PDA

View Full Version : OT: outdoor tunes

AngryScientist
05-18-2014, 07:34 PM
we just put in a nice outdoor patio, and the backyard is really a nice place to hang out now. as i'm sitting around my new fire pit, i recognize that i really need something better than listening to the old boombox in my garage that i can barely hear from the patio.

i can put a receiver in my shed and run some outdoor speakers, my concern is keeping it cheap, the landscaping budget is way overblown for the year, something very basic would fit the bill well for outside. ebay has lots of cheapo receivers, any input on what's decent for a budget and what i should avoid altogether.

the goal is very simple, listen to FM radio outside. is a budget of $200 for a receiver and 2 speakers out of the question for basic quality?

Anarchist
05-18-2014, 07:41 PM

AngryScientist
05-18-2014, 07:45 PM
Wifi and Bluetooth works really well outside.

You can pick up any Fm source you want on your phone, or computer, or tablet, stream it to a set of speakers with Bluetooth and you're done.

Wires are so 2010.

thanks for the suggestion, seriously.

but that is EXACTLY what i dont want to do. i want to go outside, flip a switch, and listen to music, not futz with my phone, tablet, whatever. just like the boombox in my garage. i flip on the lightswitch and the radio comes on, simple. that's what i want outside.

dogdriver
05-18-2014, 07:46 PM
A- Budget very reasonable, especially for outdoor sound-- not a huge amount of fidelity required.

B- Consider a Bluetooth speaker. No wire connections, listen to whatever you want pumped through your bluetooth transmitter (most smartphones / mp3 players do this). Lots of available brands, but Skullcandy has one (called the Pipe, I think) about the size of a soda can with great sound and well within your budget. Most can be powered by plug or battery.

Dired
05-18-2014, 07:49 PM
How about a shower radio? Weatherproof and one press on/off. I have a sony that gets really good FM reception.

bikerboy337
05-18-2014, 07:53 PM
I've got a ue mini boom that would be good for that purpose... I just stream from my phone... Have one on the first floor and one upstairs and just unplug and go... Also have one in my office to stream music all day....and tunein radio can get you any station you want if you go the radio route...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Echo
05-18-2014, 07:56 PM
The new Braven BRV-X is awesome for outdoor use (thats what its designed for). Its a bluetooth speaker, so Id just get an FM tuner for your phone.

It sounds fantastic, and is super rugged. Take a look at it. Its a few dollars over your limit, but would be worth it.

pbarry
05-18-2014, 08:06 PM
If you want old school--Advent and Bose used to make outdoor speakers, seen 'em on the bay and have a pair of the Advents. Find a receiver at a thrift store, win a speaker auction.. :hello:

shovelhd
05-18-2014, 08:42 PM
MTX makes a nice set of outdoor speakers. I sold quite a few of them. They sound 10x better than any fake rock speaker I've heard.

Vientomas
05-18-2014, 08:52 PM
I hope your neighbors share your musical taste. :)

AngryScientist
05-18-2014, 08:57 PM
I hope your neighbors share your musical taste. :)

nah, the idea is to have pretty low volume mellow music playing, background typed stuff, which is why i'm not too concerned about the equipment quality in general. i have a very decent living room set-up, but i'm not looking for anything special outside, just basic sound.

AngryScientist
05-18-2014, 08:57 PM
MTX makes a nice set of outdoor speakers. I sold quite a few of them. They sound 10x better than any fake rock speaker I've heard.

cool, will look into that.

thirdgenbird
05-18-2014, 09:11 PM
I'm looking at the same thing. I already scored a free amplifier and cd changers that will be placed in my garage. Plan is to put two speakers on channel A in the garage and two speakers on channel B on the back patio. I'm looking at Yamaha outdoor speakers. Reviews seem decent for the price.

Its old school, but I want to be able to leave a few discs in so is can simply turn it on and push play.

notsew
05-18-2014, 09:14 PM
I had the house wired for sound, patio included when the place was built. So not a lot of help on the receiver portion, we just use the Rotel that runs everything.

On the patio I bought some cheapo boat speakers from Dual http://www.westmarine.com/marine-speakers/dual--3-way-4-speakers--8657660.

They are not the most amazing sound, but I never turn them up loud. The biggest selling point is that they have made it three years on the weather side of the house and have had no problems. Pretty good for $35 speakers.