PDA

View Full Version : Support the LBS

tiretrax
05-15-2014, 04:20 PM
I went to a Performance shop to get a headset and crown race removed prior to a repaint. It was on my route, while the LBS was an extra 10 miles and through lots of traffic. Performance wanted to charge me $40. I drove the extra miles to the LBS - no charge, so I tipped the wrench $20. Gotta love the LBS. Can't get that kind of service elsewhere.

donevwil
05-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Should be titled "Support the good LBS". I'm jealous, none local to me are worth a second visit.

Louis
05-15-2014, 04:35 PM
Or, buy the tools and do it yourself:

http://bike198.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/race-puller.jpg

http://www.1977mopeds.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/0/50178-0.jpg

Tony T
05-15-2014, 04:52 PM
What's the cost of those 2 tools? About $50?

donevwil
05-15-2014, 04:55 PM
What's the cost of those 2 tools? About $50?

try $175 if you also get a crown race setting kit.

Louis
05-15-2014, 04:57 PM
Expensive, but they pay for themselves after only a few uses.

Louis
05-15-2014, 04:58 PM
try $175 if you also get a crown race setting kit.

That one's pretty easy to make yourself using some pipe.

Tony T
05-15-2014, 05:00 PM
Park makes some nice tools. And they do last a lifetime.

donevwil
05-15-2014, 05:02 PM
That one's pretty easy to make yourself using some pipe.

If you want to beat on a crown race (especially aluminum) with a piece of cut pipe go right ahead. For me the inserts to perfectly mate to a given crown race are the most important part.

Louis
05-15-2014, 05:08 PM
I "beat" on the adapters with pipe, but back before I had adapters I used PVC pipe that fit nearly as well as the adapters and did no damage at all.

Better than the guys at one LBS (back before I had tools) that pried the crown race off my CF fork with a screwdriver, damaging the CF, then just put the legs on the ground and pounded hard on the new race to install that. They didn't destroy the fork ends, but they could have, and they did scuff up the ends that were on the ground.

Needless to say, I've never been back there.

donevwil
05-15-2014, 05:12 PM
I "beat" on the adapters with pipe, but back before I had adapters I used PVC pipe that fit nearly as well as the adapters and did no damage at all.

Better than the guys at one LBS (back before I had tools) that pried the crown race off my CF fork with a screwdriver, damaging the CF, then just put the legs on the ground and pounded hard on the new race to install that. They didn't destroy the fork ends, but they could have, and they did scuff up the ends that were on the ground.

Needless to say, I've never been back there.

OK, we're coming from the same place, same experience. That gouge on my Landshark's Kestrel fork nearly 20 years ago still pisses me off no end.

oldpotatoe
05-15-2014, 05:20 PM

Really? The LBS did it for free. Even at $20, have to swap FCR, etc 9 times...

Louis
05-15-2014, 05:25 PM
Assuming you're charged of course.

If I go to an LBS and they do something for free I feel obliged to buy something, at least a pair of socks or some other $15-$20 item.

Tony T
05-15-2014, 05:31 PM
OP tipped the wrench

donevwil
05-15-2014, 05:31 PM
Expensive tools do pay for themselves when the only options are an espresso-while-you-wait shop that charges $40 for the work and mocks your rig during the process and a shop that uses a screwdriver.

93legendti
05-15-2014, 05:55 PM
The Performance Store I worked at charged $10 for that last time I had it done (and before I started working there)...the mechanic is slammed...people drive from 30 miles away to get him to work on their bikes...even with good shops local in their towns. Ymmv.

velotrack
05-15-2014, 06:04 PM
Good loyalty pays back - bikes shops, other shops, friendship, life.

This was a fine example.

SoCalSteve
05-16-2014, 10:08 AM
Expensive tools do pay for themselves when the only options are an espresso-while-you-wait shop that charges $40 for the work and mocks your rig during the process and a shop that uses a screwdriver.

Were we in the same shop????.........:eek:

CaliFly
05-16-2014, 10:19 AM

This is also assuming you do use them more than once. :)

Ti Designs
05-16-2014, 10:20 AM
Should be titled "Support the good LBS". I'm jealous, none local to me are worth a second visit.

I'm starting to think my shop is a bunch of clowns, and being a part of that I too get to wear the red nose and big shoes...

Tony
05-16-2014, 10:36 AM
I used PVC pipe that fit nearly as well as the adapters and did no damage at all. .

Same here, works great.

I make my own press using 3/4" all thread, large steel washers, plastic washers, 3/4" nuts. Maybe $8.00 in materials.

bikerboy337
05-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Cost me $10 earlier this week to have two crown races pulled, tipped another $10 for the service.... Only the 3rd time in 10 years I would have used the crown race puller, so definitely much better off at my lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fatty
05-16-2014, 10:57 AM
Since I moved to the south suburbs I really don't have a local shop that is a favorite but, the Performance bike is as good as any.
I needed a pedal tap in a hurry, like the same morning. They let me use the shops tap, no charge. The helpfull wrench even broke out thread cutting oil and rags. Good guys.

tiretrax
05-16-2014, 11:03 AM
Since I moved to the south suburbs I really don't have a local shop that is a favorite but, the Performance bike is as good as any.
I needed a pedal tap in a hurry, like the same morning. They let me use the shops tap, no charge. The helpfull wrench even broke out thread cutting oil and rags. Good guys.

Consider yourself fortunate. I thought that might be the case, but no. I went to the LBS, and the wrench said he'd do it for no charge. I was glad to tip him. I also patronize the shop.

eddief
05-16-2014, 11:06 AM
they do sh*t for free and go out of business. wonder if the owner was there when you gave the tip? or was the mech the owner?

blessthismess
05-16-2014, 11:32 AM
I consider myself very fortunate to have a great lbs right down the street. Super friendly and competent mechanics and staff. I cant afford to by Everything at shop retail prices but for anything I can't fix or instal myself I go there.

jmoore
05-16-2014, 11:36 AM
There are so few jobs that I can't do myself that I'm happy to use the LBS for those one off's. It's cheaper to let them do it instead of buying a one or two time use tool like a headset press.

blessthismess
05-16-2014, 12:01 PM
There are so few jobs that I can't do myself that I'm happy to use the LBS for those one off's. It's cheaper to let them do it instead of buying a one or two time use tool like a headset press.

Yeah basically anything that involves a headset or older style bottom bracket I take to the shop. I cant lace up wheels either, currently I am having a new set built up. Since they are the ones who are building them I bought the hubs and rims through them as well, seems fair to me. I can't wait to ride 'em!

benitosan1972
05-16-2014, 12:21 PM
I do major service jobs for cheap all the time, and small adjustments usually for free. But the owner doesn't know, I just try to help out fellow cyclists stay on the road. Probably shooting my own job security in the foot somehow by doing this, but I like to help out cyclists.

*only if you're nice though, if I smell an entitled/snooty/*sshat rat, I'll charge ya double! ;)

Netdewt
05-16-2014, 12:48 PM
The local shop that hangs Pegorettis on the wall and serves Intelligentsia just drilled out and replaced water bottle bosses on my Moser for free.

oldpotatoe
05-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I do major service jobs for cheap all the time, and small adjustments usually for free. But the owner doesn't know, I just try to help out fellow cyclists stay on the road. Probably shooting my own job security in the foot somehow by doing this, but I like to help out cyclists.

*only if you're nice though, if I smell an entitled/snooty/*sshat rat, I'll charge ya double! ;)

How will you and the shop 'help out cyclists', if they are out of biz??

Not Salvation Army of Goodwill...charging a fair fee for something isn't a four letter word. If, as an employee of a bike shop, you feel the need to hurt the owner, the guy that gave you the job...'to help out fellow cyclists'...your loyalty is misplaced, IMHO..

It's not 'us against them'..if the service charges are way outta line, say some thing to the owner, service manager but to make this decision by yourself..again, not fair to the guy who gave you the job...

benitosan1972
05-16-2014, 01:11 PM
^point taken. but it's like any other service industry with human interaction. you get back what you dish out. some cops will let you out of a ticket if you're nice, repairmen will fix little things for free, and restaurants will comp you stuff, if you're nice and most people know that. I'm just talking about small things. rates are rates for labor, but I'll do little things like tighten/re-adjust/lube gratis if the customer is nice to me. but yes, you can only help people if your shop stays in business, but charging $20 to tighten a cog or BB seems extreme, since I'm already changing the tube and halready have the wheel off the bike. but yes I agree that a shop needs to stay in business foremost, to be able to help anyone :)

benitosan1972
05-16-2014, 01:27 PM
I'm reminded of the episode in Seinfeld where, when Putty and Elaine were in good standing, Jerry got the stuff like "undercar treatment" for free, and when they were broken up, Putty charged him for everything extra. But I see and consider your point Old Potatoe. I'll charge everyone for everything now, and help my boss/owner > fellow cyclist/customer. Good point.

oldpotatoe
05-16-2014, 02:31 PM
^point taken. but it's like any other service industry with human interaction. you get back what you dish out. some cops will let you out of a ticket if you're nice, repairmen will fix little things for free, and restaurants will comp you stuff, if you're nice and most people know that. I'm just talking about small things. rates are rates for labor, but I'll do little things like tighten/re-adjust/lube gratis if the customer is nice to me. but yes, you can only help people if your shop stays in business, but charging $20 to tighten a cog or BB seems extreme, since I'm already changing the tube and halready have the wheel off the bike. but yes I agree that a shop needs to stay in business foremost, to be able to help anyone :)

You said you did 'major service jobs on the cheap all the time. 'The boss doesn't know. Tighten/lube aren't big jobs.

"Charge everybody for everything", not what I meant, just going from your first post.

Once again, please pay attention, it's not us vs. them. Owners vs cyclists. Your obligation as an employee is to follow the guidelines and direction laid down by the business owner and have some faith he knows what he is doing by doing things like, set labor rates. If you can't support that and by definition the business and owner, you are doing him, the guy who hired you, a disservice. You are being dishonest, IMHO, to 'help fellow cyclists. If ya want to do this stuff for less or free, start your own business.

You have Never been a biz owner, I get that.

parris
05-16-2014, 04:55 PM
Benitosan Just curious is it shop policy to give service away to customers? Does your employer know that you're giving freebies? If not that's a pretty lousy thing to do to the people who are signing your paycheck.

benitosan1972
05-16-2014, 05:49 PM
We are cheaper than anyone else in town here for labor rates.
We charge $50 for a bike build, $40 for a tuneup, $30 for wheelbuilds.
Minor things like swapping cranks, tightening BB's, changing tubes, cutting steerer tubes, he leaves it to me to charge what I think is fair, and I charge based upon how much time the procedure takes and how dirty my hands get while doing it. I don't do it behind his back, I do the labor, write up the order, and he rings it in the register. But if while fixing something I notice that the brakeless need adjusting, or the Lockring needs tightening, or the cones need adjusting, I usually just do that to send the bike out solid. I guess I'll start charging for that now, to contribute to business, but it usually just takes me a minute, and we have no set charge for those services anyways. I'll make up some prices as per the stern opinions being presented here, thanks!

oldpotatoe
05-16-2014, 07:11 PM
We are cheaper than anyone else in town here for labor rates.
We charge $50 for a bike build, $40 for a tuneup, $30 for wheelbuilds.
Minor things like swapping cranks, tightening BB's, changing tubes, cutting steerer tubes, he leaves it to me to charge what I think is fair, and I charge based upon how much time the procedure takes and how dirty my hands get while doing it. I don't do it behind his back, I do the labor, write up the order, and he rings it in the register. But if while fixing something I notice that the brakeless need adjusting, or the Lockring needs tightening, or the cones need adjusting, I usually just do that to send the bike out solid. I guess I'll start charging for that now, to contribute to business, but it usually just takes me a minute, and we have no set charge for those services anyways. I'll make up some prices as per the stern opinions being presented here, thanks!

Calm down, no need to get snippy. Live and learn. But your first post, 'and I don't tell the owner' and 'he lets me charge what I think is fair'.and 'he rings it up'... Are a bit different.

Your boss, the shop you work. Just my opinion from the other side if the desk...the desk where paychecks were signed. You operate how ever ya want.

Even if your shop was in Boulder, I'll never need to go in. I do my own stuff.

bking
05-16-2014, 07:38 PM
I've got an lbs i've used for service for the past 10 years, or once i got serious about this sport. They're a Trek dealer, smallish shop, but he's a great mechanic and i take all my stuff (no Treks anymore) to him.
what i consider a real favor, a real nod to me as a steady, regular customer, is small stuff he'll do on the spot. Big stuff, if i ever needed quick he'd do it. I PAY FOR EVERYTHING. And sometimes i've insisted. I'm happy to do so, keep him going, and also to make sure he's happy to see me walk into the door with whatever i'm bringing, whatever the problem may be.
it's a good relationship.

And i agree with others, you'd want to be careful giving away you're employers money (time). I own a company with employees in three states. i understand good customer service, and i understand that's what your intention is, but i'd seek direction on what that should look like from your employer, that must always be his or her decision.

benitosan1972
05-17-2014, 02:51 AM
I highly doubt any of you would turn down a free appetizer or drink at your favorite restaurant. And if you accept it...

oldpotatoe
05-17-2014, 06:45 AM
I highly doubt any of you would turn down a free appetizer or drink at your favorite restaurant. And if you accept it...

As long as the owner endorsed it or gave the person free reign to do this sort of thing.

But you wouldn't get a $100 meal for $20 cuz the waiter thought the prices were too high(and didn't tell the owner)..

You gave the impression that it was a "owner-greedy, doesn't like cyclists, just money", situation. You were the white knight, helping all those down trodden cyclists who were being taken advantage of by that evil 'owner'. Particularly on BIG jobs, 'cuz the owner doesn't know'

Then, 'charging this or that is outrageous(my term)', then, 'we don't have a published rate for that'...

But then it was 'owner let's me set prices, just rings it up'.

I'm out of this one..but I'll bet there may be a 'not for profit', bicycle co-op around your fair city..sounds like the place for you..IMHO, again.

Gummee
05-17-2014, 07:16 AM
I may be the odd man out here, but if you bring a bike in for a flat tire that's what gets fixed. I'm NOT tuning the bike for the $10 we charge for fixing a flat.

I've got a week+ backlog. There's not lots of stuff that gets fixed 'on the spot' that's more than a quick tweak and even then I've got my schedule pretty much maxed out.

No, Basic tune-ups ($50) DO NOT include installing all the farkles that you bring with you. They're extra. Changing tubes? On top of the basic tune fee. Changing chains? Ditto. You start getting more than 1-2 items installed, you're up to a Pro tune ($80) where all that's included.

M

benitosan1972
05-17-2014, 10:00 AM
Owner isn't evil.
We have some set prices.
Other than that I'm allowed to make it up.
I'm sticking to my original position that I tend to lowball minor service prices,
or just do really small things (in my eyes) for gratis. But maybe I'll just charge what everyone else like you expects me to charge. Reason being is that we don't have alot of set rules/prices and that's not my fault, so I go with it probably mistakenly on the side of the consumer, but that's my nature anyways. Squeaky chains get lubed, soft tires get pumped, loose bolts get tightened, even when they don't ask. If that makes me the evil one in your eyes, so be it. And yes, please sit this one out, for I'm tired of defending myself as well as your POV, thanks.

parris
05-17-2014, 03:31 PM
The way I read your original post on the subject I got the same info that OP had gotten. now you've stated several changes to your original post after I and others have called it into question. If it really is cool with your employer and he/she knows that you charge or don't charge for things that's great and more power to you and the shop. If you had been clear about this evidently being a shop policy nobody myself included would've called it into question. But to be clear the way your initial post read lead several to think that you're getting over on your employer. Finally the line where you stated that you'll charge people who aren't friendly double is a d****e thing to say no matter the intent.

I'm out of this one as well.

benitosan1972
05-17-2014, 04:03 PM
No one pays attention to my emoticons, haha :crap:
To reiterate, he leaves it to me to charge whatever for small things,
and I charge nothing-to-cheap for that stuff, seems like a crime to be nice these days. Our rates are low, so relatively speaking, charging little for small tasks seems appropriate and fine to me. But I'll keep arguing that I'll change this policy, so much CSI on my words, opinions, actions here. I'm out too, lol :)

rnhood
05-17-2014, 04:27 PM
Small things for gratis is a good idea, and generally leads people (cyclists) to use your services (and the shop) more. Its the little things that often count for a merchant (bike shop in this case). But a bike build at $50......that seems a bit low and I do not consider a full bike build a small thing. Round here $100 is the going rate and even that's not a bad price.

brando
05-18-2014, 08:20 PM
:fight: