PDA

View Full Version : My nephew 'implores' you to read this!

Tom
02-15-2006, 07:34 AM
Sorry, but to read this article you will need to make some kind of account with the New York Times. It is worth the effort though. Read the article, I implore!

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/02/05/sports/playmagazine/05robicpm.html?_r=1&pagewan&oref=slogin

What the article is about:

excerpts from the text

"Jure Robic, the Slovene soldier who might be the world’s best ultra-endurance athlete, lives in a small fifth-floor apartment near the railroad tracks in the town of Koroska Bela."

"Over the past two years, Robic, who is 40 years old, has won almost every race he has entered, including the last two editions of ultracycling’s biggest event, the 3,000-mile Insight Race Across America (RAAM). In 2004, Robic set a world record in the 24-hour time trial by covering 518.7 miles. Last year, he did himself one better, following up his RAAM victory with a victory six weeks later in Le Tour Direct, a 2,500-mile race on a course contrived from classic Tour de France routes."

"his ability to produce power and transport oxygen ranks on a par with those of many other ultra-endurance athletes. He wins for the most fundamental of reasons: he refuses to stop."

"In all decisions, Stanovnik governs according to a rule of thumb that he has developed over the years: at the dark moment when Robic feels utterly exhausted, when he is so empty and sleep-deprived that he feels as if he might literally die on the bike, he actually has 50 percent more energy to give."

"Interestingly — or unnervingly, depending on how you look at it — some researchers are uncovering evidence that Stanovnik’s rule of thumb might be right. A spate of recent studies has contributed to growing support for the notion that the origins and controls of fatigue lie partly, if not mostly, within the brain and the central nervous system. The new research puts fresh weight to the hoary coaching cliché: you only think you’re tired."

- Sorry about the url, but if this guy can do what he can do then you can write it down and type it in. Oop.. never mind, it looks like it worked

SGP
02-16-2006, 12:04 PM
i did read this article. it just reinforced the fact that i am a wimp!

BumbleBeeDave
02-16-2006, 12:12 PM
So this REALLY means that when your butt is receeding up the road on Lake Desolation Road as I gasp, sputter, and drool, my vision getting blurry, I really STILL have enough energy left to sprint past you on the 18% grade?

Wow. That's nice to know. Thanks! (Heh, heh, heh!)

BBD

csm
02-16-2006, 06:10 PM
this is what seperates the seals, rangers and force recon from the remf's.

e-RICHIE
02-16-2006, 06:20 PM

thr remf's are lame.
the pptc are the real deal biwfd yo.

bironi
02-16-2006, 07:16 PM
Tom,

I get the Times, but did not see this article. What date, and in what section please.

Thanks,
Byron

columbusslx
02-16-2006, 07:48 PM
Last Sunday, separate sports magazine.

bironi
02-16-2006, 08:21 PM
Appreciate the response slx.

Tom
02-17-2006, 06:38 AM
The best part is that it reinforces that we are not necessarily wimps, if we get ourselves fit we can do just about any thing we want. Last year I did one long ride of about 125 miles and toward the end I really began to feel uncomfortable and I thought I couldn't get anything going on the last few uphills. I'm beginning to think I was wrong. I'm figuring if I get off my *** and start doing any kind of real training this summer I can ride well through rides that long. They're the ones I really enjoy, and I'd like to be able to bunches of them. You really start to think you can when you read stuff like this.

William
02-17-2006, 06:51 AM

Rear Echelon Mo Fo's.....Read it YO!

Try this on for size.
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0786415576.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

William

ipsissimus
02-18-2006, 03:07 AM
That's quite a story. Thanks for posting it. It makes me wish I was still in, for the fitness benefits alone.

Of course, I never had a lot of time to ride. But I always saw plenty of pogues going out for rides. Maybe the pogues were smarter than I'd given them credit for.