PDA

View Full Version : campy power torque crank removal

sloar
05-15-2014, 09:28 AM
Has anyone figured out a cheaper way to remove the crank arm? I'm cheap and hate to spend $60 for the puller and another $40 for all the other crap. Thanks.I guess I will eventually get the correct tools, I'm just wanting the crank arm off now.

einreb
05-15-2014, 10:14 AM
do you have *any* fabrication/welding skills?

A small bearing puller works, but is not ideal. I used one then proceeded to cut it up and weld the bolt and 2 arms to some square stock. (tried to attach an image, not sure how that works).

i do have the little campy 'coin' that the 'bolt' presses against.

Note... make sure to remove the washer before you try to pull off the arm!

sloar
05-15-2014, 10:29 AM
I came up with a pretty good ideal. I was trying to use a cheap puller, which is actually a valve spring compressor. Problem was the jaws kept spreading and coming off. So I welded the jaws to a worn out spin doctor bottom bracket wrench. Worked perfectly.

http://i1134.photobucket.com/albums/m615/sloar1070/tool_zpsecd76175.jpg (http://s1134.photobucket.com/user/sloar1070/media/tool_zpsecd76175.jpg.html)

Bantamben
05-15-2014, 12:00 PM
I went to auto zone and bought a bearing or u joint puller I think it was . It was the cast aluminum thick non adjustable 2 armed puller it was just a little too small to slide over the crank so I had to cut the arms a little like a 1/4" on each side. It's really stiff so it pulls it right off. And I think it was only 10$ I think I used it like 4 times worked great

drewellison
05-15-2014, 02:51 PM
I bought a little two prong bearing puller like this, I think off of eBay or amazon or at Harbor Freight - can't remember which. Probably $10. It's worked a couple of times and hasn't broken yet.

It has put a couple little indents in the back of the crank arm, but that doesn't bother me so much. If I remember, I unscrew the fixing cap/bolt a little, then put the puller in place, and place some sort of flat handled tool under the center pin for it to push against. You just have to be careful to have it not slip while you're cranking the thing down. Slow and steady does it.

Drew