PDA

View Full Version : Fine gesture by Olympian

fiamme red
02-14-2006, 02:56 PM
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060214/SPORTS17/602140436/1065

Bill Bove
02-14-2006, 07:06 PM
Thanks for passing this along. It's nice to know some of these guys have a sociol concious. How many sponsers can a speedskater have? I'm sure that 25K means more to him than say Barry Bonds or that guy who won that bike race over in France.

Dekonick
02-14-2006, 07:14 PM
Thanks for sharing. :)

Great story.

IXXI
02-14-2006, 07:20 PM
Heard about it this morning on NPR. Makes me all the more impressed with the guy; inspiring on a lot of levels and a real wake up call to "celebrities" in any sport or any circle... not that everyone *has* to do that, but its really cool to know that some(one) does and that that kind of heart exists at all.

P.S. And I know some of that heart is demonstrated on this board sometimes too. Peace.

roman meal
02-14-2006, 07:42 PM
My wife worked in the Peace Corps in Chad and we have friends who have worked/work in the bordering Darfur region of Sudan. No one, and I mean no one, ever mentions Chad on the media. The refugees in this area that this skater is directing his funds to are currently suffering incredibly, and i think that he is very saavy and smart to direct his "15 seconds" of microphone time to this. This goes a long way to chip the cynical veneer off of me after the excesses of the superbowl, Heras, Millar, Johnny Damon, and on.. Go to the website- www.righttoplay.org - Volunteering for twelve months as a sports coordinator would be great- No agenda, no politics, no lost money, just the opportunity, if only for a brief time, to provide to others the release that sports bring to us. I mean, I take for granted the ability I have to go out for a ride when I want to, and in a culture that commodifies sport (watching the superbowl for the commercials), wow, what a cool thing to do.
Hey- thanks for reading the rant.

RM

gasman
02-14-2006, 07:48 PM
Very cool ! Thanks for the link. There are some really great people in this world doing the right thing.
I think few of us could measure up, I'm not sure I can.

Samster
02-15-2006, 02:48 AM
Not to move away from the core topic of this thread, but that boy is freakin fast. He has a lot of zip.