PDA

View Full Version : Merckx MX-Leader value?

Rayomatic
05-15-2014, 03:01 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm trying to figure out a fair price for a complete Merckx MX-Leader, larger size frame (57-58), that I have a chance to buy.
It's in very good condition, unique paint scheme (though not a team bike) and apparently owned by a former pro (with his name printed on the tt). Looks like it has mostly Campy components, including Shamal rims, Ergo shifters, and Delta brakes, plus Fizik saddle.
Incidentally, I can't find info online about MXL production years.
I really like the bike itself (prior ownership doesn't matter much but is a nice plus, although hard to verify 100% as I doubt the seller can provide any documentation of this) and would be willing to pay a fair market price, but the seller is asking a LOT and I don't want to pay a stupid above-market price for it. I'm sure you all know what I mean...I'm the type that tends to go overboard once I fall for something, so I figured I'd get me some advice.
In any case, thanks for any and all opinions.
-Rayomatic

donevwil
05-15-2014, 03:21 PM
Was it a custom build for the original owner or does it have stock geometry ? Is it an MXL (flipped TT and special Merckx lugs) or a Max (standard MAX lugs) ? Although I realize the seller is selling it complete is your primary interest in the frameset, frameset and parts, provenance ? In other words are the parts and provenance worth $$ to you ?

Fishbike
05-15-2014, 03:35 PM
Based on my unscientific eBay monitoring, very good condition Merckx steel frames seem to go for about $600 to $900, maybe a little higher for a highly desired paint scheme. For a complete bike with quality period components in excellent shape, I would say $1200 to $1500, maybe up to as high as $1,800 of you are in love with it.

It is always interesting to me that Merckx top-tier steel frames typically go for much less than similar Colnago frames.

Rayomatic
05-15-2014, 03:37 PM
Was it a custom build for the original owner or does it have stock geometry ? Is it an MXL (flipped TT and special Merckx lugs) or a Max (standard MAX lugs) ? Although I realize the seller is selling it complete is your primary interest in the frameset, frameset and parts, provenance ? In other words are the parts and provenance worth $$ to you ?

I've never even seen an MXL in the flesh, so wouldn't know stock geometry if it bit my non-Euclidean rear! The Columbus sticker says MXL. I can try and show some pics of the lugs and TT.
I like the complete bike, parts and all, and would keep/ride it as-is (maybe some new tires and bar tape down the line).
The provenance is just a little icing on the cake...it wasn't Eddy :) but another Belgian racer.

Rayomatic
05-15-2014, 03:44 PM
Based on my unscientific eBay monitoring, very good condition Merckx steel frames seem to go for about $600 to $900, maybe a little higher for a highly desired paint scheme. For a complete bike with quality period components in excellent shape, I would say $1200 to $1500, maybe up to as high as $1,800 of you are in love with it.

I can tell you that the seller is asking a good deal more than that!
I am in love with it, which is what makes it a dangerous situation for my wallet.
Here's a pic.
BTW: Cinelli stem and handlebars.

donevwil
05-15-2014, 03:53 PM
I've never even seen an MXL in the flesh, so wouldn't know stock geometry if it bit my non-Euclidean rear! The Columbus sticker says MXL. I can try and show some pics of the lugs and TT.
I like the complete bike, parts and all, and would keep/ride it as-is (maybe some new tires and bar tape down the line).
The provenance is just a little icing on the cake...it wasn't Eddy :) but another Belgian racer.

First, Merckx MXLs are highly desirable, at least to those who highly desire them. I'd do almost anything for one, but alas it would have to be a custom geo (longer than stock Merckx TT). I finally found a custom SL/SP Merckx (built for a Belgian neo-pro). Bought the frameset with panto Cinelli stem, Campy headset, BB and seatpost for $600 plus shipping from France.

I think Fishbike's numbers are right on for standard tubing. Add $$ when it's just what you want, have been waiting years for, is the right size, etc

If the sticker says MXL than 99% sure it's an MXL, in general more desirable than a MAX Merckx. Are the parts top of the line, Dura Ace or Campy Chorus/Record, I assume 8 spd ? With your wanting to ride it as is I'd go as high as $2k if it's near mint, just what you want and ± a few hundred $ isn't going to put you into a painful place. If the seller is asking is the $3k neighborhood it may be hard to deal with him on realistic terms.

Edit: Just saw your pic, Campy Record with five pivot last gen Deltas, Shamals and a beautiful paintjob. If you have the means I don't think upping the ante is out of the question. Worth and worth-to-you are two very different things. If $3k gets it and you're OK with it, you couldn't duplicate it today for under $6k.

wildboar
05-15-2014, 03:57 PM
This is the MXL Eddy made for Patrick Sercu, right?

Rayomatic
05-15-2014, 03:59 PM
This is the MXL Eddy made for Patrick Sercu, right?

That's the name, and that's the claim! Can't find a pic of Patrick riding it, though...

donevwil
05-15-2014, 03:59 PM
Is that Belgium paint ? Guess so.

Only one set of bottle braze-ons, none on the seat tube ? That would suggest custom.

Rayomatic
05-15-2014, 04:00 PM
Yep, Belgian flag colours.

donevwil
05-15-2014, 04:08 PM
So the Merckx - Patrick Sercu relationship is significant and adds a lot to the value IMO.

Rayomatic
05-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Edit: Just saw your pic, Campy Record with five pivot last gen Deltas, Shamals and a beautiful paintjob. If you have the means I don't think upping the ante is out of the question. Worth and worth-to-you are two very different things. If $3k gets it and you're OK with it, you couldn't duplicate it today for under $6k.

Thanks, donevwil, for all your input. I was thinking "hey, if the guy doesn't budge on price, then just pick up an MXL frame off ebay, get it painted the same, and buy the parts." And then I started looking into what it would cost...

I wouldn't want to be the only one who thinks the Sercu connection makes it worth more, as I'd be stuck if I ever had to sell it, which is a big reason why I wanted to get some other opinions.

wildboar
05-15-2014, 04:09 PM
Here's a story of some kids playing around with it:

http://fyxo.co/reports/a-sunday-in-hell-paris-roobaix/#1

Rayomatic
05-15-2014, 04:11 PM
Here's a story of some kids playing around with it:

http://fyxo.co/reports/a-sunday-in-hell-paris-roobaix/#1

Yep, saw that! I've been doing a lot of searching on this bike for the past week or so.

christian
05-15-2014, 04:15 PM
The Sercu bike is more than I would pay, but it's one of a kind. If that means there's another buyer who would pay close to that price is another question. It's been for sale a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

donevwil
05-15-2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks, donevwil, for all your input. I was thinking "hey, if the guy doesn't budge on price, then just pick up an MXL frame off ebay, get it painted the same, and buy the parts." And then I started looking into what it would cost...

I wouldn't want to be the only one who thinks the Sercu connection makes it worth more, as I'd be stuck if I ever had to sell it, which is a big reason why I wanted to get some other opinions.

Not that you'd ever do it, nor that I condone it, but I often use the "what could I get for it parted out" theory when I'm looking at bikes, classic cars, etc. A skilled ebay flipper could pull in something on the $2500 - $3000 front without considering the provenance.

Rayomatic
05-15-2014, 04:21 PM
The Sercu bike is more than I would pay, but it's one of a kind. If that means there's another buyer who would pay close to that price is another question. It's been for sale a LOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

You nailed it, Christian. My main problem is I'm always attracted to one-of-a-kindness, which does no kindness to my bank balance. I know it was on ebay for a while. My sister lives in Brussels (I'm 2nd-gen Canadian, Belgian parents) and is visiting me in Canada this summer. Says she could bring it with her, saving me lots on shipping, duties, etc. So for me it's a matter of how high could I offer without getting into "stupid" territory.

Rayomatic
05-22-2014, 09:16 AM
The seller put it back up on ebay with some more details about components. He's asking $3490 USD including shipping from France.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/271499666170?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2648

I've sent him some other questions by email, but he hasn't answered yet.
I wonder if he was insulted by my offer? But really, he's asking quite a bit for a bike whose provenance he hasn't given any evidence for (prior Patrick Sercu ownership, which is what I mainly asked him about), and I already offered more than the top price suggested for a complete MX-Leader by Fishbike.
(then again, a frame alone just sold on ebay for $922:
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Vintage-90s-EDDY-MERCKX-MX-LEADER-frameset-WOW-/141212752909?pt=US_Bicycles_Frames&hash=item20e0ef9c0d)
Thoughts?

texbike
05-22-2014, 09:51 AM
Hmmm. I'm not sure how I missed this thread before...

Here's my take on it - MXLs usually bring a premium of 30-50% more than comparable condition/color Corsas/Centuries/Etc. MXLs in the most desirable paint schemes (think team colors like Motorola, TKom, Belgian colors, etc) tend to bring premiums over their comparable condition but "lesser" painted MXL brethren. Even taking the potential Sercu ownership possibility out of the equation, I still believe that this would be a $1200-$1400 frameset due to the paint and condition.

Five-pivot Deltas bring $250 pretty easily in decent condition. First Gen Ergo shifters (notice the small bump at the bottom of the shifters?) bring about $250 as well due to their rarity. C/8 speed Record cranksets bring around $125 as do C Record seatposts. I'm not sure about Shamals at this point, but perhaps $400? HS/BBs bring about $75 each in good shape.

IMO, there's a solid $2000-$2500 in pieces there. I would think that an offer in that range would be reasonable. However, keep in mind that complete bikes are rarely worth as much as the sum of their parts.

EDIT....... I forgot the derailleurs! A nice, 8 speed Record derailleur set could bring a couple hundred bucks. HOWEVER, looking at a close-up of the rear derailleur on this bike, it appears that it may have the crack above the top bolt that so many of the Campy derailleurs from that era had. I would be sure to ask about it...

Good luck with it! It's a beautiful bike!!!

Texbike

christian
05-22-2014, 09:57 AM
If that bike were a 57, I'd happily buy it at $2500, because it's a unique bike with a nice parts spec, and like Texbike, I couldn't care less if I could resell an MX Leader in my size.

But $3500 for me is a "no way" price.

BTW, do you really think there is any question on the provenance of the bike? That seems silly. The seller is well-known, Patrick is friends with Eddy, etc. The price is stiff, but I think the bike is clearly what the seller says it is.

christian
05-22-2014, 09:58 AM
BTW, that saddle is beastly.

Aaron O
05-22-2014, 10:11 AM
I agree with the two comments above me - it's a truly lovely bike, I dig the paint and it has pricey bits on it. I'd place it's value at around $2000ish as well. I probably would not pay the seller's price, but others might have more money than me. He's high, but it's his bike. I have bikes I wouldn't sell for what I thought their average value was.

If you have the cash, and it's worth it to you...go for it. I do think it's ambitious pricing.

Rayomatic
05-22-2014, 10:24 AM
BTW, do you really think there is any question on the provenance of the bike? That seems silly. The seller is well-known, Patrick is friends with Eddy, etc. The price is stiff, but I think the bike is clearly what the seller says it is.

I don't know the seller, or his reputation. I just think it's a good general policy to be skeptical before forking over big money ("no way" money, as you said!), especially when treading unfamiliar waters. I'm no expert, so I can't look at Sercu's name painted on a top tube (which, let's face it, is something easy to do), and say "yep, that's the real deal alright" with enough confidence to hand over upwards of $3k. But I'm asking him questions that I think can be reasonably answered by an honest seller, which I like to think him to be, and will be keeping in mind the nominal value of the bike w/out the provenance, which I thank everyone (including you and texbike) for advising on.

R3awak3n
05-22-2014, 10:30 AM
also nobody seems to have mentioned the shamals which in great condition can go up to like $700 or more.

texbike
05-22-2014, 10:39 AM
also nobody seems to have mentioned the shamals which in great condition can go up to like $700 or more.

I did. However, I wasn't sure of an accurate value so stated $400ish.

Texbike

FlashUNC
05-22-2014, 10:39 AM
The heart wants what the heart wants.

That being said, lot of simpler ways to get into an MXL.

The Sercu connection is an excellent one -- if legit -- and the parts will draw quite a pretty penny as well if you wanted to go in a different direction.

However, that being said, for me, I'd pass and look for something that's a bit less one-off.

R3awak3n
05-22-2014, 10:48 AM
I did. However, I wasn't sure of an accurate value so stated $400ish.

Texbike

oh yeah you did :)

I sold my ventos for about $300 with a broken spoke, I see ventos go for $400 and shamals go for way more, specially in mint condition (those seem in amazing shape)

John H.
05-22-2014, 10:58 AM
I think many of these that come up for sale are over-priced.
Consider that you are buying a 20 year old frame that will result in a heavy full bike (not an issue to some but we do live in the age of lightweight bikes).
Also, many feel like the MX Leader is over-build for all but strong and/or heavy riders.
If that is really your jam and you like nostalgia- go for it. If you want a really nice bike for a lot of riding you should look at a modern steel bike. Better in every way.
Also, I don't consider a pro ridden/owned bike to be a plus. Especially if it was raced on. They put their gear through all sorts of torture.

texbike
05-22-2014, 11:08 AM
I think many of these that come up for sale are over-priced.
Consider that you are buying a 20 year old frame that will result in a heavy full bike (not an issue to some but we do live in the age of lightweight bikes).
Also, many feel like the MX Leader is over-build for all but strong and/or heavy riders.
If that is really your jam and you like nostalgia- go for it. If you want a really nice bike for a lot of riding you should look at a modern steel bike. Better in every way.
Also, I don't consider a pro ridden/owned bike to be a plus. Especially if it was raced on. They put their gear through all sorts of torture.

Heretic! How dare you!?!?!?! Burn him!!!! ;)

Texbike

christian
05-22-2014, 11:28 AM
They ride nice.

Any bike made for Patrick Sercu in 1996 probably wasn't chucked in the back of the Solo Superia service course...

bikingshearer
05-22-2014, 11:34 AM
. . . Also, I don't consider a pro ridden/owned bike to be a plus. Especially if it was raced on. They put their gear through all sorts of torture.

Patrick Sercu is a contemporary of Eddy's. I believe they raced as juniors together and they later rode Six-Day events together. He was retired by the time Eddy opened shop, and long before MX Leaders were even a glimmer in somebody's eye.

Doesn't detract from your point, and who knows what else Sercu did with it assuming it was his bike (and it would appear that the one thing we know he did with it was sell it or give it away - just sayin'), but he certainly did not race as a pro on it.

Rayomatic
05-22-2014, 12:37 PM
He retired in 1983, right?

Aaron O, FlashUNC, John H.: much appreciate your input.

BTW Christian, how does one date an MXL? I'm not even sure what the production years are. Any online resources for that info?

donevwil
05-22-2014, 12:57 PM
... how does one date an MXL? I'm not even sure what the production years are. Any online resources for that info?

This (http://www.cadre.org/Merckx/) may help.

texbike
05-22-2014, 01:36 PM
This (http://www.cadre.org/Merckx/) may help.

This can help, but keep in mind that there are many exceptions to the guidelines laid out in the link. Out of the 3 Merckxs that I currently have, none of them conforms to the formats shown or accurately denotes the model or year.

Texbike

donevwil
05-22-2014, 01:43 PM
:)This can help, but keep in mind that there are many exceptions to the guidelines laid out in the link. Out of the 3 Merckxs that I currently have, none of them conforms to the formats shown or accurately denotes the model or year.

Texbike

You are indeed correct (hence my use of the word "may" :)). Even with my '88/'89 custom-for-someone-else-ex-race-bike purchased from the same seller, it did assist in narrowing down the year of manufacture. Still don't know what tubing is used.

KJMUNC
05-22-2014, 03:22 PM
How long has this owner had the bike? I used to follow the MXL market religiously and I swear this exact bike was sold several years ago (4-5 maybe?) and I seem to recall being surprised that it sold for lower than I expected. Sure, a lot of the components have gone up in value since then, but I'm pretty sure it was in the sub-$2k range.

Great looking bike and if someone is willing to spend $3500 on it then it's worth it to them, but I agree with all of the other comments. Having owned and sold an MXL, they are great bikes, but for me not at that price.

Rayomatic
05-22-2014, 03:46 PM
How long has this owner had the bike? I used to follow the MXL market religiously and I swear this exact bike was sold several years ago (4-5 maybe?) and I seem to recall being surprised that it sold for lower than I expected. Sure, a lot of the components have gone up in value since then, but I'm pretty sure it was in the sub-$2k range.

I actually found some info about one referred to as "Belgium Flag Edition" on this site, which is what led me here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/printthread.php?t=96989&pp=40
But I don't think that was the same bike. That one ended up selling for $1000.

The Sercu seller says he bought it 4 years ago in Belgium. Didn't say if that was through ebay or not. He definitely upgraded the wheels and some other components.

tiretrax
05-22-2014, 04:32 PM
I bet it's pieced together. Also, shouldn't the shiny bits be pantographed?

texbike
05-22-2014, 04:48 PM
I bet it's pieced together. Also, shouldn't the shiny bits be pantographed?

All of the Campy parts (except for the Shamals) seem to be a similar vintage (early Ergo 8). However, the parts (except for the Shamals) are older than the frameset.

Texbike

KJMUNC
05-22-2014, 04:51 PM
I actually found some info about one referred to as "Belgium Flag Edition" on this site, which is what led me here:
http://forums.thepaceline.net/printthread.php?t=96989&pp=40
But I don't think that was the same bike. That one ended up selling for $1000.

I specifically remember a Sercu bike being for sale before, as I was considering buying it just for the historical value even though it wouldn't fit.

Not that it really matters at this point, but interesting to see it changing hands again at a much higher price.

Rayomatic
05-25-2014, 08:57 PM
Well folks,

To quote what the seller wrote:

"I have bought the bike 4 years before beside the city of Ostende. When I have seen the bike it was a surprise because the seller don't said me that the bike was owned by Patrick Sercu. I have bought it for the "belgium" color. But to know that icome from Sercu was better. The seller said me that i have bought the bike to Sercu because he is a friend of him. [these two statements in bold seem contradictory -Ed] No Paper with bike of course.[...] The bike had a special color who can explain by a special order. Sercu is a personal friend of Merckx you know. This guy was in the Merclx's team and he won a lot of track races with Merckx. Merckx had do this special color schem for his friend. The name "Patrick Sercu" is under the finish. it's not a sticker with a name.."

Hey, Patrick Sercu is still alive and well and living in Roeselare, so why not ask him? I did a little digging and found an email address, so I wrote hoping he could settle the matter himself, despite his busy schedule organizing the Six Days of Ghent. And here's what I just got back:

Patrick Sercu (patrick@xxxxxx.xxx)
6:16 PM
Hi,
Sorry but that was not my bike,
Patrick Sercu

So this becomes very interesting. As someone asked re: this bike on another forum, "Why would Patrick have sold it?" Maybe the explanation is that he didn't!
So what is it? A custom order by a big Sercu fan, maybe? I can't imagine someone having the bike painted up just for the sake of a scam, whether it was the current or previous seller. He might very well be honest as the day is long, but perhaps too carried away by his imagination. You just never know: I've seen other ads for the same bike in Vancouver, Russia, and France, using the same pictures, which the seller said are fake ads. There's an EMX-525 on Craigslist in Pittsburgh for $1000...using the exact same pics from one that sold in California on Ebay recently for over three times the price. It's a cruel world. Helps to do some research.

I like the bike itself and have no doubt that it's an MX-Leader, but I don't feel too confident now in paying such a a high premium for it.
:no:

This emptor gonna caveat.

christian
05-25-2014, 09:13 PM
Well, how about that!?

bobswire
05-25-2014, 09:53 PM
Well folks,

To quote what the seller wrote:

"I have bought the bike 4 years before beside the city of Ostende. When I have seen the bike it was a surprise because the seller don't said me that the bike was owned by Patrick Sercu. I have bought it for the "belgium" color. But to know that icome from Sercu was better. The seller said me that i have bought the bike to Sercu because he is a friend of him. [these two statements in bold seem contradictory -Ed] No Paper with bike of course.[...] The bike had a special color who can explain by a special order. Sercu is a personal friend of Merckx you know. This guy was in the Merclx's team and he won a lot of track races with Merckx. Merckx had do this special color schem for his friend. The name "Patrick Sercu" is under the finish. it's not a sticker with a name.."

Hey, Patrick Sercu is still alive and well and living in Roeselare, so why not ask him? I did a little digging and found an email address, so I wrote hoping he could settle the matter himself, despite his busy schedule organizing the Six Days of Ghent. And here's what I just got back:

Patrick Sercu (patrick@xxxxxx.xxx)
6:16 PM
Hi,
Sorry but that was not my bike,
Patrick Sercu

So this becomes very interesting. As someone asked re: this bike on another forum, "Why would Patrick have sold it?" Maybe the explanation is that he didn't!
So what is it? A custom order by a big Sercu fan, maybe? I can't imagine someone having the bike painted up just for the sake of a scam, whether it was the current or previous seller. He might very well be honest as the day is long, but perhaps too carried away by his imagination. You just never know: I've seen other ads for the same bike in Vancouver, Russia, and France, using the same pictures, which the seller said are fake ads. There's an EMX-525 on Craigslist in Pittsburgh for $1000...using the exact same pics from one that sold in California on Ebay recently for over three times the price. It's a cruel world. Helps to do some research.

I like the bike itself and have no doubt that it's an MX-Leader, but I don't feel too confident now in paying such a a high premium for it.
:no:

This emptor gonna caveat.

Well then, that just knocked the asking price by at least half.;)

wildboar
05-26-2014, 01:07 AM
I had just assumed it was a presentation piece or a gift made for him! Who would have thought you could just email a question to someone using the internet!

Rayomatic
05-28-2014, 09:17 AM
I forwarded Patrick Sercu's email to the seller. He thanked me and said he updated the ebay auction. He did update it, by listing the frame and fork only for a $1690 USD asking price (including worldwide shipping).

That still seems mighty steep for just the frame and fork.

texbike
05-28-2014, 09:22 AM
I forwarded Patrick Sercu's email to the seller. He thanked me and said he updated the ebay auction. He did update it, by listing the frame and fork only for a $1690 USD asking price (including worldwide shipping).

That still seems mighty steep for just the frame and fork.

IMO, that's still high but not ridiculous. I don't believe that it'll sell for that. If you're truly interested in it, send him an offer that is more in line with the market. Perhaps $1400 on the high side?

Texbike

christian
05-28-2014, 09:29 AM
I sold a boring color MX-L in a similar size here for $825 (I think, maybe $875). I think that one is a very good deal at $1200 and still reasonable at $1500.

If you like it, I think you should buy it. You won't find another.

Rayomatic
05-28-2014, 10:13 AM
I'll see. I've never done a build before so getting a complete bike was more attractive to me, and all those Campy parts were a nice incentive, though I do really like the frame/fork. I guess I could turn it into a long-term project...it's not an immediate need, just a want!

Whoops, I see he's had 2 offers already. I guess I opened myself up to competition by posting here! :-)

texbike
05-28-2014, 11:04 AM
Whoops, I see he's had 2 offers already. I guess I opened myself up to competition by posting here! :-)

I doubt that the forum members here are the ONLY ones that look at auctions for MXLs... :rolleyes:

Since the bike didn't belong to Sercu, it doesn't have any significant provenance or anything that would make it stand out from another MXL other than the paint. The alternative is to find a lower-priced MXL in a different color scheme and have someone like Al Wanta slap a fresh coat of paint on it in the colors that you like. However, you would still end up paying $700-$900 for a decent MXL frameset and would spend at least $500 to replicate the paint job that is on the bike in the auction. AND the paint wouldn't be original (assuming here that the paint on the bike in the auction IS original).

Texbike

Rayomatic
05-28-2014, 11:58 AM
I doubt that the forum members here are the ONLY ones that look at auctions for MXLs... :rolleyes: Texbike

Indeed! Just japes of course. All's fair in the wild marketplace.

I suppose with a build I can spread the cost of components out over time.

UPDATE: looks like the seller declined both those offers. Not sure, but it also looks like they were both made by the same person.

Ken Robb
05-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Aren't the most important considerations:Do I want it? Can I afford it? Is there anything else I would rather have for the price?

OTOH if you think you will want to sell it pretty soon THEN other peoples' opinions as to "market value" may be important. :)

Rayomatic
05-28-2014, 12:12 PM
A point I've often made to talk myself into buying something I want but can't rationally justify! If I had oodles of cash to burn I'd think nothing of it, but a rich man I ain't, hence must haggle and wring hands.

I would not be selling it soon, I'm sure. I'm more of a "buy and hold" kind of guy.

donevwil
05-28-2014, 12:20 PM
Aren't the most important considerations:Do I want it? Can I afford it? Is there anything else I would rather have for the price?

OTOH if you think you will want to sell it pretty soon THEN other peoples' opinions as to "market value" may be important. :)

I really agree with this post. Same applies to Delta brakes, Merlin Newsboys, etc. How does one really put a value on something used and very desirable to a very small niche. It's clear you want it and why not. You've already put hundreds of dollars of time into your research, in the long run it'll make a much better story if you do buy it.

tuscanyswe
05-28-2014, 12:35 PM
There are no bikes i bought that i really regretted even if sold shortly with a small loss. There are however a few i dident buy that i regret very much not pursuing. Its the ones that gets away you think about, not the ones you had and dismissed for whatever reasons imo.

jet sanchez
05-28-2014, 01:16 PM
You nailed it, Christian. My main problem is I'm always attracted to one-of-a-kindness, which does no kindness to my bank balance. I know it was on ebay for a while. My sister lives in Brussels (I'm 2nd-gen Canadian, Belgian parents) and is visiting me in Canada this summer. Says she could bring it with her, saving me lots on shipping, duties, etc. So for me it's a matter of how high could I offer without getting into "stupid" territory.

Since you have an "in" in Belgium, I would just search the craigslists over there for a nice leader and have your sister bring it over on the plane. I have three Merckx' and they were all shipped over from Belgium by a friend of mine and even though the shipping charge is high, I am still way ahead as I am not paying eBay prices.

www.2dehands.be
www.kapaza.be

Rayomatic
05-28-2014, 01:22 PM
Thanks, Jet. I've looked around on 2dehands.be and 2ememain.be (I can handle French and understand a bit of Flemish to boot). Didn't know about kapaza, so thanks for that.

Seen other bikes there, but this particular one has really caught my eye. Can always make an offer and see what happens.

Rayomatic
05-28-2014, 04:22 PM
There are no bikes i bought that i really regretted even if sold shortly with a small loss. There are however a few i dident buy that i regret very much not pursuing. Its the ones that gets away you think about, not the ones you had and dismissed for whatever reasons imo.

Heheh, I can always afford to regret, but can't always afford to buy!

tuscanyswe
05-28-2014, 04:31 PM
Heheh, I can always afford to regret, but can't always afford to buy!

Can you really put a price on piece of mind :)?
I get what you r saying ofc you dont want to pay a ludicrous amount but if its in the ballpark and its a frame thats rare and you really want, its hard to resist and the times i did i often regret it later.

Rayomatic
08-13-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm arranging to buy the frame from the seller outside Ebay by paying him in monthly installments (which helps me finance the bugger), and he'll ship when paid in full.
That'll give me time to figure out what kinds of goodies to put on it for a classy build!
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTYwMFgxMjAw/z/mYIAAOSwGzlTxV7g/$_35.JPG

Thanks to all for the advice.

christian
08-13-2014, 01:44 PM
Nice. You'll never regret it. That bike is gorgeous. And MX-Ls ride so so nice!

Rayomatic
08-13-2014, 02:41 PM
Nice. You'll never regret it. That bike is gorgeous. And MX-Ls ride so so nice!

Thanks! I'm going to take the time to build it up right. Will post pics when done, though it will take about a year or so.

wildboar
08-13-2014, 02:49 PM
That was an example of some seriously savvy shopping.

Ralph
08-13-2014, 02:56 PM
Geez.....That exhausted me!

mccx
08-13-2014, 03:37 PM
Next time I find a dream bike that's out of my budget I'm putting Rayomatic on the case.