PDA

View Full Version : Europe, Cycling and War

MattTuck
05-15-2014, 11:35 AM
One of the characteristics of Europe is how war has ravaged and shaped the landscape and culture over the last 2000 years. Since cycling covers many of the roads and cities that have been affected by war it provides (me atleast) a chance to learn and reflect on the sacrifices made by soldiers from all over the world.

Cycling is also unique because many of the races have long histories that were interrupted by war.

Today, the Giro d'Italia finished a stage at Montecassino (Monte Cassino), the site of a battle in World War II. Wikipedia Link for those interested. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Monte_Cassino) The battle occurred 70 years ago this May.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/53/Bundesarchiv_Bild_146-2005-0004%2C_Italien%2C_Monte_Cassino.jpg

fiamme red
05-15-2014, 11:46 AM
From the Wikipedia entry:

The U.S. government’s official position on the bombing of Monte Cassino underwent remarkable changes over a quarter century. The certainty of “irrefutable evidence” of German use of the abbey was removed from the record in 1961 by the Office of the Chief of Military History. A congressional inquiry to the same office in the 20th anniversary year of the bombing produced the statement: “It appears that no German troops, except a small military police detachment, were actually inside the abbey” before the bombing. The final correction to the U.S. Army’s official record was made in 1969 and concluded that “the abbey was actually unoccupied by German troops.

malcolm
05-15-2014, 11:46 AM
The men and women of WW 2 are almost gone. That was the only war I can think of with a clear right and wrong, good vs evil if you will. I know it's never that simple but that one was about as close as you can get. Hopefully as the participants pass we'll remember them and they won't be lost to just historians and history buffs.

bikingshearer
05-15-2014, 11:49 AM
The sad part is that we (the Allies) bombed the monastery into that condition to keep the Germans from using it as a look-out for guiding their artillery and troops. The incredibly super-sad part is that the Germans didn't use the building for that purpose until after it was bombed to rubble. Their spotting stations were located around and slightly below the monastery, not in it. We didn't know that. So bombs away. Of course, once the building was wrecked, the Germans used it for exactly the purpose the Allies had tried to prevent . . . .

Even when it is for a righteous cause, war really sucks.

tiretrax
05-15-2014, 11:54 AM
What's amazing is that so much ordnance is still around - bombs and mines that were buried. Too many people are injured or killed each year, especially in Belgium and northern France. The classics are raced through some of the bloodiest soil in Europe.

FlashUNC
05-15-2014, 12:00 PM
Paris-Roubaix certainly isn't the reason that region got the nickname Hell of the North.

tiretrax
05-15-2014, 12:12 PM
Paris-Roubaix certainly isn't the reason that region got the nickname Hell of the North.

Exactly. We are forutnate that Mexico and Canada are peaceful neighbors.

soulspinner
05-15-2014, 12:14 PM
the men and women of ww 2 are almost gone. That was the only war i can think of with a clear right and wrong, good vs evil if you will. I know it's never that simple but that one was about as close as you can get. Hopefully as the participants pass we'll remember them and they won't be lost to just historians and history buffs.

+1

enr1co
05-15-2014, 12:50 PM
What's amazing is that so much ordnance is still around - bombs and mines that were buried. Too many people are injured or killed each year, especially in Belgium and northern France. The classics are raced through some of the bloodiest soil in Europe.

Amazing and sad. A buddy of mine sent me this article after telling him I was planning some tourist stops at some of the WW battle sites and memorials while in Belgium:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-26654314

FlashUNC
05-15-2014, 12:58 PM
Rouleur had an article about a now-extinct race held in 1918 right after the war over some of the same land the war was fought on in Belgium and Northern France. Apparently the stench of death was still overwhelming even then. Sad stuff.

gaucho753
05-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Start of the final stage of the 1947 Tour de France, with the ruins of Caen in the backdrop.

http://i850.photobucket.com/albums/ab69/gaucho510/1947_Tour_DepartCaen_zpsa51cc3a7.jpg

(Source: The Tour de France: A Cultural History by Christopher Thompson)