PDA

View Full Version : Interesting bike related shop in Portland

thenewguy11
05-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Any suggestions for bike related shop (not necessarily a LBS) in downtown Portland? Just looking to do some exploring.

cat6
05-17-2014, 05:41 PM
velo cult. not downtown but close enough.

dhalbrook
05-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Any suggestions for bike related shop (not necessarily a LBS) in downtown Portland? Just looking to do some exploring.

Boy, there are a number worth a look. Velo Cult, as mentioned. Downtown? West End bikes is nice, Bike Gallery is decent enough. Clever Cycles and Splendid Cycles just across the river are really interesting, especially if you're into city/cargo bikes. River City has a really nice vintage collection and some good high end stuff, Cyclepath on MLK carries some of the local builders (Breadwinner, for example).

Renovo does tours if you let them know you're coming; really neat to see a wood -bike factory.

Wow, the list is really long... this is just a smattering. Anything in particular you're looking for?

thenewguy11
05-17-2014, 07:16 PM
Nothing in particular - just enjoy bikes.

dhalbrook
05-17-2014, 07:25 PM
Nothing in particular - just enjoy bikes.

Looks like Chris King offers tours as well: http://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear/bikes-and-gear-features/chris-king-factory-tour

thenewguy11
05-18-2014, 08:21 PM
West End had a nice 50th anniversary group on display. That was pretty cool.

PacNW2Ford
05-18-2014, 09:57 PM
velo cult. not downtown but close enough.

And you can take the MAX light rail from downtown to the Hollywood station, an easy few blocks walking from there.

kevinvc
05-19-2014, 02:23 PM
It really depends on what your intention is. Velo Cult has the awsomest people in the business and several great beers on tap, but is very limited in the amount of stock they keep on hand. Fat Tire Farm specializes in mountain bikes. Citybikes is a worker-owned collective that has some good used stuff. Cycle Path specializes in the really high end stuff. River City has a large selection of everything from commuter transportation to racing bikes. Gladys Bikes is a cool small local shop that goes out of its way to be comfortable and appealing to women and has a fantastic saddle "library" program that lets you try out seats before committing to one. Reveolver has a relatively small in-store selection, but sells some good brands and will order anything in any of their lines that you want.

I could go on and on (and on and on), but your specific needs will dictate the "best" shop for you. PM me if you'd like to discuss further.

PJN
05-19-2014, 03:16 PM
Pbs.

cnighbor1
05-19-2014, 04:10 PM
did you do the tour and whats your opinion of their frames?
''Renovo does tours if you let them know you're coming; really neat to see a wood -bike factory.''
charles

joosttx
05-19-2014, 04:12 PM
Mary's

thenewguy11
05-19-2014, 09:39 PM
I only had a hour or so before I "had" to visit the Deschutes brewery. So I'll have to save some of these suggestions for the next trip. Thanks all.