely stay away from, or other common home-wrench errors to watch for?

Thankls

-B

jtakeda
05-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Id put cable/housing cutters in the necessary section.

Also BB tools.
Chain tool!

shovelhd
05-19-2014, 06:15 PM
I don't know what a cable tension tool is, but if you mean a third hand, they are invaluable. I assume you have all of the standard tools. GC key set. Torque wrenches. Ratchet handle. Torx bits. Screwdrivers.

TheEnglish
05-19-2014, 06:27 PM
I would add the following:
chain tools (both the pin remover and the quick link pliers)
cable/housing cutter (add to necessary)
BB tools

tiretrax
05-19-2014, 07:38 PM
Performance has a kit with many of the rudimentary tools for $45, or so. I'd look on their site and Nashbar (sister site) to see if they have anything on sale this weekend (Memorial Day).

kramnnim
05-19-2014, 07:47 PM
I have a Performance external BB tool, and it's quite awful...doesn't fit the notches well, and chews up the BB cups.

Kits may be a waste of money if you already have hex wrenches, etc.

You really do need a cable cutter!

bargainguy
05-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Do you have a cotterless crank remover?

I like the ones with just an axle/spindle that thread into the crank, where you turn the other end with a separate heavy wrench. (Oddly, it's the one out of the cheap Performance kit!) I don't like the all-in-one crank puller tools because the handles are short and provide little leverage.

jvp
05-19-2014, 08:27 PM
I like the campy cotterless crank tool because I get to use the campy peanut butter wrench to apply it!

russd32
05-19-2014, 08:36 PM
I would echo what others have said. Except I'd caution against the cheap tool kits from Nashbar and others. I started with one and over time I've replaced nearly everything with Park. In hindsight, I would have been better off to buy quality essentials first, then hit up my LBS for the others as I needed them.

The other advantage to this is that once you build a relationship with the shop guys at your LBS they'll start to charge you less and less for the weird things that require a tool that you'd only use once every 2 years.

ceolwulf
05-19-2014, 09:55 PM
Cable cutter unquestionably. I like the Shimano one.

I just bought a derailleur hanger alignment tool - suspect if I'm going to be racing 'cross it'll count as an essential :bike:

Matfam
05-20-2014, 12:36 AM
A hanger tool is pretty easy to make for cheap, and works at least as good as the park.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dale Alan
05-20-2014, 02:45 AM
Another vote for cable cutters . You can find used Felcos on ebay for 20 bucks. Great tool for very little money.

djg
05-20-2014, 06:55 AM
Good list, and I'd agree with those who added decent cable cutters and a third-hand tool. Pedal wrench?

Chain tool, sure, but take a deep breath before you check out the campy chain tools.

I guess there are ok kits out there, and maybe you'll find a deal or close-out, but you often do better in the long run buying good versions of the tools you actually want and need individually.

chiasticon
05-20-2014, 08:39 AM
don't get a kit unless you have absolutely nothing and can afford a decent park or pedro's one (i'd recommend avoiding nashbar/performance kits, as others have said). it's way better to buy as you need. with that said, things like BB presses/adapters and headset setters/pullers/presses can wait. get the things you'll need day-to-day or at least once a season: a good set of hex tools (NOT a multitool), cable cutters, cassette adapter, chain whip, a shop-quality chain tool, and a stand. these items would perform 95% of what i need to do for a season of road riding.

which brings me to my next point: what are you working on? is it road, mtb, cx, hybrid, fixie, cruiser, all of the above? this will affect what you need to buy and where your priorities go. furthermore, are you on a $5k all carbon frame? you might want to prioritize a torque wrench to the top of your list then.

anyway, that's what i'd do (and what i did, in fact). figure out your needs and buy a handful of things now. try to buy nice stuff and purchase as your needs require. anything park, pedro's or lezyne will last you forever as a home mechanic.

FastforaSlowGuy
05-20-2014, 10:09 AM
I think everyone else has pretty much covered what to buy, but I'll chime in on how much to spend. I bought most of my tools as a poor grad student, when tool money came out of the food budget (which made me SUPER popular with my wife). The rules of thumb I had were: (1) spend money on things that cut or where slippage will cause very noticable damage, and (2) if you can buy it at a hardware store, it will be cheaper. Unless you wrench professionally, save some bucks on the rest. For example, get GOOD cable cutters (at a bike store) and a decent set of allens (at a hardware store). Save money on the chain whip. Spend on the BB tool (you'll curse all those gouges), save on the cassette tool (you'll never notice any gouges). A needle nose pliers can sub in for a lot of things, including a chain link tool, and I find is more precise than a third-hand cable tension tool. Most presses can be made for under $20 and 20 minutes hunting around a hardware store. I made a BB30 bearing press for $8 and it works MUCH better than the cheap Park one and equal to the really expensive park one. Try to avoid specialty tools that you won't use at least once every other month.

danielpack22@ma
05-20-2014, 10:34 AM
If you're dealing with any carbon parts, I'd recommend a torque wrench or Ritchey Torque key. I've seen way too many nearly new carbon parts "fail" after tightening "just a little bit more."

shovelhd
05-20-2014, 10:39 AM
If you're dealing with any carbon parts, I'd recommend a torque wrench or Ritchey Torque key. I've seen way too many nearly new carbon parts "fail" after tightening "just a little bit more."

I have a key, a 1/4" torque wrench, and a 3/8" torque wrench, and I use all three.

summilux
05-20-2014, 10:49 AM
Buy quality.

Cassette tool: Abbey Toolworks Crombie. Change your cassette without taking off the QR. Doubles as an excellent BB tool if you are Campy ST.
www.abbeybiketools.com/collections/best-sellers/products/dual-sided-crombie-tool
Wirecutters: Knipex is FAR FAR better than the Park. I bought mine from Home Depot.
http://www.knipex.com/index.php?id=1216&L=1&page=group_detail&parentID=1371&groupID=1438

Spinner
05-20-2014, 10:52 AM
… Bondhus T-handle hex wrenches. The weight of handles provide plenty of rotational inertia to quickly tighten or loosen bolts.

Cheers.

Clydesdale
05-20-2014, 11:12 AM
Never mind - they sold out

[On chainlove right now for under 200 bucks. Should have most of what you would need.]