PDA

View Full Version : OT: San Diego Fires

Ken Robb
05-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Leslie and I live within 1/2 mile of the beach so we really were not threatened at all but lots of our friends were in areas of concern with some being evacuated. I think they all came through unscathed.

The really great thing about this time was how well-coordinated all the efforts of MANY different civilian departments from all over SoCal plus military units. When weather predictions called for hot,dry,windy conditions early in the week the authorities began moving fire-fighting people and equipment into the area. There is now a unified computer system that shows the location of all units in real time and allows text orders for repositioning any/all assets. In the past different units used different radios/phones/computers and coordination was very difficult. Kudos to all the people involved in the planning and implementation of these efforts. All things considered the damage was minimal for so many wide-spread fires. Without all the improvements in systems it would have been much worse.

Louis
05-16-2014, 09:33 PM
That's good news, but unfortunately stiffer challenges probably lie ahead.

Ken Robb
05-16-2014, 11:56 PM
That's good news, but unfortunately stiffer challenges probably lie ahead.

What do you think we should watch for?

Louis
05-17-2014, 01:05 AM
Ken, I'm not sure I understand your question.

All I know is what I read in the news - we're still very early in the fire season, and things are more than likely to get worse. I assume they're saying the same thing where you live.

BirkWinn
05-17-2014, 02:33 AM
Being so close to both the Carlsbad and San Marcos fires I am so glad we had the help of so many awesome people to help out. I too think we are in store for more of the same and worst since the true "fire season" hasn't even started. Especially since I think more than one of these 9 fires were started intentionally

oldpotatoe
05-17-2014, 07:13 AM

All I know is what I read in the news - we're still very early in the fire season, and things are more than likely to get worse. I assume they're saying the same thing where you live.

When I lived in Rancho Bernardo and Camarillo, seems like fires around the surrounding hills were a regular event. Saw fires in both places...emailed with some of the guys at Campagnolo NA and seems they are all OK, just some haven't been able to return home yet....most are back east for the 'Grand Fondo'..

http://granfondony.com/

AngryScientist
05-17-2014, 07:20 AM
There is now a unified computer system that shows the location of all units in real time and allows text orders for repositioning any/all assets.

This country has come a very long way in combating natural and other disasters. it's a testament to all the men and women who have helped to institute NIMS (national incidnt management system), on which all, or almost all incident management teams are based. it's a pretty concise standard of who's in charge, and who can allocate resources. previously, a power struggle between municipalities and other agencies would cripple rescue and management efforts, through nothing but good intentions. that system flaw has been seen and the gap closed. we are a better, more prepared country for it.

stay safe to all of you out there.

wasfast
05-17-2014, 07:45 AM
I wasn't here yet for the 2007 fires in North County but seeing the Bernardo fire (the first of the bunch this year) start less than 6 miles west of me was a bit sobering.

It does appear that firefighters were pretty successful overall. Only 1 life lost and a moderate number of structures. Given the 8 fires and large amount of area burned, this is actually a pretty good outcome.

Air quality was terrible yesterday morning but today has cleared a lot. Glad to have more normal temperature return.

I rode on Thursday at noon, Garmin 500 reported 123.6F at one point. The Garmin is in direct sun and thus overreports roughly 10F but still, it was hot.

Ken Robb
05-17-2014, 09:58 AM

I just thought when you wrote "stiffer challenges" you might have some info/insight on non-obvious threats.

Mattbotak
05-17-2014, 02:13 PM
On Thursday smoke was over house and ash was falling so we decided to play it safe and leave. Fire fighters did an incredible job of protecting so many homes. Got back today and all is clear. Very fortunate given morons were lighting fires in the park a mile a way from the house.

ptourkin
05-17-2014, 05:57 PM
My thoughts go out to everyone impacted. I've never seen a May like this in San Diego. This is usually an early fall thing. I was out on the Great Western Wednesday and got 118 (more than 10f high) on my Garmin and there were gusts between 30-40 mph going up the wall. Not much smoke in the air down here but lots of dirt. Did Honey Springs, reverse GWL, Alpine today and things have calmed down but still much hotter than average for May. It's going to be a scary season and it could easily last 'till winter.

Louis
05-17-2014, 06:17 PM
Very fortunate given morons were lighting fires in the park a mile a way from the house.

Between the idiots who barbecue, or toss lit cigarettes out of the car, or whatever under those conditions, and the psychopaths who do it purposely to try to burn everything down, a not insignificant amount of the fires are due to direct human causes. Not sure how many, but there are always a few.