PDA

View Full Version : Anyone using the Lake MX 331 cross shoe?

DRZRM
05-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Loved the orange since I first saw it, great looking shoe. And like the idea of a stiff lightweight shoe built on the same last as my road shoe (Lake CX401) that I can ride on trails. Has anyone ridden it for more than just cross racing? Are the soles and lugs beefy enough (I really don't walk/hike much in the trails I ride most). Is the carbon sole protected with the full cleats in place?

Found a good deal in my size ($225) and just wanted some feedback. Because of the last, I know they should fit.

Thanks!

This one.

http://cx.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/gallery/lake-cycling-mx331-cyclocross-specific-shoe/lake-cycling-mx331-cyclocross-shoe-cxmagazine-2014-img_6851-e_1.jpg
http://cx.cxmagazine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/lake-cycling-mx331-cyclocross-shoe-cxmagazine-2014-img_6849-e_11.jpg

Bruce K
05-15-2014, 08:31 PM
I know Nicole Duke and Ben Berden are sponsored but they both LOVE them as a racing shoe.

I know they train in them but I am not sure how much "recreational" riding they do.

BK

05-16-2014, 03:35 AM
Three of us rode in them for a month last fall. Here are the prevalent thoughts that came from this:

1. No flexibility for running -- you're on your toes, and the shoe has such a long cleat platform that it doesn't rock back and forth on a pivot point near the cleat -- it just plain sits there with each stride. For pure racing, it's doable. For training, for gravel, for winter, it's like walking in totally stiff high-altitude mountaineering boots.

2. If you are on roots or rocks or muddy barriers, you tend to step on those in your instep and you can go sliding all over the place. They put a small patch of rubber there and two small spikes, but you need to install more. Then they work fine.

3. The heel protector is nowhere near big enough, but easily replaced.

4. The carbon "pan" is completely waterproof. That's nice and keeps mud out, but if water gets in it tends to slosh around a bit.

5. In bad clay-loaded mud, the BOA tends to get clogged along the wire runs. Not insuperable, but more of a problem than simple closed velcro will do. The wires are NOT self-cleaning so if they get packed, you have to take care of it.

6. The toe spikes have some metal plate cleats in them akin to older soccer cleats. I guess these are nice in some circumstances, but we couldn't find a reason for them in pretty mucky riding, and they certainly keep you off any finished floors. You'll put dents all the way across any floor in a coffee shop or your home. Do you like the shoes more than your marriage?

7. The shoes do fit very nicely and are pretty warm in winter. The tongue could be a slight bit longer and on one of us the boa knob was so close to the top of the shoe that it bit into the bend of the ankle. Nice sole configuration, relatively flat and easy to customize, no funky tilts or arches, and not super wide but a very reasonable D-width. A Lake fits about like a Sidi, so you have to go up about one Euro size from a Shimano and up half a size from a Fizik, up a size and a half or so from a Northwave.

8. Very nice materials. Lake is always good at that.

In short, it's an interesting design. If you want a cross shoe that is good for actually running, you want a little more flexibility than this sole offers. If you like total rigidity, a la some Shimano mountain shoes of a few years ago, this is the one for you. Just get an old Conti Mountain King or similar tire with big knobs and cut a piece to epoxy onto the instep of the shoe so you don't go skating away if you step onto a slippery railroad tie. These are definitely worth trying if you think they are compatible with your needs. Definitely race shoes; possibly training shoes. Either way, they'll last you a long time.

rnhood
05-16-2014, 03:51 AM
Nice summary review 11.4. Very good info.

DRZRM
05-16-2014, 09:47 AM
Thanks 11.4. Good advice. I'll try a pair, but keep my Sidis for hike-a-bike/unknown trails. I figured I'll pull those metal spikes from the front as soon as I got them. 'll replace them with either baseball spikes or those heel spikes if I can find a good source for them.

Anyone who is interested, Brands Cycle & Fitness has them on sale shipped for $250, and the coupon code sprint10 will save you $25. Very limited sizing in both regular and wide fit, but if they have your size, may be worth a try.

Thanks for the good advice!