PDA

View Full Version : Moab Skinny Tire Festival

PBWrench
02-14-2006, 03:22 PM
Any other forumites planning on participating this March? Four days of beautiful rides with significant climbing. The organization is superb and the vibe is fantastic. And Bobke will be in attendance this year!

http://www.skinnytirefestival.com/skinny.html

Eric E
02-14-2006, 03:31 PM
On a pair of Ti Serotta Rapidtours. A great event for a great cause, even though the last day's ride through Arches is now closed to additional riders. But don't let that discourage you - last year we didn't make use of that days's lunch anyway and did some cross-training by hiking to Delicate Arch. You can always bike the course as a private citizen, although you do have to pay the park fee.

Eric and Katie

PBWrench
02-14-2006, 03:35 PM
This will be my second time although last year I had to leave early for a business meeting and missed Arches. Looking forward to the whole deal this year. I'll be at the MVI with Team Mayflower from Minneapolis, probably on a black C40. I've also done the Moab Century -- now that is challenging! See you there.

Skrawny
02-14-2006, 10:38 PM
I did some longer versions of those rides last Spring and it was FANTASTIC. I did the CO river ride as a loop that went up and over something BIG and then back into Moab; it was only about 65 miles, but the climb and subsequent descent was epic. By far the best way to see Arches is on a bike. Can't go this year though... :crap:

Tailwinds
02-14-2006, 10:53 PM
I might go -- and by then I might be on a very orange Terraplane! You can't miss it.

Blastinbob
02-15-2006, 08:00 AM
It's such a beautiful part of the country, the pictures don't do it justice. :beer:

FierteTi52
02-15-2006, 08:13 AM
Been there mountaing biking a few times, never to the skinny tire festival. Moab is the coolest place on earth!
Jeff

Mud
02-15-2006, 08:26 AM
T & L did not launch off Dead Horse point. The road that they drove in was also off 191 (?) but goes past the potash mine and to the entry to CanyonLands. There are actually two spots where it was all filmed because the jump is more scenic in one but there was not enough room for all the cars chasing them. A mountain bike (which we did) or a CX bike will get you to the fence. On the left (before the fence I think) is where it was filmed.

If you have never ridden in Moab just double or triple what you would drink on a comparable ride at sea level. It is sneaky that way. Moab is at 4000 ft. It is a great place with plenty of local character and characters.

We miss it.