PDA

View Full Version : Cinelli Imperial, leather Bar Tape?

Shortsocks
05-18-2014, 10:54 AM
So I've been stalking this imperial bartape that cinelli makes In the brown. I need to replace my shifter which means I'm going to need to replace my tape.....and unfortunately this tape has peaked back onto my radar.

Has anyone used this tape? It's kind of on the pricey side, even more than brooks actually where I've looked 35% at least more than brooks. I recently opened a set of brooks honey leather tape, and I was disappointed in the quality of the tape. For some reason it's not as nice as it used to be...looked kind of cheap. The saddles look fine though.

And what's the feeling on putting leather on modern bikes, aka carbon bikes? Don't see it often in these parts. Any reviews on this tape would be appreciated.

dave thompson
05-18-2014, 11:15 AM
I can't speak to the Cinelli leather bar tape as I've been using HandleBra for years on steel, alu, Ti and multiple carbon bikes. Don't overthink leather tape on whatever bike, it's not old-fashioned at all. No more so than cork tape. Buy the material you like.

Leather tape is expensive but I've successfully reused my HandleBra on multiple bikes and rewrapped multiple bars. I have the original HandleBra I purchased years ago still in use.

sokyroadie
05-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Have you tried one of our sponsors bar tapes? They are excellent quality leather, I have used it on every bike since it came out.

http://handlebra.com/

Jeff

firerescuefin
05-18-2014, 11:17 AM
Ali,

Handlebra....done.

I've had mine for 3 years and wrapped and re-wrapped numerous times with 0 issue. Money very well spent.

bluesea
05-18-2014, 11:20 AM
Can handlebra be wrapped flat instead of lumpy?

Shortsocks
05-18-2014, 11:23 AM
Ali,

Handlebra....done.

I've had mine for 3 years and wrapped and re-wrapped numerous times with 0 issue. Money very well spent.

Was that what you had when we rode? For some reason I didn't realize it was leather?