PDA

View Full Version : My first R***a jersey

druptight
05-15-2014, 09:12 PM
Remember that time you bought your first piece of Rapha gear, a lightweight jersey?
And that morning when it was almost warm enough to wear it for the first time on your AM commute, but not quite - so you wore it anyways with a merino base layer figuring you'd wear it alone on the way home?
Then you get home from work and it gets tossed in the front loader with a stack of 5 new bibs for your about to be first born (a gift that probably cost $3 at Carter's)?
Then you take it out of the wash so that it doesn't go into the dryer and find it stuck to all 5 bibs that have VELCRO on them?
PULL CITY!!!

That got me really pumped.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

rustychisel
05-15-2014, 09:21 PM
Rapha? Funny name. Is this stuff new? Have we discussed it before?

Louis
05-15-2014, 09:23 PM
It's a typo. He meant "Ralph"

http://uploads.neatorama.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/HoneymoonersRalphandEd-500x375.jpg

pdmtong
05-15-2014, 11:09 PM
Remember that time you bought your first piece of Rapha gear, a lightweight jersey?
And that morning when it was almost warm enough to wear it for the first time on your AM commute, but not quite - so you wore it anyways with a merino base layer figuring you'd wear it alone on the way home?
Then you get home from work and it gets tossed in the front loader with a stack of 5 new bibs for your about to be first born (a gift that probably cost $3 at Carter's)?
Then you take it out of the wash so that it doesn't go into the dryer and find it stuck to all 5 bibs that have VELCRO on them?
PULL CITY!!!

That got me really pumped.

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

it happens but doesnt matter. sell it here for $75 an you will get a buyer.

go to target or walmart and buy a laundry / wash bag.

if it has velcro, it goes in the bag.

another tip: wash your clothes inside out

what size are you? I am planning to unload a few more rapha lightweight jerseys

druptight
05-16-2014, 05:20 AM
it happens but doesnt matter. sell it here for $75 an you will get a buyer.

go to target or walmart and buy a laundry / wash bag.

if it has velcro, it goes in the bag.

another tip: wash your clothes inside out

what size are you? I am planning to unload a few more rapha lightweight jerseys

Thanks for the tips, they'll be handy with more and more kids stuff needing to be washed. I left it unzipped while washing, so the pulls are inside and out. I'll wear it this year as my super hot weather jersey and for commuting. You can't tell from more than a few feet away anyways. I'm a size XL.

pdmtong
05-16-2014, 09:15 AM
I'm a large so oh well to that

Back to the laundry. You will quickly find you are doing laundry a lot with a kid. If you haven't already gotten a front loading washer add that the the list of things that make a difference.

Wuth so much to wash we quickly devolved into four categories. Towels
Sheets cycling and workout clothes and then everything else.

I actually wash my bibs in a laundry bag so I don't open the washer to find the straps have strangled my jersey and stretched both out.

Gloves with Velcro go in a bag. Etc

It's not the last jersey you will own. Once I washed a jersey in a load with my kids clothes and her chewing gum got stuck all over the back of it. That took awhile to remove by sticking packing tape onto the fabric and removing it to pull the gum residue off. At that put I decided bike clothes get their own cycle. (Pun intended)

druptight
05-16-2014, 09:39 AM
I'm a large so oh well to that

Back to the laundry. You will quickly find you are doing laundry a lot with a kid. If you haven't already gotten a front loading washer add that the the list of things that make a difference.

Wuth so much to wash we quickly devolved into four categories. Towels
Sheets cycling and workout clothes and then everything else.

I actually wash my bibs in a laundry bag so I don't open the washer to find the straps have strangled my jersey and stretched both out.

Gloves with Velcro go in a bag. Etc

It's not the last jersey you will own. Once I washed a jersey in a load with my kids clothes and her chewing gum got stuck all over the back of it. That took awhile to remove by sticking packing tape onto the fabric and removing it to pull the gum residue off. At that put I decided bike clothes get their own cycle. (Pun intended)

We do have a front loader, the washer/dryer set was purchased brand new after the house which we bought 18 months ago. My wife informed me this AM that she thinks we do have a mesh laundry bag so I'll have to start utilizing it. The kids stuff will definitely get washed separately for the most part as she's using a different detergent for it. I just happened to have my bike clothes in there already yesterday when she tossed in the other stuff and I didn't even realize the bibs were velcro (as opposed to snap or some other closure).

Learned that one the hard way!

FlashUNC
05-16-2014, 09:40 AM
I always wash the bike stuff separately and in whatever wash bags we have lying around. Velcro is death.

druptight
05-16-2014, 09:51 AM
'twas this exact jersey (in XL)

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=148450

gavingould
05-16-2014, 09:57 AM
before reading closely, i was gonna ask why your bibs had velcro on 'em...

same thing around here, we wash workout garb/kit items together. zippers zipped, no velcro items, etc. the bag is a good idea as well.

Shortsocks
05-16-2014, 09:58 AM
Man, that sucks! I'm really sorry to hear.

I hand wash all of my clothes after I ride. First I clean it down with room temp water. Then I let it soak in a nonabrasive, soap for 45 mins checking up on it to make sure it's all getting clean throughout. Then I scrub it down by hand old school eastern block style. Rinse them all out with clean running water.

Air dry inside out over night in a ventilated area.....sounds like a pain in the ass but I find it kinda relaxing. Very meditative. And my gear lasts forever!

bluesea
05-16-2014, 11:11 AM
I really wanted to order a super lightweight, but having a tall collar on such a jersey is stupid.