PDA

View Full Version : trainers

Kines
02-14-2006, 09:39 PM
Well, after 3 decades of cycling (I was avid even in childhood) and nearly two decades competitively, I have finally decided to consider a stationary trainer. I'm sure a few of you wouldn't mind telling me your favorite model and why.

I used rollers for a few years off and on, but I just couldn't work out indoors. I've always been of the mindset that I can get a better workout riding my MTB in circles in the yard in two feet of snow at 10 degrees F and 11pm, if I have to, than on a stupid trainer in the basement. But I'm getting older, and this active recovery stuff in the sports medicine literature is making sense. Also, I dusted off the rollers the other night, and I'm too old for that, too!

TIA
KN

Frustration
02-14-2006, 09:42 PM
How nuch do you want to spend?

Computrainer is a nice unit... But so is a basic Elite Fluid. I like Fluids that are adjustable from Elite and I also Like the tacx base level unit. several now how power (they are not accurate but are consistent, so you can at least know you're progress and changes in resistance

dirtdigger88
02-14-2006, 09:47 PM
another option- assuming you have good rollers

http://www.bikyle.com/images/KreitStand.jpg

these stands go for $90 or so- you could use your rollers you already have- for the same money what ever trainer you buy wont be so hot unless you get a good deal on a used one-

Jason

H.Frank Beshear
02-14-2006, 09:50 PM
I've got a fork stand works well gives me a place to rest my foot for on legged drills. Makes it harder to fall off the rollers to :D Frank

Kines
02-14-2006, 09:51 PM
How nuch do you want to spend?

Yeah, I shoulda thought of that - the only limit I would put on it is the concern that it would end up beside my rollers. I dunno - let's say $300?

93legendti
02-14-2006, 10:00 PM
I've had my Tacx (spell? -- can't recall off hand!) for 3 seasons now after my Cateye wore out. I've ridden on the Tacx (Taxc?) at least 300 times with out any problems and would strongly recommend it. I'll get the model name and number for you and post it tommorow after my girls awaken.

Louis
02-14-2006, 10:15 PM
Kines,

An alternative to Jason's metal support is for you to buy yourself a few 2x4's, one of those sawhorse end-fitting deals at the hardware store, cut the 2x4's to the correct length and bolt one of these fork mount deals to the top. Nearly all the catalog places carry them ($15 and less) and your LBS should have them also.

Back in my foolish years when I tried to do rollers inside I did this (and it works quite well), but my brain turned to mush, so I don't ride indoors anymore. I stick to the indoor rower.

Louis

dirtdigger88
02-15-2006, 07:37 AM
or you could just ride your rollers-

honestly trainers suck- a bike moves under you while you ride- it wiggles so to speak- I dont care how stiff you bike is - they all do it-

trainers lock that movement- so the bike no longer moves with you as you pedal-

THATS why you go numb- have to stand- get bored- HATE TRAINERS SO MUCH

yes rolles are just as boring- just not as numbing-

just a thought

Jason

Kevin
02-15-2006, 07:50 AM
I use a Kurt Kinetic that I am happy with.

Kevin

stevep
02-15-2006, 08:13 AM
ive ridden rollers for 30 years during the winter to maintain a little fitness and sweat some. this year i picked up a fluid trainer from minoura and added that to the workout. i ride 35 minutes on the trainer and add 25 on the rollers to cool down and smooth out the trainer legs.
its a nice workout and adds a little power to just the roller ride.
mush better i think that freezing my *** off outside on a cold windy day.
once you focus on the approaching spring... it does not even feel that bad.
rollers are also great to ride for 15-20 minutes after a cold winter ride to warm core temperature back up...

Elmer
02-15-2006, 08:20 AM
The Kinetic Road Machine is a great indoor training tool. Mate it with a few Spinnerval DVD's and away you go.
http://www.kurtkinetic.com/images/Road%20Machine%20Home.gif http://www.spinervals.com/images/products/SPIN-Str5.jpg

Mud
02-15-2006, 08:35 AM
they work well. We use the Computrainer. Since there are two of us it usually is a race with certain courses suiting her strengths and others mine. In that way we don't get bored.

But I will agree with DDigger on the numbness. Last night's ride included a 7 mile climb that was between a 7% & 9% grade most of the way. My Brooks saddle is great outdoors but being seated and spinning that long is just hard on the parts.

I doubt if you are older than I am-could be. But I like the features of the trainer with the readouts and spin analysis. WE really try to get better and it helps. When we get the chance to go out the MPH seem higher and the climbs easier. But the best part is that outside is far more enjoyable and becomes the reward for training.

Bruce

sc53
02-15-2006, 09:09 AM
I bought the 2006 model of the CycleOps Fluid trainer to use while my broken arm heals and so far it's been fine. I don't ride it for more than 45 mins though, too boring and stupid.

Trouble
02-15-2006, 05:06 PM
I've been using a Kurt Kinetics for about 16 months and I am very happy with it.
The one legged drills have helped me greatly. The Spinervals helps a lot too.
I've turned on a couple of friends to this trainer and they too are happy.

ipsissimus
02-18-2006, 03:32 AM
Most will be partial to the kind of trainer that they use, which says somethig about the quality of everything out there. It would be hard to go wrong, really.

I ride a Tacx trainer and am partial to that. The design holds the bike securely, but not rigidly. It has a little bit of spring, which makes a big difference.

The inertia of the heavy flywheel is also nice. It will help keep the rear wheel spinning for a little if you stop pedaling. It's not exactly like coasting on the road, but it does help to create a more natural pedaling feel than an average trainer.

Make no mistake, though, it is still a trainer and in no way a road-riding simulator. But it is a little different than the typical trainer. Also, the resistance settings can be mighty.

Enjoy your trainer, whichever one you choose. I think it's fun to ride. After all, you have to do something when the skate skis are in the hotbox.

victork
02-18-2006, 08:32 PM
I've used the cyclops fluid and this 1-up. The 1-up offers much more range of difficulty and works great. Here is a link.

http://www.1upusa.com/bike_trainer.html

Larry D
02-19-2006, 10:22 AM
My vote would go to the Kurt Kinetic trainer. Recently acquired one. I have used trainers from Minoura and Blackburn and find that the Kurt is very well made, heavier duty and stable.

Also, the customer service from Kurt Kinetic is outstanding. I am having a problem with thier Power COmputer. I emailed their Customer Service Department and within 15 minutes I had a reply with a replacement being sent out to me. :banana:

PaulE
02-19-2006, 01:33 PM
Have had the Kurt for 3 years, the only trainer I've ever owned. It is well made, very stable and the resistance is great. I like it and have recommended it to others who also like it. I also have their power computer. The watts are just speed or average speed times a factor - every 1 mph of average speed is about 9.5 - 10 watts, and it doesn't have cadence. This computer also takes a battery that when it went after less than a year, had me go to about 5 stores to find one. Finally found one at a jewelry store that replaces watch batteries. If you want a computer on your trainer, just get one that has rear wheel speed pickup and cadence.

Samster
02-19-2006, 02:18 PM
I use a CycleOps Magneto. It's fine. But Dirt hit it... trainers suck and they make you go numb. period.

On top of that, I can't imagine they're very good for your frame either.

Depending on what kind of injury or ailment you're recovering from, I think something like Louis' indoor rower is more attractive... total body workout and all that.

But if you must ride a trainer, I like the CycleOps just fine. They're all pretty good, really. Just stay away from the el-cheapo fluid stuff as some of them (like my old Tacx -- it was yellow) leak and will ruin your carpet beyond repair (or cleaning.)

Rover-Rich
02-19-2006, 04:56 PM
Ok, my two cents.

The Kurt is good, it is smooth, quiet and provides good resistance. It is the best feeling trainer that I have used and combined with Spinervals you'll get a good workout. Here is the catch, your form will go to hell!! You and your bike are fixed, you'll get bad habits and when you do get out on the road you may be stronger but you'll also be sloppier.

My opinion is if you really want to simulate riding and training indoors, you need rollers. Get on the rollers and you'll really see how much you suck!! Well at least that't what I found out. My recent experience proved this as I just got a new set of rollers and despite being on the Kurt for the majority of the winter, getting on the rollers sure was a self effacing moment.

Dirtdigger was right, indoor training sucks, but rollers suck less. If you really want to get strong and develope good form, do the rollers, no question! Just my opinion... :beer: