PDA

View Full Version : What to ride when I'm 300 pounds.

Rouleur88
05-15-2014, 11:58 PM
After living through a year of divorce, cancer, heart attack, and Breaking Bad ending, I'm trying to take that first step towards recovering my health.
My question is, what kind of frame should I look for to sustain my weight as I go from 300 pounds now to a goal of 200? I am 56, 6'4" and will be doing, eventually, long training rides with no racing. I understand Wheels will be crucial to withstanding the stress my weight will convey but I worry, at this extreme, if the frame material should be of concern too.
My plan is to treat myself to a custom titanium frame when I near the end of my weight loss goal. I need to purchase something "off the rack" for right now and get the first mile behind me. Any suggestions and thoughts will be appreciated.

dpk501
05-16-2014, 12:02 AM
No suggestions but just wanted to say that it awesome that you're getting on the bike and throwing out your goal. Kudos!

Bantamben
05-16-2014, 12:02 AM
I'd just get any aluminum bike off the rack in the 800$ range (allez) it will be strong ride nice be a little heavy but obviously that won't matter much and the resale value would be good when you decide to move on.

cetuximab
05-16-2014, 12:06 AM
The wheels from off the rack bike may need replacing. After they go out of true get open pro rim with ultegra rims. I got a front for 110 and the rear for 140 at performance bike.

I think most aluminum frames will be plenty strong

Louis
05-16-2014, 12:08 AM
You could give the folks at Rivendell (http://www.rivbike.com/) a call. A while back Grant went out of his way to design and produce at least one model for extra-Clydesdale types. I don't know if they still have anything like that, but they're always willing to chat, so it can't hurt.

Cornfed
05-16-2014, 12:11 AM
First, good for you for turning a year of negatives into motivation toward the positive. I would look for a used steel bike in the "plush" category (maybe not a hybrid, but something with a more upright geometry, like a Jamis Coda or the like). Get the legs back in shape. I'd also suggest pilates and other core work. That will protect your back and make your next bike seem that much more comfortable. All the best to you, and keep us in the loop on your progress.

pdmtong
05-16-2014, 12:24 AM
while I've not been in your shoes, hats off for looking forward and not backwards.

dont worry about how far or how long. aim for consistency and just get out there.

ignore the stares. those people are immature and not worth your time. I see all sizes and ages out riding. they are out, and not sitting at home on their couches.

plan on buy/sell your bikes via craigslist.

perhaps a hybrid to start? beefy frame. beefy wheels. you can keep it as your beater once your custom ti comes in.

once you get down to 240-50....I suspect a regular road bike would be more accommodating to that weight range. buy it used and then sell it later. or, buy what you can and then get some beefy wheels.

at 225 you are right in there with all the other clydesdales. start planning your custom.

please let us know how you are doing. there is NO ONE here who is riding at their preferred weight. I know a 140# guy who wishes he was 130. go figure.

the bigger challenge for buying (used) is not your weight but your height

benitosan1972
05-16-2014, 01:12 AM
1. Congrats for what you've survived and good luck for where you're going
2. I'd recommend aluminum (or steel) something ~$1000 entry level you can outgrow (or in this case outshrink) and sell off when you move onto better things & health & weight
3. Don't give up, and keep us posted, and don't give up, and really keep us posted! :)

cat6
05-16-2014, 01:38 AM
how about a rigid 29er like surly ogre? go ride and have fun, possibly explore some dirt off the beaten path and begin your journey in comfort and style. Throw on some baggies and a handlebar bag and hit the road.

Peter P.
05-16-2014, 02:50 AM
Buy a rigid mountain bike. Replace any shock fork with a rigid fork. Install 1.5" road tires, a low rise stem, a flat bar, and short bar ends for multiple hand positions. Use your favorite clipless pedals, road or off-road, change the cassette if you must, and that should be it.

I suggest this type of bike because while I don't think you need any special wheels, you need the tire VOLUME to support your weight and protect the wheels. The lower available gearing will help to keep you on the bike in the hills. The handlebar position is lower than a typical mountain bike for efficient, fast road riding.

My buddies and I ride this setup for D2R2 every year. They are very fast on the road.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2668/3757629963_83b6b5fa7a_z.jpg?zz=1 (https://www.flickr.com/photos/53479013@N00/3757629963/)
D2R2 Bike (https://www.flickr.com/photos/53479013@N00/3757629963/)

dgauthier
05-16-2014, 04:50 AM
(. . .) I understand Wheels will be crucial to withstanding the stress my weight will convey but I worry, at this extreme, if the frame material should be of concern too.
( . . . )

When I started riding I weighed 265 (and dropped to 192 in about a year), so I had similar concerns. Here's what I did, and if I had it to do over again I would do it exactly the same way:

1. Get a *steel* frame. You can get a very nice steel bike for about $1500 and it will be light enough and fast while also being trustworthy and reliable.

2. Get a real road bike, not a hybrid or any other nonsense. Only a real road bike is designed to be ridden enjoyably for hours and hours over long distances. The drop handlebars allow you to put your hands in multiple positions during a long ride, the narrow seat supports only your sit bones allowing freedom of movement without chafing, and the wide gear selection allows you to tackle any terrain. (I gleaned this advice from Greg Lemond's Complete Book of Bicycling. I'd also suggest picking up that book, to educate yourself about cycling and enhance your enjoyment.)

3. Most bicycle companies will equip their steel road bikes with strong, reliable wheels. Ride the piss out of whatever wheels come on the bike, and upgrade later. You'll find the stiffness and control of a traditional set of 32 spoke, 3 cross, hand built wheels hard to beat. You can get very nice 32 spoke 3 cross wheels with Mavic Open Pro rims and Ultegra hubs for about $150. (Actually, you could go for 36 spokes, especially in the rear, but 36 spoke hubs and rims are hard to find off the rack these days.) If you want the right wheels for you at 300 lbs and don't mind paying a bit more, have some 36 spoke, 3 cross wheels built for you by a reputable wheel builder. They'll be overkill for you at 200, though you'll probably still want to ride them, 'cause they'll be so good. Consider using 25 mm wide tires. I rode 23's at 265 with no trouble.

4. If you live in a hilly area, get a triple drivetrain.

5. Get real bike clothes. At 265 I felt and looked ridiculous in a road cycling jersey, so I wore mountain bike jerseys initially, which are like baggy t-shirts but still purpose-made for cycling with sweat-wicking fabric with zippered pockets. Once you've lost enough weight, change to road cycling jerseys, because the baggy mountain jerseys will act like a parachute and slow you down. No matter what, you'll want to wear real road cycling bib shorts, because that's the only thing that will allow you to ride long distances in complete comfort. Go for the bib shorts rather than plain shorts, so there's no waistband to bother your gut.

Good luck. Ride regularly and you will do it!

RedRider
05-16-2014, 06:23 AM
Try a Google search for Ernest Gagnon. He has become somewhat famous in the cycling community for deciding to train on a bicycle to lose weight rather than have the Doctor ordered surgery. He lives in MA and rides a custom Seven with flat bars. His experiences with losing weight, cycling and life in general are well documented online... he has a Facebook fan page. You might want to contact him and get first hand experience. Best of luck.

verticaldoug
05-16-2014, 06:46 AM
http://39stonecyclist.com/am-i-too-heavy-for-a-bike/

Here is a link to the bikes Gaz rode. Gaz started out at 560lbs.

If you go a modified road bike route, I'd work with a fitter in the area you can trust. I suspect if you are out of shape, flexibility will be an issue, so having less handlebar drop is probably a day one requirement. As your conditioning improves, your fit will begin to change. A lot of this can be accomplished with stems.

I like the idea of speaking to Rivendell. If Rivendell is a bust, I'd look at salsa. On day one, I want a bike that can fit a fatter tire. Salsa warbird can fit a 38.

I don't recommend going a cheapo off the rack route. This is a lifestyle change you are embarking on and to improve the chance of success, comfort and fit on the bike day one are a prerequisite in my book. Be smart and spend money up front.

Good Luck
Douglas

druptight
05-16-2014, 06:53 AM
105 hubs to archetypes will hold you up for a little over $200:

http://www.velomine.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=86_235_357&products_id=2837

oldpotatoe
05-16-2014, 07:02 AM
After living through a year of divorce, cancer, heart attack, and Breaking Bad ending, I'm trying to take that first step towards recovering my health.
My question is, what kind of frame should I look for to sustain my weight as I go from 300 pounds now to a goal of 200? I am 56, 6'4" and will be doing, eventually, long training rides with no racing. I understand Wheels will be crucial to withstanding the stress my weight will convey but I worry, at this extreme, if the frame material should be of concern too.
My plan is to treat myself to a custom titanium frame when I near the end of my weight loss goal. I need to purchase something "off the rack" for right now and get the first mile behind me. Any suggestions and thoughts will be appreciated.

Aluminum..with shimano..maybe a triple if that suits you. It will support you, and allow you to get back into cycling. Standard, not boutique-y wheels..Specialized, Giant, one of the bike shop bikes..

Good for you, BTW..cycling can be very theraputic..I call it 'mechanical meditation'.

If you have a good bike shop that will listen to you, see what you need and guide you towards a bike that suits your needs..maybe look at REI as well, or Performance(in spite of a previous thread about a Performance bike shop).

Gummee
05-16-2014, 07:12 AM
I'd run you towards a 26" wheeled bike too. If tandems can run em with 36h in the back, you're gonna be fine.

Road wheels? 36h at the minimum at your weight. 40h would probably be better (if you can find one) till you hit 250 or so, then drop down to 36h.

Either way, be prepared to maintain/replace things more frequently at 300 than you did at 200.

Congrats on getting back on the horse. I'm sure it'll be a mighty fine horse.

M

shovelhd
05-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Anything. Just ride. Good luck and stick with it.

AngryScientist
05-16-2014, 08:07 AM
I vote for a mid range touring bike. Trek 520, surly long haul trucker or similar. 36 spoke beefy touring wheels, more upright position, win win.

commonguy001
05-16-2014, 09:14 AM
One more vote for a Surly LHT and as a Surly fan and Disc Trucker owner I really like those bikes.
You can get either 26 inch or 700c wheels in your size so you have that choice too.
When you get down to your goal weight and you get yourself a new fancy road bike you'll still have a super solid touring bike that you can fender up and use for wet weather too.

Good luck with your choice.

thegunner
05-16-2014, 09:39 AM
not the cheapest option, but ernest (the guy who lost a ton of weight via cycling / was on velonews a while back) rode a custom seven mudhoney. if you're going to keep the bike for a while, then it might be worth it to make a one time investment upfront.

also +1, awesome that you're getting back on the horse.

jr59
05-16-2014, 09:39 AM
One more vote for a Surly LHT and as a Surly fan and Disc Trucker owner I really like those bikes.
You can get either 26 inch or 700c wheels in your size so you have that choice too.
When you get down to your goal weight and you get yourself a new fancy road bike you'll still have a super solid touring bike that you can fender up and use for wet weather too.

This is a solid idea!

Anything. Just ride. Good luck and stick with it.

This is the best plan! Good luck

SoCalSteve
05-16-2014, 10:00 AM
When I started riding I weighed 265 (and dropped to 192 in about a year), so I had similar concerns. Here's what I did, and if I had it to do over again I would do it exactly the same way:

1. Get a *steel* frame. You can get a very nice steel bike for about $1500 and it will be light enough and fast while also being trustworthy and reliable.

2. Get a real road bike, not a hybrid or any other nonsense. Only a real road bike is designed to be ridden enjoyably for hours and hours over long distances. The drop handlebars allow you to put your hands in multiple positions during a long ride, the narrow seat supports only your sit bones allowing freedom of movement without chafing, and the wide gear selection allows you to tackle any terrain. (I gleaned this advice from Greg Lemond's Complete Book of Bicycling. I'd also suggest picking up that book, to educate yourself about cycling and enhance your enjoyment.)

3. Most bicycle companies will equip their steel road bikes with strong, reliable wheels. Ride the piss out of whatever wheels come on the bike, and upgrade later. You'll find the stiffness and control of a traditional set of 32 spoke, 3 cross, hand built wheels hard to beat. You can get very nice 32 spoke 3 cross wheels with Mavic Open Pro rims and Ultegra hubs for about $150. (Actually, you could go for 36 spokes, especially in the rear, but 36 spoke hubs and rims are hard to find off the rack these days.) If you want the right wheels for you at 300 lbs and don't mind paying a bit more, have some 36 spoke, 3 cross wheels built for you by a reputable wheel builder. They'll be overkill for you at 200, though you'll probably still want to ride them, 'cause they'll be so good. Consider using 25 mm wide tires. I rode 23's at 265 with no trouble.

4. If you live in a hilly area, get a triple drivetrain.

5. Get real bike clothes. At 265 I felt and looked ridiculous in a road cycling jersey, so I wore mountain bike jerseys initially, which are like baggy t-shirts but still purpose-made for cycling with sweat-wicking fabric with zippered pockets. Once you've lost enough weight, change to road cycling jerseys, because the baggy mountain jerseys will act like a parachute and slow you down. No matter what, you'll want to wear real road cycling bib shorts, because that's the only thing that will allow you to ride long distances in complete comfort. Go for the bib shorts rather than plain shorts, so there's no waistband to bother your gut.

Good luck. Ride regularly and you will do it!

Coming from a big guy who has lost weight over the years, this is the BEST advice in this thread so far! If you dont listen to any other piece of advice, follow the bolded parts.

Good luck! You will do it!!!

Steve

PS: Dont cheap out on the clothes, shoes, gloves. These items will make cycling much more enjoyable for you and make you want to continue.

PSS: No one has mentioned saddles...You may want to explore getting a Brooks B-17 to start with. Not the prettiest or lightest, but super comfortable for bigger riders.

rePhil
05-16-2014, 10:12 AM
Another one for inspiration, Scott Cutshall,

http://www.startribune.com/lifestyle/16782826.html

If you believe, you can do it!

texbike
05-16-2014, 10:23 AM
We have an extended family member that approached me last Thanksgiving about biking as part of his goal to lose weight. He ended up with a geared, 29r Redline steel MTB (the D440) and equipped it with smaller road tires than were originally spec'd on the bike (1.5s I think with road pattern knobbies) and a saddle that he liked.

At Thanksgiving he was 330. He's now down to 270 and is very happy with his progress. He's shooting for 250 with a stretch goal of 225. He's largely attributed the loss to biking (he religiously gets in 12-15 miles a day on a loop that's close to their house) and a concerted effort to eliminate sugars and processed foods from his diet. The toughest part he said was quitting the soft drinks and energy drinks. Now he's only drinking water, unsweetened tea, or coffee.

Good luck with your efforts!

Texbike

moose8
05-16-2014, 10:59 AM
As others have said, the surlys are solid and fun - I don't think you can wrong with any of them. If money was no object I'd go for the ecr, but the straggler or cross check would be good too. Having fun will make it so much easier, so I do think it's worth looking for a bike that makes you feel something about it - kind of when you see it you like it. At this point pretty much all bikes that aren't super cheap are pretty awesome. Good luck! It's a marathon but it'll be worth it.

Rouleur88
05-16-2014, 11:10 AM
Last night, when I decided to post my question on this forum I was hoping to be lucky enough to get two or three responses to my questions. After just completing my first fitness walk, where I was hard pressed to decide whether I would be faster rolling sideways like a fat log or remaining upright and plodding along, I returned to thePacline to find all these wonderful responses. I appreciate the time everyone took to offer suggestions and words of encouragement. You all have lifted my spirits up immensely.
I plan to visit two of the bike shops local to me this weekend with the goal of being on the road this coming week. I will touch base with info on what I'm riding and my progress as time goes on. Having felt that I lost my family after the divorce, thank you for making me feel like I'm part of one here.

izzyfuld
05-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Keep up the hard work man! I too have been struggling with my weight after getting hit by a car exactly 2 years ago. I was 200 pounds then coming off losing 75 pounds. Since I got hit I've been steadily gaining weight. I'm floating around 255 now really working on dropping back down. H plus son and dt Swiss make deep aluminum rims. 32, 36 spoke would be a sturdy solid setup. I've been riding 32 spokes and ya I knock em out of true every once in a whole but they're awesome wheels.
Any time I get on a set of low spoke counts I seriously feel them flexing under me.

Keep us updated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AngryScientist
05-16-2014, 11:22 AM
When you feel up to it, post up where you live. If we were close, I for one would be happy to ride some miles with you at your comfortable pace. I'm sure others would too.

Flaroc01
05-16-2014, 11:25 AM
I also wanted to say good luck with your goal. I'm hovering around 230 lbs myself but I started riding a bike on a trainer this past winter and trying to do some short rides now that the weather is finally better. We are all here to help each other and I'm sure in the future you will be the one offering someone else some advice.

ceolwulf
05-16-2014, 11:46 AM
Nothing to add re: equipment but just chime in with everyone else and express encouragement.

To get somewhere you need a direction and a speed and the speed can be as high or low as you like but it has to be above zero. And you've got the direction dialed now. So the rest is just carrying steadily on.

MattTuck
05-16-2014, 11:47 AM
I vote for a mid range touring bike. Trek 520, surly long haul trucker or similar. 36 spoke beefy touring wheels, more upright position, win win.

This is what I was thinking. Touring bike seems like an appropriate feature set for the present, and once you get your custom Ti, the the touring bike will be a nice bike that you can use for a utility/touring/gravel/etc. bike. Seems like a smart way to go!

Good luck :)

SoCalSteve
05-16-2014, 11:48 AM
Nothing to add re: equipment but just chime in with everyone else and express encouragement.

To get somewhere you need a direction and a speed and the speed can be as high or low as you like but it has to be above zero. And you've got the direction dialed now. So the rest is just carrying steadily on.

Words to live by for everyone!!!

josephr
05-16-2014, 11:53 AM
+1 on getting on the bike!!! Just riding 10-15 miles a day (like someone else) will be great! I wouldn't worry about getting in major miles --- 10-15miles 3-4 days a week combined with staying active and watching your diet will work wonders. Stay away from sodas, energy drinks, and watch your carb intake ( no way I'm giving up carbs!).

Don't shoot for the moon --- take your time to transition -- its about building yourself into a new healthy, active lifestyle...and that just doesn't happen overnight.

First bike --- aim for a 'fitness' bike....usually they're over-built and have pretty decent components and can get a decent one for $500 or so. When you get down a bit and want to start looking at longer distances, then we'll work on finding you your next road or mtn bike. We're here for ya!!!
Joe

benitosan1972
05-16-2014, 12:16 PM
Also, a CX bike would be more versatile in the long run for a heavier rider. It's stout enough to accommodate his initial weight, then, as he loses weight/gets faster/build endurance, he can switch to skinnier tires to go faster/farther/etc without having to necessarily buy a whole new bike?

I vote CX bike > touring/hybrid/mountain bike.

ctcyclistbob
05-16-2014, 12:51 PM
...After just completing my first fitness walk...

Congrats on deciding to get fit and move forward with your life. Good for you!

The walking is a great way to start, and when you get your bike you can mix in walks on days you don't ride. Like all of us here I'm partial to cycling, but walking does a lot of good also.

Back to the bike: you need a strong frame and strong wheels. Depending on what your local shops recommend, maybe look to Rivendell as others have said (through the shop if possible).

Good luck!

biker72
05-16-2014, 01:48 PM

Excellent choice. I owned one a number of years ago. A little heavy but indestructible.

rperks
05-16-2014, 02:02 PM
Comfort and ease of use is going to be as important as the rest of the gear. Also, consider wiring the commute or errands into the routine. These are both easy ways to pack in the miles, and have fun getting places you are going any way. A touring bike is perfect for this, Surly LHT or cross check or even take a look at some of the bikes Raleigh is bringing to market. If it is easy to grab and go you will use it more. I may be the odd man out in this crowd, but something like a brooks B67, some upright bars (Nitto Albatros) and flat pedals will get you rolling. THis can be comfortable in regular clothes, and you will still be able to go as fast as the motor wants to. As you get where you want to go with the fitness, the bike will keep serving you well.

For me, and many others that I know either trying to drop weight, recover lost fitness or just recapture some bike magic in the day, reframing the bike as a tool for active transport helps to keep the miles rolling by. You still plan and dedicate the time, but it is more than just exercise. I am convinced that there is a part of us all that gets a deeper fulfillment from self propelled transport and placating the inner hunter gatherer, even if it is just a trip to the grocery store. If you have to cary the food home it also forces you to think a bit more about the choices on that side of the equation.

rperks
05-16-2014, 02:14 PM
Also, I should have mentioned the current offerings from SOMA. They have really expanded their line and are even offering complete bikes this year. Any local bike shop with a Merry Sales account should be able to help you out.

SpokeValley
05-16-2014, 02:57 PM

Great advice!

Never give up...never surrender.:hello:

Lanterne Rouge
05-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Total respect for you doing this and getting on your bike.

You could get a Surly LHT but you're better of ignoring all these guys they're idiots :banana::eek::cool::help:

Me, I'd get the Fuji Touring:

http://www.fujibikes.com/images/bike/touring/highres/2014_FUJI_Touring_SIDE.jpg

http://www.performancebike.com/bikes/Product_10052_10551_1149202_-1_400316__400316

Pound for pound, blow for blow the best bike for the money. It's a fact. And your size also.

And when you're dropping skinny kids on the climbs you can relegate this bike to your do everything and go everywhere bike :hello:

NickR
05-16-2014, 04:42 PM
Speaking from experience as a uber-cydesdale, a hand built wheel set would need to be on your priority list of items needed imho. There is nothing worse than been sidelined from riding due to broken spoke(s). As your fitness level increases you will be putting in more time on the bike and factory build wheels won’t last without constant tension/spoke replacement.

I have a couple wheel sets and my tried and true (rear) is a hand built 3 across, 36 hole, Ultegra hub with a Velocity Chukker rim many worry & trouble free miles/seasons in LA streets. My other hand built wheel set is 3 across, 32 hole CK hubs and Velocity Fusion rims for bike trail use ( I baby these wheels). I own a Surly Cross Check, the advantage over the Long haul trucker is the rear drop out spacing. By going this route I was able to continue to use my wheel set when I purchased my road bike saving myself $$ in getting another wheel set build for the road bike.

Wishing you the best and PM me if you want more detail/clarification. :bike:

Wilkinson4
05-16-2014, 07:52 PM
Just ride and eat better. It will come off. Check out the dude from My name is Earl, Ethan Suplee. Down 200 or so and really doing well.

mIKE

bikinchris
05-16-2014, 08:06 PM
I had a customer once who started riding at 450 pounds. We put him on a Gray Fisher steel mountain bike with a custom built rear wheel that had 36 spokes and a nice wide rim. He rode that bike until he was about 330 pounds and switched to a Trek OCLV with a 40 spoke rear wheel. He rode that until I lost track of him.

I would suggest a well built touring bike with a 135mm rear axle and 40 spokes with an asymmetrical pattern. If it has well built wheels, you will be fine and not have to worry about it. SOMA, Trek 520, Rivendell and others will work fine.

bikinchris
05-16-2014, 08:15 PM
I'd run you towards a 26" wheeled bike too. If tandems can run em with 36h in the back, you're gonna be fine.

Road wheels? 36h at the minimum at your weight. 40h would probably be better (if you can find one) till you hit 250 or so, then drop down to 36h.

Either way, be prepared to maintain/replace things more frequently at 300 than you did at 200.

Congrats on getting back on the horse. I'm sure it'll be a mighty fine horse.

M

Tandem have stronger wheels partly because of the longer rear axle. Having the flanges set more centered in the wheel. Having the spokes with the same angle is the trick that makes their wheels so much stronger. A 26 inch rear wheel with a 140mm axle and 36 spokes 3 cross is stronger than a 40 hole 4 cross 700c wheel with a 135mm axle.

handsomerob
05-16-2014, 08:29 PM
I am over 200lbs and my Tange Prestige Soma Saga feels very solid but not dead like a couple Surly's felt to me. Built beefy for loaded touring, I believe it would be a nice pick.

They have it in large sizes as well. I would prefer to build from the frame up but they have it complete too (with 36H wheels).

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/saga-complete-bicycle

Bradford
05-16-2014, 09:20 PM

This is the answer, but I'd say go used. Touring bikes are designed to carry weight, are slightly more upright, and more stable. A real touring bike will take at least 700 x 37 tires and can go down to 25s. And contrary to what you hear from people who don't own them, they are fun to ride. I ride mine with 36 holes in the front and 40 in the back, but you are likely to find 36h on both. If so, just ride it until you start trashing the rear wheel and then have Peter White build you something stout with 40 holes.

I say go used because you can get plenty of bike for the money and then sell it when you are ready to get your custom bike. And the good thing about touring bikes is that a lot of people buy them, use them for one tour, and sell them, so there is a good secondary market.

Then again, no need to sell it. I ride mine all the time and like it just as much as my fancy Ti bike.

Rouleur88
05-17-2014, 02:22 AM
Thanks everyone. I am going to visit a couple LBS in my town Saturday afternoon and will be open to new or used. Unfortunately Surly is not carried here but I did see it available at REI . com
I'll update over the weekend if I ride off the lot with something.
Thanks again for all of the support and great suggestions.

Ahneida Ride
05-17-2014, 07:45 AM
Great advice!

Never give up...never surrender.:hello:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uwCMf71nOA

I too have the up most respect for ya .....
Just get out and ride. My Very Best ! :banana:

Cicli
05-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Thanks everyone. I am going to visit a couple LBS in my town Saturday afternoon and will be open to new or used. Unfortunately Surly is not carried here but I did see it available at REI . com
I'll update over the weekend if I ride off the lot with something.
Thanks again for all of the support and great suggestions.

You may not be here but this is truly inspirational.
Awesome story.

http://www.bicycling.com/training-nutrition/nutrition-weight-loss/i-lost-320-pounds-riding-bike

clyde the point
05-17-2014, 08:47 AM
I'm 6'2" and 245. I'd like to be thinner......

Another vote for the Surly Long Haul Trucker. Echelon John built my wheels 40 x 36 and they work great.

How you sit on a bicycle is very important as well. Get a decent fit to start with and there's plenty of people here who can advise based on measurements/photos.

Good on you Sir.

Bradford
05-17-2014, 09:56 AM
If you decide to go with a touring bike and want some options, check out Adventure Cyclist, the monthly magazine for Adventure Cycling. At the very least, it will educate you on what to look for.

http://www.adventurecycling.org/adventure-cyclist/

I'm not sure how much of it is available on line, but they do month bike reviews of touring bikes and run the range from entry level to full custom. They often review bikes I didn't know existed that look great.

cmbicycles
05-17-2014, 09:57 AM
When I worked in bike shops, I had a few like minded individuals come in to find a bike. Several of those customers would stop in once/twice a week for advice or tweaks or encouragement, or almost daily in some cases (just liked to hang out). They rode the wheels off their bikes doing daily 10-15 mile rides, and were proud when they started wearing things out, as you should be. Wearing things out on the bike was one of their trophies for sticking to their goals.
There has been lots of good advice already on bikes and wheels for you to digest, but really any bike that lets you go out and ride comfortably and reliably with a smile is a great thing. Find a shop that will work with you on finding it. Better bike shops build relationships, not just a customer $$ base. Find a shop like that and you will have great support locally, and plenty of good support online here on the forum (probably a few local forumites you may discover).
Keep us posted on your progress.

cnighbor1
05-17-2014, 09:59 AM
You could give the folks at Rivendell (http://www.rivbike.com/) a call. A while back Grant went out of his way to design and produce at least one model for extra-Clydesdale types. I don't know if they still have anything like that, but they're always willing to chat, so it can't hurt.
Yes Rivendell made a bicycle for heavy riders. It is now run by a separate new owner
Call them to get their phone

dogdriver
05-17-2014, 10:55 AM
Way to go, and keep it up!

Probably just repeating what's already been said, but I went through this exact scenario last year with a 280lb neighbor. We built him a Surly Karate Monkey with a Deore triple drive train and 36 spoke wheels (can't remember the brand, but we emphasized "bomber"). Mtb tires with a solid center bead for the road. Replaced the stock fork with a beefy rigid fork that I had in the garage. Originally installed a flat bar, recently swapped to a Salsa Woodchipper bar as he is primarily riding on the pavement and wanted to have drops. He enjoys it, has lost many 10's of pounds, and is getting back into shape.

Any hard tail (not carbon) 29er is the ticket, IMHO. At your weight, durability and reliability of frame and components is king-- you want it to work correctly (minimum repairs and maintenance) and not fail (especially frame, cockpit, and seat components), because then you get hurt and that sucks.

JMOICBR, Chris

cnighbor1
05-17-2014, 12:33 PM
You will need stout wheels for a while
Rich at Rivendell can build a fine set for you

Ken Robb
05-17-2014, 08:12 PM
check your private messages

Rouleur88
05-24-2014, 09:00 PM
Sorry to have dropped off the back for a few days. I am now the proud owner of a couple more stents. I see this as only a positive as now when I get cleared to ride in another 10-14 days I can be certain my heart is ready for the challenge.
I did not have another heart attack, just tightness in my chest when I was doing my fitness walk up a hill. Because of my past history my Cardiologist skipped the treadmill and went direct to the coronary angiogram.
Meanwhile I also have time to find the right bike. I was about to purchase a used Surly LHT I found for sale locally but, unfortunately, the Bike was sold before I could follow through on the purchase.
I will check in when I have an update on my purchase, meanwhile, glad to be here.

Louis
05-24-2014, 09:32 PM
I'm glad you checked back in - let us know how things are going and what you end up riding.

Take care and listen to your body and your doctors...

Rouleur88
05-29-2014, 02:14 AM
61cm Milani Acciaio Puro :banana:

Steel frame for strength, previously owned and in excellent condition for value, and gives me the opportunity to custom configure to suit my current physical challenges.

I'm picking the Milani up later today and will post a photo of the actual 61cm frame.
I'm leaning towards sourcing a good used Campagnolo group for the build. But will ask for more advice in a separate thread after I have my fingerprints on it.
Thank you thank you to everyone who offered their thoughts and suggestions on what starter bike to use on the beginning of my road to recovery.

Jack Crank
05-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Good on ya and congrats on the beautiful new frame! My dad is in a similar boat to you of trying to get his weight down on the bike and it's been really good for him. He has a long way to go but I sent him this thread as inspiration.

Like everybody else says, just ride all the time, it's fun as hell.

Ken Robb
05-29-2014, 09:40 AM
I think you are going to want a triple crank. Campy triples are rare and expensive compared to Shimano. They both work fine.
61cm Milani Acciaio Puro :banana:

Steel frame for strength, previously owned and in excellent condition for value, and gives me the opportunity to custom configure to suit my current physical challenges.

I'm picking the Milani up later today and will post a photo of the actual 61cm frame.
I'm leaning towards sourcing a good used Campagnolo group for the build. But will ask for more advice in a separate thread after I have my fingerprints on it.
Thank you thank you to everyone who offered their thoughts and suggestions on what starter bike to use on the beginning of my road to recovery.

Ken Robb
05-29-2014, 09:51 AM
I had to Google to see what this Milani is like. "A pure racing bike" "ultralight tubing". It might accept 700x25 tires.

Rouleur88
05-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Ken, I didn't see that on my google search. That concerns me as the Seller made it sound like the Milani was a good choice for my needs. The "might take a 25mm tire" is a red flag as I've seen bikes now with the 23mm tires. I think they are a bit narrow for my needs. Should I re-think this? I'm open to thoughts but have to make a decision soon as I'm about to make a very long drive to complete the purchase.

AngryScientist
05-29-2014, 11:05 AM
i think the terms "pure racing bike" and "ultralight tubing" are exactly the opposite of what you should be looking for. i dont know the bike at all, but a "pure racing bike" is going to have tight clearances most likely and will want to run skinny tires, which at 300# is a recipe for disaster for you.

moose8
05-29-2014, 11:20 AM
If you haven't bought it yet, I'd say don't. 25s won't be wide enough. If riding the bike isn't fun, you'll be less likely to do it. And riding skinny tires like that probably just won't be as much fun for you as a wider tire.

Rouleur88
05-29-2014, 11:22 AM
The steel frame of the Milani was a big selling point for me. It is Tig welded and I posted a question about that type of weld being strong enough for my weight. I should have posted the actual bike frame in question as well. I am going to call the Seller and relay my concerns. I do appreciate the feedback and possibly preventing a very bad decision on my part from going through.

Ken Robb
05-29-2014, 12:10 PM
If you go to the Milani site you will see what I saw. I was really trying to get you the info before you bought the bike because it seemed totally wrong for you and contrary to all the advice you got from forumites but I didn't want to be Mr. Negativity if you had already done the deal.

jr59
05-29-2014, 01:50 PM
listen to the 4-5 posters above me and wait for something to come up. It will!

Buying something that doesn't work as well as you need it to, is a mistake IMO.

Rouleur88
05-30-2014, 05:41 AM
So the Milani is not going to happen. I must plead guilty to being mesmerized by the shimmering stainless steel frame of the Milani and temporarily forgetting that my physique is more in line with Shamu rather than Pantani!
Thank you Friends for snapping me out of the Giro Fog.

AngryScientist
05-30-2014, 05:49 AM
So the Milani is not going to happen. I must plead guilty to being mesmerized by the shimmering stainless steel frame of the Milani and temporarily forgetting that my physique is more in line with Shamu rather than Pantani!

your honest straightforward attitude is refreshing. keep up the search, something nice will come along. perhaps post a "wanted to buy" in the classifieds and see what comes along. cheers.

shovelhd
05-30-2014, 07:01 AM

I think the feedback was less about you breaking something and more about you finding a bike to ride that you will enjoy long enough to reach your goals. That bike is one step ahead of where you are now. Getting out there consistently on a bike that makes riding enjoyable and not a chore should be your primary focus.

donevwil
05-30-2014, 11:41 AM
I would recommend something from Black Mountain Cycles, either the road or the cross frame. As a once 250 pounder myself, now 230, you should really get something that will fit a true 32mm tire if not larger. I recently got a new frame to run Grand Bois Cypres 32 tires and after one ride all my bikes that won't clear a 28 were on the block. As mentioned before, the riding needs to be fun so fit, comfort and handling will be key.

The BMC cross frame might be ideal as it would still fill a void after you've dropped some weight, improved fitness and purchased a sassy lightweight carbon fiber race bike.

ceolwulf
05-30-2014, 01:04 PM
Really almost any cyclocross bike should be a good choice. Will clear any tires you'd want and they have to be built reasonably strong to survive 'cross racing. And as mentioned, remain useful even when your needs change.

donevwil
05-30-2014, 01:26 PM
Really almost any cyclocross bike should be a good choice. Will clear any tires you'd want and they have to be built reasonably strong to survive 'cross racing. And as mentioned, remain useful even when your needs change.

I'd avoid racing oriented cross bikes with shorter BB drop and chainstays and lighter frames.

ceolwulf
05-30-2014, 01:28 PM
^ yes, good point.

Ken Robb
05-30-2014, 02:01 PM
So we are probably back to a touring bike or (if you can find a good one) an old steel fully rigid mountain bike. Those 26" wheels are darn tough. I put some Rivendell Albatross pull-back bars on my 1989 Bridgestone MB-3 and it allows a comfy upright or a more aero lean-forward position and hauls lots of stuff in grocery panniers.

moose8
05-30-2014, 02:37 PM
You should decide your budget and post a willing to buy in the classifieds here. Someone might have something that would be a good starting bike for you. People always like to see things get put to good use and you certainly would be putting a bike to its best and highest use of improving a life.

echelon_john
05-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Honestly:
- Buy a Surly frame. Probably CX or LHT. Harsh ride? Hah! Not under 300lbs. It'll be great, and hold up well.
- Get some decent wheels built. 36H, strong rims. I can help with this, as could Ergott and lots of other great builders. Maybe Velocity Dyads; not crazy heavy, and very strong.
- Get a Shimano 105 or low-end SRAM group with a compact, and a wide-range rear cassette.
- Get a big(gish), comfy seat to start with.
- Leave the steerer long so you can get the bars high (at least to start with).
- Double layer of bar tape.
- Big tires; something like Jack Browns (700x33) would be great.

With the $$ you save on the frame, you're able to buy lots of parts that you can take to future bikes and always find useful. In a year or two, when you've stuck with this and dropped some pounds, you can reassess. But this won't break, disappoint you, or hold you back one iota in the meantime.

I'm 6'6", about 250#, and at my lightest racing was 195. You don't need a crazy heavy bike to support your weight; you basically need to pay about a 3lb penalty between the frameset and the wheels for something strong that won't shoot a reasonable budget. That's ~1% of the gross vehicle weight; negligible in the big picture. And in terms of tires, 33s inflated properly will be fine. I ride 28s on pavement & gravel without issue at my size.

Good luck!

rphetteplace
05-30-2014, 10:08 PM
That Fuji on about the third page looked to be the cats ass for you imho.

If by any chance you are in Wisconsin stop by and I'll let you take something from my heard out for a zip. I'm 6'6" and 280 so I'm sure I'd have something that would fit you.

giordana93
05-30-2014, 10:58 PM
I don't contribute that often to threads, so I guess take this with a grain of salt, but here are my two cents (worth every dime you paid for them!).

Forget worrying about the frame material and construction method. Any frame in the market today will support you just fine. The flimsier ones might sway a little as you get stronger or honk out of the saddle, but they won't fail, even after a couple of seasons. The only reason to avoid a racing style is for the above-mentioned tire clearance. You want big cushy tires, period. They will be more comfortable, flat less, and last longer. I would lean towards a low budget hybrid style or maybe touring, but above all it has to fit and you have to be comfortable and confident on it, so a test ride is a must . Get something you can beat the crap out of in the beginning, with the goal of shedding the weight, sorting out your fit and riding style preferences (gravel vs smooth pavement, short and fast vs long and slow) and rewarding yourself with a nicer bike with more robust components when you meet a fitness goal or weight target. By then you will have the upgrade illness and we can debate the merits of three cross tandem hubs, etc. but for now just find something that feels inspiring and comfortable to swing your leg over and find a saddle that you can live with for an hour or so. I would quote and say plus 50 to the post above about finding a good shop that you can grow with. When you are ready for your next bike, they will be there and you can turn your first bike into a town beater with fenders and racks (which I would actually recommend from the start, to begin those errands and grocery runs) for doing anything in any and all weather. Before you know it you will be among the afflicted here adding to and thinning out the "stable," quiver, herd, etc (read: wallet) and can worry about ti vs al, steel, and carbon, yada yada.

Rouleur88
05-31-2014, 10:30 PM
Their is a Pegoretti frameset listed for sale here on the Paceline. Would this frame be a reasonable fit for my conditioning goals? My weight will be dropping quickly as soon as I get cleared to ride. I don't know enough about frame geometry to know if this frame is too aggressive of a ride for me. The top tube measurement is for sure in my size though.

Louis
05-31-2014, 10:38 PM
Do you know what frame geometry works for you right now? If not, then I don't think you should be spending that kind of money on frame without knowing for sure. If it were a $150 frame then it's no big deal, but buying blind in hopes that it works doesn't make sense to me at that price.

Rouleur88
05-31-2014, 10:49 PM
Unfortunately the only measurement I'm confident about is the top tube. I know this will sound weird in some way but, with the surmountable challenges I have in my life, I keep being drawn to things that bring instant gratification. It was the same with the Milani frame earlier this week. I just imagined not only the joy of riding the bike, but the instant pleasure of looking at art on two wheels whenever I glanced its way. A utility bike is the most practical method of obtaining my health goals. I would just like to have that extra beat in my heart again whenever I see something beautiful. You are probably right though. Thank you for your thoughts.

Louis
05-31-2014, 10:58 PM
You have plenty of time to move on to the Italian racers.

For now I'd set my sights on modest, attainable goals, and the satisfaction of surpassing those. Once you've done that, you can move on to the sexier stuff.

Ken Robb
05-31-2014, 11:35 PM
I'm getting testy. For pete's sake STOP already with the racing frames and buy something that will allow you to get a riding position that you can maintain for more than 10 minutes, accept 32+ mm tires and provide LOW gears that may let you climb the hills in your area. You don't want a Ferrari to drive the kids to school.

donevwil
06-01-2014, 12:58 AM
I'm getting testy. For pete's sake STOP already with the racing frames and buy something that will allow you to get a riding position that you can maintain for more than 10 minutes, accept 32+ mm tires and provide LOW gears that may let you climb the hills in your area. You don't want a Ferrari to drive the kids to school.

Word !

jr59
06-01-2014, 03:41 AM
Their is a Pegoretti frameset listed for sale here on the Paceline. Would this frame be a reasonable fit for my conditioning goals? My weight will be dropping quickly as soon as I get cleared to ride. I don't know enough about frame geometry to know if this frame is too aggressive of a ride for me. The top tube measurement is for sure in my size though.

Unfortunately the only measurement I'm confident about is the top tube. I know this will sound weird in some way but, with the surmountable challenges I have in my life, I keep being drawn to things that bring instant gratification. It was the same with the Milani frame earlier this week. I just imagined not only the joy of riding the bike, but the instant pleasure of looking at art on two wheels whenever I glanced its way. A utility bike is the most practical method of obtaining my health goals. I would just like to have that extra beat in my heart again whenever I see something beautiful. You are probably right though. Thank you for your thoughts.

By all means, buy what you want. More than a few people waste a good bit of money buying what they want first and then letting it sit and collect dust and never be ridden.

You have received a LOT of good advise on this thread. You appear to have your own idea about what you want. So buy what you want. It will look good. Please keep in mind, to achieve the goals you set out to achieve, it won't do you any good as wall art.

Seems to me that you do not care. No problem by me.

giordana93
06-01-2014, 07:26 AM
Nobody said a utility or touring bike couldn't be beautiful or lust-worthy. There are plenty of gorgeous ones. Stickng with the car analogy, you need a nice big pickup to tow your big boat, and that Porsche Carrera ain't gonna get you out of the driveway. I put test ride in bold above and repeat it here. A bike with an aggressive position and skinny tires will be uncomfortable, have quick, even twitchy handling--fine at speed or diving into corners, but in a worst case, you won't end up riding your shiny new toy. There is a lot of wisdom on this board that you can ignore, but you asked the question.

shovelhd
06-01-2014, 07:58 AM
What concerns me about your mention of instant gratification is that you might think this journey is going to be quick and easy. It will be neither. It's going to take a long time and a lot of hard work to achieve your goals. Before you buy anything I strongly suggest that you come to terms with this fact.

malcolm
06-01-2014, 08:37 AM
What concerns me about your mention of instant gratification is that you might think this journey is going to be quick and easy. It will be neither. It's going to take a long time and a lot of hard work to achieve your goals. Before you buy anything I strongly suggest that you come to terms with this fact.

Lots of wisdom here. Not to be harsh, but one of the problems with folks that need to lose weight, (myself included) is a version of instant gratification. They want results in weeks or months and at 300lbs that isn't practical. You have to come to grips with the fact that it took years to become overweight or out of shape and it will take a long time to get back where you want to be and really that is a good thing. If you look at folks that drop a ton of weight very quickly it tends to be water and lean mass and over a period of time they will gain it back. At 300lbs unless you are 6'6" plus you will initially lose quickly but it will slow and at that point shoot for a pound or so a week and even then it will be up and down but the result will be more meaningful and lasting.

As far as the bike the beauty is in the simplicity get something functional for now, set a goal, a reasonable one, and have the rolling art as a carrot down the road.

Expectations in order is the first step to success, if you start with unrealistic expectations and goals it's a set up for failure. I would also suggest a calorie counting app like lose it or some other and be brutally honest with yourself. With weight loss slow and steady is always the best option. The bike for you right now should just be a tool, it's beauty will be in the transformation it can help you attain.

p nut
06-01-2014, 11:24 AM
Guy on another forum has a Disc Trucker he loves. He's at or over 300lbs as well. Says the frame rides very smooth loaded or not. That's the way I'd go.

p nut
06-01-2014, 11:26 AM
Another picture.

William
06-01-2014, 12:07 PM
I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but if your intent on a racing style bike, a Pegoretti Big Leg Emma might be one to put on the radar. As a clydesdale though, you may want something that has some clearance to handle bigger tires.

William

rphetteplace
06-01-2014, 01:47 PM
Pegoretti's typically can not handle tires bigger than 23c iirc. I know that some may be able to take 25c (I think SoCalSteve has or had one)

weehastogopee
06-01-2014, 03:54 PM
I'm late to join in on this, but congratulations for your decision to get back on the bike and lose weight!

There is already a lot of good advice on this thread, but I vote for touring bike....and once you get a new bike once you lose weight use it for a bike tour....great vacation and awesome adventure.

Also, as others have mentioned, it won't be easy. It will be a decision you constantly have to make and be committed to.

I'll just leave this here.

https://scontent-b-lax.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/t1.0-9/p403x403/10173620_742068369171446_7446233962075846459_n.jpg

giordana93
06-01-2014, 04:20 PM
actually, I mentioned it in my first reply but it has not come up again (or I just read too quickly): you might start ogling saddles first, cause your ass is going to hurt and no magic frame is going to help that. It happens to everyone, even seasoned riders, who take some time off. Don't fall for the cushy-gel is better idea. You need something fairly wide, I assume, and reasonably firm.

brando
06-01-2014, 11:15 PM

Get the peg, live the dream. Get riding ASAP to keep your stoke going. Get a compact crank and wide range cassette and don't look back. You deserve it because you're going to ride the ever loving out of it. It's got tons of head tube so you'll find a way to fit. A utility bike or whatever is boring, bad for morale, makes it way too easy to find excuses to skip a ride. Go all in and commit to the dream bike. :cool: Or just grab the first bike that's handy and ride that. Ride!:bike:

brando
06-01-2014, 11:27 PM
Pegoretti's typically can not handle tires bigger than 23c iirc. I know that some may be able to take 25c (I think SoCalSteve has or had one)

Other forumites report decent tire clearance. This is for Mxxxxxxo which has beefier chain stays than Duende.

The rear 28mm easy. In the front it will clear 25 with ease and for 28 will depend on which 28 and which brake.

Louis
06-01-2014, 11:39 PM
What the heck, get one of each - you can then see which one you enjoy riding the most. Whatever you do, get frames that fit for what you want them to do. The fit doesn't have to be perfect, but it does need to be in the ballpark, otherwise, it won't be fun.

SoCalSteve
06-01-2014, 11:50 PM

No problem accepting 25's...ask Skip to measure for you...I'm sure he would be happy to!

Rouleur88
06-02-2014, 05:06 PM
I made the purchase.
I sat on several bikes and the Defy was the one that instantly felt comfortable. Giant was contacted by my LBS about my weight and it won't be an issue. Especially with the kind of riding I'm going to be doing this coming year. The wheels are Giant branded and not enough spokes so my LBS is going to make some 32/36 spoked wheels with shimano 105 hubs. They should be ready at the end of the week.
Thank you for all of your suggestions and offers of support. I appreciated your comments from day one. I may not have appeared to be listening some of the time but, in the end, I think I've made a better choice than if I had not had the luxury of so many people wiser than me, sharing their thoughts on what to ride.
I will post a photo before my first ride. Sort of the "before" of the before and after series I hope to someday look back on with the satisfaction of knowing I took that first spin and continued on to better health from that first day forward.

Louis
06-02-2014, 05:28 PM
Congratulations! I hope you get many miles from it.

How hilly is it where you live, and what gearing does the bike have?

ceolwulf
06-02-2014, 05:42 PM
Grats! now all you need is some miles :banana:

The Defies are good bikes, the Composite with Ultegra is on my list for my next road bike.

jr59
06-02-2014, 05:48 PM
well done! good bike.

Now go get some saddle time!

mxpdx
06-03-2014, 10:32 PM
280lb rider/racer weighing in here (pun intended).

I've read a lot of folks talking about frame material. Don't pick a bike based on the frame material. Every maker (from handmade to chinese factory) builds their bikes differently, and the material is just a medium of their build. I've ridden alloys and cromolys and carbon across the whole spectrum. Don't judge a bike by it's material, but by the quality of its build.

I've had an alumn Dolan that rode beautifully, a scandium Rock Lobster that glided like a dream, a steel Surly that solidly delivered, and a carbon Ridley that I could ride for days.

Here's my 2cents:
1) Find a shop you trust (something with only mechanics working there). They see what breaks and know the limits of warranties, mostly.

2) Invest in wheels. Get hand built wheels, 32 or 36 3x. You don't need to spend a ton of money, even low end handbuilts will last you much longer. I've destroyed many wheels, and most of them were bought off ebay.

3) Be careful with your components. Some brands and models are made for 120lb dudes. Shimano Ultegra and 105 seem to withstand me.

4) Get a saddle that fits, gel and comfort pads are worthless. You could ride a pogo stick 100 miles on the right saddle without a single layer of padding.

5) If you can afford it, buy a handmade bike. If not, buy something with a great warranty.

6) Don't buy a 'cross or MTB to ride on long road rides. It's a fit/geo thing.

7) Know you will wear through things, take pride in the miles that wear cost you. I almost completely tore a few cogs through the spline on a Chris King hubset. And that was from 3 months of racing. Was very proud and bragged a lot. :D

I'm a bit younger, but if you have any other Qs - I've ridden A LOT of bikes and frames and parts.

EDIT: d'oh - I was late to the party. FYI - Giant makes some quality "big dude" bikes with oversized parts and whatnot.

pbarry
06-03-2014, 10:49 PM
I made the purchase.
I sat on several bikes and the Defy was the one that instantly felt comfortable. Giant was contacted by my LBS about my weight and it won't be an issue. Especially with the kind of riding I'm going to be doing this coming year. The wheels are Giant branded and not enough spokes so my LBS is going to make some 32/36 spoked wheels with shimano 105 hubs. They should be ready at the end of the week.
Thank you for all of your suggestions and offers of support. I appreciated your comments from day one. I may not have appeared to be listening some of the time but, in the end, I think I've made a better choice than if I had not had the luxury of so many people wiser than me, sharing their thoughts on what to ride.
I will post a photo before my first ride. Sort of the "before" of the before and after series I hope to someday look back on with the satisfaction of knowing I took that first spin and continued on to better health from that first day forward.

Rouleur88 is a class act. Came here seeking advice and received more than a few slings and arrows, along with excellent advice. Kept his head above the fray.

Ride safely and far.

buldogge
06-03-2014, 10:55 PM
Good on you…and good choice on swapping out for some 32/36 handbuilts.

Now get out there and ride!

-Mark in St. Louis

I made the purchase.

donevwil
06-04-2014, 11:10 AM
Now, of course, we're expecting pics when your new ride is all set up.

I'm 240# after quite a bit of time off for surgery and can REALLY feel the extra 15 lbs and lost fitness on the bike. This thread was a bit of selfish therapy for me and my slowly developing woe-is-me attitude. It's been a struggle remaining motivated remembering how strong I once was, but I know 'not' riding is not an option. Keep motivated how ever you can. It may take a while, certainly longer than it did in one's 30's, but it'll be so worth it.

malcolm
06-04-2014, 01:51 PM
I hope you keep posting. It can help to keep you motivated. Some here can be jerks, myself included but I think everyone wants to keep you on that bike until you reach your goal and beyond or at least until the next bike and then the next....

Jack Crank
06-04-2014, 03:09 PM
Enjoy the ride man. If the bike got your heart going and you're stoked on it, then you'll ride it. Just listen to that eddy quote a few pages back and you'll be just fine.

Congrats.

I made the purchase.