PDA

View Full Version : I get it now...

Ti Designs
05-16-2014, 04:17 AM
I was coached by John Allis for 20 years, in that time I had seen him do things I didn't think were possible, and yet I saw him do them. John was the first american bike racer to make an impact in europe, he was known as the american who refused to drop out of the 64 olympic road race, and he went on to win a couple races in France which really pissed them off. While I had seen John years before at Mt Washington, I met the man in the late 80's when I started working at Wheelworks. John had retired from racing and started coaching the Harvard cycling team. John was NOT an imposing figure on the bike, always dressed in wool and wearing suspenders, he looked more like a history professor than a national cycling champion. And then there was his age - we were kids at the time, John seemed kinda old. So imagine how confused we were when we did a 4 man team time trial practice and the old guy rode next to us the whole time, watching and telling us what to do. I remember one of the hammer rides (the fast mid-week ride) when one of the riders got dropped and John went back to pace them back in. I thought to myself there are 5 strong kids taking pulls, there's no way he's bringing anyone back on his own. Yet every time I rotated back I looked, and John was a little closer. When I started coaching the Harvard team I asked him about it, he said he never really gave it any thought - the job is coaching, you do what you need to do.

Yesterday I was working with a rider on climbing steep stuff out of the saddle. The real test of technique is Walcott Street, a short 29% section of pavement that just looks wrong - how does the pavement even stay there??? I rode up that steep section in coaching mode, talking to my rider and keeping him on the clean section of pavement, without thinking about what I was riding up myself. Once again, things John said start to make sense, years later...

parris
05-16-2014, 08:29 AM
VERY cool story and message. Thanks for sharing.

leftyfreak
05-16-2014, 09:20 AM
I guess turning 50 isn't all that bad!

The best teachers and their wisdom stay with us for years after they share their knowledge with us. And it's a beautiful thing how we can keep learning from them long after. I'd like to get the opportunity to meet John some day...

merlinmurph
05-16-2014, 11:01 AM
You bring up John's name every once in awhile. I really want to meet the guy some day.

Where's Walcott St?

Thanks for the story.

eippo1
05-16-2014, 05:39 PM
Having tried to ride that and failed miserably, this does impress. I had the slightest hesitation and went over. I can't imagine doing it while concentrating on someone else.

Sent from my PM23300 using Tapatalk

fiamme red
05-16-2014, 06:06 PM
Where's Walcott St?This?

http://goo.gl/maps/PwdNi

I own an old cycling cap signed by John Allis.

pbarry
05-16-2014, 06:18 PM
John is one of the people who make cycling a great sport. From the national team for how many years? To coach, shop owner and lifelong daily rider. :beer:

We used to crcross paths on our commutes, usually around Arlington on Mass Ave. He'd always nod or wave, which always made my day.

Mark McM
05-16-2014, 06:46 PM
This?

http://goo.gl/maps/PwdNi

I'm pretty sure he means Wolcott Rd. in Woburn:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.476212,-71.161609,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sIm_-eCWHw7xYm6ZmfHCFQQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

About the steepest piece of road I've seen pavement on. When descending, you can accelerate from 0 to 40 mph in about 100 yds.

And yes, John Allis is an awesome guy, who has given back much to the Boston bike racing community.

Ti Designs
05-16-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm pretty sure he means Wolcott Rd. in Woburn:

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.476212,-71.161609,3a,75y,180h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sIm_-eCWHw7xYm6ZmfHCFQQ!2e0!6m1!1e1

Yeh, that's the one, 'cept you need to take StreetView all the way up the hill to get a good sense of it. Just keep hitting the forward arrow. Most hills look like nothing on a computer screen, Wolcott looks like a wall. And yet it still doesn't make it into the top 10 in San Fran...

leftyfreak
05-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Yeh, that's the one, 'cept you need to take StreetView all the way up the hill to get a good sense of it. Just keep hitting the forward arrow. Most hills look like nothing on a computer screen, Wolcott looks like a wall. And yet it still doesn't make it into the top 10 in San Fran...

If you go almost all the way to the top and turn the view to the left a little bit, you can compare the angle of the road surface to the rock ledge that's been graded flat to serve as parking area. Ridiculous.

Ti Designs is being modest, by the way. He rode up Wolcott twice...

bking
05-16-2014, 07:51 PM
great little story, thank you. and he does look like the little professor:
http://john-s-allen.com/galleries/bossummit/slides/IMG_2038Allis.html

Ti Designs
05-20-2014, 08:14 AM
5x up Wolcott this morning, looked something like this...

leftyfreak
05-20-2014, 08:16 AM

And you didn't tell me this was on the program today?

bobswire
05-20-2014, 08:40 AM

Open up a coffee shop at the top and make it a cycling destination. That is why we have so many coffee shops in San Francisco. :)
Neat story and your history with John Allis.

shovelhd
05-20-2014, 09:01 AM
Nice choice of shoes. How did you take the picture?

John Allis was a local legend when I was racing in the early 80's. I can't remember if I ever met him but what you say about him sounds familiar.

leftyfreak
05-20-2014, 09:14 AM
Open up a coffee shop at the top and make it a cycling destination. That is why we have so many coffee shops in San Francisco. :)
Neat story and your history with John Allis.

When we rode up it last week there was a hot dog/sausage cart parked at the top, but it wasn't open. We weren't impressed!

eippo1
05-20-2014, 09:49 AM
When we rode up it last week there was a hot dog/sausage cart parked at the top, but it wasn't open. We weren't impressed!

What you don't know is that they get the cart down by surfing on top of it. The real trick, though, is getting it to stop before they hit Pleasant St. :eek:

johngmartin
05-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Amazing and inspiring story, thanks for sharing! And a good piece of writing too!

I will have to check out Wolcott St one of these days, since it is in my playground. One of my favorite local walls is Waltham and Ridge St in Woburn (known as the "Ripper" on Strava (http://www.strava.com/segments/644971)). I usually tie it in with a Johnson Rd climb and a spin down the Mystic Valley Parkway for a great 20 mile evening ride. The segment for Wolcott (http://www.strava.com/segments/1695425) makes it look as great as you describe!

wooly
05-20-2014, 10:09 AM
Ti Designs - I wish you were local to me so that you could whoop my a$$ and make me a better cyclist. Nice write up.

leftyfreak
05-20-2014, 10:52 AM
Ti Designs - I wish you were local to me so that you could whoop my a$$ and make me a better cyclist. Nice write up.

He'll whoop your a-- if necessary but usually he focuses on making you a better rider...sometimes those go hand in hand.

Ti Designs
05-20-2014, 11:25 AM
Amazing and inspiring story, thanks for sharing! And a good piece of writing too!

I will have to check out Wolcott St one of these days, since it is in my playground. One of my favorite local walls is Waltham and Ridge St in Woburn (known as the "Ripper" on Strava (http://www.strava.com/segments/644971)). I usually tie it in with a Johnson Rd climb and a spin down the Mystic Valley Parkway for a great 20 mile evening ride. The segment for Wolcott (http://www.strava.com/segments/1695425) makes it look as great as you describe!

I started my morning with a group from Winchester known as the Rippers. I'm working with one of the two women who signed up for the B2B with those guys. Their ride finishes up at the top of "the Ripper". From there I headed over to Wolcott with the plan of doing 6 climbs. I started to struggle on the 5th time. At 29% it's not something you really want to try if there's a chance you're not going to make it. (yes Ian, I was damn sure you were getting up that, I was 2 feet behind you). From there I headed over to Horn Pond Mountain, an almost paved path that climbs to the highest point in the area, with a great view of the Boston skyline. From there I hit Johnson road, but there's this great climb in the residential area near the golf course that I took on my way home. It's got maybe 6 turns, but all you need to know is to always go up...

We should put together a Boston area ride. Everyone has their little known gem of a road, we could string together a dozen of them, then fire up the grill at my house.

sandyrs
05-20-2014, 12:11 PM
I started my morning with a group from Winchester known as the Rippers. I'm working with one of the two women who signed up for the B2B with those guys. Their ride finishes up at the top of "the Ripper". From there I headed over to Wolcott with the plan of doing 6 climbs. I started to struggle on the 5th time. At 29% it's not something you really want to try if there's a chance you're not going to make it. (yes Ian, I was damn sure you were getting up that, I was 2 feet behind you). From there I headed over to Horn Pond Mountain, an almost paved path that climbs to the highest point in the area, with a great view of the Boston skyline. From there I hit Johnson road, but there's this great climb in the residential area near the golf course that I took on my way home. It's got maybe 6 turns, but all you need to know is to always go up...

We should put together a Boston area ride. Everyone has their little known gem of a road, we could string together a dozen of them, then fire up the grill at my house.

Count me in if that happens. I've only lived in the area since the fall but would love to try to contribute to a route as well.

Mark McM
05-20-2014, 01:16 PM

This sounds like its around the neighborhood where our club (Northeast Bicycle Club) does our weekly Wednesday Night Hill Ride:

http://www.strava.com/activities/7367366

The first of the 5 main hills is "the Ripper", and includes one of the biggest hills in the northwest suburbs (Eastern Avenue, Arlington). If we're still feeling frisky, sometimes we detour over to Wolcott St. on the way back.

shovelhd
05-20-2014, 01:56 PM
I'd head east for a ride/cookout.