PDA

View Full Version : Decisions . . . Colnago EPS?

gngroup
05-15-2014, 01:57 PM
I'm looking for some insight/help from fellow forum members. I came across a mint condition Colnago EPS that I really like. I"m being offered the frame and group (2013 Campy SR mechanical) with or without wheels. $3,800 without wheels. I'm not sure if I should pull the trigger or wait for a C59 which was my next planned purchase.

Any thoughts would be helpful.

Pic:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-a_KfY2KYX3c/U3UNQPgPxaI/AAAAAAAAESI/giMPxKR9Su4/s800/IMG_1722.JPG

texbike
05-15-2014, 02:03 PM
Good looking bike, but it doesn't seem like a great deal. Personally I would stick with your C40 until the right C59 comes along.

Texbike

gngroup
05-15-2014, 02:12 PM
Good looking bike, but it doesn't seem like a great deal. Personally I would stick with your C40 until the right C59 comes along.

Texbike

Thanks. I woke up today with that exact thought. Still, I figured I'd throw it out there for some additional opinions.

nismosr
05-15-2014, 02:26 PM
PR99 color is hard to come by,for $3000 minus wheels and my size I'll take it.

gngroup
05-15-2014, 02:31 PM
PR99 color is hard to come by,for $3000 minus wheels and my size I'll take it.

Yeah, I love the color. At $3k I'd consider it pretty strongly. I'd probably swap out the Campy for DA so I'd need to sell that. Sell bars/stem. If I got the frame for roughly $2k, I think it wouldn't be too bad. The guy says it's new, built up but new.

tuscanyswe
05-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Hard to tell sizes on these for me but what size is it?

gngroup
05-15-2014, 02:43 PM
Hard to tell sizes on these for me but what size is it?

59cm traditional. 57.2 top tube

chismog
05-15-2014, 03:25 PM
I have an EPS and it's hard to imagine a better bike. It was the first Colnago to have a tapered fork, and also the first to use an integrated headset.

My question is, what do you get from a C59 that you don't get from the EPS? To me the major difference is just the tube shapes, and frankly I prefer the round shapes on the EPS. Oh, and don't think the round tubes aren't manipulated in all sorts of ways- every tube is tapered (almost like a Legend or CSI) and some have internal ribbing to add stiffness.

Personally, I like the more traditional look of the EPS. YMMV, but you won't go wrong whichever you choose.

FWIW I paid ~2.7k last year for my used EPS with chorus 11 and eurus wheels. The one you're looking at seems pretty freakin' awesome.

tuscanyswe
05-15-2014, 03:29 PM

Ah okay was wondering since there is a 61 c59 in the classifieds but thats gonna be to big for you then.

Its a nice looking bike!

beeatnik
05-15-2014, 03:34 PM
Yeah, I love the color. At $3k I'd consider it pretty strongly. I'd probably swap out the Campy for DA so I'd need to sell that. Sell bars/stem. If I got the frame for roughly $2k, I think it wouldn't be too bad. The guy says it's new, built up but new.

Have him drop the price by another $300 without the bars and stem. Then you'd be pretty close to $2000 for the frame. A new 2 large EPS is a better value than a used C59 (where you wont have your choice of paint). New C59s are still $3500/plus overseas, right? In the end it's just a matter of taste because in terms of handling and stiffness, they're nearly identical.

ColnagoFan
05-15-2014, 03:57 PM

God...this is like my white whale...if only I could afford it.
That is a fantastic bike, and I honestly don't think you're giving up very much to a C59, but price should be less of course.

gngroup
05-15-2014, 04:40 PM
Have him drop the price by another $300 without the bars and stem. Then you'd be pretty close to $2000 for the frame. A new 2 large EPS is a better value than a used C59 (where you wont have your choice of paint). New C59s are still $3500/plus overseas, right? In the end it's just a matter of taste because in terms of handling and stiffness, they're nearly identical.

Good points. I'm trying to get him down on price a bit. My C40 is a 59cm and this one would be a good fit. I guess the whole frame/group is unused so maybe it's worth a bit more than I thought. Again, I'd sell the gruppo anyway but.

Sounds like the differences between the C59 and the EPS are very very minimal. I read a good review of the EPS yesterday as I wasn't all that familiar with it.

beeatnik
05-15-2014, 05:22 PM
Sounds like the differences between the C59 and the EPS are very very minimal. I read a good review of the EPS yesterday as I wasn't all that familiar with it.

If the SR Ti group is new, it's an even better deal.

The EPS is definitely a modern classic. Just ask this guy:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1544871&postcount=1

gngroup
05-15-2014, 06:53 PM
If the SR Ti group is new, it's an even better deal.

The EPS is definitely a modern classic. Just ask this guy:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=1544871&postcount=1

Thanks. Small world - I sold Rich my Merckx MXL earlier this year! I asked and it sounds like the group and bike are built but not ridden. I don't know that I can call that truly 'new' from a resale standpoint but it is the SR Ti group.

kramnnim
05-19-2014, 07:57 AM
So...how stiff/harsh are the EPS frames? I see one my size and I'm so very tempted...

sante pollastri
05-19-2014, 08:27 AM
I have an EPS and it's hard to imagine a better bike. It was the first Colnago to have a tapered fork, and also the first to use an integrated headset.

My question is, what do you get from a C59 that you don't get from the EPS? To me the major difference is just the tube shapes, and frankly I prefer the round shapes on the EPS. Oh, and don't think the round tubes aren't manipulated in all sorts of ways- every tube is tapered (almost like a Legend or CSI) and some have internal ribbing to add stiffness.

Personally, I like the more traditional look of the EPS. YMMV, but you won't go wrong whichever you choose.

FWIW I paid ~2.7k last year for my used EPS with chorus 11 and eurus wheels. The one you're looking at seems pretty freakin' awesome.

this,and tubes and lugs were made by ATR,Colonnella,Italy.
now??

wooly
05-19-2014, 08:58 AM
Tempting deal. The color is beautiful - one of my favorites. Try and see if the guy will move on price a bit? But I get the feeling this one will be yours soon. :)

RichTheRoadie
06-30-2014, 07:00 AM
Thanks. Small world - I sold Rich my Merckx MXL earlier this year!
Want to buy my EPS?...!

Great bike (seriously, one of the top 5 of the 32 I've owned in the last 11yrs - and 2 of that top 5 are MTBs), but I've got a guilt trip about my Baum not being used, so I'm selling my EPS to fund putting that back together.