PDA

View Full Version : It's Here! Zion-Bryce Canyon Tour

jmeloy
05-17-2014, 10:38 AM
So I take off at 2:20 for a 6 day tour of the above with Bicycle Adventures. 13 people, 6 days, ~250-300 miles. Don't know a single one of them. Went with BA on a similar tour last July down the coast out of Portland and had a great time. Never seen this part of the country. Forecast is 70-85 and dry for the entire week.

Not sure I've ever needed a vacation more than I do right now. Will post up some pics for the gang. Cheers!!

moose8
05-17-2014, 10:47 AM
Nice - enjoy! That part of the world is stunningly beautiful. If you get the chance to do any hikes you definitely should.

CunegoFan
05-17-2014, 11:15 AM
Nice - enjoy! That part of the world is stunningly beautiful. If you get the chance to do any hikes you definitely should.

Ya. Climb Angels Landing if you get the chance. Incredible hike.

http://cdn2.blog.nileguide.com/destination/blog/bryce-canyon-national-park/files/2011/04/ZionAngelsLandingSpine.jpg

zmudshark
05-17-2014, 11:35 AM
My favorite part of the USA, have a great time, and HYDRATE!

dogdriver
05-17-2014, 11:53 AM
Sweet. Awesome ride. Never done a tour, but have ridden in that area a good bit. The Boulder Hwy near Escalante is surreal, hope you get that far east. For the geek in you, internet is limited to the towns in the area, make use of wifi when you have it available and report often!

cnighbor1
05-17-2014, 12:31 PM
Zion canyon is a great bike up to the end At the end if you have a day off you can hike up the Canyon / river You need shoes or sandals you don't mind getting soaked. there is a pile of lonest sticks. grab one has you will need it has you wade across river from side to side It is a wonderful hike to see the canyon walls has they close in on you and all the wonderful reddish colors
allow for heat and has the sun comes out behind a wall
I got really hot once and had to stop at a rest area. Than I remembered I had on my sleeveless poly pro t-shirt under my jersey on for cool mornings but now high 80's Once I took it off I was fine
There are some wonderful roads and climbs in that area I did 7 days on an organized tour. got over 10,000 feet than on the way down a stiff cross wind didn't help
enjoy
charles

victoryfactory
05-17-2014, 12:40 PM
Most beautiful part of the country!
enjoy. Take photos. Post 'em here.
VF

exapkib
05-17-2014, 01:22 PM
I am so jealous--one of my very favorite places in the whole world. Can't wait for photos and ride reports!

I'm in the early stages of planning a trip along the Burr Trail--driven it many times, but never ridden it.

jmeloy
05-17-2014, 01:41 PM
Charles, the hike in the river shallows is included in our intinerary. My knees are crappy for hiking but going to do it.

Zion canyon is a great bike up to the end At the end if you have a day off you can hike up the Canyon / river You need shoes or sandals you don't mind getting soaked. there is a pile of lonest sticks. grab one has you will need it has you wade across river from side to side It is a wonderful hike to see the canyon walls has they close in on you and all the wonderful reddish colors
allow for heat and has the sun comes out behind a wall
I got really hot once and had to stop at a rest area. Than I remembered I had on my sleeveless poly pro t-shirt under my jersey on for cool mornings but now high 80's Once I took it off I was fine
There are some wonderful roads and climbs in that area I did 7 days on an organized tour. got over 10,000 feet than on the way down a stiff cross wind didn't help
enjoy
charles

stev0
05-17-2014, 01:47 PM
did an amazing multi-day trip from moab to zion last year. would recommend climbing up to Boulder (Hell's Backbone Grill is a must-stop for food) and the Grand Staircase in Escalante if you can venture out. so much good stuff! looking forward to your photos.

Tandem Rider
05-17-2014, 02:38 PM
I had the opportunity to experience "The Narrows" about 25 years ago. It's another one of Ma's incredible works of art. It's not a hard hike, just wet. Do not miss it.

Take lots of pics.

soulspinner
05-18-2014, 06:12 AM
Unwind and have fun. What bike ya gonna be on?

djg
05-18-2014, 09:20 AM
Crazy beautiful part of the country -- enjoy.