PDA

View Full Version : touring bike racks

yeehawfactor
02-14-2006, 11:24 PM
friend is building up his cIII touring bike. what pannier systems should he be checking out? also, how about rad fenders? thanks!

wanderingwheel
02-15-2006, 01:24 AM
I've got Jandd bags and racks on my touring bike and couldn't be happier. The Nitto racks that Rivendell sells are also very nice, as are Bruce Gordon's. I especially like the way that Bruce's racks are tilted inward at the top. I've heard good things about Tubus and Old Man Mountain also, but I have no experience with them. On the front rack, I prefer mid-mount racks so that I have a platform on top if needed and I don't scrape my bags in turns, but I still have good handling similar to low-riders.

I prefer top-loading panniers, but if I was to buy new bags today I would look very hard at Bruce's new line, far and away the best panel-loading panniers I've seen. I have had problems with spring-mounted panniers. Even though they are faster to put on and take off, I prefer a more secure and robust connection. Also be warry of oversized panniers; they just encourage overpacking and ruin the handling of a properly loaded touring bike. After a week or two of experience, those large panniers will be mostly empty. I've never felt a need for waterproof panniers, either.

billrick
02-15-2006, 04:39 AM
Arkel panniers. Love mine.

yeehawfactor
02-15-2006, 10:45 AM
thanks, word has been passed along

Serotta_Andrew
02-15-2006, 10:55 AM
Arkel panniers. Love mine.

Arkel panniers are fabulous!!!!!

jerk
02-15-2006, 11:01 AM
Arkel panniers are fabulous!!!!!

listen to this man. he knows touring better than the jerk knows being a jerk!

jerk

PeterW
02-15-2006, 11:22 AM
Arkel panniers are fabulous. The company is fabulous. The quality is fabulous.

But, IMHO, too many specific pockets and compartments on the nicer models. Like a huge vertical pocket for a sleeping mattress? Well, fine on a camping trip with a bedroll, but useless for other touring. I've often camped without a foam mattress. Take a tour of the features of the bags on the website. Too much.

I have their handlebar bag (on my Maropisa randonneur). I find it too heavy. Three pounds, unloaded. Something like that. I great looking product by a great company. But I leave it at home most of the time.

Arkel makes some simple bags. I'd go in that direction.

I use panniers often, and like simple bags. I have a simple Bruce Gordon set that match perfectly to his racks. The folks I know that tour the most (I mean all over the world) rave about their Ortlieb top loaders (sure there are pros and cons about waterproof bags, but they love them).

As for racks, Bruce Gordon's racks are perfect. One of bikedom's nicest things. Simple, small, and look great (if properly sized and set up). Cool fender strut mounts. He offers a bunch of different sizes (not just one or two like most companies). Some complaint about the rear rack not being long enough. Baloney.

Hey, it's easy to have too much cr*p on the bike. Simple racks and bags means you leave the TV at home.

Bradford
02-15-2006, 11:56 AM
The first question, as always, is what does you friend mean by touring? Equipment choice will vary widely between the guy who is going unsupported for weeks at a time and the guy who is using a credit card or doing a supported tour. If your buddy is getting a CIII, my guess is that he is in the latter catagory.

My comments are for unsupported touring, 'cause that's what I do.

Racks: I've used Blackburns, Jandds, and now Tubus. The Blackburn rear is great, the low riders didn't stand up. The Jandd rear rack if fantastic, still my favorite touring rack. The Tubus racks are light, strong, and look sharp.

Panniers: I did thousands of loaded touring miles on simple Performance panniers way back when and they were fine. I picked up a pair of Jandds in Jackson Hole and they are all I will ever need. I have some Maddens on the front I've had for 15 years and they are still perfect. I also have toured with someone who has Ortliebs and I was impressed. I can imagine the waterproof part would come in handy eventually. You really can't go wrong with any of the top brands.

Fenders: Rad fenders? Why? Working bikes should have working parts, Planet Bike will do you just fine.

For supported touring, I'd go with anything light and somewhat dependable, but not the heavy weight stuff. Tubus racks and medium-sized backs.

Serotta_Andrew
02-15-2006, 12:05 PM
[QUOTE=PeterW]Arkel panniers are fabulous. The company is fabulous. The >quality is fabulous.

>But, IMHO, too many specific pockets and compartments on the nicer >models. Like a huge vertical pocket for a sleeping mattress? Well, fine on a >camping trip with a bedroll, but useless for other touring. I've often camped >without a foam mattress. Take a tour of the features of the bags on the >website. Too much.

>I have their handlebar bag (on my Maropisa randonneur). I find it too >heavy. Three pounds, unloaded. Something like that. I great looking >product by a great company. But I leave it at home most of the time.

>Arkel makes some simple bags. I'd go in that direction.

A little FYI, most of those large pockets can be taken off the bags for lighter or weekend trips; ie the thermarest pocket comes off in 5 seconds.... and the handlebar bags are on the durable heavier side but they make a smaller version again for the smaller tour or rides which is light

PeterW
02-15-2006, 01:19 PM
Great Correction Of My Post!