PDA

View Full Version : B&M Luxos U USB charging Issue

johngmartin
05-17-2014, 12:31 PM
I have a question for anyone familiar with the B&M Luxos U...

I bought a Busch & Muller LUXOS U 179U (http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/b&m-hl.asp) (the one with the front light and the USB charger) to go with my dynamo front hub (Shimano DH-3N80) last week to use on an upcoming tour. Seems like a great light, the installation was simple, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be letting me use the USB charge function.

The light itself works on all the settings, so I know its getting power, and handlebar USB button works to control the front light fine. But when the light is turned off, even after riding around for a while, I never get the red LED that lets me know the charging setting is available. I tried plugging in my Garmin 800 (with the updated firmware) to it regardless, and over the course of a 20 mile ride it never once got power.

Am I missing something dumb? Something wrong with the setup? I did some googleing with no luck, and like I said, everything else seems to be working fine with the light. I know the light isn't fully distributed in the US yet, but has anyone had this problem before?

oddsaabs
05-17-2014, 02:54 PM
Doesn't sound right to me. If the little red light on the bar switch isn't coming on then I'd say the internal cache battery probably isn't taking a charge. I'd try contacting the seller and speak with them about a replacement. I bought mine over a year and a half ago from Peter White. When it needed to be replaced due to a blinking problem they took it back without any issue and sent me a new one without issue. It's a fantastic light. Best beam pattern I've ever seen. The USB charging thing is just a bonus!

ptourkin
05-17-2014, 05:50 PM
Same happened to me. I bought it from Rivendell, but Peter White handled the warranty. It took about a week total to get a new one out to California. I got the new one yesterday.

Besides losing the red led for usb charge, I lost the big wide beam. I suspect it was due to the standing battery not holding a charge, as stated.