PDA

View Full Version : Boutique Component Makers

sspielman
02-15-2006, 08:02 AM
Okay....unless one puts forth a little effort as a consumer, the industry marketing types from the big companies will make sure that the average enthusiast is riding something like an Ultegra equipped Trek or Specialized with a plethora of proprietary secondary components. On the opposite side of the spectrum, there are still a decent number of very high quality boutique parts makers with great products to help fight the tide of impersonalisation. Here are a couple to start:
Marchisio: they make cassette cogs with loose cogs to enable complete customisation of ratios. The cogs are very light and are also convertible from one format to another.Their top range is "Aviotek".

FRM: They make a rather complete range of components including cranks, bb's, seatposts, stems etc. with an emphasis on light weight. their brakes appear to be a set of Zero Gravity calipers with some additional milling and hardware substitutions for even further weight reduction....

saab2000
02-15-2006, 08:23 AM
I also wish there were more variety. SRAM is coming out with a new groupset this year which promises to shake things up. But all is not lost. FSA has brought some things out and there are the odd makers of seatposts and bars like Thomson and Salsa who make quality products.

I was unaware of the Marchisio cogs. These sound interesting. I just bought a new (no ebay for this one....) Veloce 12-23 cassette for my new/used Serotta. I wish Campy made individual cogs more available.

Yeah, the marketing of the big companies is a big force. But the reason they want to bring out all these Ultegra-equipped bikes is because they can be done cheaply and to be honest, they work great for most folks. I don't like them, but for the average consumer who walks into a shop, it is what they want - a painless buying experience with zero tinkering. By nature I would guess that most people here do much of their own work. We have framebuilders here and wheel builders and many probably haven't seen the inside of a bike shop in years. But the average dude wants to buy a bike at a price point and ride away. The specialty makers of components will have a hard time to break into that market. Nor do they really want to.

DBRK probably has a word or two on this subject, given his appetite for non-mainstream bikes.

yeehawfactor
02-15-2006, 08:47 AM
But the reason they want to bring out all these Ultegra-equipped bikes is because they can be done cheaply and to be honest, they work great for most folks. I don't like them, but for the average consumer who walks into a shop, it is what they want - a painless buying experience with zero tinkering. By nature I would guess that most people here do much of their own work. We have framebuilders here and wheel builders and many probably haven't seen the inside of a bike shop in years. But the average dude wants to buy a bike at a price point and ride away. The specialty makers of components will have a hard time to break into that market. Nor do they really want to.

i agree. many riders do not obsess over bikes like everyone here does. many ride because they like it, many more ride because it's a part of a triathlon or because it's the only type of excercise their doctor will allow. for the vast majority of bikes purchased from me people just want components that work and that can be easily replaced when worn. for them, the ultegra trek or 105 specialized is great.

Frustration
02-15-2006, 09:20 AM
TISO,

www.cyclinginnovations.com

rear and front mechs
Cogs,
Head sets fromcarbon and Magnesium to standard
bolts of all kinds

TISO STORY ON PEZ (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=3709)

zap
02-15-2006, 09:21 AM
My current project will have one or two out of the ordinary items. One will be from FRM (not their brakes) and ZAP will be crafty on this one with one or two items.

I'm always looking for interesting stuff, but these days, it's hard to beat Campy and Shimano on reliability and function.

sspielman
02-15-2006, 10:04 AM
There are a couple of older companies that sustain themselves in the vein of a boutique maker..
Stronglight is one. They still make a pretty wide range of cranksets. Of special note is the Pulsion carbon fiber set that is extremely light and unique. They make a wide range of BB's that are noted for durability (keep this in mind the next time you wear out an ISIS BB!) They also have a pretty complete range of headsets with roller bearings...both threaded and threadless...
Specialities T. A. is another. They make a pretty wide range of cranksets (110 and 130 BCD) BB's, and a very interesting new threadless headset. They also offer a dizzying array of chainwheels in all sorts of sizes that C and S can't be bothered with. T.A. products are of a very high quality and their finish is without equal.

Too Tall
02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Can you put a sharper point on your issue? Curious.

sspielman
02-15-2006, 10:32 AM
Can you put a sharper point on your issue? Curious.

I have no specific point to make....It is much more of a brainstorming exercise to call attention to the fact that there are small, craftsmanlike component makers (not unlike framebuilders) who are able to persist despite the domination of the market by larger and larger companies...I think my interest in these companies stems from the fact that they tend to offer well crafted products that often solve a problem...

Too Tall
02-15-2006, 12:30 PM
Oh, in that case: Albert Bold. Seatposts todiefor and NOW he is making 31.6 Ti posts too! wow.

Grant McLean
02-15-2006, 12:39 PM
I consider the whole bike industry to be "boutique".

This "industry" is so inconsequencial to the exsistance of the economy,
it's a wonder any of the bike companies stay in business.
The bike "biz" is split into zillions slices and niches, any diaper company
outsells the largest bike players by 10,000 to 1 !

You'd have to look up the Forbes top 500,000 company list to bike a bike brand.

-g

sspielman
02-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Remember the Magic Motorcycle crankset/BB? Industrial-butt-ugly, but their design was fabulously well thought out. They were the prototype for many modern designs....oversized hollow arms.....oversized aluminum splined BB axle.....oversized external BB bearings....

Too Tall
02-15-2006, 01:32 PM
Grant - I have one word to burst your bubble: Schwinn

Grant McLean
02-15-2006, 02:38 PM
Grant - I have one word to burst your bubble: Schwinn

i tink someone already burst that bubble,
a couple-a-times maybe...

-g

manet
02-15-2006, 02:48 PM
Oh, in that case: Albert Bold. Seatposts todiefor and NOW he is making 31.6 Ti posts too! wow.

http://www.boldprecision.com/